Missing Madeleine
Come join us...there's more inside you cannot see as a guest!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Missing Madeleine
Come join us...there's more inside you cannot see as a guest!
Missing Madeleine
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rebekah Brooks arrested

+29
Chris
Panda
kitti
Angelique
Dimsie
Claudia79
Indya
frencheuropean
Indigo
Bobsy
almostgothic
halfamo
docmac
devonmum
widowan
Badboy
AnnaEsse
mumbles
victor mendez
marxman
buildersbum
ann_chovey
aqeleega
Carolina
Ollybelle
Angelina
MaryB
cass
pennylane
33 posters

Page 4 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

Rebekah Brooks arrested - Page 4 Empty Re: Rebekah Brooks arrested

Post  widowan Mon 18 Jul - 0:05

victor mendez wrote:
Chris wrote:
victor mendez wrote:Sorry to be a bit thick but why did she want this guy to dress up as Harry Potter? Was it a joke or something? I don't understand. My brain hurts. Rebekah Brooks arrested - Page 4 847843

In case of "a Harry Potter emergency" apparently.

Well, what on earth is 'a Harry Potter emergency'. Please, someone tell me. I must know.

if you figure this out please let us know, they seem to be more worried about this emergency than the 9/11 emergency.
To me it smacks of a totally out of whack approach to the news, I mean I know 9/11 happened in the US and some people even thought this was what we "deserved" in the US because of the international situation , see , this is what you get for invading the middle east - but for a news agency to focus on the need for Harry Potter dancing about in the background to al new conferences is... sick,... these were planes of families with babies and toddlers, and business men and school kids, hijacked, and crashed into buildings. It's hard for me to imagine that Rebekah Brooks would not "get" the human impact of this moment for its weight in sheer human grief and horror.

I remember this and so do we all all, seeing those planes dive into those buildings - I was four when Kennedy was assassinated and they say if you were from aged 5 up you remember it, and I do remember it, the impact it had on my family, teachers, community. Something that drove a knife into your heart and ended the way you thought about the world, forever. And 9/11 was the same, If you were over kindergarten age in 2001 as an American, or someone who was here then, you have this burned into your psyche. To use this as ... whatever ... some kind of "buy a paper, this is a big story" moment when you could have a way to sell papers - and might as well leverage your Harry Potter guy and take advantage of it - it makes me despair that where the heart should be in Rebekah Brooks, there's something else. Something small and cruddy and manky and inhuman, I'm not sure if it's illegal - but it probably should be.
widowan
widowan
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Number of posts : 3378
Warning :
Rebekah Brooks arrested - Page 4 Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Rebekah Brooks arrested - Page 4 Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2010-08-23

Back to top Go down

Post  Angelique Mon 18 Jul - 0:14

I can't figure this Harry Potter thing either - is it a Spoof?

I have to agree that if it actually took place is disgusting to be behaving in this manner as though it's panto time.

The 9/11 attack will never be erased from my mind especially for the people on the plane - this I could barely believe - the horror of the child who asked her Mum what was happening. In some way it was worse for those on the plane because they had knowledge of how they were to die. I will never, never forget it
Angelique
Angelique
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 3418
Warning :
Rebekah Brooks arrested - Page 4 Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Rebekah Brooks arrested - Page 4 Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2010-08-28

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon 18 Jul - 0:16

It doesn't look like a spoof. It was reported in the Guardian as early as 2002.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2002/aug/28/newsoftheworld.september112001
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  docmac Mon 18 Jul - 0:25

Iris wrote:It doesn't look like a spoof. It was reported in the Guardian as early as 2002.

Begley alleged that at 4.30pm on the day of the terror attacks his news editor approached him and told him that Wade wanted him to come to her office dressed as JK Rowling's fictional schoolboy wizard.
AM I the only one who sees what was really going on?? Rebekah Brooks arrested - Page 4 25346
docmac
docmac
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Number of posts : 1936
Warning :
Rebekah Brooks arrested - Page 4 Left_bar_bleue30 / 10030 / 100Rebekah Brooks arrested - Page 4 Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2010-07-21

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon 18 Jul - 0:26

Angelique wrote:I can't figure this Harry Potter thing either - is it a Spoof?

I have to agree that if it actually took place is disgusting to be behaving in this manner as though it's panto time.

The 9/11 attack will never be erased from my mind especially for the people on the plane - this I could barely believe - the horror of the child who asked her Mum what was happening. In some way it was worse for those on the plane because they had knowledge of how they were to die. I will never, never forget it

No it's not a spoof (AFAIK) it was reported in 2002

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1406429/Pottergate-we-publish-the-secret-tapes.html

Pottergate: we publish the secret tapes
12:00AM BST 06 Sep 2002
The story so far…
Last week, Charles Begley, the News of the World's former Harry Potter correspondent, revealed his humiliation at being required to impersonate the schoolboy wizard.

Personally, I think it was just a power thing - you did what Rebekah and Andy wanted or......... you took sick leave. These (RB and AC) are not nice people (IMHO)

Here's another ex NOTW journo

The first week of the rest of my life
Until last Saturday Tom Latchem was TV editor of the News of the World. He describes how he has passed the time since the paper closed

Sunday, 17 July 2011SHARE PRINTEMAILTEXT SIZE NORMALLARGEEXTRA LARGE
JASON ALDEN
Tom Latchem in Shadwell, near the old 'News of the World' offices, last week

Monday

Wake up at 4.30am, feeling shattered and with a sore head after a 24-hour drinking session to wave goodbye to the most exciting, exhilarating three years of my life – and to the many dear friends I met during that time. Bollocks, why did I agree to do the Sky News press preview when I was drunk? Still, got to be professional – and it's vital I get myself out there at a time of uncertainty. So I pull on my suit and leap into the waiting car. I have to admit, I'm not my usual jovial self as the hangover kicks in, but I manage an OK performance alongside former RAF man John Nichol. Nice guy, and he is happy to do the talking on the contentious News International stories while I describe the incredible moment we walked out of Wapping for the last time. Afterwards I go home and spend the day watching coverage of our last hours. The magnitude of all that has happened and the personal uncertainty about my future hits me. It is the first time I have seen any clips of the day, including the impassioned tub-thumping farewell speech from our editor, Colin Myler, and I am not ashamed to say I shed a tear. Usually, I'd be calling round my contacts to fill my story list and scouring the TV listings for potential shows to cover, filled with fear that I am about to get a dressing-down from the boss if my stories aren't good enough. It is liberating to feel I will never have to worry about that again but, at the same time, I am infinitely emotional, switching, moment by moment, from beaming pride to sadness to emptiness. Seeing Colin's warm words about us, and our unified march towards the waiting cameras, sends shivers down my spine: we made history but now we are history. Go to the pub to see my old colleagues. I'm amazed at how we have all rallied round each other. The bonds we have forged during this difficult period will last for ever.

Tuesday

Wake up early (again ... thought I was meant to be unemployed!) for an interview at a central London hotel on the Australian 60 Minutes show. Knowing that the interviewer, Ray Martin, is the Aussie Jeremy Paxman, I know he will pose some difficult questions and I'm not wrong. He really goes for me. But I have nothing to hide in this awful saga so I strongly, yet politely, deny any knowledge of phone hacking. He seems annoyed, but I can only tell him over and over again what I know to be true: that nobody who I worked with on the paper in its final days had anything to do with the terrible things the News of the World was being accused of. Those who lost their jobs were decent, proud journalists who have been left as hurt as anybody by what has happened. The grilling reminds me of my normal Tuesday morning – the terrifying weekly story ideas conference – and I can't help but raise a smile at the memory... and at the knowledge I may never be able to sit through another one. Go back down the pub with a load of former workmates (there's a pattern emerging from this period of unemployment) and drink into the early hours as we chat about the recent past, and the inevitable employment difficulties we will face.

Wednesday

Wake with a hangover, feeling utterly drained. The reality has finally kicked in: we are never going back to the News of the World. Sit in bed until midday with my laptop. I can't stop watching Colin's speech. You can tell he is furious at what has happened, yet he showed real dignity and honour. I am proud to have been able to say he was my boss, and I hope one day we will be able to sit down over a pint and talk about the great memories we shared over the last week. Some of my work pals are doing a trip to Thorpe Park but I just can't face it. A friend of mine, Nicki Slater, comes down from Harrogate and we go out for lunch to cheer us both up. A tenacious young reporter, she has been left devastated: she had been accepted on to the News of the World graduate scheme, only to see it snatched away days later. She had been looking forward to moving to London and starting a new life as a journalist, but now finds herself in limbo.

Thursday

Go for a consultation with an accountant. At the moment, my future is up in the air, but if I am to go freelance, I will need to make sure my finances are in shape. Meet a lawyer contact of mine, who offers warm words. So, too, does a journalist friend who works on a rival newspaper, who I meet for lunch. Hacks I see later at a leaving do for a reporter on another rival paper are also supportive. I have made friends with some great people across the industry. The messages I have received from contacts, PRs, fellow journalists and even the public have been so heart-warming. It's good to know there are at least some people out there who feel sorry for those of us who are carrying the can for the actions of some bad people in the past.

Friday

Wake up with yet another hangover to find Rebekah Brooks has resigned, but I have more important personal matters to be worrying about. Go into work to pick up my bag, which I'd left in the office. We'd been told we could collect our things on Monday, albeit under supervision, but then the police moved the goalposts. It's insulting to think that we are being viewed with suspicion when we have done nothing wrong. I wonder what they thought they might find in my dictionary. I feel tarnished. Try to do my expenses and put through some story payments. I considered doing them last Saturday, but got to 6pm and decided I didn't want my last hours in the newsroom to be taken up doing admin. In the evening a lot of my former colleagues meet up for a birthday meal and lots of drinks. I think, with 83 days of our consultation period left to go, these social nights out are going to be a regular thing. I'm going to make the most of it!

Saturday

Surfaced at midday after my first lie-in since we shut. Never could get away with that on a NOTW Saturday. Pottered about. Feels weird. I'll miss the buzz you only ever get at the NOTW when you're wondering if we've got a scoop that's going to get the nation talking (or you've written it yourself and know it's a belter). Ah well, at least the flat should stay clean – my flatmate will be pleased.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/media/press/the-first-week-of-the-rest-of-my-life-2314926.html
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon 18 Jul - 0:32

@TimGatt

BREAK Rebekah Brooks released on bail by police
1 minute ago via Echofon
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  docmac Mon 18 Jul - 0:43

docmac wrote:
Iris wrote:It doesn't look like a spoof. It was reported in the Guardian as early as 2002.

Begley alleged that at 4.30pm on the day of the terror attacks his news editor approached him and told him that Wade wanted him to come to her office dressed as JK Rowling's fictional schoolboy wizard.
AM I the only one who sees what was really going on?? Rebekah Brooks arrested - Page 4 25346
Just to add - the ex NOTW journalist who correctly predicted the fates awaiting both RB and Stephenson took a break from Twitter to go and see 'Harry Potter'... IMO there will be a lot more to come from this wizard...
docmac
docmac
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Warning :
Rebekah Brooks arrested - Page 4 Left_bar_bleue30 / 10030 / 100Rebekah Brooks arrested - Page 4 Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon 18 Jul - 1:06

docmac wrote:
docmac wrote:

Just to add - the ex NOTW journalist who correctly predicted the fates awaiting both RB and Stephenson took a break from Twitter to go and see 'Harry Potter'... IMO there will be a lot more to come from this wizard...

Oh, so you're a fake follower too?? All smoke and mirrors (imho, of course).
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Badboy Mon 18 Jul - 1:10

REBEKAH WADE HAS BEEN RELEASED ON BAIL,I THINK I HEARD ON NEWS.
GOODNIGHT FOR NOW
Badboy
Badboy
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Male
Number of posts : 8852
Warning :

Registration date : 2009-08-31

Back to top Go down

Post  docmac Mon 18 Jul - 1:28

carmen wrote:
docmac wrote:
docmac wrote:

Oh, so you're a fake follower too?? All smoke and mirrors (imho, of course).
I most certainly do not follow the fake RB. IMO she was screwing her employees - if you know what I mean. Would not be surprised if she used smoke and mirrors...
docmac
docmac
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris Mon 18 Jul - 8:13

Good grief I didn't realise the reporter had to change his name by deed poll too.
Chris
Chris
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Number of posts : 1632
Warning :

Registration date : 2010-05-27

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon 18 Jul - 8:39

@TimGatt

BREAK Woah. Boris (Johnson) drops another bomb: says he's asked the Met Police Authority's professional standards authority to investigate John Yates
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Angelique Mon 18 Jul - 9:23

What is very suspicious is that it has been said on BBC News that RB pressed Cameron to employ Coulson. Wallis was recruited into the Met. by Sir Paul.

So where else has Murdoch placed his men?
Angelique
Angelique
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon 18 Jul - 9:49

Angelique wrote:What is very suspicious is that it has been said on BBC News that RB pressed Cameron to employ Coulson. Wallis was recruited into the Met. by Sir Paul.

This was the Mail's headline on Saturday

Rebekah vetoed BBC man and told Cameron he should give No10 job to Andy Coulson

Disgraced former News International boss Rebekah Brooks intervened to persuade David Cameron to make ex-News of the World editor Andy Coulson his spin doctor, it was claimed last night.
She is understood to have urged Mr Cameron to scrap plans to give the job to a senior BBC journalist. Mr Cameron was told it should go to someone who was ‘acceptable’ to News International.
The disclosure increases pressure on Mr Cameron over his close links to Mrs Brooks and the Murdoch empire.

Rebekah Brooks (left) is understood to have urged David Cameron to make Andy Coulson (right) his spin doctor
It follows the revelation that Mr Coulson stayed at the Prime Minister’s country residence, Chequers, two months after he was forced to quit as Downing Street’s head of communications over the phone-hacking scandal.

Cameron had intended to appoint the BBC's Guto Harri as his media chief
Mr Cameron met News International executives 26 times in 15 months.
Mr Cameron had been on the brink of appointing the BBC’s Guto Harri as his media chief when he was Opposition leader. Mr Harri and his family spent a weekend with the Camerons in 2007 to discuss the job offer.
However, it went to Mr Coulson after Mrs Brooks got involved, according to sources in the Tory party and at News International.
She is said to have told Mr Cameron that the post should go to Mr Coulson to strengthen links between the Tories and News International. He had resigned a few months earlier as News of the World editor over the phone-hacking storm.
An individual intimately involved in Mr Coulson’s recruitment said: ‘Rebekah indicated the job should go to Andy. Cameron was told it should be someone acceptable to News International.
'The company was also desperate to find something for Andy after he took the rap when the phone hacking first became an issue. The approach was along the lines of, “If you find something for Andy we will return the favour”.’

More...
Why did Prince's lawyers hide hacking evidence? Firm that advises Royals entangled in row over 'cover up'
Chipping Norton Set's final hurrah: How Elisabeth Murdoch threw decadent priory party with Mandelson, Cameron's cronies and BBC's Robert Peston hours before Dowler scandal broke
Gordon Brown calls in police as row deepens with Murdoch papers
Rebekah Brooks in line for £3.5m pay out as News International slaps gagging orders on chief executives (apart from that inquiry on Tuesday)
Mr Coulson, who was arrested this month over the phone-hacking furore, resigned from the News of the World in January 2007. Weeks later, the paper’s Royal correspondent Clive Goodman was jailed for phone-hacking.

Coulson got the job for Cameron after Brooks got involved
Mr Coulson’s appointment as Mr Cameron’s communications director in July 2007 came after he was close to agreeing to give the post to Welshman Mr Harri, who was then the BBC’s North America business correspondent.
When Mr Coulson moved into Downing Street after last year’s Election, Mr Cameron’s director of strategy Steve Hilton was given confidential information concerning the extent of Mr Coulson’s alleged involvement in phone-hacking. He passed it on to the Prime Minister’s chief of staff, Ed Llewellyn.
Mr Cameron now says the information was not passed on to him.
George Osborne, who was then Shadow Chancellor, also urged Mr Cameron to pick Mr Coulson over Mr Harri. ‘George is fixated with following how Tony Blair did everything but the decisive factor was Rebekah,’ said a Tory aide.
In 2009, the News of the World and The Sun abandoned support for Gordon Brown and switched to Mr Cameron.
Mr Harri went on to be communications director for Mr Cameron’s Tory rival, London Mayor Boris Johnson.
A Tory source said: ‘Lots of people said Andy would do a good job but it is not true that anyone from News International lobbied Mr Cameron to get him the position.’

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2015573/Rebekah-Brooks-vetoed-BBC-man-told-Cameron-No10-job-Andy-Coulson.html#ixzz1SRdTo3Kk
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris Mon 18 Jul - 9:52

Angelique wrote:What is very suspicious is that it has been said on BBC News that RB pressed Cameron to employ Coulson. Wallis was recruited into the Met. by Sir Paul.

To be honest networking like this happens everyday in business without any hidden skullduggery behind it. Admittedly in this case with everything else it looks highly unlikely that it wasn't a deliberate spread of influence.
Chris
Chris
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Number of posts : 1632
Warning :

Registration date : 2010-05-27

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon 18 Jul - 10:02

09:15 – Brooks hires Bell Pottinger chairman to handle media
Bell Pottinger chairman David Wilson has been appointed by Rebekah Brooks following her resignation as News International chief executive and subsequent arrest.
“Wilson has been appointed as Brooks’ official spokesman and will handle press enquires around the ongoing investigation into the phone hacking at the News of the World. Wilson was unavailable for immediate comment.
“Wilson previously worked with the PR team aiding Madeleine McCann’s parents in the first weeks after her abduction,” PR Week reports.

Read more: http://gordonsrepublic.brandrepublic.com/2011/07/18/latest-on-the-news-international-hacking-scandal-3/#ixzz1SRhRcqvk
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Angelique Mon 18 Jul - 10:15

Carmen

Thank you for The Mail article - trouble is that with all these people who have been arrested and bailed in this hacking saga recruiting PR to handle any information is that they bend the truth to their own agenda. One wonders whether we will ever actually hear the truth spoken in plain English.
Angelique
Angelique
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon 18 Jul - 10:54

Angelique wrote:Carmen

Thank you for The Mail article - trouble is that with all these people who have been arrested and bailed in this hacking saga recruiting PR to handle any information is that they bend the truth to their own agenda. One wonders whether we will ever actually hear the truth spoken in plain English.

Interesting, though, that Rebekah has chosen the same person that was sent out (allegedly at request of Mark Warner) to PdL to advise McCanns.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon 18 Jul - 10:57

carmen wrote:
Angelique wrote:Carmen

Interesting, though, that Rebekah has chosen the same person that was sent out (allegedly at request of Mark Warner) to PdL to advise McCanns.

Getting their stories straight, perhaps?
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  widowan Mon 18 Jul - 11:35

Would be nice if something came out along those lines. Because they share the same spokesperson and these London lawyers you can almost tell what they are going to do or say, it's so text book, however I hope that committe tells her spokesperson and lawyer to sit down and STFU and let her answer some questions.

Yes, the Harry Potter guy was supposed to change his name... Iguess RB wanted the REAL Harry POtter but maybe Daniel Radcliff wasn't interested in pracing around her office waving his ... wand ...
widowan
widowan
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Number of posts : 3378
Warning :

Registration date : 2010-08-23

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon 18 Jul - 12:01

It's being confirmed that Brooks will appear before the select committee tomorrow.

An interesting breakdown of the comm:

Meet the Culture Select Committee: who should the Murdochs fear most?
PR Agency Fishburn Hedges has produced this handy cut out and keep bluffers guide to to the MPs on the Culture, Media and Sports Committee who will tomorrow grill Rupert Murdoch, James Murdoch and Rebekah Brooks.
It singles out three MPs to watch: Labour’s redoubtable Tom Watson (Lab), Louise Mensch (Con) and Adrian Sanders (Lib Dem). It gives each MP an “aggression” and a media expertise ranking.

Rebekah Brooks arrested - Page 4 Fishburnhedgesselectcommitteee

Read more: http://gordonsrepublic.brandrepublic.com/2011/07/18/latest-on-the-news-international-hacking-scandal-3/#ixzz1SSBFAwXK
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  devonmum Mon 18 Jul - 12:06

Adrian Sanders was my Mp in Torbay.

He was a great help to me, he is softly spoken, calm, but don't be fooled, he takes no prisoners!!
devonmum
devonmum
Reg Member
Reg Member

Number of posts : 185
Warning :

Registration date : 2009-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon 18 Jul - 12:39

@BREAK

Culture Cttee confirms line up for tmrw: 2.30pm Rupert Murdoch and James Murdoch. At 3.30pm Rebekah Brooks
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  margaret Mon 18 Jul - 12:42

carmen wrote:
@BREAK

Culture Cttee confirms line up for tmrw: 2.30pm Rupert Murdoch and James Murdoch. At 3.30pm Rebekah Brooks

I personally can't wait, though l think they're going to try and NOT answer questions. Rebekah Brooks arrested - Page 4 819946
margaret
margaret
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 4406
Warning :

Registration date : 2009-08-25

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon 18 Jul - 12:42

@jameschappers

Rebekah Brooks appears to be threatening to sue police for wrongful arrest and 'enormous reputational damage'

PS he's the Daily Mail Political Editor
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next