Missing Madeleine
Come join us...there's more inside you cannot see as a guest!

Freedom of expression questioned /Algarve Newswatch/Len Port

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Freedom of expression questioned /Algarve Newswatch/Len Port

Post  Annabel on Fri 21 Sep - 13:57

http://algarvenewswatch.blogspot.pt/2012/09/freedom-of-expression-questioned.html




Back in Portugal, the McCanns v Amaral action for defamation was postponed yet again last week. The parents of Madeleine McCann insist Gonçalo Amaral libelled them in his book A Verdade da Mentira (the Truth of the Lie). Plenty of people, especially in this country, believe Amaral was within his moral and legal rights to publish his opinions on the investigation he once co-ordinated. Plenty of people, particularly in the UK, believe Amaral’s actions have been criminally reprehensible, even though the ban on his book has been lifted.
The Portuguese constitution declares: “Everyone shall possess the right to freely express and publicise his thoughts in words, images or by any other means, as well as the right to inform others, inform himself and be informed without hindrance or discrimination.”
So why is Amaral, who is said to be ill and broke, facing a claim for well over a million euros in damages?
In principle, freedom of expression in free societies is a fine thing. But how free are we really?





Annabel
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 3528
Location : Europe
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2009-08-25

Back to top Go down

Re: Freedom of expression questioned /Algarve Newswatch/Len Port

Post  weissnicht on Fri 21 Sep - 15:14

Portugues court/judges should question Mccanns motives for the libel case. k8 wrote!!, in her stupid Bewk, that she thinks Dr. Amaral deserve to suffer... the judges should really question if this "libel" case is just k8s personal vendetta. Just pure evil, from a vindictive woman.

weissnicht
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Number of posts : 810
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2009-09-10

Back to top Go down

Re: Freedom of expression questioned /Algarve Newswatch/Len Port

Post  Keela on Fri 21 Sep - 15:58

Am I missing something? What exactly did he say in his book which libelled them. Did he call them scumm shifting liars, child neglectors, or anything else which would be detimental to them? No. He only repeated the conclusion which the investigation arrived at. I don't call this libel. I call it viciousness inthe extreme, a vendetta against a man only doing his job, an attempt to scrape themselves out of a hole and an arse saving exercise to protect livelihoods, careers and lifestyles by two of the most despicable people to walk the earth since dinosaurs left it.

Keela
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 2302
Age : 63
Location : Darkened room, hoping for the best.
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2009-08-24

Back to top Go down

Re: Freedom of expression questioned /Algarve Newswatch/Len Port

Post  duncanmac on Fri 21 Sep - 16:22

It will all come down to how professional, fair and loyal the Portuguese justice system is to one of their own.
Not sure I am that confident, if a nobody like G Brown can brow beat Socrates.

duncanmac
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Number of posts : 594
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2009-10-16

Back to top Go down

Re: Freedom of expression questioned /Algarve Newswatch/Len Port

Post  Claudia79 on Fri 21 Sep - 16:34

duncanmac wrote:It will all come down to how professional, fair and loyal the Portuguese justice system is to one of their own.
Not sure I am that confident, if a nobody like G Brown can brow beat Socrates.

I don't want the justice system to act out of loyalty to one of their own. I want the justice system to respect the Portuguese Constitution. That will do it.

Claudia79
Administrator
Administrator

Female
Number of posts : 7004
Age : 37
Location : Portugal
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2009-08-25

http://proud-of-the-pj.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Freedom of expression questioned /Algarve Newswatch/Len Port

Post  duncanmac on Fri 21 Sep - 21:04

As I see it, all the Portuguese constitution has done so far, is remove the honorable man from his duties for merely getting too close to the truth of what happened to the child, just because the UK government requested.
The excuse given by the PJ for removing him from his job was little short of pathetic.

duncanmac
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Number of posts : 594
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2009-10-16

Back to top Go down

Re: Freedom of expression questioned /Algarve Newswatch/Len Port

Post  fred on Fri 21 Sep - 21:56

duncanmac wrote:As I see it, all the Portuguese constitution has done so far, is remove the honorable man from his duties for merely getting too close to the truth of what happened to the child, just because the UK government requested.
The excuse given by the PJ for removing him from his job was little short of pathetic.

Can't argue with that!!

fred
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Number of posts : 4827
Location : Dining in my back garden
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2009-08-25

Back to top Go down

Re: Freedom of expression questioned /Algarve Newswatch/Len Port

Post  malena stool on Fri 21 Sep - 22:43

Annabel wrote:http://algarvenewswatch.blogspot.pt/2012/09/freedom-of-expression-questioned.html




Back in Portugal, the McCanns v Amaral action for defamation was postponed yet again last week. The parents of Madeleine McCann insist Gonçalo Amaral libelled them in his book A Verdade da Mentira (the Truth of the Lie). Plenty of people, especially in this country, believe Amaral was within his moral and legal rights to publish his opinions on the investigation he once co-ordinated. Plenty of people, particularly in the UK, believe Amaral’s actions have been criminally reprehensible, even though the ban on his book has been lifted.
The Portuguese constitution declares: “Everyone shall possess the right to freely express and publicise his thoughts in words, images or by any other means, as well as the right to inform others, inform himself and be informed without hindrance or discrimination.”
So why is Amaral, who is said to be ill and broke, facing a claim for well over a million euros in damages?
In principle, freedom of expression in free societies is a fine thing. But how free are we really?

We are no more free now Annabel than we were when children were pushed up chimneys or when our forebears were transported across the world for having to steal to feed their families!
Sure we have the vote, but whoever we elect turn out to be as big a pack of liars, thieves and charlatans than the group just ousted.
How many politicians are serving time for their blatant and deceitful thefts from the public purse? How many aliens buy their way into politics and carry on their career of deceit here in the UK?

Likewise with Amaral, his career, his life and his rights along with those of his family have been turned into a living hell, seemingly at the request of the leading politician of a foreign power. A politician who obtained his position by default, not the vote.


malena stool
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Male
Number of posts : 13246
Location : Spare room above the kitchen
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2009-10-04

Back to top Go down

Re: Freedom of expression questioned /Algarve Newswatch/Len Port

Post  Claudia79 on Fri 21 Sep - 23:01

duncanmac wrote:As I see it, all the Portuguese constitution has done so far, is remove the honorable man from his duties for merely getting too close to the truth of what happened to the child, just because the UK government requested.
The excuse given by the PJ for removing him from his job was little short of pathetic.

The Portuguese Constitution doesn't do anything. People who apply it (or not) do. And that is the danger. Some people do it right. Others don't. Some people take the pressure and deal with it. Some cave in. And to be honest, that is not entirely true. Read the Acordão from the judges who allowed the book to go back on sale and it is all there.

Claudia79
Administrator
Administrator

Female
Number of posts : 7004
Age : 37
Location : Portugal
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2009-08-25

http://proud-of-the-pj.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Freedom of expression questioned /Algarve Newswatch/Len Port

Post  kitti on Sat 22 Sep - 8:25

'the fucking tosser'..just WHO is libelling WHO?



Doesn't a person have to prove that this other person is a 'fucking tosser'....

kitti
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 13376
Age : 106
Location : London
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2009-06-21

Back to top Go down

Re: Freedom of expression questioned /Algarve Newswatch/Len Port

Post  Sponsored content Today at 12:52


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum