Missing Madeleine
Come join us...there's more inside you cannot see as a guest!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Missing Madeleine
Come join us...there's more inside you cannot see as a guest!
Missing Madeleine
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rebekah Brooks arrested

+29
Chris
Panda
kitti
Angelique
Dimsie
Claudia79
Indya
frencheuropean
Indigo
Bobsy
almostgothic
halfamo
docmac
devonmum
widowan
Badboy
AnnaEsse
mumbles
victor mendez
marxman
buildersbum
ann_chovey
aqeleega
Carolina
Ollybelle
Angelina
MaryB
cass
pennylane
33 posters

Page 1 of 8 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

Rebekah Brooks arrested - Page 2 Empty Re: Rebekah Brooks arrested

Post  Claudia79 Sun 17 Jul - 14:18

I have to say that as a Portuguese citizen, watching this from the 'outside' is somewhat fascinating...
Claudia79
Claudia79
Administrator
Administrator

Female
Number of posts : 7007
Warning :
Rebekah Brooks arrested - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Rebekah Brooks arrested - Page 2 Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2009-08-25

http://proud-of-the-pj.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  buildersbum Sun 17 Jul - 14:27

buildersbum
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Number of posts : 1628
Warning :
Rebekah Brooks arrested - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Rebekah Brooks arrested - Page 2 Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2009-12-30

Back to top Go down

Post  buildersbum Sun 17 Jul - 14:29

carmen wrote:“@johnprescott: Tony Blair's aide Ruth Turner was arrested in a dawn raid. Coulson & Brooks were arrested 'by appointment.' It's not the dentists!”

Rebekah Brooks arrested - Page 2 303636 Very interesting could it be Blair next Rebekah Brooks arrested - Page 2 782309
buildersbum
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  Angelina Sun 17 Jul - 14:31

buildersbum wrote:
carmen wrote:“@johnprescott: Tony Blair's aide Ruth Turner was arrested in a dawn raid. Coulson & Brooks were arrested 'by appointment.' It's not the dentists!”

Rebekah Brooks arrested - Page 2 303636 Very interesting could it be Blair next Rebekah Brooks arrested - Page 2 782309

Oh, how I would love to see that Rebekah Brooks arrested - Page 2 25346
Angelina
Angelina
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Number of posts : 2933
Warning :

Registration date : 2008-08-01

Back to top Go down

Post  marxman Sun 17 Jul - 14:31

News just breaking;
RB was told on FRIDAY that she would be arrested on Sunday!!!
Looks like she resigned because she knew of that she would be
subject to serious criminal charges.
marxman
marxman
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Male
Number of posts : 1122
Warning :

Registration date : 2011-02-28

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun 17 Jul - 14:56

@TomParmenter

Dowler family solicitor Mark Lewis tells Sky News that timing of Rebekah Brooks arrest "stinks" #hacking
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris Sun 17 Jul - 15:12

carmen wrote:
@TomParmenter

Dowler family solicitor Mark Lewis tells Sky News that timing of Rebekah Brooks arrest "stinks" #hacking

Actually what stinks is that the day RB was arrested by arrangement a NI paper runs a story about Met police "corruption" which seems pretty much a non-story. To manipulate the news away from the arrest perhaps?
Chris
Chris
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Number of posts : 1632
Warning :

Registration date : 2010-05-27

Back to top Go down

Post  widowan Sun 17 Jul - 15:13

MaryB wrote:From what I read last week, she has already implied that she might not be able to answer questions during this Parliamentary thing on Tuesday because there is an ongoing investigation. So she had already decided she wouldn't answer questions. I hope they see them all separately at the 'meeting' on Tuesday. No conferring.

Yup. Judicial secrecy and all that! We know the way their lawyers advise them. Obviously, don't talk. Don't say anything at all. But that makes you look guilty, so they have this excuse of an investigation.

Her reputation will be in the trash - arrested for snooping through a dead child's things for a story - paying others to do this - and of course lying about it.

If James Murdoch is also arrested it will be interesting to see them stand behind the lawyers and refuse to answer. I don't think the committee will take kindly to that. The dignity of the UK is somewhat at stake when the world can see this is how the "free press" works and I would imagine the committee (unless it's full of pedophiles being blackmailed by NewsCorp) will take a dim view of this.
widowan
widowan
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Number of posts : 3378
Warning :

Registration date : 2010-08-23

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris Sun 17 Jul - 15:15

widowan wrote:
MaryB wrote:From what I read last week, she has already implied that she might not be able to answer questions during this Parliamentary thing on Tuesday because there is an ongoing investigation. So she had already decided she wouldn't answer questions. I hope they see them all separately at the 'meeting' on Tuesday. No conferring.

Yup. Judicial secrecy and all that! We know the way their lawyers advise them. Obviously, don't talk. Don't say anything at all. But that makes you look guilty, so they have this excuse of an investigation.

Her reputation will be in the trash - arrested for snooping through a dead child's things for a story - paying others to do this - and of course lying about it.

If James Murdoch is also arrested it will be interesting to see them stand behind the lawyers and refuse to answer. I don't think the committee will take kindly to that. The dignity of the UK is somewhat at stake when the world can see this is how the "free press" works and I would imagine the committee (unless it's full of pedophiles being blackmailed by NewsCorp) will take a dim view of this.

She apparently has been arrested in respect of both investigations (hacking and police payments).
Chris
Chris
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun 17 Jul - 15:17

Rebekah Brooks arrested by hacking police

The BBC's Mark Sanders: "This is an intriguing development"Continue reading the main story
Phone-hacking scandal

Ex-News International chief executive Rebekah Brooks has been arrested by police investigating phone hacking and bribery at the News of the World.

The 43-year-old was arrested by appointment at a London police station and remains in custody.

She was arrested on suspicion of conspiring to intercept communications and on suspicion of corruption.

She quit News International on Friday as pressure mounted over her role in the deepening scandal.

Mrs Brooks was editor of the paper between 2000 and 2003, during which time the phone belonging to murdered schoolgirl Milly Dowler was tampered with.

BBC Business Editor Robert Peston said News International was not aware that Mrs Brooks would be arrested when her resignation was being discussed at the company on Tuesday and Wednesday of last week. She eventually resigned on Friday.

Mr Peston added: "It's certainly the most extraordinary development. Rebekah Brooks is incredibly close to the most powerful people in the UK - the current prime minister, the previous prime ministers Tony Blair and Gordon Brown. More or less every senior person of influence within Britain."

He said it could now potentially jeopardise her appearance at the Parliamentary Select Committee on Tuesday, where she is due to answer MPs questions on the hacking scandal.

"I would assume having been arrested it's now almost impossible for her to appear. It's very difficult for MPs to ask her questions that wouldn't be seen to be impinging on the police investigation."

In other developments:

Home Secretary Theresa May is to tell MPs about her "concerns" over the Metropolitan Police's hiring of ex-News of the World journalist Neil Wallis, who is currently on bail over phone hacking allegations
Labour leader Ed Miliband calls for new media ownership rules to limit Rupert Murdoch's "dangerous" and "unhealthy" concentration of power
An advert placed by News International in national newspapers on Sunday describes how the company is "putting right what's gone wrong"
Several Sunday newspapers feature promotions in an attempt to woo former readers of the News of the World, which was the UK's best-selling newspaper
News International says it has set up an independent management and standards committee to see how the company can prevent similar instances happening again
Committee appointment
Mrs Brooks's arrest is the tenth made by Operation Weeting police, who are conducting the current investigation into phone hacking.

Those arrested and bailed by police as part of the new investigation have included ex-NoW editor Andy Coulson, ex-NoW assistant editor Ian Edmondson, ex-NoW chief reporter Neville Thurlbeck, senior ex-NoW journalist James Weatherup, freelance journalist Terenia Taras, Press Association journalist Laura Elston, an unnamed 63-year-old man, and ex-NoW royal editor Clive Goodman.

Officers from Operation Elveden were also involved with this latest arrest. They are investigating allegations of inappropriate payments to police, an inquiry which is being supervised by the Independent Police Complaints Commission.

A spokesman for Mrs Brooks says the Met police notified her on Friday, after her resignation had been agreed, that she would be arrested.

He also said her arrest would make her appearance at the committee "pretty tricky" and that said she had been offering to speak to police on voluntary basis since January, so she was "very surprised" to learn she would be arrested.

Her former boss, News Corp chairman Rupert Murdoch, and his son James Murdoch, chairman of News International, are also due to appear before MPs.

Grave situation
Media analyst Steve Hewlett says the timing of these latest events may have been an attempt to limit the damage done to News International.

"To have a very senior executive of the company arrested would have been rather worse than having a very senior former executive of the company, albeit only just," he said.

"If that's correct, then it may even be that even the latest move by News Corporation to kind of stem the tide - with the resignations of Les Hinton in America and Rebekah Brooks - even that may have been forced on them by events beyond their control.

"Which would raise yet further questions about whether News Corporation have even now really understood and accepted the gravity of the situation that they're facing."

The assistant editor of the Guardian, Michael White, believes the arrest is an attempt by police to deflect attention away from them.

"I'm wary when the police are trying to show the world they have been on the case, because for two or three years they've not been on this case properly and now they're, perhaps they're over compensating a bit to be honest," he said.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-14178051
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  widowan Sun 17 Jul - 15:20

OMG. In a nutshell:

GM: Charles, Charles, Charles, let me tell you something. This is not a business for prima donnas. You know that and I know that.

CB: I'm disillusioned. . .

GM: I have told you that this is not going to be held against you. Charles, you should think very seriously about coming in on Tuesday.

CB: Well, to be frank, Greg, as far as my future at News International is concerned, I haven't toed the line for the editor's pet project. I didn't prance around while the World Trade Centre was being bombed, for her personal amusement. I can't just stroll in.

GM: Why not? Charles, that is what we do - we go out and destroy other people's lives.

----------------------------------

Hearing them squeak about how if they have standards or regulation it will harm this fine institution of the British press, given recordings like these, makes me take that with a grain of salt. Who should be REALLY wound up about this is the BBC and any paper that actually tries to have a decent journalistic standard because these lot give everyone a bad name.

widowan
widowan
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris Sun 17 Jul - 15:23

widowan wrote:

OMG. In a nutshell:

GM: Charles, Charles, Charles, let me tell you something. This is not a business for prima donnas. You know that and I know that.

CB: I'm disillusioned. . .

GM: I have told you that this is not going to be held against you. Charles, you should think very seriously about coming in on Tuesday.

CB: Well, to be frank, Greg, as far as my future at News International is concerned, I haven't toed the line for the editor's pet project. I didn't prance around while the World Trade Centre was being bombed, for her personal amusement. I can't just stroll in.

GM: Why not? Charles, that is what we do - we go out and destroy other people's lives.

----------------------------------

Hearing them squeak about how if they have standards or regulation it will harm this fine institution of the British press, given recordings like these, makes me take that with a grain of salt. Who should be REALLY wound up about this is the BBC and any paper that actually tries to have a decent journalistic standard because these lot give everyone a bad name.

I am still trying to work out what a "Harry Potter emergency" is. Rebekah Brooks arrested - Page 2 25346
Chris
Chris
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  widowan Sun 17 Jul - 15:42

Chris wrote:
widowan wrote:

She apparently has been arrested in respect of both investigations (hacking and police payments).

When they arrest someone in the UK what does that mean? Is she being kept in jail or the police station for questioning? Is there a 48 hour period before they have to file charges or something?
widowan
widowan
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris Sun 17 Jul - 15:45

widowan wrote:
Chris wrote:
widowan wrote:

When they arrest someone in the UK what does that mean? Is she being kept in jail or the police station for questioning? Is there a 48 hour period before they have to file charges or something?

If she is a suspect rather than a witness she has to be arrested to be questioned under caution. No doubt she will be released under police bail after initial questioning since she poses no threat to the public.
Chris
Chris
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  widowan Sun 17 Jul - 15:49

Home Secretary Theresa May is to tell MPs about her "concerns" over the Metropolitan Police's hiring of ex-News of the World journalist Neil Wallis, who is currently on bail over phone hacking allegations
Labour leader Ed Miliband calls for new media ownership rules to limit Rupert Murdoch's "dangerous" and "unhealthy" concentration of power

----------------------------

I like Theresa May. I don't know why.

So is the Met the one doing the arresting and they are also the ones who were taking payments from News Int? That doesn't seem very good, They should have some other body who can be less prejudicial.

I can't even figure out why Brooks would want some guy to dress like Harry Potter as her pet project. Particularly to show up at a news conference that way the day after 9/11. I think she may have been making up the news for so long that she forgot how the real world thinks. Another narcissistic sociopath or is this just how the rich and powerful operate?
widowan
widowan
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun 17 Jul - 16:09

@dontgetfooled

Masterstroke! Brooks has hired #bellpottinger, the same PR firm that represented the #Bahrain regime & #Trafigura HT @kjalee @tomchivers
not forgetting the #McCanns
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  margaret Sun 17 Jul - 16:24

widowan wrote:

I like Theresa May. I don't know why.

So do l, she seems to have her head screwed on and is making some excellent decisions. Rebekah Brooks arrested - Page 2 944533

Our paper (Mail on Sunday) says we're going to have 'Claires Law' so women can ring up and check whether a man has ever been arrested for violence aginst women after Clare Wood who was brutally murdered by a man she met on FB.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2015564/Clares-law-After-mothers-brutal-murder-women-right-check-abusive-partners-criminal-records.html
margaret
margaret
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 4406
Warning :

Registration date : 2009-08-25

Back to top Go down

Post  widowan Sun 17 Jul - 16:40

That sounds like a good law.

I wonder what Maddie's Law would be, if they named one after her? Not an Amber Alert that describes the perpetrtor of an abduction no one saw and for which there is no evidence.

Would it be the illegalization of listening services? Or more firm laws around neglect?
widowan
widowan
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  widowan Sun 17 Jul - 16:44

Chris wrote:
carmen wrote:
@TomParmenter

Actually what stinks is that the day RB was arrested by arrangement a NI paper runs a story about Met police "corruption" which seems pretty much a non-story. To manipulate the news away from the arrest perhaps?

If the Met squares off against NI (I won't say the press because not all the press is involved in the payoffs we hope) what does NI have on their side? They can say, WELL, YOU took our bribes! That's not really a strong argument against them having offering pay for access to what should be deeply secure information.
widowan
widowan
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  Dimsie Sun 17 Jul - 16:52

widowan wrote:That sounds like a good law.

I wonder what Maddie's Law would be, if they named one after her? Not an Amber Alert that describes the perpetrtor of an abduction no one saw and for which there is no evidence.

Would it be the illegalization of listening services? Or more firm laws around neglect?
Maddie's Law should be a law that makes it a criminal offence to leave young children on their own. This would be the best legacy that Madeleine could leave, the protection of other children from feckless parents.
Dimsie
Dimsie
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Number of posts : 1476
Warning :

Registration date : 2009-08-20

Back to top Go down

Post  buildersbum Sun 17 Jul - 18:02

Bl00dy hell, been on twitter on and off today, and found a tweet about Blair and Cameron, saying that they could be arrested next week, Rebekah Brooks arrested - Page 2 29204 C&P it and its not buggy worked, christ I hope its true Rebekah Brooks arrested - Page 2 873702

Going to go back and try and find it, ive looked at that much stuff today I'm off Rebekah Brooks arrested - Page 2 847843
buildersbum
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  Ollybelle Sun 17 Jul - 18:06

buildersbum wrote:
Bl00dy hell, been on twitter on and off today, and found a tweet about Blair and Cameron, saying that they could be arrested next week, Rebekah Brooks arrested - Page 2 29204 C&P it and its not buggy worked, christ I hope its true Rebekah Brooks arrested - Page 2 873702

Going to go back and try and find it, ive looked at that much stuff today I'm off Rebekah Brooks arrested - Page 2 847843
I saw this too Buildersbum.. Tuesday is meant to be very interesting Rebekah Brooks arrested - Page 2 25346
Ollybelle
Ollybelle
Reg Member
Reg Member

Number of posts : 177
Warning :

Registration date : 2009-08-21

Back to top Go down

Post  buildersbum Sun 17 Jul - 18:12

thanks for that Olly, its so fustrating when you have read something and can't prove it.

Someone else also said that "All hell would break out next week" interesting times ahead, if true Rebekah Brooks arrested - Page 2 25346
buildersbum
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun 17 Jul - 18:29

Just posted

SFO faces calls to investigate hacking pay-outs
By Ben Fenton and Caroline Binham
The Serious Fraud Office has been urged to open an investigation about payments made by News International in the aftermath of the original phone hacking case in 2007, in case they breached the fiduciary duty of directors.
Tom Watson, a Labour member of the culture, media and sport committee, wrote on Sunday to Richard Alderman, the director of the SFO pointing out his concerns over payments made to Gordon Taylor, the chief executive of the Professional Footballers’ Association, amounting to about £700,000.
More....

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/dc369f14-b092-11e0-a5a7-00144feab49a.html#axzz1SNtyYfzG

limited copy because of explicit copyright

Please respect FT.com's ts&cs and copyright policy which allow you to: share links; copy content for personal use; & redistribute limited extracts.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris Sun 17 Jul - 18:34

carmen wrote:Just posted

SFO faces calls to investigate hacking pay-outs
By Ben Fenton and Caroline Binham
The Serious Fraud Office has been urged to open an investigation about payments made by News International in the aftermath of the original phone hacking case in 2007, in case they breached the fiduciary duty of directors.
Tom Watson, a Labour member of the culture, media and sport committee, wrote on Sunday to Richard Alderman, the director of the SFO pointing out his concerns over payments made to Gordon Taylor, the chief executive of the Professional Footballers’ Association, amounting to about £700,000.
More....

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/dc369f14-b092-11e0-a5a7-00144feab49a.html#axzz1SNtyYfzG

limited copy because of explicit copyright

Please respect FT.com's ts&cs and copyright policy which allow you to: share links; copy content for personal use; & redistribute limited extracts.

Given the SFO track record that should definitely ensure no-one is brought to book.
Chris
Chris
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 8 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next