Missing Madeleine
Come join us...there's more inside you cannot see as a guest!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Missing Madeleine
Come join us...there's more inside you cannot see as a guest!
Missing Madeleine
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Nine pensioners die in a fire at nursing home

Go down

Nine pensioners die in a fire at nursing home Empty Nine pensioners die in a fire at nursing home

Post  Guest Thu 6 Aug - 23:39

11:28pm UK, Thursday August 06, 2009

At least nine pensioners have been killed in a fire which raged through a nursing home in Belgium.

Nine pensioners die in a fire at nursing home 15355935
Emergency services at the scene of the fire

Three more people are in a critical condition following the blaze in the north-eastern village of Melle.

Residents rushed out of the building as the fire quickly spread black smoke throughout the facility.

When emergency crews arrived, they had to treat many people on the lawn outside.

Most of the victims died of asphyxiation, officials said.

Around 30 people were treated for breathing difficulties after they escaped the blaze, which broke out about 8pm (local time).

Nine pensioners die in a fire at nursing home 15355940
Smoke seen coming from the home

The cause of the fire at the Kanunnik Petrus Jozef Triest nursing home was likely accidental, fire officials said.

They said it could have been from overheated equipment in the building.

But police are continuing their investigation before a definitive reason is given.

An official said the home, where around 90 people live, was not destroyed and would not need to be closed for the long-term.

Julie Clement, a spokeswoman for Belgium's east Flanders region, said: "There were nine victims, eight have been identified - they were all patients."

Melle is a city of about 10,000 people about 30 miles west of the capital Brussels.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

How awful! Those who died were probably much too old and frail to save themselves!
Those poor people....

Rest in Peace x
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Nine pensioners die in a fire at nursing home Empty Re: Nine pensioners die in a fire at nursing home

Post  Guest Sun 9 Aug - 16:19

Nine pensioners die in a fire at nursing home 389741 This is heartbreaking
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Nine pensioners die in a fire at nursing home Empty Re: Nine pensioners die in a fire at nursing home

Post  Krisy22 Mon 10 Aug - 8:34

That is so sad, poor things.
Krisy22
Krisy22
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 3382
Warning :
Nine pensioners die in a fire at nursing home Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Nine pensioners die in a fire at nursing home Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2008-07-27

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon 10 Aug - 10:55

It is sad, but, as someone who won't see 70 again, I have to say it isn't as sad as children and young people not having a good life. At least we oldies have had our share.

On a lighter note, for a few years now I have had my Old Peoples Home picked out. A very elegant place in the centre of Vichy. Out the front door, across the zebra crossing into the Salon de Thé, round the corner to the Opera House and a stroll through the park to take the waters in the pump house.

Having read the OP I'll hang on for a while.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed 12 Aug - 19:06

justagrannynow wrote:It is sad, but, as someone who won't see 70 again, I have to say it isn't as sad as children and young people not having a good life. At least we oldies have had our share.

On a lighter note, for a few years now I have had my Old Peoples Home picked out. A very elegant place in the centre of Vichy. Out the front door, across the zebra crossing into the Salon de Thé, round the corner to the Opera House and a stroll through the park to take the waters in the pump house.

Having read the OP I'll hang on for a while.

Nine pensioners die in a fire at nursing home 23324 Gran!! You are too wild for that place they won't know what to do with you!!

It is sad when children and young people die Gran but it is also heartbreaking to know they were too frail to fight for their lives....
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down