Missing Madeleine
Come join us...there's more inside you cannot see as a guest!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Missing Madeleine
Come join us...there's more inside you cannot see as a guest!
Missing Madeleine
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

VIDEO - Leveson Inquiry (Update Dec 21) David Pilditch - Diary - Colin Myler & Dan Sanderson

+24
dazedandconfused
almostgothic
pennylane
chrissie
blossom45
mariang
AnnaEsse
HiDeHo
LJC
IAMBAZZA
Lillyofthevalley
Annabel
gillyspot
NoStone
Wintabells
widowan
tanszi
cass
margaret
kathybelle
Ang
interested
dutchclogs
Bobsy
28 posters

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

VIDEO - Leveson Inquiry (Update Dec 21) David Pilditch - Diary - Colin Myler & Dan Sanderson  - Page 3 Empty Re: VIDEO - Leveson Inquiry (Update Dec 21) David Pilditch - Diary - Colin Myler & Dan Sanderson

Post  Guest Thu 15 Dec - 17:54

Ah, are you perhaps postulating a conspiracy of sorts? Nothing would surprise me.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

VIDEO - Leveson Inquiry (Update Dec 21) David Pilditch - Diary - Colin Myler & Dan Sanderson  - Page 3 Empty Re: VIDEO - Leveson Inquiry (Update Dec 21) David Pilditch - Diary - Colin Myler & Dan Sanderson

Post  tanszi Thu 15 Dec - 18:04

can someone tell me please exactly where it is definitely said that the copy of the diary notes came from the Portuguese police.
tanszi
tanszi
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Number of posts : 3124
Warning :
VIDEO - Leveson Inquiry (Update Dec 21) David Pilditch - Diary - Colin Myler & Dan Sanderson  - Page 3 Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100VIDEO - Leveson Inquiry (Update Dec 21) David Pilditch - Diary - Colin Myler & Dan Sanderson  - Page 3 Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2009-09-10

Back to top Go down

Post  LJC Thu 15 Dec - 20:01

If Clarrie has all the answers, should he not be questioned at the Levison Enquiry? Why is he not being put on the spot in court?
LJC
LJC
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Number of posts : 2116
Warning :
VIDEO - Leveson Inquiry (Update Dec 21) David Pilditch - Diary - Colin Myler & Dan Sanderson  - Page 3 Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100VIDEO - Leveson Inquiry (Update Dec 21) David Pilditch - Diary - Colin Myler & Dan Sanderson  - Page 3 Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2009-09-23

Back to top Go down

Post  almostgothic Thu 15 Dec - 20:06

Both Mitchell and Edmondson should be called to appear before Leveson asap, IMO.
almostgothic
almostgothic
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Number of posts : 2945
Warning :

Registration date : 2011-03-18

Back to top Go down

Post  frencheuropean Thu 15 Dec - 20:39

In this article of the Pressgazette today ( link provided by Joana on her blog), Mitchell is trying to disculp himself furthermore:

http://www.pressgazette.co.uk/story.asp?sectioncode=1&storycode=48450&c=1

Colin Myler: I did not berate the McCanns over Hello story
15 December 2011

By Andrew Pugh

Former News of the World editor Colin Myler yesterday claimed he would not have published excerpts from Kate McCann’s diary without permission – but was told by his news editor Ian Edmondson that the family’s spokesman Clarence Mitchell had given them the go-ahead.

The claim has since beeny denied by Mitchell.

At the Leveson Inquiry last month Kate McCann said she felt “mentally raped” after the NoW published transcripts from her personal diary on 14 September 2008 under the headline “Kate’s Diary: In her own words”, and said it was done without prior notice.

The McCanns claimed that before the article was published Edmondson told Mitchell they were writing a “positive piece” but did not mention the diary, and if they had known they would have considered taking legal action to prevent publication.

Also speaking to the Leveson Inquiry, Gerry McCann said that Myler had "berated" him in an "angry" phone call because the McCanns gave an exclusive story to Hello magazine - rather than the News of the World.

Yesterday Myler revealed the diaries came from a female Portuguese journalist.

He insisted that Edmondson told him he had cleared the story with Mitchell, telling the inquiry: "Ian Edmondson had assured me on more than one occasion that Clarence was aware of what we were intending to do and had said, 'good'.

"I think it was very clear from Mr Edmondson's point of view how he had spelt out what he was doing."

On the subject of the "angry" phone call too Gerry McCann, Myler said: "I don't have a reputation for berating people." He added that he "simply pointed out" his "surprise" that they took their story to Hello with a circulation, he said, of around 300,000 compared with the News of the World's three million plus sale.

Responding to the diary claims, Mitchell said: "At no point in the one brief call that I received from Ian Edmondson on the Friday evening before publication did he spell out categorically that they had purchased a version of Kate's diary that had been leaked by the Portuguese police and that they were planning to publish it in as big a way as they subsequently did.

"He led me to believe that they were looking to do a positive story on an inside page based on leaks in the Portuguese press of quotes in an alleged diary that had already appeared in Portugal in previous days.

"I told him that we were in no way encouraging any such coverage of a diary, or even confirming that any diary existed.

"However, I said if they were planning to run a positive piece that was up to them and it would be fine as long as it was positive.

"All of my contemporaneous emails at the time are now with lawyers for the Leveson Inquiry, and I am more than happy to give my side of the conversation with Ian Edmondson if required.

"You only need to look at the fact that the News of the World subsequently rolled over a few days later and not only published an apology in the following week's paper but also paid more than £120,000 to the Madeleine Fund by way of compensation. That speaks for itself."

Related articles
Myler calls for tabloids and broadsheets to unite McCanns: Express worst but not only offenders McCanns: 'Angry' Colin Myler 'berated' us over interview All the news from The Leveson Inquiry into the phone-hacking scandal
Comments

Disqus LoginAbout DisqusLike Dislike
Glad you liked it. Would you like to share?
Facebook

Twitter

ShareNo thanksSharing this page …

Thanks! Close
Sort by popular now Sort by best rating Sort by newest first Sort by oldest first Showing 3 comments
Reed 1 comment collapsed Collapse Expand
Hardly any mention of this story today.
Interesting that a story about new leads in the Madeleine case should emerge on the same day. Any PR would know which would achieve more column inches.
Just saying..
A Like Reply 9 hours ago 3 Likes F IAMBAZZA 2 comments collapsed Collapse Expand
in the eyes of the British mainstream media the McCanns can do no wrong. It is a strange state of affairs.

Mr Mitchell's quote is full of classic PR guff: "At no point in the one brief call that I received from Ian Edmondson on the Friday evening before publication did he spell out categorically that they had purchased a version of Kate's diary that had been leaked by the Portuguese police and that they were planning to publish it in as big a way as they subsequently did." I am saddened, but not surprised, that the press are unable to spot the oddities in this statement.

And as an aside - there appears to be no mention anywhere of the name of the Portugese journalist involved nor any evidence that the diary did actually come from the Portugese police. But once again, sadly, the British media take as gospel anything spouted by Team McCann.
A Like Reply 7 hours ago 2 Likes F Unbeliveable 1 comment collapsed Collapse Expand
Wow IAMBAZZA - 'gospel spouted by Team McCann' - yeah they may have been trying as best they could to get the story of their daughter's disappearance in the papers to keep the interest alive, but surely your vilification of them is totally out of order ! INCREDIBLE
A Like Reply 5 hours ago in reply to IAMBAZZA 0 Like F
frencheuropean
frencheuropean
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Number of posts : 1203
Warning :

Registration date : 2009-11-02

Back to top Go down

Post  almostgothic Thu 15 Dec - 21:39

That response from Clarrie is hilarious.
More holes than an elephant-sized piece of Emmental.

If that's the way yer average PR negotiates with the media, remind me never to hire one ... VIDEO - Leveson Inquiry (Update Dec 21) David Pilditch - Diary - Colin Myler & Dan Sanderson  - Page 3 294124
almostgothic
almostgothic
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Number of posts : 2945
Warning :

Registration date : 2011-03-18

Back to top Go down

VIDEO - Leveson Inquiry (Update Dec 21) David Pilditch - Diary - Colin Myler & Dan Sanderson  - Page 3 Empty NOTW reporter who wrote the story apologises

Post  Panda Thu 15 Dec - 22:19

NOTW Reporter Apology For McCann Diaries

7:39pm UK, Thursday December 15, 2011

David Bowden, senior correspondent

The News Of The World reporter who wrote the story about
Kate McCann's diaries has apologised and admitted the article should
never have been published.

Daniel Sanderson told the Leveson Inquiry he believed the private
thoughts were published with the family's permission, and he only
learned of Mrs McCann's distress when she gave evidence to the inquiry
into press ethics three weeks ago.

"I feel very bad," he said.

Mr Sanderson told the hearing that he had been asked to find the
diaries after snippets began appearing in other newspapers. He contacted
two papers in Portugal before getting in touch with one particular
reporter.

A Spanish freelance journalist was sent to pick up the copy of the
diaries, which had been translated into Portuguese by the local police.

They had to then be re-translated back into English before publication in the Sunday tabloid.

:: As it happened: Re-live updates from the Sky News team at the inquiry

Also appearing before the hearing has been private detective Derek
Webb - who claims he spied on celebrities for the now-defunct newspaper.

Mr Sanderson said: "I have every intention of apologising to the
McCanns for my involvement in the story, I did feel very bad that my
involvement had made Mrs McCann feel the way that it had.

"Why was it the wrong decision to publish? Because they didn't have
permission to, they didn't have Mrs McCann's Permission to publish that
story."

The inquiry chairman, Lord Justice Leveson, took Mr Sanderson to task
over the story saying the diary was "an intensely personal document".

He went on: "As you read it for the first time did you think you had
any business writing a word of it without making sure that this truly
was what they wanted?"

Mr Sanderson replied: "Seeking the McCann's permission wasn't in my sphere of responsibility."

The editor of the News of the World at the time was Colin Myler.

He has already apologised for printing the diaries, but he told the
inquiry that some of the coverage of the Madeleine McCann story was
indefensible.

"I think that there were some aspects particularly through the McCann
era in the early days when Madeleine went missing that were truly
appalling - and by any standards of journalism they should never have
appeared in stories in this country."

Mr Myler spoke of an industry he described as "dysfunctional" and
like "a war zone" and said maybe it was time for the press to reflect on
its morals.

He was challenged about phone hacking at the News of World when he arrived in 2007.

"I always had some discomfort," he said.

"I felt that there could have been bombs under the newsroom floor but
I didn't know where they were and I didn't know when they were going to
go off."

Slowly but surely Leveson is shining light into the darkest recesses
of how the press operates in this country and the view so far is far
from pleasant.

Next week the spotlight will fall on arguably the most famous former
tabloid editor of the moment, Piers Morgan, who will give evidence to
the inquiry on Tuesday.

:: A 37-year-old woman arrested by appointment over suspicion
of alleged offences, including illegal payments to police, is named as
Lucy Panton, former crime editor at the NOTW.
Panda
Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 30555
Warning :

Registration date : 2010-03-27

Back to top Go down

Post  Wintabells Fri 16 Dec - 2:37

tanszi wrote:can someone tell me please exactly where it is definitely said that the copy of the diary notes came from the Portuguese police.

Dan Sanderson said he was asked to locate a copy of the diary entries which had already appeared in the press in Portugal. After making some enquiries he established that they were in the hands of a Portuguese journalist. It was arranged that the material was collected by a journalist in Spain and delivered to the News of the World offices. Once they arrived, he looked at them and they were in Portuguese and appeared to be official documents which had markings on them which indicated that they had come from the Portguese police. He said this during his questioning at the enquiry.
Wintabells
Wintabells
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Number of posts : 1331
Warning :

Registration date : 2011-02-28

Back to top Go down

Post  HiDeHo Fri 16 Dec - 2:46

Wintabells wrote:
tanszi wrote:can someone tell me please exactly where it is definitely said that the copy of the diary notes came from the Portuguese police.

Dan Sanderson said he was asked to locate a copy of the diary entries which had already appeared in the press in Portugal. After making some enquiries he established that they were in the hands of a Portuguese journalist. It was arranged that the material was collected by a journalist in Spain and delivered to the News of the World offices. Once they arrived, he looked at them and they were in Portuguese and appeared to be official documents which had markings on them which indicated that they had come from the Portguese police. He said this during his questioning at the enquiry.

I wonder who's handwriting was on them.
HiDeHo
HiDeHo
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 1541
Warning :

Registration date : 2009-08-29

http://madeleinemccann.aimoo.com

Back to top Go down

Post  widowan Fri 16 Dec - 7:03

How nice for Kate - she gets to have her tissue of fabrications published, and also gets to sue someone for doing so.
widowan
widowan
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Number of posts : 3378
Warning :

Registration date : 2010-08-23

Back to top Go down

Post  gillyspot Fri 16 Dec - 8:52

Just a thought, on Tuesday Myler referred to an email that he had that showed the McCanns PR spin doctor Mitchell had agreed with printing Kate's diary.

What happened overnight for him to decide not to refer to this yesterday? Surely he would have boned up on the evidence available in his defence before going to the Enquiry so he would have had the email ready.

So why the volte face?

gillyspot
gillyspot
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Number of posts : 813
Warning :

Registration date : 2011-10-09

Back to top Go down

Post  Panda Fri 16 Dec - 9:31

There seems to be a conflict of reports on what exactly happened. On the one hand we have the report that both Gerry and Clarence knew before the
article was published in the NOTW, on the other we now have the reporter apologising to Kate because he thought she knew the Report was being
published. The point is, the McCanns received £120,000 for the Fund ........if they DID NOT know it was to be published , wouldn"t they have taken legal action to get more money?
Panda
Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  Wintabells Fri 16 Dec - 19:51

Wintabells wrote:

Just to add - his answer is at around 138.54 here http://www.levesoninquiry.org.uk/hearing/2011-12-15am/
Wintabells
Wintabells
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Number of posts : 1331
Warning :

Registration date : 2011-02-28

Back to top Go down

Post  NoStone Fri 16 Dec - 23:25

If Dan Sanderson firmly believed the diary would not be published without the Mc's approval - did he not question why he was having to source a copy from Portugal rather and go to he trouble of having it translated into English when it would have been simpler to just get a copy of the original from directly from the Mc's??? If they are consenting to its publication why would they not do that??

Its going a bit around the houses isn't it? Or was it imperative that the story was based on a Portugese version in order to try and pin down the provenence to the (filthy) Portugese Police??

Of course it would have had to be done through this Portugese version to stop Kate had looking mercenary by airing her 'private' thoughts in exchange for ££££££'s

So could the conversation and the deal with Michell have been that it would be ok to publish the diary as long as it was not seen to have come directly from the Mc's and that their hands were kept clean!!!?????
NoStone
NoStone
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Male
Number of posts : 620
Warning :

Registration date : 2011-09-25

Back to top Go down

Post  gillyspot Fri 16 Dec - 23:44

Wintabells wrote:
Wintabells wrote:

Just to add - his answer is at around 138.54 here http://www.levesoninquiry.org.uk/hearing/2011-12-15am/

Does Dan Sanderson speak Portuguese? So he said the copies were "official looking" (PJ said simply photocopied pages for their own use) and "had markings which indicated they had come from Portuguese police" (not journalists markings - would he know the difference if he didn't speak Portuguese).

Als alraed said if he had any sense of ethics as he stated that he did to leveson - if he had reason to believe these were for official police enquiry why did he agree to write his blurb and why not flag it up to Edmondson or Myler.

This volte face from NOTW on Thursday Morning stinks to me (Why did Myler suddenly change his tune)?. I wish they had run the whole McCann thing in one day - who knows what may have come out then.
gillyspot
gillyspot
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Number of posts : 813
Warning :

Registration date : 2011-10-09

Back to top Go down

Post  Panda Fri 16 Dec - 23:47

NoStone wrote:If Dan Sanderson firmly believed the diary would not be published without the Mc's approval - did he not question why he was having to source a copy from Portugal rather and go to he trouble of having it translated into English when it would have been simpler to just get a copy of the original from directly from the Mc's??? If they are consenting to its publication why would they not do that??

Its going a bit around the houses isn't it? Or was it imperative that the story was based on a Portugese version in order to try and pin down the provenence to the (filthy) Portugese Police??

Of course it would have had to be done through this Portugese version to stop Kate had looking mercenary by airing her 'private' thoughts in exchange for ££££££'s

So could the conversation and the deal with Michell have been that it would be ok to publish the diary as long as it was not seen to have come directly from the Mc's and that their hands were kept clean!!!?????

Hi NoStone, I"m pretty sure the McCanns knew the diary had been published in Portugal, their Lawyer would have told them. I also think that by getting
involved in this enquiry which was meant to be about phone-hacking they have made a big mistake. All this happened 3 years ago and the fact it is now
known they received £120,000 will not be lost on the Public.
Panda
Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  kitti Wed 21 Dec - 11:40

I find the enquiry very odd..

Hipwell has stated that the daily mirror hacked Into phones yet they don't want to examine and cross examine him for hours....why not?

Isnt it about phone hacking ?

Don't they want to get to the bottom of this?

Yet, they let the mccanns moan and groan about the newspapers about how rotten they were to them (only AFTER they were made arquido off course) which went on for hours.....and that had absolutely NOTHING to do with phone hacking!

kitti
kitti
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 13400
Warning :

Registration date : 2009-06-21

Back to top Go down

Post  kitti Wed 21 Dec - 12:16

When will Portuguese Police start standing up for themselves.

I makes me sick that, well it is obvious to me, Mitchell consented to the publishing off the diary and the mccanns knew about it.

The journo in Portugal only published snippets, why not all off it...obviously this journo didn't have the diary in it's entirety to publish it, so who did .

The pj had the diary , it is an offence to do what the leveson enquiry are stipulating, so who is left, who else had this diary in it's entirety ....the mccanns.

But why publish it and now complain..

Two reasons.......one....money off course...and two .....the leveson enquiry was coming up....let's get on their, discredit the pj....mr amaral was coordinator who they happen to be suing in Feb....

Off course the leveson enquiry was an after thought and came up just at the right time...

It's always been about money and discrediting the pj and mr amaral ...always.....and everything is slotting onto place nicely for them and I would like to know.....why is the leveson enquiry about phone hacking....it should be renamed ...the poor McCann enquiry ....all we hear is.....poor mccanns.....day after day her diary....why.....it's about bloody phone hacking.
kitti
kitti
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 13400
Warning :

Registration date : 2009-06-21

Back to top Go down

Post  frencheuropean Wed 21 Dec - 13:57

Live today from the guardian:

Leveson accuses Express journalist of writing 'tittle tattle' about Madeleine McCann

reddit this

Lisa O'Carroll and Jason Deans

guardian.co.uk, Wednesday 21 December 2011 13.07 GMT
Article history

This page will update automatically every minute: On | Off

Leveson inquiry: James Hipwell said the then editor Piers Morgan had his phone hacked by a showbiz journalist at the Mirror.

1.06pm: The Leveson inquiry has now broken for lunch and will resume at 2.05pm.

12.59pm: Sherborne wants to put it on record that there is nothing in the police files to suggest that Madeleine's DNA was found in a car referred to in one of Pilditch's articles.

Leveson explains he is conducting an investigation into press ethics but is happy to put it on record that this is indeed the case.

Everybody is agreed that there is absolutely no foundation at all for the allegation that emerged throughout the press at this time that Dr and Dr McCann were involved in any way, in any inappropriate conduct in relation to the disappearance of their daughter.

That doesn't need to be established for me. In the same way I wasn't going to go into what happened with the City Slickers column, this is very much a side issue.

12.50pm: James Dingemans, for Northern and Shell is objecting to questions being raised by David Sherborne with no prior notice.

12.46pm: Pilditch has now finished being questioned by the leading counsel and David Sherborne, barrister for the "victims" of press is on his feet.

12.42pm: Leveson puts it to Pilditch that he was repackaging "tittle tattle" that exposed newspapers to massive damage claims.

Leveson asks did Pilditch make the paper aware of the "extreme fragility" of the information?

All the things that are being written, about the priest ... it's all fluff, there's nothing to it

Pilditch says:

It's not tittle tattle, because it was information coming from senior detectives who were investigating the case.

12.38pm: Jay asks if "people like you" thought about the impact of their "stories which imply that the child has not been abducted but something far more sinister has happened".

Jay asks if Pilditch considered if this would add "to the emotional turmoil" of the parents.

Pilditch says:

I think I explained, there is emotional turmoil, but I'm reporting what's happening on the ground, that particular day.

12.29pm: The inquiry is now talking about the priest who helped comfort the McCanns in Portugal in the wake of their daughter's disappearance.

Referring to a story about the "tormented police", Jay observes "this is rather a loaded story".

The priest, it says, felt under tremendous emotional strain because of some sort of confession had been given to him by Dr Kate McCann. The story says 'The tormented priest insisted he would stand by his vows and take his secrets to the grave'.

Jay says it was 'journalistic licence' to assert 'that the priest not merely stands by his religious obligation but that he would be taking the secret to his grave because he was given a confession by Dr McCann'.

He says everything in this last sentence about the grave is an "inference".

"You weren't told that by anyone were you?

12.19pm: Jay says a further Express story reporting DNA "findings" that Madeleine's body had been in the spare tyre-well in the boot was also inaccurate.

The DNA evidence was "at best inconclusive", says Jay. He refers to the testimony of the McCann's four weeks ago who said it was "simply untrue" .

"Madeleine's DNA was not uncovered in the hire car," Jay points out.

Pilditch says "we know that now, but we didn't know that then" adding the local police were briefing that there were links.

12.16pm: Jay is now quizzing Pilditch about the language used in a story that referred to the "10 fingers of suspicion".

The story also reports that "Portuguese detectives could fly to Britain for make-or-break interviews".

Jay puts it to him that the language is "quite heightened" and Pilditch is making it sound like guilt or innocence would turn on these interviews.

Pilditch says he can't remember if he wrote the exact words – the article was written four years ago.

Leveson now asks "whether he reads his own stories?"

12.13pm: The inquiry is discussing the mundanities of newsgathering and hearing how reporters may have "filed" some copy for a story but may not make the final cut. However their byline may still appear on the story.
Kate and Gerry McCann Photograph: Rui Vieira/PA
12.09pm: Pilditch explains that he can't comment on the story even though his name is on it.

He explains his "part" in the story and it would have been "inserted" into the story by the newsdesk or the reporter compiling the story.

12.05pm: The inquiry is now talking about a series of defamatory articles written in the Express.

He is being asked if he was responsible for the headline on one story naming the McCanns as "prime suspects".

Pilditch says this would be the job of the editor or the night editor.

The story starts by saying "Kate and Gerry McCann are still regarded as the prime suspects in the disappearance of their daughter".

Pilditch explains he "didn't really write this story"; that it had another journalist, "Nick Fagge's name on it".

12.03pm: Pilditch explains that the McCanns engaged a PR man, Clarence Mitchell, who commented on every story, that this was "a black propaganda" campaign and there was no evidence to back up the claim [that the McCanns were suspects].

He says that senior detectives in the Portuguese police were briefing "off the record".

12.01pm: Pilditch says this was an important development in the story.

This was a very big story, obviously there would be discussions on the newspapers from lawyers, all sorts of parties involved. The actual legal aspects would be something that the lawyers would be discussing.

If you put it into context of the story. The story was such a huge story

11.57am: When the McCann's were named as "aguidos", it was not something that could be ignored.

The lawyers in Portugal said that effectively an aguido is a suspect and it gives the police an opportunity to put much tougher questions than they would to a witness and I think the McCanns themselves were given very tough questions.

Leveson intercepts and suggests it's like "active proceedings" in UK law when reporting restrictions are in place for the press.

11.55am: Pilditch says he shared his discomfiture with his newsdesk

We may not be able to defend these things because we may not be able to get confirmation. They took that on board.

He added:

I am not a legal expert, but I felt that the situation as it presented itself, that was the case. I'm certain the newsdesk would have conversations with lawyers about this.

There would have been discussions - that was the situation we were in and there was no way around it.

11.52am: Due to the secrecy of Portuguese justice laws Pilditch says it was impossible to report the story to a legally sound standard normally expected of reporters.

I knew that the reports were correct but I also knew that because there was no confirmation there were going to be difficulties if any complaints were made.

11.45am: Pilditch says in the absence of direct police information, he befriended local journalists who had good contacts with the local police.

He identifies three of his "best sources" – two Portuguese journalists who were in daily contact with the senior investigating officers and a translator.

11.43am: Pilditch explains how stories about suspects would emerge.

The police had been round the resort and other areas on their own inquiries and we were finding out lines of inquiries from local people. They were given descriptions of potential suspects and when a whole lot of witnesses give the same description you have a pretty good idea of what the police were working on.

11.42am: Pilditch explains "there was no strategy, just confusion all round, when there should have been focus".

Leveson asks was that not the story? Pilditch says "that was the story we were writing in the early stages".
Leveson inquiry: David Pilditch
11.41am: Pilditch says there was "a lot of pressure" to cover the story which had attracted large international interest.

11.39am: Pilditch says "getting to the truth" of the matter was "impossible to find" because of the laws in Portugal.

Certainly in relation to the police investigation, in a story like this you would expect the primary information would be coming from the police and in this case that just didn't happen. You are in an impossible situation, because you try and do everything to get to the bottom of what happened Madeleine McCann. That was left to the parents in this case.

11.37am: Pilditch explains he has been a journalist for 26 years.

He is a general news reporter at the Daily Express and has been called to the inquiry to discuss the paper's coverage of the Madeleine McCann story.

He went to Portugal in 2007 and was there six times between then and 2008. He was there for six weeks on his first visit.

11.36am: David Pilditch, a former Mirror reporter who has also worked for the Express is about to be sworn in.
frencheuropean
frencheuropean
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Number of posts : 1203
Warning :

Registration date : 2009-11-02

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed 21 Dec - 14:02

"I think the McCanns themselves were given very tough questions."

They must have been really difficult, because no answers were forthcoming.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Panda Wed 21 Dec - 16:18

At the risk of repeating myself, why are the McCanns brought into this enquiry again? Everyone knows The Express forked out £925,000 + legal fees to the
McCanns and the Tapas 7. this was for libel, not phone hacking........I think Leveson is out of order.
Panda
Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  Annabel Wed 21 Dec - 17:21

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-16283935

(Scroll down for McCann report)

21 December 2011 Last updated at 15:52

Phone hacking 'bog-standard tool' says former Mirror journalist

James Hipwell: "Very unlikely Piers Morgan did not know hacking was going on".

Phone hacking appeared to be a "bog-standard journalistic tool" for gathering information, a former Daily Mirror financial reporter has said.

James Hipwell, who was jailed in 2006 for writing about firms whose shares he owned, said he witnessed repeated privacy infringements at the paper.

He told the Leveson Inquiry into media ethics that he overheard showbiz journalists openly talking about it.

Publisher Trinity Mirror has insisted its journalists work within the law.

It has also said they work within the Press Complaints Commission's (PCC) code of conduct.

But Mr Hipwell told the inquiry he had never been given a copy of the code during his time at the paper, under the editorship of Piers Morgan.

He said he never heard reference to the code, and said there were no visible signs of ethical leadership.
'Beating heart'

"Flanagan at #leveson: would take a brave reporter to say he wasn't sure about this, not filing a story today”
Ross Hawkins BBC correspondent

In a statement read to the inquiry, he stated: "I witnessed journalists carrying out repeated privacy infringements using what has now become a well-known technique - to hack into the voicemail systems of celebrities, their friends, publicists and public relations executives.

"The openness and frequency of their hacking activities gave me the impression that hacking was considered a bog-standard journalistic tool for gathering information."

Mr Hipwell said he sat next to the showbiz team, where hacking took place daily.

"Showbiz hacks discussed techniques and products of hacking openly," his statement said.

"I would go as far as to say it happened every day. It became apparent that a great number of stories... would come from that source."

He described Mr Morgan as "very hands-on" and the "beating heart" of the newspaper, and said the editor spent half an hour every day discussing the showbiz reporters' stories.

"Showbusiness is very close to his heart... and a lot of people who had worked on the showbusiness desk had come from the Sun and they were old friends," he said.

David Pilditch Mr Pilditch said reporting on the disappearance of Madeleine McCann was "unsatisfactory"

"Nothing really happened on that desk without Piers knowing about it."

On one occasion in 2000, Mr Hipwell said he saw a journalist openly hack into Mr Morgan's phone.

"I don't think it elicited a great deal of information, but he certainly tried," he said.

Mr Hipwell said he did not report that he had witnessed hacking because senior editors accepted it.

He added that it was "very unlikely" Mr Morgan did not know that Mirror journalists were hacking.

But in evidence to the inquiry on Tuesday, Mr Morgan had firmly denied any knowledge of hacking under his editorship.

He said he had no reason to believe it was going on.

Mr Hipwell was jailed for purchasing low-priced stocks and then recommending them to readers in the paper's City Slickers column, selling them as their values soared.
'Formal suspects'

He received a six-month prison sentence in February 2006 for pocketing nearly £41,000.

Later, the inquiry heard from journalists covering the disappearance of Madeleine McCann from Portugal at the time her parents Kate and Gerry became "arguidos" - or formal suspects.

Daily Express journalist David Pilditch said it had been difficult to cover the story because it was illegal for Portuguese police to talk about the case, and he had to rely on sources.

Two of these were Portuguese journalists in contact with the police, while a third was a translator who worked for police, he said.

Padraic Flanagan Considerations of the law were left to his superiors, Express reporter Padraic Flanagan said

He said it had been a "ludicrous state of affairs" and although he was "confident of the veracity of the reports" he wrote, it made him feel "uncomfortable".

"I knew... there were going to be difficulties if any complaints were made because they weren't publicly declared statements," he said.

The Express newsdesk was well aware of the "fragility" of the situation, he added.

Some of the articles that appeared in the paper falsely alleged the McCanns were responsible for their daughter's death.

In March 2008, it led to Express Newspapers paying the couple £550,000 in libel damages and printing front-page apologies to the McCanns.

The McCanns told the inquiry last month that newspaper suggestions they were responsible had left them distraught.

Later, another Express journalist, Padraic Flanagan, told the inquiry: "Working in Portugal, the first question you asked yourself wasn't 'Can I stand this up?'; it was 'What can I find today?'"

He said "considerations of the law" were left to his superiors.

And former Express reporter Nick Fagge said the story had become an "obsession" of the editor.

"The editor of the time decided it was the only story he was interested in and put it on the front page regardless of how strong the story was," he said.

The inquiry was later adjourned until 9 January.
Annabel
Annabel
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 3528
Warning :

Registration date : 2009-08-25

Back to top Go down

Post  Annabel Wed 21 Dec - 17:25

Annabel
Annabel
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 3528
Warning :

Registration date : 2009-08-25

Back to top Go down

Post  Angelique Wed 21 Dec - 17:41

Panda wrote:At the risk of repeating myself, why are the McCanns brought into this enquiry again? Everyone knows The Express forked out £925,000 + legal fees to the
McCanns and the Tapas 7. this was for libel, not phone hacking........I think Leveson is out of order.

I think Leveson showed himself to be unnaturally biased by this statement:

"Leveson explains he is conducting an investigation into press ethics but is happy to put it on record that this is indeed the case.

Everybody is agreed that there is absolutely no foundation at all for the allegation that emerged throughout the press at this time that Dr and Dr McCann were involved in any way, in any inappropriate conduct in relation to the disappearance of their daughter."

I presume he said all of the above. I think this Inquiry was instigated for the sole purpose of supporting the Mccanns. It seems that way to me.
Angelique
Angelique
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 3418
Warning :

Registration date : 2010-08-28

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed 21 Dec - 17:44

The Leveson Enquiry is deeply flawed and it is hard to believe that this is a senior member of the Judiciary.

He seems to be persuaded more by lobbying and spin than by evidence and fact.

Yet another otherwise intelligent person taken in by the McCampaign and in dire need of training in the art of hat-eating.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next