Missing Madeleine
Come join us...there's more inside you cannot see as a guest!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Missing Madeleine
Come join us...there's more inside you cannot see as a guest!
Missing Madeleine
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pc Simon Harwood Cleared Over G20 Death

3 posters

Go down

Pc Simon Harwood Cleared Over G20 Death  Empty Pc Simon Harwood Cleared Over G20 Death

Post  malena stool Thu 19 Jul - 20:31

Ian Tomlinson Death: Pc Simon Harwood Cleared Over G20 Death

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2012/07/19/ian-tomlinson-death-simon-harwood-cleared_n_1685913.html?icid=maing-grid7%7Cuk-ws-bb%7Cdl1%7Csec1_lnk2%26pLid%3D118473

PA/Huffington Post UK | Posted: 19/07/2012 14:42 Updated: 19/07/2012 16:20

The family of Ian Tomlinson has branded the not guilty verdict in the trial of Pc Simon Harwood "a joke".

Speaking outside court, Paul King, Ian Tomlinson's stepson, said: "In April 2009, along with everyone else, we saw the shocking video of Ian being violently assaulted by Pc Harwood, just minutes before he died.

"After the unlawful killing verdict at the inquest last year, we were expected to hear a guilty verdict, not a not guilty verdict. It really hurts.

The police officer was cleared of the manslaughter of Tomlinson during the G20 protests in 2009.

Pc Harwood, 45, said he used reasonable force when he hit 47-year-old Mr Tomlinson with a baton and shoved him to the ground as he walked away from police lines in the City of London.

However, the verdict sparked immediate controversy after it was revealed that details of the officer's background were deemed legally inadmissible at both the inquest and the subsequent criminal trial for manslaughter.

Previous allegations against the officer include involvement in a "road-rage" incident with another motorist while off-duty.

Mr Tomlinson was an alcoholic and had slept rough for a number of years.

His widow, stepsons Paul and Richard King and other relatives have attended every day of the trial at Southwark Crown Court, which has sparked high emotion at times.

Had Mr Harwood been convicted, it would have been the first time a police officer had been successfully prosecuted for manslaughter while on duty.

Giving evidence during the trial, Mr Harwood, from Carshalton, Surrey, admitted he was "wrong" to hit and push the father-of-nine, but said he did not realise that at the time.

He told the jury: "Now I've seen all the evidence and I know how poorly Mr Tomlinson was I'm sorry that I got involved, I shouldn't have hit him with a baton and pushed him."

He said he believed Mr Tomlinson, who was drunk at the time, was being deliberately obstructive and that his use of force was reasonable.

"I believed he was doing it on purpose. From what I saw he looked like he wasn't going to move and was looking at the police as though he wanted them to move him away."

Mr Harwood had unsuccessfully tried to arrest a man for writing ACAB - short for 'all cops are bastards' - on a police carrier moments before coming across Mr Tomlinson.

The culprit managed to wriggle free in front of a jeering crowd, leaving Mr Harwood "terrified" and in fear for his safety, jurors heard.

He also shoved another protester and pulled a TV cameraman to the ground.

Members of Mr Tomlinson's family sobbed in the public gallery as the verdict was given, as did Mr Harwood's wife.

The jury of seven women and five men took 18 hours and 45 minutes to clear him.

The police watchdog the IPCC has said that Harwood will face Metropolitan Police internal disciplinary proceedings later in the year over the incident.

Despite the verdict, the Tomlinson family have vowed to carry on and pursue a conviction in a civil court.

"It's not the end, we're not giving up on justice for Ian," said King.

"There has to be one more formal and final answer to the question: who killed Ian Tomlinson? That will now be pursued in the civil courts.

"The last three years have been an uphill battle, we've had to deal with many obstacles, setbacks and emotions on the way.

"It's been very hard to keep going and we took strength and support from everyone, from the public."

He thanked medical student Lucy Apps, who tried to save his stepfather's life after he collapsed.

When asked what he thought of the verdict, King said: "It's a joke."

Mr Tomlinson's widow Julia added: "We have nothing more to say."

On Thursday afternoon, a Metropolitan Police spokesperson admitted that the force had failed to carry out sufficient checks regarding Harwood's employment history.

Police Deputy Assistant Commissioner Maxine de Brunner, said: "Pc Harwood had previously served with the Metropolitan Police Service as well as Surrey Police. The details of his previous employment were examined at the inquest into Ian Tomlinson's death.

"It is clear that insufficient recording and checks meant that detailed information regarding the officer's misconduct history was not shared at key points. We got that wrong.

"Since then there have been huge changes to vetting processes. Now, all applicants, including officers applying to becoming police staff, as well those re-joining or transferring from other police services, are formally vetted and this involves a full misconduct intelligence check.

"Our sympathies are with the family of Mr Tomlinson and I will endeavour to ensure they are fully updated of any future actions with regard to Pc Harwood."

malena stool
malena stool
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Male
Number of posts : 13924
Warning :
Pc Simon Harwood Cleared Over G20 Death  Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Pc Simon Harwood Cleared Over G20 Death  Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2009-10-04

Back to top Go down

Pc Simon Harwood Cleared Over G20 Death  Empty Re: Pc Simon Harwood Cleared Over G20 Death

Post  Lioned Thu 19 Jul - 20:59

So thats alright then Coppers now have licence to wack you when your not looking.Its a very odd situation when the coroner records a verdict of unlawful death but the killer gets away with it ! Its not like there isnt enough video evidence is it !
I do hope the family have sufficient financial suport to go to the Civil Courts.
Lioned
Lioned
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Number of posts : 8554
Warning :
Pc Simon Harwood Cleared Over G20 Death  Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Pc Simon Harwood Cleared Over G20 Death  Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2009-08-30

Back to top Go down

Pc Simon Harwood Cleared Over G20 Death  Empty Re: Pc Simon Harwood Cleared Over G20 Death

Post  wjk Thu 19 Jul - 22:47

I wonder how the jury feel tonight when they read Harwoods track record?
http://news.sky.com/story/962458/pc-not-guilty-of-g20-protest-death
wjk
wjk
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 7815
Warning :

Registration date : 2009-08-20

Back to top Go down

Post  malena stool Thu 19 Jul - 23:11

I suppose the fact Tomlinson was an alcoholic and had been a rough sleeper made his killing O.K. in the eyes of the law... May God help all tramps and drinkers who have the misfortune to cross Harwood's path at closing time, especially if they have the temerity to have their hands in their pockets and turn their backs on him.
malena stool
malena stool
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Male
Number of posts : 13924
Warning :

Registration date : 2009-10-04

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down