Missing Madeleine
Come join us...there's more inside you cannot see as a guest!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Missing Madeleine
Come join us...there's more inside you cannot see as a guest!
Missing Madeleine
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Govt initiative

+7
almostgothic
comperedna
Alfiefinn
Panda
kitti
Badboy
Chris
11 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

New Govt initiative - Page 2 Empty Re: New Govt initiative

Post  Wallflower Mon 14 May - 17:16

almostgothic wrote:A few years back my OH was talking to a guy who was a landlord of several properties.
One of his tenants told him that he had no money left and no food. He felt sorry for him and gave him £20 to get some grub in. He later found out that, instead of stocking up on the basics, he'd gone and bought a couple of takeaways - and was skint again.
I wonder if domestic skills are not being passed on from generation to generation quite as much as they used to be.
I watched my mother cooking and baking and in turn my kids watched me. (One of my daughters saw me removing the giblets from a turkey and shrieked:'Ooh Mam, what has he been eating!')
My OH does fabulous scrambled eggs learned at his mother's knee.
And I remember hearing how Raymond Blanc acquired his skills from his Maman.
I can recall Home Economics at school and the teacher was not very child-friendly. The lessons were dull, she was dull, and tbh there was a lot of unnecessary 'faffing about' which would never have fitted into a busy domestic routine. I especially recall 'How to clean your cutlery with jewellers rouge' - very useful for a future modern lifestyle (not). It was under these stultifying conditions that I produced my first egg custard tart and took it home. I wouldn't eat it because I was sick of seeing it. The family wouldn't eat it either. Someone ended up giving it to the dog. He buried it in the garden in disgust.

These days we grow our own produce (as far as is possible). And cook everything from scratch (as far as is possible).
From Plot to Plate - it's a lovely way to live.
It's true almostgothic, a lot of people are clueless about cooking even basics. Also after 3 or 4 generations of city living, totally unaware of how fruit and veg is grown and how to look after a plant.
Wallflower
Wallflower
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Female
Number of posts : 757
Warning :
New Govt initiative - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100New Govt initiative - Page 2 Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2009-09-02

Back to top Go down

Post  wjk Mon 14 May - 20:13

Is Sure Start compulsory for these young girls with children?
We have a centre pretty close to us but I always thought it was just a nursery. I didn't realise they did cooking for young mums etc.
wjk
wjk
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 7815
Warning :
New Govt initiative - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100New Govt initiative - Page 2 Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2009-08-20

Back to top Go down

Post  AnnaEsse Mon 14 May - 20:21

Wallflower wrote:
almostgothic wrote:A few years back my OH was talking to a guy who was a landlord of several properties.
One of his tenants told him that he had no money left and no food. He felt sorry for him and gave him £20 to get some grub in. He later found out that, instead of stocking up on the basics, he'd gone and bought a couple of takeaways - and was skint again.
I wonder if domestic skills are not being passed on from generation to generation quite as much as they used to be.
I watched my mother cooking and baking and in turn my kids watched me. (One of my daughters saw me removing the giblets from a turkey and shrieked:'Ooh Mam, what has he been eating!')
My OH does fabulous scrambled eggs learned at his mother's knee.
And I remember hearing how Raymond Blanc acquired his skills from his Maman.
I can recall Home Economics at school and the teacher was not very child-friendly. The lessons were dull, she was dull, and tbh there was a lot of unnecessary 'faffing about' which would never have fitted into a busy domestic routine. I especially recall 'How to clean your cutlery with jewellers rouge' - very useful for a future modern lifestyle (not). It was under these stultifying conditions that I produced my first egg custard tart and took it home. I wouldn't eat it because I was sick of seeing it. The family wouldn't eat it either. Someone ended up giving it to the dog. He buried it in the garden in disgust.

These days we grow our own produce (as far as is possible). And cook everything from scratch (as far as is possible).
From Plot to Plate - it's a lovely way to live.
It's true almostgothic, a lot of people are clueless about cooking even basics. Also after 3 or 4 generations of city living, totally unaware of how fruit and veg is grown and how to look after a plant.

One of my lessons with new Year 7 pupils was to do a kind of quiz with lots of vegetables: "do you know what this is?" So many couldn't identify things like parsnips and swede.

I had a worksheet with 2 diagrams, a cupboard and a fridge, and little drawings of various food items, which had to be cut out and glued onto the shelves of one or the other. So many kids got things in the wrong places. I tried out the worksheet on my grandson when he was just 4. I asked him for each food product: would this go in the cupboard or in the fridge? He got them all right because he had been helping his mum put away shopping for quite some time and knew what kind of things went where, yet quite a few 11 year olds got things in the wrong places.
AnnaEsse
AnnaEsse
Administrator
Administrator

Female
Number of posts : 18693
Warning :

Registration date : 2009-09-23

http://frommybigdesk.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Wallflower Mon 14 May - 23:33

It's sad isn't it? Probably one of the main reasons there is an obesity timebomb looming.
Wallflower
Wallflower
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Female
Number of posts : 757
Warning :

Registration date : 2009-09-02

Back to top Go down

Post  AnnaEsse Mon 14 May - 23:42

Wallflower wrote:It's sad isn't it? Probably one of the main reasons there is an obesity timebomb looming.

It is sad. I was amazed that some year 7 children couldn't decide whether food products should be in a fridge or a cupboard. I thought it was all obvious, which was the reason I tried it out on my 4 year-old grandson. The cafeteria system for school meals doesn't help, with items on the menu like filled baguettes with just a slice of cooked meat and kids walking out of there at break time chomping on a thick slice of pizza.
AnnaEsse
AnnaEsse
Administrator
Administrator

Female
Number of posts : 18693
Warning :

Registration date : 2009-09-23

http://frommybigdesk.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum