Missing Madeleine
Come join us...there's more inside you cannot see as a guest!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Missing Madeleine
Come join us...there's more inside you cannot see as a guest!
Missing Madeleine
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Irish family are 'key witnesses' in the new Maddie investigation

+7
mara thon
cherry1
wjk
Wintabells
pennylane
mumbles
Annabel
11 posters

Go down

Irish family are 'key witnesses' in the new Maddie investigation  Empty Irish family are 'key witnesses' in the new Maddie investigation

Post  Annabel Thu 3 May - 16:24

http://www.herald.ie/news/irish-family-are-key-witnesses-in-the-new-maddie-investigation-3097773.html

By Niall O'Connor

Thursday May 03 2012

AN IRISH family will be part of a major new probe into the disappearance of Madeleine McCann, the Herald can reveal.

Louth couple Martin and Mary Smith were holidaying in the Portuguese resort of Praia da Luz on the night Madeleine went missing five years ago.

The couple and their children saw a man carrying a child, matching Maddie's description, barefoot through the town on the night of May 3, 2007.

In her book Madeleine, Kate McCann describes this sighting as one of the strongest indications that Maddie (then three) was abducted.

The Herald understands that the launch of a major new probe into the little girl's disappearance will centre around the recollections of the Smith family, who live in Drogheda.

Police reports state that Mr and Mrs Smith left Kelly's Bar in the resort at approximately 10pm when they passed a male they said was carrying a young girl who was barefoot.

Confident

Today Mrs Smith revealed that the family is prepared to be interviewed by investigators about the events of that night.

She told the Herald: "We've heard nothing for ages now.

"We have not been contacted. However, when we are we will cooperate fully," she said.

"It is such a tragic and saddening incident -- what happened to that family is not nice at all. But I can't tell you anymore because we haven't heard anything yet," she added.

The Herald understands that the couple's evidence will prove vital to police hoping to devise a photofit of the prime suspect.

Last week detectives at Scotland Yard in London announced that they have discovered 195 possible new leads. They urged Portuguese authorities to re-open their enquiry.

Madeleine's desperate parents, Kate and Gerry, have told how they believe all "leads" will be scoured by investigators in both the UK and Portugal in a new probe.

"If there is any kind of lead that hasn't been investigated properly we want police looking at it," said Kate (44).

Madeleine was almost four- years-old when she vanished from her bed in her parents' apartment at the Ocean Club holiday resort in Praia da Luz between 9.35pm and 10pm on May 3, 2007.

The Smiths were previously quizzed by investigators after they recalled seeing a man carrying a young child through the Portuguese town.

Any new probe by Scotland Yard is certain to involve the family being asked to provide information again.

Speaking as police announce that they have uncovered new leads, Gerry (43) revealed how the family are more confident than ever that Madeleine will be found alive.

"It does feel finally someone in the authorities, British authorities, are actually trying to find Madeleine," he said.

"I'm more confident now than at any point for the last four-and-a-half years we will find her and who is responsible for taking her," he added.

hnews@herald.ie
Annabel
Annabel
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 3528
Warning :
Irish family are 'key witnesses' in the new Maddie investigation  Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Irish family are 'key witnesses' in the new Maddie investigation  Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2009-08-25

Back to top Go down

Irish family are 'key witnesses' in the new Maddie investigation  Empty Re: Irish family are 'key witnesses' in the new Maddie investigation

Post  Guest Thu 3 May - 16:27

How very Hurtful and Unhelpful.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Irish family are 'key witnesses' in the new Maddie investigation  Empty Re: Irish family are 'key witnesses' in the new Maddie investigation

Post  mumbles Thu 3 May - 17:36

"We have not been contacted. However, when we are we will cooperate fully," she said.

"It is such a tragic and saddening incident -- what happened to that family is not nice at all. But I can't tell you anymore because we haven't heard anything yet," she added.

Hmm...

I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall when Brian Kennedy came knocking!
mumbles
mumbles
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 2121
Warning :
Irish family are 'key witnesses' in the new Maddie investigation  Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Irish family are 'key witnesses' in the new Maddie investigation  Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2009-02-03

Back to top Go down

Post  kitti Thu 3 May - 17:43

I wonder if the smiths sighing off Gerry McCann will evolve into bundleman/pimpleman ?
kitti
kitti
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 13400
Warning :

Registration date : 2009-06-21

Back to top Go down

Post  mumbles Thu 3 May - 17:54

kitti wrote:I wonder if the smiths sighing off Gerry McCann will evolve into bundleman/pimpleman ?

That's exactly what I'm wondering Kitti. Irish family are 'key witnesses' in the new Maddie investigation  49091
mumbles
mumbles
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 2121
Warning :

Registration date : 2009-02-03

Back to top Go down

Post  pennylane Thu 3 May - 17:54

mumbles wrote:
kitti wrote:I wonder if the smiths sighing off Gerry McCann will evolve into bundleman/pimpleman ?

That's exactly what I'm wondering Kitti. Irish family are 'key witnesses' in the new Maddie investigation  49091

I would bet money on it!
pennylane
pennylane
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Number of posts : 5353
Warning :

Registration date : 2010-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post  wjk Thu 3 May - 17:56

Yep, I wonder what Kennedy said to the Smiths when he paid them a visit?
wjk
wjk
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 7815
Warning :

Registration date : 2009-08-20

Back to top Go down

Post  cherry1 Thu 3 May - 18:13

I dont understand why Kennedy was allowed to go and see Smith, I would have thought
that was interfering with witnesses.
cherry1
cherry1
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 6529
Warning :

Registration date : 2012-02-03

Back to top Go down

Post  wjk Thu 3 May - 18:16

cherry1 wrote:I dont understand why Kennedy was allowed to go and see Smith, I would have thought
Yep, I hope Mr Smith sticks to his original statements, else it would look a bit suspect imo.

Last edited by wjk on Thu 3 May - 18:18; edited 1 time in total
wjk
wjk
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  pennylane Thu 3 May - 18:16

cherry1 wrote:I dont understand why Kennedy was allowed to go and see Smith, I would have thought

Not to mention Robert Murat.

Goodness knows who else Kennedy paid payed a visit to!
pennylane
pennylane
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Number of posts : 5353
Warning :

Registration date : 2010-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post  Wintabells Thu 3 May - 18:45

''I would be 60 to 80% sure that it was Gerry McCann that I met that night carrying a child,

Martin Smith.
Wintabells
Wintabells
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Number of posts : 1331
Warning :

Registration date : 2011-02-28

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu 3 May - 19:02

wjk wrote:
Yep, I hope Mr Smith sticks to his original statements, else it would look a bit suspect imo.

TBH that worries me greatly. There is not one media piece, not one, that states that Mr Smith believed he saw Gerry McCann. I hope he's not been "got at".
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  wjk Thu 3 May - 19:07

Iris wrote:
wjk wrote:

TBH that worries me greatly. There is not one media piece, not one, that states that Mr Smith believed he saw Gerry McCann. I hope he's not been "got at".
It worries me too, Iris. And we probably won't know what Mr Smith tells SY. That will be the kind of thing they DO keep quiet about unlike the '195 new leads'.
wjk
wjk
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  cherry1 Thu 3 May - 19:13

If Smith suddenly changes what he said it would look suspect and the Police may
be asking questions about whether certain people are perverting the course of justice imo
cherry1
cherry1
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 6529
Warning :

Registration date : 2012-02-03

Back to top Go down

Post  jd16 Thu 3 May - 20:00

Smith can't change his statements now, its too well documented to the public...not even brian kennedy can interfere
jd16
jd16
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Number of posts : 1049
Warning :

Registration date : 2012-01-27

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu 3 May - 20:08

One trusts not, but the tentacles of McCannical Engineering are widespread.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  laurie Thu 3 May - 21:07

I don't understand how Andy Redwood found 195 new leads when SY have only gone through 40% of the Files. How many more new leads will be found when the other 60% has been delved into?. Beats me where all these new leads came from but in saying that i took out of it that he was making the PJ out to be incompetent
Today the Daily Star has said about the Cabbie who said he had Madeleine in his cab along with two men and one woman the next day after she disappeared. I think everyone will remember that one but iirc the PJ said it would not work in with the events of the timeline by the McCanns and Co, so why are Kate and Gerry bustling with hope that it could have been Madeleine after 5 years has elapsed. Why did they stay mum then when they knew about this sighting just like they knew abut the Smyths but rejected it.
They need to reopen the case and get McCann and Co to do a recon that is the only way forward imo

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/view/249209/I-DROVE-MADDIE-IN-CAB/

Last edited by laurie on Thu 3 May - 21:16; edited 1 time in total
laurie
laurie
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Female
Number of posts : 972
Warning :

Registration date : 2008-07-29

Back to top Go down

Post  mara thon Thu 3 May - 21:12

mumbles wrote:

My first thoughts too, but who knows, maybe we'll get a scarface now Irish family are 'key witnesses' in the new Maddie investigation  294124
mara thon
mara thon
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Number of posts : 7076
Warning :

Registration date : 2009-08-21

Back to top Go down

Post  kitti Thu 3 May - 21:14

wjk wrote:

Plus why were suspects Gerry and Kate McCann allowed to meet with witnesses the tapas seven...
kitti
kitti
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 13400
Warning :

Registration date : 2009-06-21

Back to top Go down

Post  laurie Thu 3 May - 21:17

mara thon wrote:
mumbles wrote:

My first thoughts too, but who knows, maybe we'll get a scarface now Irish family are 'key witnesses' in the new Maddie investigation  294124

Add eggman to your list
laurie
laurie
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  mossman Thu 3 May - 21:18

As far as I remember though Mr Smiths later statement, when he went to the Gardai in Ireland and talked about Gerry McCann coming down the plane steps, was made after Kennedys visit to him.

So he made his very first statement to the PJ, had a Kennedy courtesy call, then went on to state it was GMcC he saw with 60-80% accuracy. How does he backtrack now ?
mossman
mossman
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Number of posts : 1639
Warning :

Registration date : 2011-05-25

Back to top Go down

Post  laurie Thu 3 May - 21:24

Detective Branch
Drogheda
County Lough

Re – Investigation into the disappearance of Madeleine McCann

I took an additional statement from Mr Smith as requested. His wife does not want to make another statement. I showed him the video clip and he stated that it was not the clip that alerted him but the BBC news at 10 PM on 9th September 2007.

He has been contacted by numerous tabloid press looking for stories. He has been contacted by Mr Brian Kennedy who is supporting the McCann family to take part in a photo fit exercise. He has given no stories or helped in any photo fits. He sent a solicitor’s letter to six papers in relation material that was printed that was misquoted. The Evening Herald paid his solicitor’s fees and all papers printed an apology. His photograph appeared in another tabloid paper and this matter is being pursued at the moment.

I do not believe that Martin Smith is courting the press and my view his is a genuine person. He is known locally and is a very decent person.

Forwarded please

Sergeant

Liam Hogan

I hereby declare that this statement is true to the best of my knowledge and belief and that I make it knowing that if it is tendered in evidence I will be liable to prosecution if i state in it anything which I know to be false or do not believe to be true
laurie
laurie
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  jd16 Thu 3 May - 21:31

brian kennedy was a donator to the fund who became one of the directors of the fund......why is he contacting all the witnesses?
jd16
jd16
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Number of posts : 1049
Warning :

Registration date : 2012-01-27

Back to top Go down

Post  laurie Thu 3 May - 21:35

For some reason Brian Kennedy was witnesses tampering !!! Why? He took this on his own shoulders to contact witnesses. Did he bribe them? If not then what/why did he involve himself in this matter?

here is the link to all the Smiths Statements

http://www.mccannpjfiles.co.uk/PJ/MARTIN_SMITH.htm
laurie
laurie
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down