Missing Madeleine
Come join us...there's more inside you cannot see as a guest!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Missing Madeleine
Come join us...there's more inside you cannot see as a guest!
Missing Madeleine
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ebola -what is the real truth?

5 posters

Go down

Ebola -what is the real truth? Empty Ebola -what is the real truth?

Post  katertaif Mon 13 Oct - 16:42

There have been Ebola outbreaks before, but relatively mild to the one sweeping through West Africa now and cropping up all over. We keep getting told that it can only be spread by the mixing of body fluids and even if someone sneezes next to you on the aircraft no problem. So how is it spreading so rapidly?

I believe we have not been told exactly how it does spread so rapidly.
katertaif
katertaif
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Male
Number of posts : 1296
Warning :
Ebola -what is the real truth? Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Ebola -what is the real truth? Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2014-02-24

Back to top Go down

Ebola -what is the real truth? Empty Re: Ebola -what is the real truth?

Post  fuzeta Mon 13 Oct - 18:19

I agree Katertaif, it all seems very strange. I don't for one minute think that it is only passed on through bodily fluids. If it is, how is it that it is spreading at such an alarming rate?
fuzeta
fuzeta
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 4231
Warning :
Ebola -what is the real truth? Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Ebola -what is the real truth? Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2008-07-24

Back to top Go down

Post  Claudia79 Mon 13 Oct - 18:28

katertaif wrote:There have been Ebola outbreaks before, but relatively mild to the one sweeping through West Africa now and cropping up all over. We keep getting told that it can only be spread by the mixing of body fluids and even if someone sneezes next to you on the aircraft no problem. So how is it spreading so rapidly?

Last time I checked snot was a body fluid.
Claudia79
Claudia79
Administrator
Administrator

Female
Number of posts : 7007
Warning :

Registration date : 2009-08-25

http://proud-of-the-pj.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Claudia79 Mon 13 Oct - 18:32

Ebola is only spreading at an alarming rate in places where health care and hygiene is a problem (which is very sad, of course). As for the rest of the world, there are two known cases of contamination: one in the USA and one in Spain, both due to protocol breaches. The Spanish nurse who was in contact with an Ebola patient who died touched her face with her glove by accident, sadly.
Claudia79
Claudia79
Administrator
Administrator

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  Claudia79 Mon 13 Oct - 18:42

Last night there was a suspicious case of Ebola in Portugal. Fortunately the patient tested negative for Ebola so all is well. However, the patient who had been to Africa recently and who thought she had symptoms compatible with Ebola did not follow the advised protocol. She went to the hospital by herself. Had she been infected, she could have contamined other people on her way to the hospital and in the hospital itself. There's a free number here for people who think they may have Ebola to call. Health professionals will then ask several important questions. If the answer to those questions is compatible with an Ebola suspicion, then the patient has to stay home and fully protected health professionals will meet the patient there and arrange for transportation. Sadly Ebola has been a problem for several months in some African countries and there are more than 4000 victims. However, only now that America and Europe think they are at risk, does it seem to be a real cause for concern.
Claudia79
Claudia79
Administrator
Administrator

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  Angelina Mon 13 Oct - 19:26

I can't understand why these people who have been in contact are going to emergency rooms....why can't they just pick up the phone! Every winter with norovirus we are warned to stay home and not go to the ER dept and yet they are doing it with Ebola!
Angelina
Angelina
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Number of posts : 2933
Warning :

Registration date : 2008-08-01

Back to top Go down

Post  Claudia79 Mon 13 Oct - 20:03

Angelina wrote:I can't understand why these people who have been in contact are going to emergency rooms....why can't they just pick up the phone!    Every winter with norovirus we are warned to stay home and not go to the ER dept and yet they are doing it with Ebola!

I think panic is part of it, Angelina. And the press is also responsible for it. Information is everything but panic doesn't help anyone.
Claudia79
Claudia79
Administrator
Administrator

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  katertaif Tue 14 Oct - 8:18

Claudia79 wrote:
katertaif wrote:There have been Ebola outbreaks before, but relatively mild to the one sweeping through West Africa now and cropping up all over. We keep getting told that it can only be spread by the mixing of body fluids and even if someone sneezes next to you on the aircraft no problem. So how is it spreading so rapidly?

Snot as you call it is indeed a body fluid, and that is what prompted my post. Several doctors have said on TV (I obviously cannot speak for Portuguese TV, it may have been mentioned there, but I don't know) That even if someone sneezes it wouldn't be a problem. Among other things, that is why I say there is something we do not know.
katertaif
katertaif
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Male
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  Claudia79 Tue 14 Oct - 13:06

katertaif wrote:
Claudia79 wrote:

Snot as you call it is indeed a body fluid, and that is what prompted my post. Several doctors have said on TV (I obviously cannot speak for Portuguese TV, it may have been mentioned there, but I don't know) That even if someone sneezes it wouldn't be a problem. Among other things, that is why I say there is something we do not know.

I happen to think it is quite clear. Any contact with body fluids may be a cause for contamination. If someone sneezes next to you and there is no contact between you and the person's snot (it's disgusting, I know. Sorry!), then you're fine. If you don't miss the person's snot, then you may have a problem. Let's not forget that if this virus was airborne there would be tens of thousands of deaths, likely more.
Claudia79
Claudia79
Administrator
Administrator

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  katertaif Tue 14 Oct - 13:30

You are IMHO more likely to be right than not. Sneezing does release body fluids into the air and anyone breathing it in stands a good chance of catching whatever disease is released. As I say, that is what prompted my post. I agree with you, but several medical people have on news broadcasts stated that you can't catch it off a sneeze. So it would be quite clear to me also if it were not for those caveats.

Now if we take the case you mention of the nurse who disregarded protocol (probably never gave it a seconds thought) All she did was touch her clothing which was contaminated, and then transferred it to her face. So if you can catch it from so little and fleeting a contact surely you can get it from the person next to you, or even over in the next aisle sneezing!!

It may be that they do not want to cause panic or it my be that those making the comment don't fully understand the mechanism of transferral yet. I say again, I agree with you, and that is why I posted the comment.

Last edited by katertaif on Tue 14 Oct - 13:33; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : mispelling)
katertaif
katertaif
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Male
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  Claudia79 Tue 14 Oct - 19:37

The virus is not that easily transmitted or we would have tens of thousands of deaths. The Spanish nurse had been in contact with an ebola patient's vomit, urine, sweat, etc. She was the one who ahd to clean the patient's room. While taking off her suit she touched her face with her glove. It happened. However, for quite some time she led a normal life. She even went on vacation while already infected and showing symptoms (fever). She went to the hairdresser, she had body hair removed, etc. No one she came in contact with has shown any symptoms so far. Not even her husband. In countries such as Sierra Leone or Liberia it's different, sadly. I watched a news segment yesterday where hospital staff who were caring for patients said that every time they were looking after the sick they prayed because the only protection they had was gloves and surgical masks. This virus is clearly not airborne or the number of deaths would be a lot higher.
Claudia79
Claudia79
Administrator
Administrator

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  fuzeta Tue 14 Oct - 19:54

I have seen on the news tonight that we are sending 750 personnel to Africa to help these poor people who must be living a hell on earth.
We are sending a huge vessel with a helicopter pad, supplies and the equipment to build hospitals. We have stepped up to the mark as we always do. I presume and hope that other European countries will follow suit.

I hope that they are able to put a rein on this dreadful disease that has taken 4,500 lives already. At the least they will be able to give help to the suffering.

I wish these brave people well and fervently hope that they all come back home safe and well.
fuzeta
fuzeta
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  wjk Tue 14 Oct - 20:09

fuzeta wrote:I have seen on the news tonight that we are sending 750 personnel to Africa to help these poor people who must be living a hell on earth.
We are sending a huge vessel with a helicopter pad, supplies and the equipment to build  hospitals.   We have stepped up to the mark as we always do. I presume and hope that other European countries will follow suit.

I hope that they are able to put a rein on this dreadful disease that has taken 4,500 lives already.  At the least they will be able to give help to the suffering.

I wish these brave people well and fervently hope that they all come back home safe and well.

Hear, hear, fuz.
wjk
wjk
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 7815
Warning :

Registration date : 2009-08-20

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue 14 Oct - 20:27

Claudia79 wrote:The virus is not that easily transmitted or we would have tens of thousands of deaths. The Spanish nurse had been in contact with an ebola patient's vomit, urine, sweat, etc. She was the one who ahd to clean the patient's room. While taking off her suit she touched her face with her glove. It happened. However, for quite some time she led a normal life. She even went on vacation while already infected and showing symptoms (fever). She went to the hairdresser, she had body hair removed, etc. No one she came in contact with has shown any symptoms so far. Not even her husband. In countries such as Sierra Leone or Liberia it's different, sadly. I watched a news segment yesterday where hospital staff who were caring for patients said that every time they were looking after the sick they prayed because the only protection they had was gloves and surgical masks. This virus is clearly not airborne or the number of deaths would be a lot higher.

apparently for it to become airborne would require a significant change in the virus's genetic make up. it has shown no signs that this has happened and apparently it's unlikely it will.

Ebola -what is the real truth? 25346
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  katertaif Wed 15 Oct - 0:33

fuzeta wrote:I have seen on the news tonight that we are sending 750 personnel to Africa to help these poor people who must be living a hell on earth.
We are sending a huge vessel with a helicopter pad, supplies and the equipment to build  hospitals.   We have stepped up to the mark as we always do. I presume and hope that other European countries will follow suit.

I hope that they are able to put a rein on this dreadful disease that has taken 4,500 lives already.  At the least they will be able to give help to the suffering.

As you say we have demonstrated our willingness to help.
katertaif
katertaif
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Male
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  Claudia79 Wed 15 Oct - 1:23

Marky wrote:
Claudia79 wrote:The virus is not that easily transmitted or we would have tens of thousands of deaths. The Spanish nurse had been in contact with an ebola patient's vomit, urine, sweat, etc. She was the one who ahd to clean the patient's room. While taking off her suit she touched her face with her glove. It happened. However, for quite some time she led a normal life. She even went on vacation while already infected and showing symptoms (fever). She went to the hairdresser, she had body hair removed, etc. No one she came in contact with has shown any symptoms so far. Not even her husband. In countries such as Sierra Leone or Liberia it's different, sadly. I watched a news segment yesterday where hospital staff who were caring for patients said that every time they were looking after the sick they prayed because the only protection they had was gloves and surgical masks. This virus is clearly not airborne or the number of deaths would be a lot higher.

apparently for it to become airborne would require a significant change in the virus's genetic make up. it has shown no signs that this has happened and apparently it's unlikely it will.

It's not impossible but, as you say, it is unlikely. Especially because it has been around since the seventies.
Claudia79
Claudia79
Administrator
Administrator

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  Claudia79 Wed 15 Oct - 1:24

I hope so too. For everybody's sake.
Claudia79
Claudia79
Administrator
Administrator

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed 15 Oct - 15:59

Claudia79 wrote:
Marky wrote:

It's not impossible but, as you say, it is unlikely. Especially because it has been around since the seventies.

quite. this would also appear to be the view of the scientific community, or at least those who have been quoted.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Claudia79 Wed 15 Oct - 20:48

Marky wrote:
Claudia79 wrote:
Marky wrote:

quite. this would also appear to be the view of the scientific community, or at least those who have been quoted.

That's what I heard and read too.
Claudia79
Claudia79
Administrator
Administrator

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  fuzeta Fri 17 Oct - 22:34

Peter Piot the man who discovered the Ebola virus in 1976 has called for more European countries to help combat this virus. He said that apart from the UK other European countries were not coming through with help and resources. He said that there is help coming from China and the USA but more needs to be done by the rest of Europe.

I later heard that France is also helping, I hope so. David Cameron has also spoken very strongly, telling the rest of Europe that they must not just stand by but must put resources into helping with the crisis.
fuzeta
fuzeta
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down