Missing Madeleine
Come join us...there's more inside you cannot see as a guest!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Missing Madeleine
Come join us...there's more inside you cannot see as a guest!
Missing Madeleine
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What About Me? Coping With The Abduction Of A Brother Or Sister - dedicated to Sean and Amelie

2 posters

Go down

What About Me? Coping With The Abduction Of A Brother Or Sister - dedicated to Sean and Amelie Empty What About Me? Coping With The Abduction Of A Brother Or Sister - dedicated to Sean and Amelie

Post  Guest Mon 1 Feb - 18:35

DEDICATED TO SEAN AND AMELIE - BY SCHNUFFEL

What About Me? COPING WITH THE ABDUCTION OF A BROTHER OR SISTER

Written by siblings of children who have been abducted, this guide contains information to help and support children of all ages when their brother or sister is kidnapped. The guide provides ideas on what children can expect in terms of the feelings they may experience, the events that may occur from day to day, and the things they can do to help themselves feel better. Written in child-friendly language, it is divided into such sections as: home, family, law enforcement, the media, school and work, and holidays and anniversaries. In addition, the guide contains activity pages for children of all ages, including those who are too young to read.

If you are reading this because your brother or sister was abducted, this guide is for you.

If you are reading this because someone you know—a friend, a classmate, or a neighbor has been abducted, this guide is for you.

If you feel that nobody could possibly understand what you’re going through, this guide is for you.

Yesterday, your brother or sister was abducted. Today, it seems like your life will never be the same again. Your thoughts are spinning around your head. You may be thinking:

"I can't believe this is happening to me"

"Things like this only happen on TV"

"I feel like I am having a nightmare - only I can't wake up"

"What about me? I'm afraid the same thing might happened to me"

That’s just the beginning. You probably have a million questions but are not sure where to find the answers. Where can you find support and encouragement? Who might help you feel better? What can you do to help find your sibling? Has anyone else ever felt this way before?

Yes. The people who wrote this book understand what you are going through.

U.S. Department of Justice - Office of Justice Programs
Office of Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention

http://www.ojjdp.ncjrs.gov/Publications/PubAbstract.asp?pubi=239397

Last edited by Schnuffel on Sat 6 Feb - 1:07; edited 1 time in total
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

What About Me? Coping With The Abduction Of A Brother Or Sister - dedicated to Sean and Amelie Empty Re: What About Me? Coping With The Abduction Of A Brother Or Sister - dedicated to Sean and Amelie

Post  Susan Mon 1 Feb - 19:42

This is excellent Schnuffel!

I'll pass it onto Audrey Fitzpatrick if you dont mind....

Nice seeing you back What About Me? Coping With The Abduction Of A Brother Or Sister - dedicated to Sean and Amelie Icon_flower
Susan
Susan
Administrator
Administrator

Female
Number of posts : 11477
Location : Spain. The place where children are welcome in tapas bars
Warning :
What About Me? Coping With The Abduction Of A Brother Or Sister - dedicated to Sean and Amelie Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100What About Me? Coping With The Abduction Of A Brother Or Sister - dedicated to Sean and Amelie Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2008-07-21

https://missingmadeleine.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

What About Me? Coping With The Abduction Of A Brother Or Sister - dedicated to Sean and Amelie Empty Re: What About Me? Coping With The Abduction Of A Brother Or Sister - dedicated to Sean and Amelie

Post  Guest Mon 1 Feb - 20:37

Ambersuz wrote:This is excellent Schnuffel!

I'll pass it onto Audrey Fitzpatrick if you dont mind....

Nice seeing you back What About Me? Coping With The Abduction Of A Brother Or Sister - dedicated to Sean and Amelie Icon_flower

Please feel free to pass the info on to Audrey & whomever else you feel the info may be of help to Amber. God forbid any of us from having to go through such a terrible ordeal however it is reassuring to know that advice, help & guidance is instantly available at the click of a mouse. Take care Amber. What About Me? Coping With The Abduction Of A Brother Or Sister - dedicated to Sean and Amelie Icon_flower
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon 1 Feb - 22:12

I read a novel once called, "Unstolen", it's a brilliant look into how it was for a girl who was 'left behind' when her brother was abducted. It is on Amazon for £6:29

What About Me? Coping With The Abduction Of A Brother Or Sister - dedicated to Sean and Amelie 41GFwVNxtNL._SL500_AA240_

Red Bookclub Book of the Month
'a book that should be read...compelling.’

Product Description

"The thing about being the unstolen one is that you’d better be strong, you’d better stay safe, you’d better not rock any boats or surely they will sink. People depend on you, people who can’t take any more stress in their lives and you’d better count yourself lucky because after all, you weren’t taken, you’re still here and you better be grateful for all that’s been given to you because your brother sure didn’t get anything . . . "

Bethany Fisher’s life has always been overshadowed by her missing brother. Four-year-old Michael was abducted when Bethany was a baby and no trace of him was ever found.

Twenty years later, Bethany is a college graduate and has a small son of her own. But her life is thrown into turmoil one evening when her mother follows a man home from the supermarket and savagely beats him to death. What could have made this mild, middle-aged woman suddenly snap?

Packing the emotional punch of "The Lovely Bones", this powerful novel explores how the comforting lies we tell ourselves can be ultimately more destructive than confronting difficult truths.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue 2 Feb - 21:35

What About Me? Siblings of Abducted Children

http://coltonleviclark.wordpress.com/2008/09/27/september-08-featured-case-what-about-me-siblings-of-abducted-children/

In researching some old cases (Mainly the Jacob Wetterling case) I came across an article about a video produced by siblings of abducted children and how to cope. I wondered why I hadn’t seen or heard of this video before because it seems it would be of great comfort to others in their shoes and since I am constantly researching information regarding missing people, especially children; it seems as though I would have heard of it.

Regardless, I watched these children describe what they have been through and give encouragement and hope to those that may have also lost a sibling to such a rare event.

Summary

All of these people, these children of abducted children have very different stories. Some have at least the solace that their loved one has been recovered and grieve, while others still may never know what happened. Still, the pain is there for them all, and in that pain and the loneliness of losing someone so close in such a horrific way, they have bonded together. Hopefully the video can help others along the way.

I personally would like to thank them for sharing their story and making those of us who have never had to face such a tragedy, understand it just a little more.

The Video – What About Me? Coping With The Abduction Of A Brother Or Sister

What About Me? Coping With The Abduction Of A Brother Or Sister - dedicated to Sean and Amelie Sibblings
Siblings of Abducted Children - What About Me?

Please click the link below to watch the Project Safe Childhood - What About Me? Coping With The Abduction Of A Brother Or Sister video.

http://www.projectsafechildhood.gov/whataboutme.htm

Last edited by Schnuffel on Tue 2 Feb - 21:47; edited 1 time in total
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue 2 Feb - 22:18

eddie wrote:Evening Schnuffel, great thread What About Me? Coping With The Abduction Of A Brother Or Sister - dedicated to Sean and Amelie Icon_flower

I would like to dedicate this thread to all siblings of abducted children including Sean and Amelie McCann if I may eddie. Please feel free to share these invaluable resources of advice, help & support for the siblings of abducted children with other forums, etc that are dedicated to missing/abducted children. Thank you. What About Me? Coping With The Abduction Of A Brother Or Sister - dedicated to Sean and Amelie Icon_flower
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue 2 Feb - 22:21

Schnuffel wrote:
eddie wrote:Evening Schnuffel, great thread What About Me? Coping With The Abduction Of A Brother Or Sister - dedicated to Sean and Amelie Icon_flower

I would like to dedicate this thread to all siblings of abducted children including Sean and Amelie McCann if I may eddie. Please feel free to share these invaluable resources of advice, help & support for the siblings of abducted children with other forums, etc that are dedicated to missing/abducted children. Thank you. What About Me? Coping With The Abduction Of A Brother Or Sister - dedicated to Sean and Amelie Icon_flower

I have edited your post at the top to include your dedication What About Me? Coping With The Abduction Of A Brother Or Sister - dedicated to Sean and Amelie Icon_flower
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  dumouchelwolf Fri 5 Feb - 7:58

Thank you Schnuffel

We do not realise how many are left behind.

I never really gave it any thought until reading this

Well done to bring this to our attention

What About Me? Coping With The Abduction Of A Brother Or Sister - dedicated to Sean and Amelie 307691
dumouchelwolf
dumouchelwolf
Reg Member
Reg Member

Female
Number of posts : 237
Warning :
What About Me? Coping With The Abduction Of A Brother Or Sister - dedicated to Sean and Amelie Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100What About Me? Coping With The Abduction Of A Brother Or Sister - dedicated to Sean and Amelie Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2010-02-02

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun 7 Feb - 1:38

Wetterling Siblings Reach Out To Other Kids

May 22, 2007

This fall marks the 18 years since a stranger abducted 11-year-old Jacob Wetterling from his home in rural St. Joseph, Minnesota. He hasn't been seen since.

Jacob was biking home with his younger brother Trevor and a friend. They had gone to a convenience store to rent a video. On the way home, Jacob was abducted at gunpoint by a masked man who ordered the other boys to run.

"I sometimes have dreams about it that I don't really remember," said Trevor. "There is an unknown, we really can't think differently until there is proof."

While Trevor and his sisters, Amy and Carmen, wait for answers to what happened to Jacob, the siblings have helped produce a survivors guide and video for other children whose siblings have been abducted.

Six other siblings of abduction victims worked on the book with the Wetterlings. The book was unveiled at a U.S. Department of Justice ceremony May 18 in Washington, D.C. where Attorney General Alberto Gonzales was the keynote speaker. It was a very emotional ceremony with lots of tears and hugs as the video was shown in a packed theater.

The nine siblings said they developed a strong bond as they shared their stories which were included in the book. The book is called, "What About Me? Coping with the Abduction of a Brother or Sister".

The Wetterlings said it was comforting to see how much they had in common with the other siblings who came from opposite ends of the country. They hope it helps future victims' siblings (sadly, the Wetterlings are still the only siblings involved in the project who still don't know what happened to their loved one).

"If you are a sibling going through this, that they know that they are not alone," said Carmen.

In the video, Amy talked about facing Jacob's birthdays without knowing where he was.

"I think we still have birthday presents in our garage wrapped up for Jacob from the first few years," she said.

Trevor talked about his frustration when he heard police investigators question whether he was telling the truth about the abductor carrying a gun.

"They kept questioning like I wasn't telling them the truth," he said.

"I can't imagine anybody questioning that?" asked Caroline Lowe.

"That really made me angry because, I was like, well let me put a gun to your head and then see what you do or see what you say, you know?" said Trevor.

Trevor was only in the fourth grade when Jacob was abducted. He said kids were sometimes cruel, second-guessing how he handled the situation.

Amy, the oldest Wetterling child, said, "I think Trevor's come a long way in having to come to terms with what happened and that he didn't, there wasn't anything he could have done to prevent it."

The Wetterling siblings have avoided the media spotlight. They only agreed to talk publicly about their experiences to raise awareness of the sibling survival guide.

While the Wetterlings are helping others, they are still waiting for answers to what happened to their brother.

"It's been more than half of all of our lives we have gone through having one less person in our family. It doesn't necessarily get easier, you, I guess, just learn how to live life," said Amy.

Amy and Carmen are both married now and Amy has two young daughters. Trevor has moved out of state and sells real estate.

http://wcco.com/topstories/Jacob.Wetterling.siblings.2.367636.html
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down