Missing Madeleine
Come join us...there's more inside you cannot see as a guest!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Missing Madeleine
Come join us...there's more inside you cannot see as a guest!
Missing Madeleine
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CHILDREN"S EDUCATION

3 posters

Go down

CHILDREN"S EDUCATION Empty CHILDREN"S EDUCATION

Post  Panda Wed 8 Sep - 10:00

Children in a School in Scotland are being taught using IPads, the kids enjoy using them but is is questionable
whether it is the right way to educate children. Considering Britain is 18th in the Europe with children having basic education skills, this is another step backwards!!!!!
Panda
Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 30555
Warning :
CHILDREN"S EDUCATION Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100CHILDREN"S EDUCATION Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2010-03-27

Back to top Go down

CHILDREN"S EDUCATION Empty Re: CHILDREN"S EDUCATION

Post  fred Mon 13 Sep - 15:01

At my daughters school, they have all been given laptops (supplied by the government) but they only use them once a week, emphasis is still on the old type of learning.
fred
fred
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Number of posts : 4927
Warning :
CHILDREN"S EDUCATION Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100CHILDREN"S EDUCATION Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2009-08-25

Back to top Go down

Post  AnnaEsse Mon 13 Sep - 15:19

I think that an important aspect of learning is bypassed when children use mainly digital media. Writing something down, rather than copying and pasting, which is very common now, involves the kinaesthetic modality and helps learning to take place.
AnnaEsse
AnnaEsse
Administrator
Administrator

Female
Number of posts : 18693
Warning :

Registration date : 2009-09-23

http://frommybigdesk.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Panda Mon 13 Sep - 20:12

When my Sons were young I could hardly understand their Homework, phonetic teaching of the alphabet, no
old fashioned Times table etc. Now we have calculators so you don"t have to learn how to add and subtract, a completely alien mobile phone and computer language , abbreviations for words etc. This results in Pupils not having to think or act for themselves, this is why we are 18th in child education in Europe.
Panda
Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  AnnaEsse Mon 13 Sep - 20:25

Panda wrote:
When my Sons were young I could hardly understand their Homework, phonetic teaching of the alphabet, no
old fashioned Times table etc. Now we have calculators so you don"t have to learn how to add and subtract, a completely alien mobile phone and computer language , abbreviations for words etc. This results in Pupils not having to think or act for themselves, this is why we are 18th in child education in Europe.

I agree, Panda. I really don't think that children should be allowed to use calculators for tasks that can be worked out efficiently without them. Using calculators for what I consider to be things they need to be able to do without, like times tables and simple multiplication, means they often don't know the mechanics of the operations. I surprise kids a lot by doing things either in my head or on bits of paper more quickly than they can do them with a calculator.

They won't always have a calculator handy when they need to work something out or they would be sensible to work it out. For example, in a supermarket, I saw packs of tea bags offered at a certain price, and it was supposed to be a special offer, but I was able to work out that if I bought two smaller packs, I'd actually save money.
AnnaEsse
AnnaEsse
Administrator
Administrator

Female
Number of posts : 18693
Warning :

Registration date : 2009-09-23

http://frommybigdesk.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Panda Mon 13 Sep - 22:45

I can still add up in my Head, yet time and again when buying things in small shops without a modern Till
the assistant had to write every Item down. To my mind, they should never have abolished the 11 + because
comprehensive Education brings all children down to the same level and of course they are not. Not everyone
is a natural Academic and we had an Apprenticeship scheme in Industry for youngsters to learn a Trade. Sadly
that disappeared with the decline in Manufacturing but had the Goverment had the foresight, youngsters
leaving school could have been trained in Colleges as Tradesmen so we wouldn"t have to import Labour. It would also have kept them off the Streets getting up to mischief.
Panda
Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum