Missing Madeleine
Come join us...there's more inside you cannot see as a guest!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Missing Madeleine
Come join us...there's more inside you cannot see as a guest!
Missing Madeleine
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

supermarket's fake bargains

+2
Lioned
gillyspot
6 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

supermarket's fake bargains Empty supermarket's fake bargains

Post  Badboy Mon 5 Dec - 23:01

SAW A PANORAMA PROGRAMME ABOUT HOW SUPERMARKETS PRETEND ITEMS ARE AT A BARGAIN PRICE WHEN THERE NOT.
PUT UP A WHOLE CHICKEN FROM £4 TO £5,THEN 28 DAYS LATER DROPP THE PRICE TO £4 AGAIN,SAYING ITS A PRICE DROP.
IN SOME CASES THEY HAVE ACTUALLY PUT THE PRICE UP.
Badboy
Badboy
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Male
Number of posts : 8852
Warning :
supermarket's fake bargains Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100supermarket's fake bargains Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2009-08-31

Back to top Go down

supermarket's fake bargains Empty Re: supermarket's fake bargains

Post  AnnaEsse Mon 5 Dec - 23:11

Badboy wrote:SAW A PANORAMA PROGRAMME ABOUT HOW SUPERMARKETS PRETEND ITEMS ARE AT A BARGAIN PRICE WHEN THERE NOT.
PUT UP A WHOLE CHICKEN FROM £4 TO £5,THEN 28 DAYS LATER DROPP THE PRICE TO £4 AGAIN,SAYING ITS A PRICE DROP.
IN SOME CASES THEY HAVE ACTUALLY PUT THE PRICE UP.

I've noticed that BadBoy. I have seen huge displays of items in one supermarket, supposed to be special offers, on items I've actually seen on sale more cheaply just a few weeks before.
AnnaEsse
AnnaEsse
Administrator
Administrator

Female
Number of posts : 18693
Warning :
supermarket's fake bargains Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100supermarket's fake bargains Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2009-09-23

http://frommybigdesk.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Badboy Mon 5 Dec - 23:31

NEVER REALIZED THE SUPERMARKETS DID SUCH THINGS,ALTHOUGH ON WATCHDOG THEY DID HAVE CASES OF SUPERMARKETS GETTING THEIR MATHS WRONG,METHINKS.
Badboy
Badboy
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Male
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  AnnaEsse Tue 6 Dec - 7:33

Badboy wrote:NEVER REALIZED THE SUPERMARKETS DID SUCH THINGS,ALTHOUGH ON WATCHDOG THEY DID HAVE CASES OF SUPERMARKETS GETTING THEIR MATHS WRONG,METHINKS.

They still do get the maths wrong. I always work out whether the larger pack that's presented as a bargain is cheaper than two/three smaller packs and often find out it's not.
AnnaEsse
AnnaEsse
Administrator
Administrator

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  gillyspot Tue 6 Dec - 9:43

I've seen this for years. I always called it the MFI (or DFS these days) syndrome.

Make prices look expensive so you can slash the prices down to where they should have been in the first place but make us mugs think we are getting a bargain.

It does pay to shop around.

Bought some washing powder the other day. The bulk larger packet was on special offer and still worked out dearer than 2 of the smaller ones (and between them they contained more). Work that out if you can.
gillyspot
gillyspot
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Number of posts : 813
Warning :

Registration date : 2011-10-09

Back to top Go down

Post  Panda Tue 6 Dec - 10:15

I watched that programme as well and Tesco seems to be the worst offender with Asda a close second. One item Tesco had reduced was a special offer on 4 cans of Beans but the researcher pointed out that 4 cans bought singly were cheaper.We just have to be more
discerning when we shop.
Panda
Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 30555
Warning :

Registration date : 2010-03-27

Back to top Go down

Post  AnnaEsse Tue 6 Dec - 11:11

Panda wrote:I watched that programme as well and Tesco seems to be the worst offender with Asda a close second. One item Tesco had reduced was a special offer on 4 cans of Beans but the researcher pointed out that 4 cans bought singly were cheaper.We just have to be more
discerning when we shop.

A couple of months ago, Tesco had a huge stack of packs of 4 tins of chopped tomatoes near the entrance. I noticed the price first - over £3 for 4 tins - and thought, that's not cheap. However, it was buy one get one free. To me, that amounted to what I'd expect to pay for tins of chopped tomatoes. A few weeks later, they had the tomatoes at over £3 for 4 tins. Not cheap! And a good way to lull people into the higher price: offer BOGOF at the inflated price, then put the items on sale at the higher price.
AnnaEsse
AnnaEsse
Administrator
Administrator

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  Panda Tue 6 Dec - 11:33

I don"t shop often at Tescos although they are the nearest major store to me. They are very good at dirty tricks dept, having MP"s
on their Board, buying sites for future development but waiting years just to stop any other Supermarket trading near the site, then
selling the site at a huge profit to another developer NOT a Supermarket. It"s not just the 24 hr opening, it"s Tesco Extra a small shop,
and other small outlets.

A few years ago after much haggling with Grimsby Council they were allowed to build a big Supermarket , much against the wishes of
the Council leader. When the Building was finished and before it was opened, the Leader studied the original Plans and discovered
Tesco had increased the size by 20%.!!!!!! He ordered that rather than demolish and rebuild, 20% be boarded up and nothing by sold
in that area.
Panda
Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  Lioned Tue 6 Dec - 20:18

Been going on for years.

What i am more concerned about is the incredible shrinking contents,when the package stays the same size.Now that is deception/fraud as far as i am concerned.They get round it by saying it says the 'weight' on the package etc etc.

I am going to name and shame the lot of them in due course,but for starters i was out at a meal the other night and someone passed around the after eight mints which as you know are in individual little black packets but the wafer chocolate inside is now about 25% less size,now that makes 25% inflation to me !
Lioned
Lioned
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Number of posts : 8554
Warning :

Registration date : 2009-08-30

Back to top Go down

Post  Badboy Tue 6 Dec - 20:22

Lioned wrote:Been going on for years.

What i am more concerned about is the incredible shrinking contents,when the package stays the same size.Now that is deception/fraud as far as i am concerned.They get round it by saying it says the 'weight' on the package etc etc.

I am going to name and shame the lot of them in due course,but for starters i was out at a meal the other night and someone passed around the after eight mints which as you know are in individual little black packets but the wafer chocolate inside is now about 25% less size,now that makes 25% inflation to me !
AFTER NINE,IS THAT WHAT THEY ARE CALLED?
I CAN SEE IT IN MY MIND'S EYE
Badboy
Badboy
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Male
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  Panda Tue 6 Dec - 20:36

I notice several items when I shop that have smaller amounts for the same price, the trouble is we have a surfeit of Supermarkets, far
too many for the size of the Country , even open 24 Hours. On my recent trip to America my Friend took me to her nearest supermarket,
saying, "you wait til you see the size of this". I didn"t like to tell her it was smaller than the 24hr Tescos near me so looked suitably impressed. supermarket's fake bargains 294124
Panda
Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  Lioned Tue 6 Dec - 20:48

Yes we have a 24hrs Tesco a couple of miles away and a Tesco express just down the road.

Have you noticed each year the tins of quality street are missing yet another 'good one' soon they will just be a tin of boring cheap toffees !
Lioned
Lioned
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  Panda Tue 6 Dec - 22:40

Lioned wrote:Yes we have a 24hrs Tesco a couple of miles away and a Tesco express just down the road.

Have you noticed each year the tins of quality street are missing yet another 'good one' soon they will just be a tin of boring cheap toffees !

my local Tesco has the usual tins of Quality Street. Cadbury"s Roses and Heroes all at the "special Price of £5.99, same price as last
year.
Panda
Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  AnnaEsse Tue 6 Dec - 22:44

Panda wrote:
Lioned wrote:Yes we have a 24hrs Tesco a couple of miles away and a Tesco express just down the road.

my local Tesco has the usual tins of Quality Street. Cadbury"s Roses and Heroes all at the "special Price of £5.99, same price as last
year.

Well, get on over to Sainsbury's! They're £3.99 there this week!

ETA: I'm chomping on a few Roses at this very moment!
AnnaEsse
AnnaEsse
Administrator
Administrator

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  Panda Tue 6 Dec - 23:02

AnnaEsse wrote:
Panda wrote:

year.

Sainsbury"s is too far away for me AnnaEsse. Anyway, I"m sorted, a couple of weeks ago I won a "Christmas Stocking " in a freebie game
of Bingo .I had to collect it and it consisted of a Barbie doll in a box with 10 different outfits, a big Winnie the Pooh and a tin of Heroes.
Not having grandchildren I was talking to a couple of the staff and asked if they wanted them and I would keep the Heroes. They said they would pay and one gave me £10 for the Barbie Doll and the other gave me £5 for the Bear, didn"t I do well.!! supermarket's fake bargains 294124
Panda
Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  AnnaEsse Tue 6 Dec - 23:28

Panda wrote:
AnnaEsse wrote:
Panda wrote:

year.

Sainsbury"s is too far away for me AnnaEsse. Anyway, I"m sorted, a couple of weeks ago I won a "Christmas Stocking " in a freebie game
of Bingo .I had to collect it and it consisted of a Barbie doll in a box with 10 different outfits, a big Winnie the Pooh and a tin of Heroes.
Not having grandchildren I was talking to a couple of the staff and asked if they wanted them and I would keep the Heroes. They said they would pay and one gave me £10 for the Barbie Doll and the other gave me £5 for the Bear, didn"t I do well.!! supermarket's fake bargains 294124

I've bought three tins of the Roses. Not particularly because I like the chocs, though I am eating them, but because I wanted the tins for home baked goodies. You pay lots more in the cookware shops for decent cake tins....and they're empty! supermarket's fake bargains 294124
AnnaEsse
AnnaEsse
Administrator
Administrator

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  Panda Tue 6 Dec - 23:56

AnnaEsse wrote:
Panda wrote:
AnnaEsse wrote:
Panda wrote:

year.

I've bought three tins of the Roses. Not particularly because I like the chocs, though I am eating them, but because I wanted the tins for home baked goodies. You pay lots more in the cookware shops for decent cake tins....and they're empty! supermarket's fake bargains 294124

Well AnnaEsse, that"s your excuse for buying three tins of Cadbury"s roses...Iv"e heard it all now.!!! supermarket's fake bargains 25346
Panda
Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  Badboy Thu 8 Dec - 0:08

TESCO'S CUT PRICING APPEAR TO HAVE BEEN A WASTE OF MONEY,HITTING PROFITS.
Badboy
Badboy
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Male
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  AnnaEsse Thu 8 Dec - 7:37

Panda wrote:
AnnaEsse wrote:
Panda wrote:
AnnaEsse wrote:
Panda wrote:

year.

Well AnnaEsse, that"s your excuse for buying three tins of Cadbury"s roses...Iv"e heard it all now.!!! supermarket's fake bargains 25346

It's a good one though! Yesterday I bought a huge tin of M&S Belgian chocolate biscuits at half price because the tin was so useful. Honest! It's for the tin! I will have to martyr myself and eat the biscuits!

supermarket's fake bargains 294124
AnnaEsse
AnnaEsse
Administrator
Administrator

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  Panda Thu 8 Dec - 8:31

Oh AnnaEsse....I do feel sorry for you having to eat all that chocolate to use the empty tin. I have a similar problem having to empty the
salad container of my Fridge which somehow accumulates loads of chocolate which of course I have to eat rather than waste. supermarket's fake bargains 23324
Panda
Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  AnnaEsse Thu 8 Dec - 11:04

Panda wrote:Oh AnnaEsse....I do feel sorry for you having to eat all that chocolate to use the empty tin. I have a similar problem having to empty the
salad container of my Fridge which somehow accumulates loads of chocolate which of course I have to eat rather than waste. supermarket's fake bargains 23324

Waste not, want not, Panda. You and I are doing our bit! supermarket's fake bargains 294124
AnnaEsse
AnnaEsse
Administrator
Administrator

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  Badboy Fri 9 Dec - 23:03

SOMEONE WAS SAYING THAT TESCO WERE SELLING BACON BITS FOR 77P,BUT LATER WERE SOLD FOR 99P,SAID NEXT TO IT PRICE DROP.
Badboy
Badboy
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Male
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  Panda Fri 9 Dec - 23:14

Badboy wrote:SOMEONE WAS SAYING THAT TESCO WERE SELLING BACON BITS FOR 77P,BUT LATER WERE SOLD FOR 99P,SAID NEXT TO IT PRICE DROP.

Hi Badboy, Tesco profits have fallen for the fourth quarter in a row and all the Supermarkets are trying to win Customers who are feeling the pinch financially. If their offers were genuine shoppers would buy and be loyal but they are fooling no-one and only thinking of their profit margins on this season of Goodwill.
Panda
Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  Lioned Fri 9 Dec - 23:15

I got three boxes of 'Buds' for 10 squid each at Waitrose and i'm happy with that.
Lioned
Lioned
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  Badboy Fri 9 Dec - 23:21

Lioned wrote:I got three boxes of 'Buds' for 10 squid each at Waitrose and i'm happy with that.
PROFITS AT WAITROSE ARE SHARED BETWEEN PARTNERS.
Badboy
Badboy
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Male
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next