Missing Madeleine
Come join us...there's more inside you cannot see as a guest!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Missing Madeleine
Come join us...there's more inside you cannot see as a guest!
Missing Madeleine
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Slog: Does PR spokesman Clarence Mitchell know more than he’s letting on?

+4
chrissie1
pennylane
AnnaEsse
margaret
8 posters

Go down

The Slog:  Does PR spokesman Clarence Mitchell know more than he’s letting on? Empty The Slog: Does PR spokesman Clarence Mitchell know more than he’s letting on?

Post  margaret Mon 13 Feb - 19:12

Just found this blog, it's quite long with the comments but some very interesting points made.

http://hat4uk.wordpress.com/2011/05/16/hackgate-day-120-the-mccanns-spokesman-andy-coulson-david-cameron-and-13-million-of-public-money/

May 16th 2011

The Slog:  Does PR spokesman Clarence Mitchell know more than he’s letting on? Clarencesmile

The Slog finds himself a tad mystified this morning.

Puzzle One: the Murdoch Sun has been publicising Gerry and Kate McCann’s book about their missing daughter Madeleine. This despite the fact that in January, their press agent Clarence Mitchell told the media he suspected both his and their phones had been hacked. So in the light of more recent Soham parent revelations about Newscorp allegedly hacking them in their hour of need, you’d have thought Gerry, Kate and Clarence might have concluded the Dirty Digger was behind it.

Why, then, sign a book and publicity deal with Newscorp?

Puzzle Two: as a result of the McCanns’ open letter to the Prime Minister in the Sun – pleading for the case to be reopened – Call me Dave I’m all heart Cameron leaned on Theresa May to cough up the £13 million required to do so; and she, being a lesser flea, rang some littler fleas in the Met to order them forthwith strongly advise that they do the same. Which they are now doing.

Having initially wondered why Dave would bother (apart from the chance of some lachrymose image repairs) I was then surprised to see the Prime Minister back-tracking over the last two days….insisting he hadn’t leaned on anyone, but merely ‘suggested’ they ‘might’ reopen the case. I was especially taken aback, because I know – categorically – that this is bollocks. Not only is it bollocks, Mr Cameron himself personally assured Gerry and Kate (they say) that the investigation “will come out of Home Office, not Police funds”. Not ‘might’ if it happens – will, when it does. This is an odd tense to use if you’re only doing the suggesting thing.

Of course, there’s more to this than money. The IoS had an intriguing piece yesterday, in which Met Police Authority bigwig Jenny Jones was quoted as saying, “The police should not take this case up in this way. It is ludicrous. This could take years and will cost millions. It is very unusual for police to step in like this and it is not an appropriate use of police resources. The Government is closing down the Forensic Science Service because there are not enough funds. This is a crucial part of police work. Although it is tragic and I feel for the McCanns, how can the Prime Minister justify spending millions of pounds on one case?”

How indeed? Why, I’m asking myself, do something so daft…even if you are David Cameron?

After digging around a little, The Slog has stumbled upon some people and events connected to this extraordinary business…connections that seem to make some potential motives clearer – and other bits considerably murkier.

Let’s start from the beginning.

I was informed last Saturday by media contacts that Clarence Mitchell says the McCann phones have been given the ‘all clear’ vis a vis hacking: no naughty listening in after all, Newscorp found not guilty. This is a first. I must also express my entirely personal opinion that such a finding seems unlikely given Murdoch’s track record….but you never know.

Curiously, Mr Mitchell doesn’t think his phone is tickerty-boo: he told my media source he was still in discussions with the Met. Like another man we know well from the recent past, Clarence is in danger of becoming the story. Hold that thought.

He does seem to be centrally involved in this odd affair, but then Clarence Mitchell’s history makes him a natural for the job. Although in a Labour-spin role at the COI’s Media Monitoring Unit for a brief period some five years ago, in May 2007 he was suddenly seconded to the Foreign Office to work as the McCanns’ chief PR man. I rang a few people over the weekend. Nobody seems to know why that happened – but he obviously did a good job of impressing the McCanns, because in September 2007, he resigned from the civil service to become the McCanns’ full-time spokesman – allegedly on a substantial five-figure salary.

He is still doing that job, but soon afterwards, Clarence started work at the hugely influential PR agency, Freud Communications. Matthew Freud, the owner, is married to Elisabeth Murdoch, the Digger’s favourite offspring. A few months back, Elisabeth trousered a very large sum by flogging her own production venture back to Dad. In October 2008, Freud gave David Cameron some freebie air tickets to fly to Elisabeth’s birthday party on the Digger’s yacht moored off the Greek coast.

Mitchell was obviously making all the right connections to enhance his career. On 4th March 2010, the Tories issued this press release: ‘The Conservative Party has signed up Clarence Mitchell, best-known as spokesman for Madeleine McCann’s parents, as the head of media monitoring for its general election campaign’.

In this job, Clarence worked as second-in-command to…….Andy Coulson. Andy Coulson resigned just one day after Mitchell ‘briefed’ the British media about his mobile phone being hacked.

The good news is that how the open-letter-caring-Cameron bollocks now becomes easier to understand. Mitchell knows all the major players and has all the right contacts. He’d be perfect, in fact – thinking purely hypothetically of course – as the coordination guy for a McCanns project to extract lots of publicity and money from Newscorp via son-in-law Matt Freud, and £13 million of taxpayers’ money from Murdoch’s chum David Cameron. Given that Liz Murdoch is being quietly lined up to run the newly acquired BSkyB in place of potentially toxic Hackgate witness James Murdoch, knowing her hubby would also put Clarence in good shape for a presenter’s job there one day. (He used to do that very thing for BBC24, as it then was…until he fell asleep while due to be on air, and hurriedly left). The Slog:  Does PR spokesman Clarence Mitchell know more than he’s letting on? 23324

The bad news is that, as with most things Murdochio, several unknowns and dark alleys remain.

While this web of chums is partly just another example of The Cameron Club – with all the usual list of suspects present – The Slog is not as yet in a position to work out the significance (if any) of Mitchell’s phone hack stories….and why his chosen release date was so perfectly synchronised with Honest Andy Coulson’s Downing Street departure. I’m still very confused about which event was the chicken, and which the egg – if indeed any hatching was involved at all.

However, journalists here and there might speculate in order to accumulate still more evidence, circumstantial or otherwise. Some might ask whether a high-profile antipodean family is perhaps in Mr Mitchell’s debt in some way. Others with even more suspicious minds might even wonder if Clarence knows where some of the Hackgate bodies are buried….and thus has Newscorp at a disadvantage. And experienced conspiracy theorists might even speculate that the Prime Minister himself has little choice, under the circumstances, than to go along with the coughing up of £13 million, however unpopular that might be.

Whatever the truth or otherwise of this chain of events might be, the fact is that Mr Mitchell has extracted a lucrative deal from Rupert Murdoch, and a police investigation for the sole use of Gerry and Kate McCann. So he really has done a stunning job for his clients.

What’s more, he seems to have done it for nothing. The McCanns and Mitchell have said on the record that the ‘Helping to Find Madeleine Fund’ did not pay any part of his salary, even when he had no other job. They say that he was paid by ‘an anonymous backer’. But Clarence Mitchell won’t say who that backer is, nor why that backer is giving him so much support. And he has changed his mind on at least one occasion about whether there was a backer at all.

The $64 million question has to be, can we trust what Clarence Mitchell says? Well, this quote from Carlos Anjos, head of the Portuguese police professional association, who had dealings with Clarence Mitchell, is brief and to the point: “He lies with as many teeth as he has in his mouth”.

There’s much to ponder upon here; but in the meantime, I offer this tantalising little postscript: Mitchell also reported extensively on the murder by Ian Huntley of Soham girls Jessica Chapman and Holly Wells. Newscorp now stands accused of hacking the parents. I’d love to ask Clarence what he knows about that alleged hacking….and others. But despite repeated attempts over the last 48 hours to raise Clarence Mitchell on his mobile, he has not returned The Slog’s calls.

Those with sharper spades than mine may wish to dig further. In the meantime, if anything further comes to light, Sloggers will be the first to know.
margaret
margaret
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 4406
Warning :
The Slog:  Does PR spokesman Clarence Mitchell know more than he’s letting on? Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100The Slog:  Does PR spokesman Clarence Mitchell know more than he’s letting on? Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2009-08-25

Back to top Go down

The Slog:  Does PR spokesman Clarence Mitchell know more than he’s letting on? Empty Re: The Slog: Does PR spokesman Clarence Mitchell know more than he’s letting on?

Post  margaret Mon 13 Feb - 19:14

The first comment:

LAWYERS BREAK THE LAW
May 16, 2011 at 8:33 am

I have been blogging about a group of journalists who have been going round all the “historic” child abuse cases and discrediting them, Bob Woffingden (who used to work for the New Musical Express) was one of them, and I notice he is in the Mail Online furiously backpeddling on his previous articles that Jeremy Bamber was innocent of murder. Woffingden, David Rose and Richard Webster all met David Cameron in a select committee meeting to try to stop what they called “police trawling” in historic child abuse cases. Webster belongs to an organisation called the British False Memory Society which was founded by an American paedophile called Ralph Underwager. Perhaps David Cameron really has started to understand what has been going on, and has genuine reasons for wanting the Madelaine McCann case reopened? Perhaps I am an old fool for thinking this, but he is a human being as well as a politician!

margaret
margaret
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 4406
Warning :
The Slog:  Does PR spokesman Clarence Mitchell know more than he’s letting on? Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100The Slog:  Does PR spokesman Clarence Mitchell know more than he’s letting on? Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2009-08-25

Back to top Go down

The Slog:  Does PR spokesman Clarence Mitchell know more than he’s letting on? Empty Re: The Slog: Does PR spokesman Clarence Mitchell know more than he’s letting on?

Post  Guest Mon 13 Feb - 19:23

"Whatever the truth or otherwise of this chain of events might be, the fact is that Mr Mitchell has extracted a lucrative deal from Rupert Murdoch, and a police investigation for the sole use of Gerry and Kate McCann. So he really has done a stunning job for his clients."

Not a very satisfactory blog ............ far too tenuous.

In particular, the bit I quote is just plain wrong.

I have no doubt that Healy, McCann & Mitchell had their bluff called when Dave authorised the Review.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Lillyofthevalley Mon 13 Feb - 19:26

That gorgeous picture Clarence, its priceless The Slog:  Does PR spokesman Clarence Mitchell know more than he’s letting on? 613255 The Slog:  Does PR spokesman Clarence Mitchell know more than he’s letting on? 23324 The Slog:  Does PR spokesman Clarence Mitchell know more than he’s letting on? 613255 The Slog:  Does PR spokesman Clarence Mitchell know more than he’s letting on? 23324 The Slog:  Does PR spokesman Clarence Mitchell know more than he’s letting on? 613255
Lillyofthevalley
Lillyofthevalley
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Number of posts : 1552
Warning :

Registration date : 2009-08-20

Back to top Go down

Post  AnnaEsse Mon 13 Feb - 19:41

Lillyofthevalley wrote:That gorgeous picture Clarence, its priceless The Slog:  Does PR spokesman Clarence Mitchell know more than he’s letting on? 613255 The Slog:  Does PR spokesman Clarence Mitchell know more than he’s letting on? 23324 The Slog:  Does PR spokesman Clarence Mitchell know more than he’s letting on? 613255 The Slog:  Does PR spokesman Clarence Mitchell know more than he’s letting on? 23324 The Slog:  Does PR spokesman Clarence Mitchell know more than he’s letting on? 613255

It looks like a low flying bird has dropped some nesting material on his head! The Slog:  Does PR spokesman Clarence Mitchell know more than he’s letting on? 23324
AnnaEsse
AnnaEsse
Administrator
Administrator

Female
Number of posts : 18693
Warning :

Registration date : 2009-09-23

http://frommybigdesk.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Lillyofthevalley Mon 13 Feb - 20:32

AnnaEsse wrote:
Lillyofthevalley wrote:That gorgeous picture Clarence, its priceless The Slog:  Does PR spokesman Clarence Mitchell know more than he’s letting on? 613255 The Slog:  Does PR spokesman Clarence Mitchell know more than he’s letting on? 23324 The Slog:  Does PR spokesman Clarence Mitchell know more than he’s letting on? 613255 The Slog:  Does PR spokesman Clarence Mitchell know more than he’s letting on? 23324 The Slog:  Does PR spokesman Clarence Mitchell know more than he’s letting on? 613255

It looks like a low flying bird has dropped some nesting material on his head! The Slog:  Does PR spokesman Clarence Mitchell know more than he’s letting on? 23324

Who has blown his face up with a foot pump The Slog:  Does PR spokesman Clarence Mitchell know more than he’s letting on? 234512
Lillyofthevalley
Lillyofthevalley
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  pennylane Mon 13 Feb - 20:46

Lillyofthevalley wrote:
AnnaEsse wrote:

Who has blown his face up with a foot pump The Slog:  Does PR spokesman Clarence Mitchell know more than he’s letting on? 234512

Good grief...... perhaps he should see a doctor! The Slog:  Does PR spokesman Clarence Mitchell know more than he’s letting on? 23324
pennylane
pennylane
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Number of posts : 5353
Warning :

Registration date : 2010-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post  NoStone Mon 13 Feb - 20:59

Jumping in and saying the Mc's phones had been hacked without thinking things through might have been ill advised.

How did anyone who's phone had been hacked - know their phones had been hacked?? It was obvious in the Dowler's case but in other instances those that had been hacked seem to rely on the fact that there was no other way that a 3rd party could have got a hold of the information that eventually appeared in the press.

So did Kate & Gerry have voice mail messages deleted? If so which ones and what did they say? Or was information revealed in the press that was privvy only to private voicemails? If so what did they say? Given that Kate was coy about Gerry sending text messages, he just did'nt do it did he??

- and the whole issue of their phone records being fogged in terms of what the police may or may not have on file as evidence or have access to -

- perhaps in hiindsight - it would be best to keep the lid on this particular Pandora's Box, deny any hacking and hope that no one goes digging in that particular part of the garden. Even the most unscupulous of hackers could not bring themselves anywhere near hacking into this poor couples phone accounts could they?? After all - we know from Leveson that the press had been beastly enough to the Mc's without hacking into their phones now dont we!!????
NoStone
NoStone
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Male
Number of posts : 620
Warning :

Registration date : 2011-09-25

Back to top Go down

Post  chrissie1 Mon 13 Feb - 21:40

If i were a reporter they would be at the top of my list of phones to hack. I just cannot believe they were not
chrissie1
chrissie1
Reg Member
Reg Member

Female
Number of posts : 203
Warning :

Registration date : 2011-10-12

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldartform Mon 13 Feb - 23:16

chrissie1 wrote:If i were a reporter they would be at the top of my list of phones to hack. I just cannot believe they were not

This is what I thought but was advised in the `Levson` thread that hacking probably stopped after Mulcaire was arrested in early 2007. Not being in the journalistic world, I wouldn`t really know if it would frighten the hackers enough not to risk hacking the Mcs.

Oldartform
Oldartform
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Number of posts : 625
Warning :

Registration date : 2011-06-04

Back to top Go down

Post  Loopdaloop Tue 14 Feb - 2:14

NoStone wrote:Jumping in and saying the Mc's phones had been hacked without thinking things through might have been ill advised.

How did anyone who's phone had been hacked - know their phones had been hacked?? It was obvious in the Dowler's case but in other instances those that had been hacked seem to rely on the fact that there was no other way that a 3rd party could have got a hold of the information that eventually appeared in the press.

So did Kate & Gerry have voice mail messages deleted? If so which ones and what did they say? Or was information revealed in the press that was privvy only to private voicemails? If so what did they say? Given that Kate was coy about Gerry sending text messages, he just did'nt do it did he??

- and the whole issue of their phone records being fogged in terms of what the police may or may not have on file as evidence or have access to -

- perhaps in hiindsight - it would be best to keep the lid on this particular Pandora's Box, deny any hacking and hope that no one goes digging in that particular part of the garden. Even the most unscupulous of hackers could not bring themselves anywhere near hacking into this poor couples phone accounts could they?? After all - we know from Leveson that the press had been beastly enough to the Mc's without hacking into their phones now dont we!!????

It is quite evident that the Mccann's were prime fodder to have their phones hacked.
The Mccann's obviously felt that their phones got hacked,
however the evidence available says they didn't.

There is an error somewhere.

Part of me suspects that the phones which possibly got hacked were phones which the Mccann's possibly wanted to keep secret...
They were are bought new phones shortly after the 'incident'.
Loopdaloop
Loopdaloop
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Number of posts : 815
Warning :

Registration date : 2010-02-11

Back to top Go down

Post  Lillyofthevalley Tue 14 Feb - 9:13

NoStone wrote:Jumping in and saying the Mc's phones had been hacked without thinking things through might have been ill advised.

I think Clarry jumping in at the very beginning with they "may" have had their phones hacked, was a big mistake, thats why they were made to appear in the first week of the leveson inquiry, this was the final nail in their coffin regarding the Papers imo, its all about timing now when the vultures Papers TURN!!
Lillyofthevalley
Lillyofthevalley
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  NoStone Tue 14 Feb - 9:23

Lillyofthevalley wrote:

I think Clarry jumping in at the very beginning with they "may" have had their phones hacked, was a big mistake, thats why they were made to appear in the first week of the leveson inquiry, this was the final nail in their coffin regarding the Papers imo, its all about timing now when the vultures Papers TURN!!

The Mc's would have been very noticable for thier abscence had they not appeared at all at Leveson - they being victims of every dirty trick in the book from attempts to frame them, do deals with them etc etc. So they had to appear on a much flimsier ticket than the Dowlers and claim that it was a media generated frenzy that led to fingers pointing at them - arguments that we know - are easily dismantled!
NoStone
NoStone
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Male
Number of posts : 620
Warning :

Registration date : 2011-09-25

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down