Missing Madeleine
Come join us...there's more inside you cannot see as a guest!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Missing Madeleine
Come join us...there's more inside you cannot see as a guest!
Missing Madeleine
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I wonder why the Trial date has not been set

+13
mossman
widowan
MaryB
interested
frencheuropean
Karen
wjk
jassi
matthew
jeanmonroe
weissnicht
Lioned
almostgothic
17 posters

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

I wonder why the Trial date has not been set Empty I wonder why the Trial date has not been set

Post  Panda Mon 24 Feb - 10:57

I was browsing mccannfiles looking to see if 25th Feb. had been mentioned as the Trial date. The Poster did say it was on twitter and then said it was a joke.

This is the closing day of the Trial :=

The gathering of evidence has concluded.

The Judge proposes that the last session with the final allegations [closing arguments] and statements from the parties be fixed for the 18 December but changes this to 7 January 2014 which is the first date when all parties will be available.'

After 6 weeks of silence, no word on a Trial Date. or explanation for the delay, I do believe it has something to do with the investigation.
Panda
Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 30555
Warning :
I wonder why the Trial date has not been set Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100I wonder why the Trial date has not been set Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2010-03-27

Back to top Go down

I wonder why the Trial date has not been set Empty Re: I wonder why the Trial date has not been set

Post  frencheuropean Mon 24 Feb - 11:04

No date if fixed by the juge probably because different requests are made and it's difficult for this reason to find an appropriate date at the moment.

Last edited by frencheuropean on Mon 24 Feb - 11:11; edited 1 time in total
frencheuropean
frencheuropean
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Number of posts : 1203
Warning :
I wonder why the Trial date has not been set Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100I wonder why the Trial date has not been set Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2009-11-02

Back to top Go down

I wonder why the Trial date has not been set Empty Re: I wonder why the Trial date has not been set

Post  Lioned Mon 24 Feb - 11:11

Lioned
Lioned
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Number of posts : 8554
Warning :

Registration date : 2009-08-30

Back to top Go down

Post  Panda Mon 24 Feb - 11:19

frencheuropean wrote:No date if fixed by the juge probably because different requests are made and it's difficult for this reason to find an appropriate date at the moment.

Sorry, I don't buy that frenchperson. Any Trial in most Countries have dates prepared where Lawyers and witnesses , judges etc are able to appear.
Panda
Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  Panda Mon 24 Feb - 11:23

Thanks Lioned, , just had a look, Mods, can you join this thread to the other one or close it??? Merci.
Panda
Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  frencheuropean Mon 24 Feb - 11:23

Panda wrote

"frencheuropean wrote:No date if fixed by the juge probably because different requests are made and it's difficult for this reason to find an appropriate date at the moment.

Sorry, I don't buy that frenchperson. Any Trial in most Countries have dates prepared where Lawyers and witnesses , judges etc are able to appear."

.....................................................................................................................................................................

It's what the Courthouse in Portugal contacted by phone says. Up to you not to believe it.
frencheuropean
frencheuropean
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  Panda Mon 24 Feb - 11:26

frencheuropean wrote:It's what the Courthouse in Portugal contacted by phone says. Up to you not to believe it.

As far as the report on this case goes, all the witnesses had been called and it was a question of summing up and the Judge making a decision.
Panda
Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  frencheuropean Mon 24 Feb - 11:30

Delays were given to solve the WOC probleme et may be, in the meantime, other requests were made that the juge couldn't refuse.Just a guess for the last part.
frencheuropean
frencheuropean
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  almostgothic Mon 24 Feb - 11:36

There might be a logistical complication here.
There are multiple defendants with multiple lawyers.
The lawyers will have other cases to deal with- already booked.
The judge herself may be in the same position.
It might just be a case of trying to get all the participants in the same courtroom on the same day.
almostgothic
almostgothic
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Number of posts : 2945
Warning :

Registration date : 2011-03-18

Back to top Go down

Post  Panda Mon 24 Feb - 11:50

'The gathering of evidence has concluded.

The Judge proposes that the last session with the final allegations [closing arguments] and statements from the parties be fixed for the 18 December but changes this to 7 January 2014 which is the first date when all parties will be available.'

This is from the Court transcripts. As far as we know, there were only two Lawyers, one for Amaral and Duarte for the McCanns.  As you can see , there was only 20  days needed to get all parties together.....now , it is over 42 days with no date fixed. I think it has something to do with the investigation , but that is just my opinion.
Any replies, could you post them on the thread Lioned mentioned , the Mods can then close this thread....thanks.
Panda
Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  MaryB Mon 24 Feb - 13:22

I don't buy it either.  And in any case  the judge is notifying the parties by letter and not announcing the decision in open court or so I read.  So how do we even know that the people haven't already been notified.  It is all very very very strange indeed.  Usually a date is set or even saying the trial is scheduled to resume in one month two months three months.  Not all left up in the air.   We are not being told what is going on.  That is without a doubt.
MaryB
MaryB
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Number of posts : 1581
Warning :

Registration date : 2009-09-15

Back to top Go down

Post  Panda Mon 24 Feb - 13:40

MaryB wrote:I don't buy it either.  And in any case  the judge is notifying the parties by letter and not announcing the decision in open court or so I read.  So how do we even know that the people haven't already been notified.  It is all very very very strange indeed.  Usually a date is set or even saying the trial is scheduled to resume in one month two months three months.  Not all left up in the air.   We are not being told what is going on.  That is without a doubt.

Yeah MaryB, it's not as if it was a mammoth case with lots of Lawyers acting for clients. I hope we are being kept in the dark because something big is being investigated, makes me think it is OPORTO, not SY who have asked for the delay.
Panda
Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  Lioned Mon 24 Feb - 15:03

I dont think they have to tell us anything do they.We have no rights to be informed and i am not expecting a running commentary.

That said i expect to find out from our friends in Portugal pretty quick once Mr Amaral knows.
Lioned
Lioned
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Number of posts : 8554
Warning :

Registration date : 2009-08-30

Back to top Go down

Post  Claudia79 Mon 24 Feb - 16:01

I know I keep repeating myself but here it is once again: there's nothing weird about the time this trial is taking.
Claudia79
Claudia79
Administrator
Administrator

Female
Number of posts : 7007
Warning :

Registration date : 2009-08-25

http://proud-of-the-pj.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  tanszi Mon 24 Feb - 16:02

I agree Lioned, if theres anything to know that can be stated publicly those in the know in Portugal will let us know. The case will take the time it takes, and maybe then there will be appeals.
tanszi
tanszi
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Number of posts : 3124
Warning :

Registration date : 2009-09-10

Back to top Go down

Post  tanszi Mon 24 Feb - 16:03

Thanks Claudia 79, I don't think its weird at all.
tanszi
tanszi
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Number of posts : 3124
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  Claudia79 Mon 24 Feb - 16:10

tanszi wrote:Thanks Claudia 79, I don't think its weird at all.

People have no idea how many other cases the judge is involved in. The judge, GA's lawyer, Isabel Duarte, the TVI legal team and the Publisher's lawyer. The judge has to take all the requests of all legal teams in consideration and then find a date where everybody is free. Courthouses are closing due to the crisis which means that the ones which are open will have more cases to deal with. The tendency is for cases to take longer to be finalised, sadly.
Claudia79
Claudia79
Administrator
Administrator

Female
Number of posts : 7007
Warning :

Registration date : 2009-08-25

http://proud-of-the-pj.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  jassi Mon 24 Feb - 16:13

tanszi wrote:I agree Lioned, if theres anything to know that can be stated publicly those in the know in Portugal will let us know.  The case will take the time it takes, and maybe then there will be appeals.

Oh, I'm sure there will  I wonder why the Trial date has not been set 25346 
jassi
jassi
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Number of posts : 911
Warning :

Registration date : 2009-08-21

Back to top Go down

Post  Panda Mon 24 Feb - 17:01

jassi wrote:
tanszi wrote:I agree Lioned, if theres anything to know that can be stated publicly those in the know in Portugal will let us know.  The case will take the time it takes, and maybe then there will be appeals.

Oh, I'm sure there will  I wonder why the Trial date has not been set 25346 

Considering this case was initiated more than 2 years ago it has progressed at a snails pace.Amaral must be furious that his assets of E 1 million were sequestered , almost like guilty until proven innocent.
Panda
Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  interested Mon 24 Feb - 19:00

There seems to be no end to the damage the McCanns have caused. Just think about the havoc/disarray the freezing of Mr. Amaral's assets has done to his family to say nothing of the stress/emotional turmoil.
interested
interested
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Number of posts : 2839
Warning :

Registration date : 2011-10-22

Back to top Go down

Post  widowan Mon 24 Feb - 20:00

interested wrote:There seems to be no end to the damage the McCanns have caused.  Just think about the havoc/disarray the freezing of Mr. Amaral's assets has done to his family to say nothing of the stress/emotional turmoil.  

That's the point isn't it? To grind him down - lawyers who suspect they will lose want to cause an out of court settlement.
widowan
widowan
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Number of posts : 3378
Warning :

Registration date : 2010-08-23

Back to top Go down

Post  Panda Tue 25 Feb - 7:34

I do wonder why the Court allowed such an imposition. We always assume innocent until proved guilty applied to all Countries E1 million was way over the top., even when Amaral won his appeal , it made no difference to the release of some of the E 1 million. Amaral had to go to Court to get Duarte to release the Books .
Panda
Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  weissnicht Tue 25 Feb - 7:51

widowan wrote:
interested wrote:There seems to be no end to the damage the McCanns have caused.  Just think about the havoc/disarray the freezing of Mr. Amaral's assets has done to his family to say nothing of the stress/emotional turmoil.  

That's the point isn't it? To grind him down - lawyers who suspect they will lose want to cause an out of court settlement.
Yes. Once they managed to freeze Amarals money, the delays are designed to ruin him, imo. Slowly. How evil is that.
weissnicht
weissnicht
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Number of posts : 851
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  Panda Tue 25 Feb - 8:02

weissnicht wrote:
widowan wrote:

Yes. Once they managed to freeze Amarals money, the delays are designed to ruin him, imo. Slowly. How evil is that.

Morning weissnicht......but Amaral is a Portugese Citizen being tried in a Portugese Court , not the Mccanns , who have been unhelpful , criticised the Portugese Police, caused havoc in PDL etc
Panda
Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  mossman Tue 25 Feb - 8:04

UK Justice Forum has tweeted trial re-starts next week and that Judge is "bombarded" with questions from both parties.

mossman
mossman
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Number of posts : 1639
Warning :

Registration date : 2011-05-25

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next