Missing Madeleine
Come join us...there's more inside you cannot see as a guest!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Missing Madeleine
Come join us...there's more inside you cannot see as a guest!
Missing Madeleine
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Philpotts

+21
wjk
Wintabells
fred
marxman
Loveday
T4two
Justiceforallkids
gillyspot
AnnaEsse
kathybelle
Lioned
mossman
margaret
Loopdaloop
dazedandconfused
Oldartform
cass
princess_leia
tanszi
LJC
Krisy22
25 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Philpotts - Page 2 Empty Re: Philpotts

Post  chrissie Thu 31 May - 11:02

They have appeared in court and been remanded in custody

http://news.sky.com/home/uk-news/article/16238669

The parents of six children killed in a fire at their Derby home have been remanded in custody after appearing in court charged with murder.

Derbyshire Police arrested Mick Philpott, 55, and his wife Mairead, 31, on suspicion of murder on Tuesday.

During the short hearing at South Derby Magistrates' Court, two people were asked to leave after interruptions from the public gallery.

The couple will next appear at Nottingham Crown Court on Friday.

Earlier, a Crown Prosecution Service spokesman said: "The evidence was reviewed by a Crown Advocate from the CPS East Midlands complex casework unit, who decided that there was sufficient evidence to charge and that it is in the public interest for a prosecution to take place.

Flowers at site of Derby house fire

Tributes left outside the house have been moved

"It is important to note that the defendants are entitled to a fair trial and nothing should be said or reported that would prejudice that right."

A fire broke out at the defendants' home, in Victory Road, Allenton, in the early hours of May 11.

Duwayne Philpott, 13, Jade Philpott, 10, John Philpott, nine, Jack Philpott, seven, Jessie Philpott, six, and five-year-old Jayden Philpott all died as a result of the blaze.

Assistant Chief Constable Steve Cotterill said: "A number of people have come forward with more information but I want to stress that the two charges should not be seen as the end of the investigation.

"We are determined to get to the truth of what happened and still want people to speak to us to tell us what they know about this tragedy."

Police previously arrested a 38-year-old man and a 28-year-old woman on suspicion of murder shortly after the fire, but both were released without charge the following day.

Philpott and his wife faced the media at a news conference arranged by police five days after the fire.

chrissie
chrissie
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Number of posts : 3288
Warning :
Philpotts - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Philpotts - Page 2 Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2009-08-28

Back to top Go down

Post  AnnaEsse Thu 31 May - 11:03

margaret wrote:He probably loved the limelight as he'd been on Jeremy Kyle and invited Anne Widdicombe in his house for another programme, the papers (l know, l know!!) say he came running down the street at 4am and 'discovered' the fire so the police would have been wanting to know where he was and why he was up at that time and if his story didn't stack up.... Agree with another poster that the mother looks to be retarded in some way.

Poor little kids, words fail me that parents could do such a thing.

I don't like the word, "retarded," margaret. However, I do think the mother looks as though she's not the full shilling. To have married Mick and had 6 children with him and lived with his other woman in the house is also evidence of that for me. What young woman in her right mind would marry that man?
AnnaEsse
AnnaEsse
Administrator
Administrator

Female
Number of posts : 18693
Warning :
Philpotts - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Philpotts - Page 2 Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2009-09-23

http://frommybigdesk.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  kitti Thu 31 May - 11:23

They have been CHARGED with the murder off their children......the police have enough evidence to do this.

As for being remanded in custody ....perhaps Its for their own safety.
kitti
kitti
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 13400
Warning :

Registration date : 2009-06-21

Back to top Go down

Post  Loveday Thu 31 May - 11:30

AnnaEsse wrote:
margaret wrote:He probably loved the limelight as he'd been on Jeremy Kyle and invited Anne Widdicombe in his house for another programme, the papers (l know, l know!!) say he came running down the street at 4am and 'discovered' the fire so the police would have been wanting to know where he was and why he was up at that time and if his story didn't stack up.... Agree with another poster that the mother looks to be retarded in some way.

Poor little kids, words fail me that parents could do such a thing.

I don't like the word, "retarded," margaret. However, I do think the mother looks as though she's not the full shilling. To have married Mick and had 6 children with him and lived with his other woman in the house is also evidence of that for me. What young woman in her right mind would marry that man?

Well, quite. She's still relatively young, had six children and lived with a man old enough to be her father who continually cheated on her and disrespected her. She's not had a charmed life has she. He'd probably been sniffing around her when she was just a kid herself.

That press conference was utterly bizarre. He sounded like he was reading a thank-you speech to the Oscars. What was the point of it? She's a wretched soul and he seemed to be milking the fame again.

He seems like a male version of Karen Matthews.
Loveday
Loveday
Elite Member
Elite Member

Female
Number of posts : 300
Warning :

Registration date : 2011-05-29

Back to top Go down

Post  xtina Thu 31 May - 11:50

i was going to say she can not be all there ..by the fact alone of sharing him ...and taking it in turns to be with him......

wasn't only the oldest child hers ....and the younger four belonged to the mistress/girlfriend..

wasn't she also in the caravan ...and he elsewhere..[im sure i saw he was at an hotel]

for him to come running up the road someone must have alerted him about the fire ...
xtina
xtina
Elite Member
Elite Member

Female
Number of posts : 329
Warning :

Registration date : 2010-02-18

Back to top Go down

Post  margaret Thu 31 May - 11:58

AnnaEsse wrote:
I don't like the word, "retarded," margaret.

I hope you're not trying to tell me off Anna, whether you like it or not, it is a named disorder and l'm not name calling.
margaret
margaret
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 4406
Warning :

Registration date : 2009-08-25

Back to top Go down

Post  AnnaEsse Thu 31 May - 12:08

margaret wrote:
AnnaEsse wrote:

I hope you're not trying to tell me off Anna, whether you like it or not, it is a named disorder and l'm not name calling.

No, not telling you off, margaret. Just saying that I don't like it. It's one of those words that's used as an insult for people who have a disability.
AnnaEsse
AnnaEsse
Administrator
Administrator

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu 31 May - 12:16

Xtina, if I have the rather complicated relationships correct, all six children were Mairead's - the last five definitely by Mick but the first one I think by someone else before she met him.

Unfortunately, the word "retarded" is sometimes used in a very nasty way by people who don't know better (even worse is the use of "retard" as a noun) and maybe that's why the term "learning disabled" came to be used rather than "mentally retarded".
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Justiceforallkids Thu 31 May - 12:40

Not Born Yesterday wrote:Xtina, if I have the rather complicated relationships correct, all six children are Mairead's - the last five definitely by Mick but the first one I think by someone else before she met him.

Unfortunately, the word "retarded" is sometimes used in a very nasty way by people who don't know better (even worse is the use of "retard" as a noun) and maybe that's why the term "learning disabled" came to be used rather than "mentally retarded".

yes when i was in primary school i was bullied and caleld a retard by kids who didnt know any better because i was physically disabled they assumedi was mentally handicapped and used in context retarted means means slow etc or nowdays mentally disabled some people who we all know who have called me retarted online due to my opinions about this case but that does not bother me because it only shows their ignorance and nastyness
Justiceforallkids
Justiceforallkids
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 5102
Warning :

Registration date : 2009-08-20

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu 31 May - 12:50

That's just the sort of thing I meant, Carly. Other terms which used to be acceptable when I was younger were "spastic" for cerebral palsy and "Mongols" for people with Down's Syndrome.

It's all down to the way things are said and meant. I had a colleague from Pakistan who said that being called a Paki could be no worse than calling someone from Britain a Brit but it would be hard to find the word used in any way other than being highly offensive.

Apologies for wandering off the topic.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldartform Thu 31 May - 12:55

After watching the Jeremy Kyle video, this man comes across as ultra defensive and a control freak - note how he tells his wife to say `what I told you to say`. She comes across as passive and what I would call simple, an easy target to be moulded by a control freak - she is unable to think for herself. I found it interesting that, according to Jeremy Kyle, the children were very well behaved - now this is all very nice, but rather suspicious in my view, especially as the father is so defensive and obviously explosive. Very well behaved children can be so because of fear and control, especially being so many of them. Seems like he saw himself as a major general of an army with a harem of young women which he expected to be paid for by the tax payer. Social Services must have been keeping tabs on him surely.
Oldartform
Oldartform
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Number of posts : 625
Warning :

Registration date : 2011-06-04

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldartform Thu 31 May - 13:04

AnnaEsse wrote:
margaret wrote:
AnnaEsse wrote:

No, not telling you off, margaret. Just saying that I don't like it. It's one of those words that's used as an insult for people who have a disability.

When I was doing my training years ago another student from South Africa used the word retarded and got torn off a strip by the tutor. Its inevitable that whatever label is put on a condition, it always becomes unPC in the end. Retarded means slow and spastic means unco-ordinated muscle movement and are therefore the correct terms to use but over time get used in a derogatory way so they decide to find a nicer word.
Oldartform
Oldartform
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  Justiceforallkids Thu 31 May - 13:08

imo slow in this case or not it is not a excuse they had the intellegence to know that to light petrol on fire would burn etc and they knew the kids were in the house and that fire burns/smoke kills jmo
Justiceforallkids
Justiceforallkids
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu 31 May - 13:11

There certainly is no excuse IF they set the fire but I'm trying not to jump to any conclusions yet!
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Justiceforallkids Thu 31 May - 13:15

Not Born Yesterday wrote:There certainly is no excuse IF they set the fire but I'm trying not to jump to any conclusions yet!

yeah im not either i was just pointing out IF one or other is mentally slow and DID light the house on fire being slow would NOT be a exuse in thierdefence imo because they had the intellect to know that petrol burns etc
Justiceforallkids
Justiceforallkids
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldartform Thu 31 May - 13:39

Justiceforallkids wrote:imo slow in this case or not it is not a excuse they had the intellegence to know that to light petrol on fire would burn etc and they knew the kids were in the house and that fire burns/smoke kills jmo

Yes you`d think so wouldn`t you, but the alternative cause or motive is just too awful to contemplate. I just can`t accept that anyone would kill so many of their own children. Its hard to accept that anyone would kill one or even two of their own children but mass paedocide by parents is incomprehensible.
Oldartform
Oldartform
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  Justiceforallkids Thu 31 May - 13:42

Oldartform wrote:
Justiceforallkids wrote:imo slow in this case or not it is not a excuse they had the intellegence to know that to light petrol on fire would burn etc and they knew the kids were in the house and that fire burns/smoke kills jmo

Yes you`d think so wouldn`t you, but the alternative cause or motive is just too awful to contemplate. I just can`t accept that anyone would kill so many of their own children. Its hard to accept that anyone would kill one or even two of their own children but mass paedocide by parents is incomprehensible.

agree and notice none of the pros are saying the parents are innocent???
Justiceforallkids
Justiceforallkids
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  AnnaEsse Thu 31 May - 15:28

Oldartform wrote:
AnnaEsse wrote:
margaret wrote:
AnnaEsse wrote:

When I was doing my training years ago another student from South Africa used the word retarded and got torn off a strip by the tutor. Its inevitable that whatever label is put on a condition, it always becomes unPC in the end. Retarded means slow and spastic means unco-ordinated muscle movement and are therefore the correct terms to use but over time get used in a derogatory way so they decide to find a nicer word.

When I was doing my Special Ed training years ago, certain classifications for special needs children were used then that would now sound offensive. The words "retarded," and "retard," have entered urban slang in the same way as "gay," has, as insults. It's not a matter of being PC, but finding terms that are not insulting to those who have special needs.
AnnaEsse
AnnaEsse
Administrator
Administrator

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldartform Thu 31 May - 15:54

AnnaEsse wrote:
Oldartform wrote:
AnnaEsse wrote:
margaret wrote:
AnnaEsse wrote:

When I was doing my Special Ed training years ago, certain classifications for special needs children were used then that would now sound offensive. The words "retarded," and "retard," have entered urban slang in the same way as "gay," has, as insults. It's not a matter of being PC, but finding terms that are not insulting to those who have special needs.

Trouble is even the new words become insults eventually. There`s nothing wrong with the words, its the vitriol behind it. One can say `homosexual` in a respectful way and also in a derogatory way but shortening it; it all depends if its intended to be a put-down or not. I have heard the words `learning difficulties` said politely and sadly heard it shortened and used derogatorily. It all depends on the intent of the speaker.

Oldartform
Oldartform
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  AnnaEsse Thu 31 May - 16:00

Oldartform wrote:
AnnaEsse wrote:
Oldartform wrote:
AnnaEsse wrote:
margaret wrote:

Trouble is even the new words become insults eventually. There`s nothing wrong with the words, its the vitriol behind it. One can say `homosexual` in a respectful way and also in a derogatory way but shortening it; it all depends if its intended to be a put-down or not. I have heard the words `learning difficulties` said politely and sadly heard it shortened and used derogatorily. It all depends on the intent of the speaker.

Absolutely agree. I would rather a child asked politely for something without a please or a thank you than use either of those pleasantries in a rude way. However, when words that were once used simply as descriptors become generally used as insults, I think we have a responsibility not to use them.
AnnaEsse
AnnaEsse
Administrator
Administrator

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  margaret Thu 31 May - 16:54

I've made almost 3000 posts and have been attacked today for ONE word.

Thanks all, really appreciated......
margaret
margaret
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 4406
Warning :

Registration date : 2009-08-25

Back to top Go down

Post  Justiceforallkids Thu 31 May - 17:17

margaret wrote:I've made almost 3000 posts and have been attacked today for ONE word.

oh sweetie im not attacking you noone is we were just pointing out theres better words Philpotts - Page 2 83453 Philpotts - Page 2 306321
Justiceforallkids
Justiceforallkids
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  Loveday Thu 31 May - 17:21

margaret wrote:I've made almost 3000 posts and have been attacked today for ONE word.

I used it first. I find it quite odd that it's somehow offensive but 'not the full shilling' and 'simple' are ok alternatives.

I try to use the current 'accepted' terms and am incredibly 'PC' (for want of a better term) but sometimes it feels as if the goal posts are moved overnight and that context becomes irrelevant in the face of personal sensitivities.

I mean neither of us are calling an innocent child a spaz for heaven's sake! This is more than likely a multiple murderer who is quite obviously not all there!

Point taken though.
Loveday
Loveday
Elite Member
Elite Member

Female
Number of posts : 300
Warning :

Registration date : 2011-05-29

Back to top Go down

Post  dazedandconfused Thu 31 May - 17:28

The word retarded doesn't bother me, as long as it isn't said in malice, just a statement of fact. My husband always uses "a sandwich short of a picnic".
dazedandconfused
dazedandconfused
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Number of posts : 2101
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu 31 May - 17:46

Horrible man (Philpott not JK).
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next