Missing Madeleine
Come join us...there's more inside you cannot see as a guest!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Missing Madeleine
Come join us...there's more inside you cannot see as a guest!
Missing Madeleine
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sir Paul Stephenson: Falling murder rate allowed Maddy investigation to proceed

4 posters

Go down

Sir Paul Stephenson: Falling murder rate allowed Maddy investigation to proceed Empty Sir Paul Stephenson: Falling murder rate allowed Maddy investigation to proceed

Post  quickfingers Thu 26 May - 21:26

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/8539559/Sir-Paul-Stephenson-Falling-murder-rate-allowed-Maddy-investigation-to-proceed.html

The Commissioner of the Metropolitan police yesterday revealed that he decided to take on the Madeleine McCann investigation because London’s falling murder rate meant that he had detectives spare.

Sir Paul said that Scotland Yard's experience and expertise meant that they were the perfect force to lead a review into the Portuguese investigation in Madeleine's disappearance Photo: APBy Mark Hughes, Crime Correspondent 6:51PM BST 26 May 2011
Follow Mark Hughes on Twitter

Sir Paul Stephenson has previously denied that Scotland Yard was forced to investigate the case by the Prime Minister and the Home Secretary.

The Commissioner has stressed that he made the decision and there was no political interference from David Cameron.

Yesterday, under questioning from Metropolitan Police Authority members, he detailed his reasoning for taking on the investigation.

Sir Paul said that one of the reasons is the number of murders in London – which has fallen to 124 in 2011 from 172 per year in 2006.

He explained that it meant there is now no need for 24 murder teams across the capital and the number will be reduced in the next nine months, leaving experienced detectives free to take on the McCann case.
quickfingers
quickfingers
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Number of posts : 661
Warning :
Sir Paul Stephenson: Falling murder rate allowed Maddy investigation to proceed Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Sir Paul Stephenson: Falling murder rate allowed Maddy investigation to proceed Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2009-09-06

Back to top Go down

Sir Paul Stephenson: Falling murder rate allowed Maddy investigation to proceed Empty Re: Sir Paul Stephenson: Falling murder rate allowed Maddy investigation to proceed

Post  Guest Thu 26 May - 21:30

To be honest, I simply don't care what machinations took place to get SY on the job - the mere fact that it is happening is cause for celebration. And I assume that is a sentiment shared by pro, anti and fence-sitter alike?
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Sir Paul Stephenson: Falling murder rate allowed Maddy investigation to proceed Empty Re: Sir Paul Stephenson: Falling murder rate allowed Maddy investigation to proceed

Post  quickfingers Thu 26 May - 21:31

Interesting it is experts in murder who will be investigating.
quickfingers
quickfingers
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Number of posts : 661
Warning :
Sir Paul Stephenson: Falling murder rate allowed Maddy investigation to proceed Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Sir Paul Stephenson: Falling murder rate allowed Maddy investigation to proceed Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2009-09-06

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu 26 May - 21:36

I suppose so - but I've not seen much from any point of view which suggests that the key crime is murder.

If I recall correctly, the most common thoughts revolve around (In no particular order):

Neglect

Manslaughter

Accidental Death

The Administration Of Narcotics To Minors (Which could entail the Procurement and Supply of Controlled Drugs)

(Abduction - the least likely, yet much vaunted option)

Friends, please add to the list any I've forgotten.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  widowan Thu 26 May - 21:40

And yet-

Sir Paul said that one of the reasons is the number of murders in London – which has fallen to 124 in 2011 from 172 per year in 2006.

He explained that it meant there is now no need for 24 murder teams across the capital
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Murder is the crime being investigated here - whatever "outs" the PJ gave the McCanns in terms of getting them to confess to hiding a child's accidental death - they are putting murder investigators onto this.

Eddy and Keela - good dogs.

Good dogs.
widowan
widowan
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Number of posts : 3378
Warning :

Registration date : 2010-08-23

Back to top Go down

Post  jejune Thu 26 May - 21:59

This makes it sound like the Met have got teams of detectives hanging around with nothing to do. I thought the police were constantly complaining that they were overworked and undermanned? However, if there are so many free detectives, why aren't they put to work investigating other unsolved missing people cases, such as Ben Needham? If there are so many of them then why throw them all at the McCanns?
jejune
jejune
Elite Member
Elite Member

Female
Number of posts : 312
Warning :

Registration date : 2009-09-15

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu 26 May - 22:01

The likelihood of conviction?
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Angelique Thu 26 May - 22:04

jejune wrote:This makes it sound like the Met have got teams of detectives hanging around with nothing to do. I thought the police were constantly complaining that they were overworked and undermanned? However, if there are so many free detectives, why aren't they put to work investigating other unsolved missing people cases, such as Ben Needham? If there are so many of them then why throw them all at the McCanns?

Now I am getting a bit jittery about this - I originally thought - ah! cut backs and this may have been instead of redundancies, not sure now. Has the crime rate fallen. I seem to hear continually of people being killed in London and surrounding areas.

Still I am prepared just wait and see whether the stone gathers some moss.
Angelique
Angelique
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 3418
Warning :

Registration date : 2010-08-28

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down