Missing Madeleine
Come join us...there's more inside you cannot see as a guest!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Missing Madeleine
Come join us...there's more inside you cannot see as a guest!
Missing Madeleine
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HEAT WAVE TO GET WORSE NEXT WEEK

+3
Lioned
AnnaEsse
cherry1
7 posters

Go down

HEAT WAVE TO GET WORSE NEXT WEEK Empty HEAT WAVE TO GET WORSE NEXT WEEK

Post  Badboy Sat 20 Jul - 22:44

A NEIGHBOUR INFORMED ME THAT AMBULANCES HAVE BEEN CALLED TO A TOWER BLOCK DOWN THE ROAD POPULATED BY THE ELDERLY SEVERAL TIMES,ONE ELDERLY PERSON WAS ON THE PAVEMENTDURING THE WEEK.

HEAT PREDICTED TO GET WORSE NEXT WEEK,I MYSELF FEEL A LITTLE FUNNY AT THE MOMENT,I AM DRINKING COLD APPLE TANGO.
I SEE BIG BOTTLES OF WATER IN TESCO HAVE BEEN SELLING WELL.

BE CAREFUL IN THIS HEAT,EVERYONE.
Badboy
Badboy
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Male
Number of posts : 8852
Warning :
HEAT WAVE TO GET WORSE NEXT WEEK Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100HEAT WAVE TO GET WORSE NEXT WEEK Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2009-08-31

Back to top Go down

HEAT WAVE TO GET WORSE NEXT WEEK Empty Re: HEAT WAVE TO GET WORSE NEXT WEEK

Post  Guest Sat 20 Jul - 23:38

I'm seriously allergic to the heat but cope when it's only the odd day here and there - which is usually the case with the British summer!

I'm having great difficulty with it now but am thankful that, as I'm retired, my time is my own and I can stay in when the heat's at its worst and go shopping late in the day.

My son works in a sauna!!!!
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  cherry1 Sun 21 Jul - 10:25

You need to get a cobber, great for keeping your temperature down and stop you over heating.
cherry1
cherry1
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 6529
Warning :
HEAT WAVE TO GET WORSE NEXT WEEK Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100HEAT WAVE TO GET WORSE NEXT WEEK Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2012-02-03

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun 21 Jul - 10:29

I know "cobber" only as meaning a friend; is there some other meaning?

Believe me, I'm like a bear with a sore head when I'm hot - friends keep well away!
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Panda Sun 21 Jul - 11:48

UK cools down for a day as storm clouds gather
Britain experienced the cool before the storm on Saturday as temperatures began to dip for the first time in a fortnight, bringing temporary relief from the heatwave gripping the country.

The heatwave is expected to resume from Monday with temperatures as high as 91.4F (33C) Photo: Velar Grant/Demotix/Corbis
By Robert Mendick, Chief reporter
5:48PM BST 20 Jul 2013
46 Comments
Forecasters said the UK is due to warm up again from Monday – but this time, the predictions were accompanied by warnings of more humid weather, thunderstorms and possible flooding on the way.

The heatwave is expected to continue through the week with temperatures tomorrow as high as 91.4F (33C). By Tuesday the heatwave will become the longest since the summer of 1976.

Brendan Jones, from forecasters MeteoGroup, said: “From Monday to Wednesday it will be hot, and it is expected to be humid as well, which has not been the case so far.”

He added: “We should look out for some lively weather, any time between Monday night and Wednesday. Some places are going to be seeing very active thunderstorms indeed, with a lot of lightning, and the possibility of flooding in a few places.”

Related Articles
Grass fires rage in East London
19 Jul 2013
School’s out, say teachers, if it’s over 78F
19 Jul 2013
Temperature set to rise next week
19 Jul 2013

The east of England was largely given a day off from the heatwave on Saturday with cloudy skies and temperatures dropping to as low as 66F (19C). The west of the country was still basking in sunshine.

The hot weather has taken its toll on the UK in recent days, with grass fires in London, mountain blazes in the Welsh valleys and forest fires in Fife, Scotland. The Met Office has warned of an “elevated risk” of grass fires following days of blazing hot weather and no rain.

The heatwave is believed to have caused up to 760 premature deaths already, and the British Red Cross has opened two call centres in Norwich and Ipswich to check on the welfare of hundreds of elderly and vulnerable people in the region.

Level three heatwave health warnings have been issued for western parts of the country. The South East, East Midlands, Yorkshire and the Humber are at a lower level two. The North East and East remain at level one.

Naturalists have urged the public to help wildlife struggling in the conditions. Conservationists suggested leaving out snacks such as dog food or mealworms for hedgehogs. The creatures normally feed on a diet of slugs, snails and worms but these are in short supply in the current conditions. Experts are also urging householders to leave out bowls or buckets of water for house sparrows, who tend not to fly too far from their nests in search for food and drink.

In Blackpool, the heat on Friday had got to two young women who arrived at the magistrates court for a hearing. The women were refused entry because they were wearing only bikinis – not considered appropriate attire for a court.

“Their dress option was inappropriate despite the heatwave,” said a court spokesman. The women, both in their 20s, were turned away by security staff at the entrance and ordered to return more suitably dressed.

Council workers in Plymouth have also been given a dressing down for turning up to work in flip-flops. Plymouth City Council sent a 'polite reminder’ to staff requesting that they “shouldn’t be showing too much flesh and flip flops are a definite no”.

Drivers were being warned to stay calm during the summer getaway amid expectations of traffic chaos in the sweltering heat.

State schools break up for the summer this week with predictions that the heatwave will worsen the normal holiday congestion.

The Highways Agency said the number of cars on motorways and trunk roads surged last weekend and advised drivers to be prepared for delays ahead.

A spokesman said motorists should expect heavy traffic on the key holiday getaway routes.

These include the M5 from the Midlands to the south west and the M3/A303 from London to the West Country, the M6 through Lancashire to the coast and Lake District, routes from London to the south coast and motorways heading for the Channel ports.

“The types of journeys and the location of congestion hot spots for the holiday getaway are quite different from everyday road use,” said Steve Crosthwaite, head of the Agency’s National Traffic Operations Centre.

“What makes such a difference is so many families heading off in the same direction at the same time. Key holiday routes will get very busy
Panda
Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 30555
Warning :

Registration date : 2010-03-27

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun 21 Jul - 13:03

That article mentions the heat wave of 1976 - heaven help us all if we ever have another one like that! I've never forgotten it because, though my problems with heat weren't as severe then as they are now, I was living in a crumbling dump of a rented property, shared with flatmates from hell.

I was saved from going completely mad when, in the middle of the heat wave, while I was away on a course for a few days, the other tenants absconded without paying the rent and leaving the communal areas looking as if a bomb had hit them.

Thankfully I only had the heat to contend with after that.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Panda Sun 21 Jul - 13:10

Not Born Yesterday wrote:That article mentions the heat wave of 1976 - heaven help us all if we ever have another one like that! I've never forgotten it because, though my problems with heat weren't as severe then as they are now, I was living in a crumbling dump of a rented property, shared with flatmates from hell.

I was saved from going completely mad when, in the middle of the heat wave, while I was away on a course for a few days, the other tenants absconded without paying the rent and leaving the communal areas looking as if a bomb had hit them.

I was living in Jersey in 1976 Beaches all around, so i don't remember any real discomfort. Not to worry though NBY, it is meant to be cooler within the next few days.
Panda
Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  AnnaEsse Sun 21 Jul - 13:44

Panda wrote:
Not Born Yesterday wrote:That article mentions the heat wave of 1976 - heaven help us all if we ever have another one like that! I've never forgotten it because, though my problems with heat weren't as severe then as they are now, I was living in a crumbling dump of a rented property, shared with flatmates from hell.

I was living in Jersey in 1976 Beaches all around, so i don't remember any real discomfort. Not to worry though NBY, it is meant to be cooler within the next few days.

We spent a month in Jersey in 1976 and it was great to feel that breeze there is all the time. My aunt was working at St Saviour's as Day Superintendent and she had a great apartment to go with the job. So, we stayed there and had a great time.
AnnaEsse
AnnaEsse
Administrator
Administrator

Female
Number of posts : 18693
Warning :

Registration date : 2009-09-23

http://frommybigdesk.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Panda Sun 21 Jul - 14:10

AnnaEsse wrote:
Panda wrote:

We spent a month in Jersey in 1976 and it was great to feel that breeze there is all the time. My aunt was working at St Saviour's as Day Superintendent and she had a great apartment to go with the job. So, we stayed there and had a great time.

I'll be going there in the next few weeks to see my Sons and many Friends AnnaEsse, been trying to get a cheap flight , £180 for an Hour's flight!!!! that's with flybe who I flew with a couple of times, both times there was a diversion to Exeter and a 5 hour wait there . I will check nearer the date and probably have to fly from Bristol . Jersey is one of those earmarked for investigation of "Off shore" accounts , I'll find out more when I see my Friends in the Banking business.
Panda
Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  Badboy Sun 21 Jul - 16:40

SOME ROADS HAVE MELTED.
Badboy
Badboy
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Male
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  Lioned Sun 21 Jul - 17:59

The gritter lorrys are out.
Lioned
Lioned
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Number of posts : 8554
Warning :

Registration date : 2009-08-30

Back to top Go down

Post  wjk Sun 21 Jul - 19:05

I've just heard a 'weather expert' on Sky saying there could be hail stone in the next few days!!
AND my damn fridge has decided to break this afternoon!!
I'm not happy today!! HEAT WAVE TO GET WORSE NEXT WEEK 371436 
wjk
wjk
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 7815
Warning :

Registration date : 2009-08-20

Back to top Go down

Post  Badboy Fri 26 Jul - 19:52

I heard from a carer THAT LOCAL SHOPS HAVE BEEN RUNNING OUT OF FANS ETC,FANS LIKE MY JOHN LEWIS FAN
ANOTHER CARER SAYS HER PARTNER,A POLICEMAN KNOWS OF 2 DEATHS FROM THE HEAT
Badboy
Badboy
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Male
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  Badboy Wed 31 Jul - 23:58

SET TO GET WORSE TOMORROW
Badboy
Badboy
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Male
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  Krisy22 Thu 1 Aug - 9:31

Got soaked yesterday ...came home like a drowned rat from walking the dog...massive storm.HEAT WAVE TO GET WORSE NEXT WEEK 294124 
Hoping for some very hot weather to dry out my boots...HEAT WAVE TO GET WORSE NEXT WEEK 294124 
Krisy22
Krisy22
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 3382
Warning :

Registration date : 2008-07-27

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu 1 Aug - 9:33

I think there will be enough heat today for your boots to be burnt to a frazzle.

I won't be moving far from my darkened room today, that's for sure. The expected temperature is 31 degrees.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  wjk Thu 1 Aug - 11:55

Krisy22 wrote:Got soaked yesterday ...came home like a drowned rat from walking the dog...massive storm.HEAT WAVE TO GET WORSE NEXT WEEK 294124 
Hoping for some very hot weather to dry out my boots...HEAT WAVE TO GET WORSE NEXT WEEK 294124 

Me too!
It was lovely HEAT WAVE TO GET WORSE NEXT WEEK 294124 
wjk
wjk
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 7815
Warning :

Registration date : 2009-08-20

Back to top Go down

Post  Badboy Sat 3 Aug - 18:14

I WAS TOLD BY MY CARER THAT HER HUSBAND WENT TO MORRISONS AT 10.30 IN MORNING TO BUY BBQ FOOD,SHELVES WITH BBQ FOOD ON THEM WERE EMPTY/CLEANED OUT.
SHE SUPPORTED SOMEONE TO BUY FANS,ALL SHOPS WENT INTO HAD NONE,ONE SHOP SAID 20 ARRIVED YESTERDAY,NONE LEFT BY END OF DAY.
SOMEONE MUST BE MAKING PROFITS,BIG PROFITS:Beach: HEAT WAVE TO GET WORSE NEXT WEEK 83637 HEAT WAVE TO GET WORSE NEXT WEEK 83637 HEAT WAVE TO GET WORSE NEXT WEEK 83637 HEAT WAVE TO GET WORSE NEXT WEEK 83637 HEAT WAVE TO GET WORSE NEXT WEEK 83637 HEAT WAVE TO GET WORSE NEXT WEEK 83637 HEAT WAVE TO GET WORSE NEXT WEEK 83637 HEAT WAVE TO GET WORSE NEXT WEEK 83637 HEAT WAVE TO GET WORSE NEXT WEEK 83637 HEAT WAVE TO GET WORSE NEXT WEEK 83637 HEAT WAVE TO GET WORSE NEXT WEEK 83637 HEAT WAVE TO GET WORSE NEXT WEEK 83637 HEAT WAVE TO GET WORSE NEXT WEEK 83637 HEAT WAVE TO GET WORSE NEXT WEEK 83637 HEAT WAVE TO GET WORSE NEXT WEEK 83637 HEAT WAVE TO GET WORSE NEXT WEEK 83637 
Badboy
Badboy
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Male
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  Panda Sun 4 Aug - 6:20

You can't blame them Badboy, look at all the Umbrellas and Wellingtons sold in the rainy season which lasted so long.HEAT WAVE TO GET WORSE NEXT WEEK 25346 
Panda
Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down