Missing Madeleine
Come join us...there's more inside you cannot see as a guest!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Missing Madeleine
Come join us...there's more inside you cannot see as a guest!
Missing Madeleine
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Naomi Hill........killed by her mother

Go down

Naomi Hill........killed by her mother Empty Naomi Hill........killed by her mother

Post  Guest Wed 27 Oct - 23:16

Girl Murdered For Being Disabled
Share Share
3:02pm UK, Wednesday September 24, 2008

A mother who murdered her four-year-old daughter because she was "ashamed" of her disability has been jailed for at least 15 years.
Naomi Hill........killed by her mother 15106210

Naomi Hill was murdered by her mum Joanne

Joanne Hill, 32, drowned Naomi, who had mild cerebral palsy, in a bath but denied murder on the grounds of diminished responsibility.

During a two-week trial at Chester Crown Court a jury heard that hard-drinking Hill was ashamed of Naomi's condition, which meant the little girl had to use calipers to help her walk.

Judge Elgan Edwards sentenced Hill to life in prison - to serve a minimum term of 15 years.

Mr Edwards told her there was no excuse for what she did.

"You killed your own daughter because you could not cope with her disability," he said.

"You had other pressures upon you, a disintegrating marriage and you decided to kill your own daughter by drowning her.

"This has been a very sad case. Sad for you, for your husband, for the child you killed."

Hill was taken straight to prison, rather than returned to a secure unit, because of her murder conviction.

But the judge commented on her "sad" history of mental health problems and said he hoped she would be transferred back to hospital very soon.

Joanne is a non-swimmer with a fear of water. To be held under water is her biggest fear. What she did to my princess Naomi was evil.

Simon Hill, speaking after his wife Joanne was found guilty of murdering their daughter Naomi
Naomi's father Simon Hill, 38, sat with relatives in the public gallery to hear the verdict.

Afterwards, Mr Hill, who works for a car rental company, read a statement to reporters describing Naomi as his "best friend" and "little princess".

"It has been said in court that Naomi suffered with cerebral palsy. This is not true. Naomi did not suffer at all," he said.

"She lived life to the full and was an inspiration to us all. Naomi took everything in her stride and enjoyed doing everything that four-year-olds do, if only slightly slower.

"Joanne is a non-swimmer with a fear of water. To be held under water is her biggest fear.

"What she did to my princess Naomi was evil."

CCTV Of Naomi's Mother

In court, Mr Hill was described as a devoted and fabulous father who had refused to consider his wife's request for their daughter to be adopted or fostered.

Hill admitted to killing Naomi on November 26 last year at the family home in Goya Close, Connah's Quay.

A tape recording of her police interview was played to the court, in which Hill recounted in detail how she drowned her daughter in the family bath.

She then took Naomi's body, dressed her in blue denim dungarees and a pink and yellow top, before putting her in the family car.

Hill, who had been drinking wine all afternoon, then drove around between Deeside and Chester for eight hours.

She stopped to drink wine she had bought along with her, buy another bottle and get petrol - as her dead daughter remained in the back seat.

The court viewed CCTV footage of Hill going into a garage at 11.35pm after filling up with petrol.

At about 3.30am Hill arrived at the Countess of Chester hospital drunk and cradling Naomi in her arms.

She asked medical staff: "Will somebody help me. I think she's dead."

The little girl was pronounced dead 20 minutes later.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Naomi Hill........killed by her mother Empty Re: Naomi Hill........killed by her mother

Post  Guest Wed 27 Oct - 23:20

Mother murdered disabled daughter

A 32-year-old woman has been found guilty of murdering her four-year-old disabled daughter.
Naomi Hill........killed by her mother _4504411
Joanne Hill, from Connah's Quay, in Flintshire, had admitted drowning Naomi in the bath last year but denied murder due to diminished responsibility.

Hill was jailed for life with a minimum term of 15 years. Chester Crown Court was told she had been unable to cope with Naomi's mild cerebral palsy.

Naomi's father Simon Hill described his wife's actions as "evil".
During the two-week trial, the jury heard hard-drinking Hill was ashamed of Naomi's condition, which meant the little girl had to use callipers to help her walk.

Judge Elgan Edwards told Hill there was no excuse for what she did.

Simon Hill pays tribute to his murdered daughter
He said the aggravating features in the case were the vulnerability of Naomi and the breach of trust between a mother and daughter.

He said: "You killed your own daughter because you could not cope with her disability.

"You had other pressures upon you, a disintegrating marriage and you decided to kill your own daughter by drowning her."

Because of the murder conviction Hill will not return to a secure unit but go straight to prison, the judge said.

He commented on Hill's "sad" history of mental health problems and said he hoped she would be transferred back to hospital very soon.

He added: "This has been a very sad case. Sad for you, for your husband, for the child you killed.

"There can be no excuse for what you did."

On 26 November, 2007, Hill collected Naomi from a childminder and took her home.

The court heard how Hill had run a bath, adding bubble bath and came down for a glass of wine.

When the bath was full, Hill put her daughter in the bath and drowned her by holding her head under the water for up to 10 minutes.
She was my constant companion, she was my best friend, she was my little princess

Simon Hill, Naomi's father
The post-mortem examination found Naomi had died by drowning and also found facial haemorrhages which pointed to the girl's head being forcibly held under water with her face against the surface of the bath.

Hill then dressed the little girl and put her in her car together with a bottle of wine before her husband returned home from work.

She then drove around for eight hours.

The following day, Hill arrived at the Countess of Chester Hospital with her dead daughter in her arms, shouting for help.

The court heard how it was unclear what Hill was doing in the eight hours leading up to her arrival at hospital with Naomi dead in her arms.

Police established she visited a petrol station at about 2330 BST that night and the jury were shown CCTV footage of her smiling and joking with the sales assistant.
Naomi Hill........killed by her mother _4504410
Naomi Hill suffered from mild cerebral palsy
Speaking after Hill was convicted by a unanimous jury, her husband Simon said: "Joanne is a non-swimmer with a fear of water. To be held under water is her biggest fear.

"What she did to my princess Naomi was evil.

"There's not a minute that goes by without me wishing that [Naomi] was still here. She was my constant companion, she was my best friend, she was my little princess."

Hill's mental health issues first became apparent in the early 1990s when, aged 17, she saw a child psychiatrist for anxiety and repetitive thoughts.

In 2000, she attempted suicide and throughout the year she was prescribed a medication for anxiety, depression and sleeplessness.

'Saddened and appalled'

In January 2003, shortly before Naomi was born, Hill was diagnosed with chronic anxiety and immediately afterwards, suffered a severe form of post-natal depression.

In a statement North Wales NHS Trust said a full review was to be conducted under the control of the Flintshire Local Safeguarding Children's Board.

"Until these formal processes have concluded it would be inappropriate for the trust to make any detailed comment and the trust is also bound by the rules of patient confidentiality," the statement read.

A spokeswoman for the disability charity Scope, which focuses on people with cerebral palsy, said they were "saddened and appalled by this case".

"Naomi's death is a tragedy," Alice Maynard said.

"However, this case raises the wider issue of how many disabled parents still don't get the support they need in bringing up children and how society continues to portray disability in a negative light, creating shame and stigma around impairment.

"Tragically, in this instance, this combination of factors proved lethal."

Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Naomi Hill........killed by her mother Empty Naomi murder: Father's statement

Post  Guest Wed 27 Oct - 23:20

Naomi murder: Father's statement
Joanne Hill, 32, from Connah's Quay, Flintshire has been jailed for life for the murder of her four-year-old disabled daughter, Naomi. Here is the full statement by Naomi's father Simon Hill, made after the trial .

Naomi Hill........killed by her mother _4504412

Mr Hill described Naomi as his "constant companion"
Firstly, I would like to thank the people who helped me and my family during this horrendous time. I do not want to embarrass people by naming names - they know who they are, and I thank them deeply.
It has been said in court that Naomi suffered with cerebral palsy. This is not true. Naomi did not suffer at all. She lived life to the full and was an inspiration to us all. Naomi took everything in her stride and enjoyed doing everything that four-year-olds do, if only slightly slower.

She loved being outside. She loved the garden and growing flowers. Naomi loved the beach and being by the sea. She would build sandcastles and paddle all day long.

Naomi loved riding her bike around the park, and would wave and chatter to everyone that passed.

Naomi loved dressing up, especially in pink - Naomi loved everything pink.

She also loved spending time with her grandma and grandpa, who she could wrap around her finger with ease.

Naomi loved going to school. She would talk about all of the friends she had made and the fun they had. Not just in her class, but the whole school.

Naomi was a chatterbox, a great story teller. She had a wonderful sense of humour and a wicked taste for mischief - she could make me laugh all day long.

Her cheeky grin and beaming smile could light up a room in an instant.

There is not a minute that goes by without me wishing she was still here. She was my constant companion, she was my best friend, she was my little princess.

The fact that Naomi has been taken away from us at such a young age and in such a terrible way is something we will never come to terms with.

Joanne is a non-swimmer with a fear of water. To be held under water is her biggest fear.

What she did to my princess Naomi was evil.

Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Naomi Hill........killed by her mother Empty Re: Naomi Hill........killed by her mother

Post  Guest Wed 27 Oct - 23:21

Jury's decision on mind of killer

Joanne Hill had a history of mental health problems
The jury in the trial of Joanne Hill, who has been convicted of murdering her disabled daughter, had a crucial decision to make about the 32-year-old's state of mind.

Hill, of Connah's Quay, Flintshire had killed four-year-old Naomi but the jury had to decide whether she was ill on the day she killed her daughter.

The defence case rested on proving that Hill, who had a history of mental health problems, was suffering "an abnormality of mind" when she drowned Naomi in the bath.

But Michael Chambers QC, for the prosecution, said Mrs Hill's behaviour in the months and days leading up to the killing had been considered normal and rational.

He said Hill should be found guilty of murder, rather than manslaughter by reason of diminished responsibility, because she had made a "deliberate and conscious" decision to kill her daughter.

Naomi was disabled, having mild cerebral palsy, and Hill could not cope with it, claimed the prosecution.

But deciding whether somebody is mentally ill at a particular time is a complex task.

Click to play
Click to play
Wales Today talk to Gordon Huntley, community director of MIND in the Wrexham area.
During the trial at Chester Crown Court, Dr Aideen O'Halloran, a consultant forensic psychiatrist, said Hill's behaviour in the weeks leading up to Naomi's death indicated she was having a relapse of her mental health condition.

The court was told Hill had a history of mental health problems which first became apparent in the early 1990s when she was 17 years old and saw a child psychiatrist for anxiety and repetitive thoughts.

In 2000, Hill twice attempted suicide and throughout the year she was prescribed medication for anxiety, depression and sleeplessness.

In January 2003, shortly before the birth of Naomi, Hill was diagnosed with chronic anxiety and the following April, she had a "hypermanic" episode.

After Naomi was born ten weeks prematurely in a "difficult" birth, Hill suffered a severe form of postnatal depression, although she did respond to treatment.

On Boxing Day 2006 she suffered a severe relapse and left the family home to be cared for by her parents.

Once again Hill recovered, returning to work part-time in the March and full-time a month later.

In June, doctors decided there was no need for further involvement by her local Mental Health Team and in August her case was closed, although she remained under the care of her GP and on several types of medication.

In November, it was recorded that she was drinking heavily, increasing the risk of depression and the likelihood that she would stop taking her medicine.

Later that month she killed Naomi.

Naomi was disabled, having mild cerebral palsy
Dr O'Halloran concluded that Hill was suffering from depression and was able to "disassociate" her feelings, a combination that was "an abnormality of the mind" in her view.

But Dr Paul Chesterman, a consultant forensic psychiatrist, told the jury Hill's actions had not suggested a mental disorder at the time of the killing last year.

Hill had enjoyed a night out and had sex with a workmate on the Thursday before Naomi was killed, behaviour that Dr Chesterman said was "incompatible" with clinical depression.

Away from the trial, Gordon Huntley from the charity Wrexham Mind office sympathised with the jury's difficult task.

"When it comes to mental health it's far more difficult. When it's a physical illness, it's quite visible," he said.

"With mental health it's not quite so easy because the person doesn't necessarily understand what's going on themselves.

"It can be really difficult for jurors to come to any sort of understanding, let alone decision, about why somebody might want to do something like that."

And the complexity of the issue can lead to very different conclusions, even from experts, about a person's state of mind.

"I don't always agree with some of my colleagues in health on occasions," said Mr Huntley.

"I work closely with them and I'm quite friendly with a number but they do face quite difficult decisions in terms of what is happening to an individual.

Simon Hill paid tribute to his 'princess' daughter
"'What diagnosis do I give them and therefore what treatment can I give them or is available, is it the right one?'

"It's quite difficult and can be quite a lonely position for them to carry that burden."

Mr Huntley said it was also incredibly difficult to predict whether somebody with a history of serious mental health problems was likely to commit an extreme act.

"The stigma that people face with mental health issues is significant but it's not warranted, but unfortunately there are incidents that lead to tragic circumstances," he said.

"While for the vast majority, that's not the case, there are some of those events and sometimes people fall through the gaps."

Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down