Missing Madeleine
Come join us...there's more inside you cannot see as a guest!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Missing Madeleine
Come join us...there's more inside you cannot see as a guest!
Missing Madeleine
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

£1500.00?

+2
AnnaEsse
BelEddie
6 posters

Go down

£1500.00? Empty £1500.00?

Post  BelEddie Tue 1 Jan - 10:07

I have just been reading on jillhaven and came across a thread about the apartment. The mcscams paid £1500.00 for one week in a crappy little apartment, hard to believe. I thought they were broke at that particular time.
BelEddie
BelEddie
Rookie
Rookie

Number of posts : 145
Warning :
£1500.00? Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100£1500.00? Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2011-08-03

Back to top Go down

£1500.00? Empty Re: £1500.00?

Post  Panda Tue 1 Jan - 10:35

BelEddie wrote:I have just been reading on jillhaven and came across a thread about the apartment. The mcscams paid £1500.00 for one week in a crappy little apartment, hard to believe. I thought they were broke at that particular time.

That was for a two-bedroom apartment and meals included , I don't think it was too expensive. Yes, they were, which I think was the reason for the Portugese to request copies of their Bank Statements. They asked for 6 months but the Home Secretary said that was too intrusive and to submit a revised request which they never did. I would imagine the McCanns were overdrawn or had a loan facility.
Panda
Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 30555
Warning :

Registration date : 2010-03-27

Back to top Go down

Post  AnnaEsse Tue 1 Jan - 10:48

Panda wrote:
BelEddie wrote:I have just been reading on jillhaven and came across a thread about the apartment. The mcscams paid £1500.00 for one week in a crappy little apartment, hard to believe. I thought they were broke at that particular time.

That was for a two-bedroom apartment and meals included , I don't think it was too expensive. Yes, they were, which I think was the reason for the Portugese to request copies of their Bank Statements. They asked for 6 months but the Home Secretary said that was too intrusive and to submit a revised request which they never did. I would imagine the McCanns were overdrawn or had a loan facility.

Well, their mortgage was with Northern Rock, which went down the Swanee because of the very generous loans they were handing out. Soon after Maddie disappeared and the fund was siphoning cash, the McCanns changed their mortgage lender. Mmmm!!
AnnaEsse
AnnaEsse
Administrator
Administrator

Female
Number of posts : 18693
Warning :

Registration date : 2009-09-23

http://frommybigdesk.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue 1 Jan - 11:14

There's been a lot of speculation about whether the McCanns were skint, and there's a lot of evidence to support that theory, but remember they are very much of the "Keeping Up Appearances" mould. A little thing like being skint wouldn't stop them going on holiday with the pals they were so "into".

In the very early pictures, a lot of Kate's and the kids clothing is from Asda. In her book she even describes Maddie's top from Gap as an "extravagance". Yet after only a very short time she's wearing expensive gear and a Rolex. That's what makes me very suspicious about the "fund"!
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Panda Tue 1 Jan - 11:23

I remember reading a long time ago that Gerry went to his local Bank to collect £4,700.00 donated in collection boxes at the counter. I wondered at the time why he went to collect rather than the Bank send a cheque to the Fund Bank Account. Was the Cheque made payable to him?
Panda
Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  tigger Tue 1 Jan - 11:39

Iris wrote:There's been a lot of speculation about whether the McCanns were skint, and there's a lot of evidence to support that theory, but remember they are very much of the "Keeping Up Appearances" mould. A little thing like being skint wouldn't stop them going on holiday with the pals they were so "into".

In the very early pictures, a lot of Kate's and the kids clothing is from Asda. In her book she even describes Maddie's top from Gap as an "extravagance". Yet after only a very short time she's wearing expensive gear and a Rolex. That's what makes me very suspicious about the "fund"!

I have read that they often went out for meals in rather expensive restaurants, it also seems from a number of statements from e.g. the owner of a nearby pub, that they had a nanny. I expect there was a cleaner as well.
On top of that it seems there were frequent weekend trips.
I have a feeling that buying clothes for the children was always a chore. I've seen a shot of Amelie's shoe with the toe cut off to make a sandal. It's in one of the videos. They had plenty of money to spend on the twins by then. But the diary recounts a terrible trip in order to buy shoes for the twins.
I almost feel there was a sort of resentment in having to spend any money on others, no matter who.

Interesting about the Rolex because most of her clothes are hardly classy. Certainly they embraced the new lifestyle with gusto, even complaining about the free aircraft lent them by Lord Green as being too cramped, not your luxury Cessna then.
In addition, I think that they meant to stay in Portugal for at least quite a few years to come. They felt closest to Maddie there, although they also said she'd been taken over the border within an hour.
They should have felt closest to Maddie in Rothley. That's the instinctive behaviour, be safe, make yourself and children safe in a familiar place.
tigger
tigger
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 1740
Warning :

Registration date : 2011-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue 1 Jan - 12:02

Auntie Blabbermouth even said, in the early days, that other family members had to help them out. She also stated quite plainly that they needed Kate's salary and that the family would be facing hardship if Kate didn't work.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Panda Tue 1 Jan - 12:20

I don't think they had a Nanny, more like a cleaner who babysat at times. Kate was still under maternity leave when they went to Portugal and never went back to the Practice where she had worked one and a half days a week.

They had not very long moved from Queniborough and the house in Rothley was a lot more expensive. Not very good planners were they, many people would have managed on their joint income, apart from Gerry's Salary at Glenfields he did private work.
Panda
Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  jd16 Tue 1 Jan - 14:51

Panda wrote:

The financial statements would show if their other "holiday" just a few weeks before PDL to Dongeal was true or not

If SY are honest and not corrupt, they would be looking at all these statements...Bet they don't even think about looking at them, but how to pin it on Hewlett instead
jd16
jd16
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Number of posts : 1049
Warning :

Registration date : 2012-01-27

Back to top Go down

Post  Panda Tue 1 Jan - 15:36

jd16 wrote:
Panda wrote:

The financial statements would show if their other "holiday" just a few weeks before PDL to Dongeal was true or not

If SY are honest and not corrupt, they would be looking at all these statements...Bet they don't even think about looking at them, but how to pin it on Hewlett instead

I would like to think SY would be impartial and with the time and cost involved ,with 30 Detectives and 5 clerical staff my guess is they have done a thorough investigation , not just looked for PJ incompetence. Much depends on the information in the shelved files which I would think SY had access to , if only for the PJ to close the case once the review is completed.
Panda
Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  kitti Tue 8 Jan - 11:25

Don't forget the three off them were in the creche every morning and afternoon......£150 each...that's another £400 plus, that's why the others only went either morning or afternoon as it was free.

I don't believe the others had their kids in the creche all day.
kitti
kitti
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 13400
Warning :

Registration date : 2009-06-21

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content