Missing Madeleine
Come join us...there's more inside you cannot see as a guest!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Missing Madeleine
Come join us...there's more inside you cannot see as a guest!
Missing Madeleine
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Robbie Williams Sparks "Punch a Pensioner" Row

2 posters

Go down

Robbie Williams Sparks "Punch a Pensioner" Row Empty Robbie Williams Sparks "Punch a Pensioner" Row

Post  Panda Tue 6 Nov - 9:12

Robbie Williams Sparks 'Punch A Pensioner' Row

The ex-Take That star denies he intended to incite violence towards older people in his new video - but has still come under fire.

8:56pm UK, Monday 05 November 2012
Robbie Williams Sparks "Punch a Pensioner" Row 8736748-1-1-522x293
Williams performs at the Oxford Street Lights switch-on

A pensioners' group has attacked Robbie Williams for making a joke about violence towards the elderly.

The National Pensioners Convention (NPC) wants the star to apologise for remarks he made on Friday's BBC1 Graham Norton Show.

His new music video for number one hit Candy shows him punching an elderly woman.

During the chat show, Norton remarked: "That's quite a shocking image isn't it?"

Williams replied: "It is, isn't it. They wanted me to kick a dog and I'm an animal lover, so I was just not having that. Then they said 'punch a pensioner' and I was like, 'Yeah, I'm in'."

Candy is Williams' 14th number one in total when his Take That career is taken into account.

His spokesman has insisted that he does not condone violence and was merely in character for the video.

But NPC General Secretary Dot Gibson said: "Celebrities should think twice before making ageist comments which seem to imply that pensioners should be treated in a degrading way.
Robbie Williams Sparks "Punch a Pensioner" Row 8736755-1-1-522x293 Williams on stage with ex-Spice Girl Emma Bunton
"Elder abuse is a serious issue and needs to be tackled rather than seen as a bit of a joke.

"We need to be uniting the generations, not suggesting that they are different. Pensioners are just young people who grew older."

The organisation's National Officer Neil Duncan-Jordan said: "A number of our members have complained to us about the comment, hence our decision to respond.

"The remark has to be taken in the context of where we are today, with the almost weekly reports of elder abuse. There are certain things now which are so important and have ridden up the political agenda, and this needs to be taken seriously.

"It's all about the context in which it was used; the phrase was probably ironic, but it just gives the wrong impression that animals are to be treated with greater respect than older people."

Williams' office said: "Robbie Williams does not condone violence in any way. The plot for this particular video did involve some aggressive scenes but they in no way reflect his views on violence in real life.

"He was playing a particular role in the video."

Television regulatory body Ofcom said it had received one complaint over the on-air comments.

A BBC Spokeswoman said: "Robbie was a wonderful guest on this week's show and this comment was clearly a joke.

"Fans of The Graham Norton Show know, understand and expect this irreverent type of banter amongst the guests. No offence was intended."

Last edited by Panda on Tue 6 Nov - 10:10; edited 1 time in total
Panda
Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 30555
Warning :
Robbie Williams Sparks "Punch a Pensioner" Row Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Robbie Williams Sparks "Punch a Pensioner" Row Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2010-03-27

Back to top Go down

Robbie Williams Sparks "Punch a Pensioner" Row Empty Re: Robbie Williams Sparks "Punch a Pensioner" Row

Post  malena stool Tue 6 Nov - 9:55

I'm sure Williams had no intention toward inciting violence towards the elderly, but he was aware that kicking a dog would cause an outburst from Animal Rights Campaigners.... So to clear himself, perhaps he should explain just what is the difference, (as he sees it) between abusing an animal and Punching a Pensioner.
malena stool
malena stool
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Male
Number of posts : 13924
Warning :
Robbie Williams Sparks "Punch a Pensioner" Row Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Robbie Williams Sparks "Punch a Pensioner" Row Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2009-10-04

Back to top Go down

Robbie Williams Sparks "Punch a Pensioner" Row Empty Re: Robbie Williams Sparks "Punch a Pensioner" Row

Post  Panda Tue 6 Nov - 10:14

malena stool wrote:I'm sure Williams had no intention toward inciting violence towards the elderly, but he was aware that kicking a dog would cause an outburst from Animal Rights Campaigners.... So to clear himself, perhaps he should explain just what is the difference, (as he sees it) between abusing an animal and Punching a Pensioner.

malena, I think it was just a case of Robbie's tongue not engaging his Brain.Robbie Williams Sparks "Punch a Pensioner" Row 294124

He is very extrovert and now he is married and a Father he is much happier.
Panda
Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 30555
Warning :

Registration date : 2010-03-27

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down