Missing Madeleine
Come join us...there's more inside you cannot see as a guest!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Missing Madeleine
Come join us...there's more inside you cannot see as a guest!
Missing Madeleine
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Daily Mail proprietor felt 'concern' at Madeleine McCann coverage

+2
interested
Annabel
6 posters

Go down

Daily Mail proprietor felt 'concern' at Madeleine McCann coverage Empty Daily Mail proprietor felt 'concern' at Madeleine McCann coverage

Post  Annabel Mon 12 Dec - 19:48

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2011/dec/12/daily-mail-madeleine-mccann-viscount-rothermere?newsfeed=true

Daily Mail proprietor felt 'concern' at Madeleine McCann coverage

Viscount Rothermere says he is 'deeply sympathetic' to McCanns but that he stood by editor Paul Dacre

Viscount Rothermere, the controlling shareholder of the Daily Mail, said he had a "personal concern" about his title's coverage of the disappearance of Madeleine McCann in 2007 as he gave evidence to parliament on Monday.

In a rare public appearance, Rothermere told a parliamentary committee on privacy and injunctions that he was "very deeply sympathetic" to Kate and Gerry McCann but that he stood by Paul Dacre, the Daily Mail editor-in-chief, over the title's coverage of the couple's search for their daughter.

Asked by Labour MP Paul Farrelly if the Daily Mail's coverage of the McCann family gave him cause for concern, Rothermere said: "My paper writes about many things that give me personal cause for concern but I feel it's my duty to allow editors the job to edit.

"If I picked up the phone every single time I disagreed with an article then I would make their job a lot harder to do. I rely on the processes within the organisation and their obeyance of them in order to run a professional outfit."

Asked again whether he had any concerns before the McCanns sued, Rothermere said: "I am very deeply sympathetic to everything the McCanns have gone through."

Pressed by Farrelly, Rothermere admitted: "I had personal concerns, yes. I think what the McCanns went through was very difficult for them but I did not bring up the issue with Paul Dacre, if that answers your question."

The McCanns told the Leveson inquiry into press standards three weeks ago how they were subject to a string of "disgusting" and "offensive" stories after their daughter Madeleine went missing in Portugal four years ago.

Associated Newspapers, publisher of the Daily Mail and formerly of the Evening Standard, made a substantial donation to the McCanns in 2008 after they sued for libel. The Daily Mail agreed to carry free adverts on behalf of the Find Madeleine campaign but refused to apologise, according to Gerry McCann. The Evening Standard agreed to publish an apology.

Rothermere, who rarely makes public appearances on behalf of the company, added that it was important for proprietors to "fiercely protect" editors of their newspapers as long as there had been "no gross dereliction" of duty. "I do not believe and the board does not believe that any of the instances you've brought up today qualify under that," he added.

Earlier, Farrelly compared Rothermere to James Murdoch, referring to the proprietor's "dispassionate replies" when pressed on standards. "I do care about standards. Standards are important," Rothermere said. "I think that your comparison to News International is unfair."

Annabel
Annabel
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 3528
Warning :
Daily Mail proprietor felt 'concern' at Madeleine McCann coverage Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Daily Mail proprietor felt 'concern' at Madeleine McCann coverage Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2009-08-25

Back to top Go down

Daily Mail proprietor felt 'concern' at Madeleine McCann coverage Empty Re: Daily Mail proprietor felt 'concern' at Madeleine McCann coverage

Post  Panda Mon 12 Dec - 20:09

thanks Annabel

Associated Newspapers,
publisher of the Daily Mail and formerly of the Evening Standard, made a
substantial donation to the McCanns in 2008 after they sued for libel.
The Daily Mail agreed to carry free adverts on behalf of the Find
Madeleine campaign but refused to apologise, according to Gerry McCann.
The Evening Standard agreed to publish an apology."

So that"s another Paper the McCanns sued, The NOTW, Express, Mail, ..........wonder if that money went into the Fund.?
Panda
Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 30555
Warning :
Daily Mail proprietor felt 'concern' at Madeleine McCann coverage Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Daily Mail proprietor felt 'concern' at Madeleine McCann coverage Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2010-03-27

Back to top Go down

Daily Mail proprietor felt 'concern' at Madeleine McCann coverage Empty Re: Daily Mail proprietor felt 'concern' at Madeleine McCann coverage

Post  interested Mon 12 Dec - 20:25

Rothermere - "I do care about standards. Standards are important." Standards are important but only when they represent and include the TRUTH.
interested
interested
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Number of posts : 2839
Warning :

Registration date : 2011-10-22

Back to top Go down

Post  malena stool Mon 12 Dec - 22:57

interested wrote:Rothermere - "I do care about standards. Standards are important." Standards are important but only when they represent and include the TRUTH.
And it shows in the quality and accuracy of their reporting..... Daily Mail proprietor felt 'concern' at Madeleine McCann coverage 25346
malena stool
malena stool
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Male
Number of posts : 13924
Warning :

Registration date : 2009-10-04

Back to top Go down

Post  Angelique Tue 13 Dec - 1:10

Panda wrote:thanks Annabel

Associated Newspapers,

So that"s another Paper the McCanns sued, The NOTW, Express, Mail, ..........wonder if that money went into the Fund.?

I think most people are under the impression that the Fund/limited Company is short of funds. Just because we are told there is little left in the pot does not mean it's true. The thing that annoys me the most is that crying wolf only works a few times and after that we should start to doubt.
Angelique
Angelique
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 3418
Warning :

Registration date : 2010-08-28

Back to top Go down

Post  Panda Tue 13 Dec - 3:51

Angelique wrote:

Associated Newspapers,

I think most people are under the impression that the Fund/limited Company is short of funds. Just because we are told there is little left in the pot does not mean it's true. The thing that annoys me the most is that crying wolf only works a few times and after that we should start to doubt.

Kate McCann received £200,000 from The Sun for serialising her book yet only gave the Fund the Royalties which considering they would not be given
before the advance was paid off , which we were never told the amount, since sale of the book has dried up, the Fund has probably not benefitted.
Panda
Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  jinvta Tue 13 Dec - 4:59

Associated Newspapers,

This bothered me as well. We were made to believe that they only got a payout from the Express which went to the Fund in its entirity. However, we now see that they received other payouts from other news organizations which more than likely went straight to their bank accounts. It is sickening how they have been profiting over the loss of their daughter, which they in fact were responsible for.
jinvta
jinvta
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Number of posts : 1065
Warning :

Registration date : 2010-01-18

Back to top Go down

Post  Panda Tue 13 Dec - 5:34

jinvta wrote:

Associated Newspapers,

This bothered me as well. We were made to believe that they only got a payout from the Express which went to the Fund in its entirity. However, we now see that they received other payouts from other news organizations which more than likely went straight to their bank accounts. It is sickening how they have been profiting over the loss of their daughter, which they in fact were responsible for.

I really do hope now they get their comeuppance for the way they have treated the donors to the Fund. Schoolchildren making cakes to sell, one little
girl was given yellow material by her local Haberdasher and her Mum was so proud of her because she made bows and £410 for the Fund. The Race Night
in Liverpool where Gerry said they received £2,000 from the Landlord, but the Landlord publicly announced it was £5,000. Their arrogance in view of the
fact that they are TOTALLY responsible for Madeleine"s disappearance is quite staggering.
Panda
Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down