Missing Madeleine
Come join us...there's more inside you cannot see as a guest!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Missing Madeleine
Come join us...there's more inside you cannot see as a guest!
Missing Madeleine
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UK Goverment To Sell White Cliffs of Dover

Go down

UK Goverment To Sell White Cliffs of Dover Empty UK Goverment To Sell White Cliffs of Dover

Post  Guest Sun 7 Feb - 20:24

When I saw this News article I wondered if it was a joke, an early April Fools Day gag, but no it seems that the Goverment are seriously considering selling Dover to the French. I'm afraid I haven't got a link but it's in the Daily Mail online. I think they're talking about the Port of Dover as it's losing money. Just when you think that this Goverment can't stoop any lower, they do. They'll be selling off England as a country next. I didn't think that they would be legally able to sell off an English port but I don't know how the law is framed/worded in this context. Can you imagine the uproar there would be if France wanted to sell the Port of Calais ? I thought I'd place this on the forum as I haven't seen it mentioned. I'm disgusted by this and I hope people will speak out against this proposal.
All best wishes Rose xx
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

UK Goverment To Sell White Cliffs of Dover Empty Re: UK Goverment To Sell White Cliffs of Dover

Post  Guest Mon 8 Feb - 9:31

Well they sold them a bridge. Maybe next they'll sell the Houses of Parliament with Brown innit UK Goverment To Sell White Cliffs of Dover 294124
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

UK Goverment To Sell White Cliffs of Dover Empty Re: UK Goverment To Sell White Cliffs of Dover

Post  Guest Thu 11 Feb - 19:30

Alpha wrote:Well they sold them a bridge. Maybe next they'll sell the Houses of Parliament with Brown innit UK Goverment To Sell White Cliffs of Dover 294124

Alpha, Selling the Houses of Parliament with Brown innit. Lol.lol.lol. UK Goverment To Sell White Cliffs of Dover 23324 UK Goverment To Sell White Cliffs of Dover 23324
Thanks for making me laugh xx
All best wishes Rose xxx UK Goverment To Sell White Cliffs of Dover Icon_flower
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu 11 Feb - 19:34

White Cliffs of Dover to be sold to the French to help reduce Government's debt

By Vanessa Allen
Last updated at 10:11 AM on 08th February 2010

For generations Dover has stood as an indomitable symbol of Britain’s freedom and independence.

The town, with its white cliffs, port and sprawling castle stood at the very edge of the nation’s frontier with the Continent.

But now part of that proud history is up for sale and the leading bidder is revealed as the former age-old enemy – France.
Spitfire over the White Cliffs of Dover

Heritage of defiance: A Spitfire over the White Cliffs of Dover

The Port of Dover is being recommended by Government advisers for sale to the French authorities.

It is one of a string of public assets which have been earmarked for privatisation as the Government battles with a record £830billion national debt.

The proposal for the port has prompted outrage.

Prospective Tory MP for Dover Charles Elphicke said: ‘It’s clear Gordon Brown has no sense of the history of our nation or the pride of our town.

‘How dare he consider selling it all off to the French? Dover is the English border. The people of Dover have a clear message for him – hands off our port, hands off the English border.’
Dover's past graphic

A sale of the Port of Dover, Europe’s busiest ferry port, could net up to £350million for the Treasury. Its harbour board applied to the Transport Secretary for voluntary privatisation last month.

The sale is expected to be rubber-stamped and the leading bidder has emerged as Nord-pas-de-Calais regional council, which also owns Calais.
gerry

Broker: Gerry Grimstone, chairman of Standard Life, is advising the Government on the possible sale of Dover port

The French port is just 21 miles away across the Channel and the sale would mark a dramatic reversal in the fortunes of the two towns. Calais was captured by the English under Edward III in 1347, and the occupation lasted for more than two centuries.

The Port of Dover is the largest British port still in the public sector and made a profit of £15.1million in 2008.

It is a ‘trust port’, meaning all revenues are reinvested into it, and it is now seeking £400million to expand. Bosses anticipate a doubling in freight traffic by 2040.

Chief executive Bob Goldfield said: ‘The time is right for the voluntary privatisation of Dover. We want to invest around £400million on a second terminal and need to invest in the existing terminal, but are unable to because of public sector borrowing constraints. We want to throw off the shackles.’

Other major ports were sold off under the 1991 Ports Act, but Dover was retained because of uncertainty over how construction of the Channel Tunnel might affect it.

Gwyn Prosser, the town’s Labour MP, warned that jobs could be lost. The port’s workforce has shrunk by 60 per cent over the past eight years.

Mr Prosser said: ‘This is a strategic asset and we must be careful about the import of foreign capital.’

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1249194/Dover-symbol-British-sovereignty-sold-French-help-reduce-debt.html#ixzz0fG2NGLQJ
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu 11 Feb - 23:11

UK Goverment To Sell White Cliffs of Dover 389741 UK Goverment To Sell White Cliffs of Dover 87849

THEY CAN'T!! THE WHITE CLIFFS OF DOVER ARE QUINTESSENTIALLY BRITISH!!!!

UK Goverment To Sell White Cliffs of Dover 15327 Not too sure how to spell the Q word up there ^^^^^^ and even if I have used it right.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri 12 Feb - 1:39

The Ports and Dockers, were attacked and split up, around the time Thatcher attacked the Miners.

A quick skim of industrial history will tell you that the UK sell off their "methods of Production" but retain the licences. Commision.

Globalisation is a direct result of inter-capitalist gov's attempting to profiteer from "interlecuall propety and rights".

Think "Railways and Indudusrial" revolution.

Here endeth todays lesson in marxsism. UK Goverment To Sell White Cliffs of Dover 613255

I'm not an expert, but I'm not an idiot, either. UK Goverment To Sell White Cliffs of Dover 23324
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down