Missing Madeleine
Come join us...there's more inside you cannot see as a guest!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Missing Madeleine
Come join us...there's more inside you cannot see as a guest!
Missing Madeleine
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sports Personality of the Year

3 posters

Go down

Sports Personality of the Year Empty Sports Personality of the Year

Post  Panda Tue 27 Nov - 9:04

Because of the unprecedented success of the British at the Olympics it will be very difficult to choose one person. This is the list and in the absence of anything cheerful being reported on MM , let's have a vote. all you have to do is name the person and say why.

SPOTY 2012: Who gets your vote?
Nicola Adams
Ben Ainslie
Jessica Ennis
Mo Farah
Katherine Grainger
Sir Chris Hoy
Rory McIlroy
Andy Murray
Ellie Simmonds
Sarah Storey
David Weir
Bradley Wiggins

VoteView Results
Sports Personality of the Year Pixel?a.1=p-18-mFEk4J448M&a.2=p-ab3gTb8xb3dLg&labels.1=type.polldaddy

----

BBC's Sports Personality Shortlist, 2012.

Athlete: Nicola Adams, boxing
Odds: 350/1
Highlight of 2012: Winning gold in London, the first British female boxing ever to win an Olympic title.

Athlete: Ben Ainslie, sailing
Odds:
200/1
Highlight of 2012: A fourth gold off the coast of Weymouth made Ainslie the greatest Olympic sailor of all time.

Athlete: Jessica Ennis, athletics
Odds: 11/1
Highlight of 2012: Lit up London with her smile as well as her performances. Followed hurdles personal best with superb performances in long jump, javelin and 800m to take heptathlon gold. Gallery: Ennis's heptahlon journey.

Athlete: Mo Farah, athletics
Odds: 11/2
Highlight of 2012: Breathtaking 10,000m gold at the climax of Super Saturday, then repeated the trick with 5,000m victory to bring the curtain down on GB's perfect Games. Gallery: Farah storms to second gold medal.

Athlete: Katherine Grainger, rowing
Odds: 500/1
Highlight of 2012: Together with Anna Watkins, the lionhearted Grainger finally ditched the bridemaid's dress to win gold in women's double sculls. Gallery: Britons' successes at Eton Dorney.

Athlete: Sir Chris Hoy, cycling
Odds: 150/1
Highlight of 2012: A sixth gold in the men's keirin made Hoy the most successful British Olympian of all time. Gallery: British Cycling's medal factory.

Athlete: Rory McIIroy, golf
Odds: 250/1
Highlight of 2012: The only non-Olympian on the shortlist, McIlroy won his second major at the US PGA, topped the rankings on both sides of the Atlantic and played a key role in Europe's Ryder Cup triumph, despite an alarm clock malfunction. Gallery: Europe triumph at Medinah.

Athlete: Andy Murray, tennis
Odds: 9/1
Highlight of 2012: Became the first British male in 76 years to win a Grand Slam title by defeating Novak Djokovic in five incredible sets in New York. Olympic gold wasn't bad either. Gallery: Murray wins US Open.

Athlete: Ellie Simmonds, swimming
Odds: 66/1
Highlight of 2012: Won four golds in the pool at the Paralympics to build on her stunning achievements of Beijing.

Athlete: Sarah Storey, cycling
Odds: 300/1
Highlight of 2012: Former swimmer Storey won her 11th gold in London, making her GB's greatest Paralympian of the modern era. In the road race, the defending champion incredibly finished one minute 34 seconds clear of the rest of the field. Gallery: Golden moments from the Paralympics.

Athlete: David Weir, athletics
Odds: 33/1
Highlight from 2012: Whatever the distance, Weir dominated at London 2012. A fourth gold in Men's T54 marathon, after days of exertion on the track, was a stunning achievement.

Athlete: Bradley Wiggins, cycling
Odds: 4/9 FAV
Highlight of 2012: Leading Mark Cavendish down the Champs-Élysées and becoming the first British cyclist to win the Tour de France. A week later, he rang the Olympic bell in the opening ceremony, then delivered one of GB's first golds of the games. Gallery: stage-by-stage guide to Wiggins's historic Tour de France triumph

Panda
Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 30555
Warning :
Sports Personality of the Year Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Sports Personality of the Year Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2010-03-27

Back to top Go down

Sports Personality of the Year Empty Re: Sports Personality of the Year

Post  Panda Tue 27 Nov - 16:44

It.s a hard choice but I would vote for Ellie Simmonds, I was crying when she won her first Medal.Sports Personality of the Year 25346
Panda
Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Warning :
Sports Personality of the Year Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Sports Personality of the Year Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post  wjk Tue 27 Nov - 17:36

I'd go for Mo Farah. his permanent smile cheered me up no-end Sports Personality of the Year 25346
(As well as his athletic abilities as well of course) Sports Personality of the Year 944533
wjk
wjk
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 7815
Warning :

Registration date : 2009-08-20

Back to top Go down

Post  Panda Tue 27 Nov - 17:52

wjk wrote:I'd go for Mo Farah. his permanent smile cheered me up no-end Sports Personality of the Year 25346
(As well as his athletic abilities as well of course) Sports Personality of the Year 944533

It's hard to choose wjk, but I suppose for me Ellie , because she is so small has to work twice as hard and the last length she swam to win the 1st Gold was incredible !!!!!

On T.V. yesterday the Sports Personality of the year was being discussed and never in Britains sporting history has there been so many athletes to choose from .....the Paralympics are obviously going to get more votes because they have such obstacles to overcome.
Panda
Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue 27 Nov - 18:00

Frankel. 14 wins from 14 consecutive runs, still unbeaten, an achievement that has never been matched before. AND he's better looking than all the others.

Sports Personality of the Year 653px-Frankel%2C_Champions_Stakes
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Panda Tue 27 Nov - 18:14

Iris wrote:Frankel. 14 wins from 14 consecutive runs, still unbeaten, an achievement that has never been matched before. AND he's better looking than all the others.

Aw iris, don't be mean.!!Sports Personality of the Year 294124
Panda
Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  wjk Tue 27 Nov - 21:44

Iris wrote:Frankel. 14 wins from 14 consecutive runs, still unbeaten, an achievement that has never been matched before. AND he's better looking than all the others.

Haha! That IS very true! Sports Personality of the Year 294124
He's gorgeous Sports Personality of the Year Icon_flower
wjk
wjk
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  wjk Mon 17 Dec - 16:38

Well done Bradley Sports Personality of the Year 463742
wjk
wjk
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  Lioned Mon 17 Dec - 16:43

Very well deserved i think... Sports Personality of the Year 463742
Lioned
Lioned
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Number of posts : 8554
Warning :

Registration date : 2009-08-30

Back to top Go down

Post  Panda Thu 20 Dec - 1:45

He's considered quite a Dandy with his sideburns and Dress Sense , but very modest.Well doneBradley. Sports Personality of the Year 944533

Bradley Wiggins happy to ride for Sky team-mate Chris Froome at Tour de France following tilt at Giro d'Italia

Bradley Wiggins, Britain's first Tour de France winner, has said he is ready to play a team role at next year's race though reiterated his desire to defend his title at the 100th edition of the three-week stage race.

Sports Personality of the Year Bradley_Wiggins_2430876b

To ride, or not to ride: Bradley Wiggins may ride for Chris Froome at next year's Tour de France . . . or he may not Photo: CLARA MOLDEN

Sports Personality of the Year Telegraph60_2204892j
By Telegraph Sport

10:10AM GMT 18 Dec 2012

Sports Personality of the Year Comments30 Comments

Following the announcement of next year's mountainous route, which is expected suit Froome over his team-mate, Wiggins initially said that he would focus on the Giro d'Italia rather than defend his title.

Froome himself told today's Times: "The team are saying they are going to back me with the Tour this year. That's directly from Dave [Brailsford]. He said: 'You're our man for the Tour. Focus on it."'

But team leader Brailsford has been more equivocal over the issue in recent days, opening up the possibility of Wiggins defending his title.

Wiggins, who followed up his Tour triumph with a gold medal in the London 2012 Olympic time trial and on Sunday was named as the BBC's Sports Personality of the Year, today said: "The last four years, all the focus has been on the Tour de France for me, trying to win that race. Fortunately I did it this year, then it's deciding what to do next.

"The Tour of Italy is something I'd love to win, in cycling terms it's just as big as the Tour for me, but also going back as defending champion next year to try to win a second Tour de France.

Related Articles

"We're very fortunate that we have two people that can win the Tour de France. Having two people equally as strong, trying to beat the likes of [Alberto] Contador and Andy Schleck, is going to work in our favour.

"It could be any one of us, it could be Chris Froome on the day, it could be me, but once we get on that line we all have a professional obligation. We saw this year what Chris did for me, it could be that I'll be doing that for him next year for the team to win."

Brailsford has shown in the past that he is prepared to make big selection decisions, overlooking defending champion Sir Chris Hoy for this summer's Olympic sprint event in favour of Jason Kenny, who won the gold medal in London.

Wiggins, 32, expects his team to go into the Tour with a clear idea of their leader but accepts not every eventuality can be accounted for in advance.

"You go out there with a plan," he said. "That plan may change during the race depending on crashes, illnesses or form, but you certainly start out with a gameplan and follow that gameplan as much as possible.

"If that's Chris Froome then the whole eight riders will commit to Chris.

"But we saw a couple of years ago, once I crashed out the team was left without anything to do, really, because all our eggs were put into the basket of me.

"This year, had I crashed out in that first week, we always had a back-up plan with Chris Froome. It always helps to have strength in numbers, it's a nice problem to have.

"So much is made of the negative aspects of having two leaders who could potentially win, but very little has been said about the positive side. We finished one and two this year, so it's always a nice problem to have."
Panda
Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down