Missing Madeleine
Come join us...there's more inside you cannot see as a guest!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Missing Madeleine
Come join us...there's more inside you cannot see as a guest!
Missing Madeleine
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I wonder why the Trial date has not been set

+13
mossman
widowan
MaryB
interested
frencheuropean
Karen
wjk
jassi
matthew
jeanmonroe
weissnicht
Lioned
almostgothic
17 posters

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

I wonder why the Trial date has not been set - Page 4 Empty Re: I wonder why the Trial date has not been set

Post  Karen Wed 26 Feb - 9:09

Panda wrote:
Karen wrote:On twitter 1.UK Justice Forum ‏@Justice_forum 7 hrs
#McCann vs Gonçalo Amaral & Others libel trial to resume in Lisbon next week. Judge in meantime bombarded with questions from both parties.
          Details Expand Collapse

Thanks Karen, it looks as though a resumption of the Trial is iminent then , since the McCanns and Amaral will not be allowed to speak I assume it is the closing day so the Judge's decision will soon be known .

Very WELCOME Panda.  I wonder why the Trial date has not been set - Page 4 25346 
Karen
Karen
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Female
Number of posts : 635
Warning :
I wonder why the Trial date has not been set - Page 4 Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100I wonder why the Trial date has not been set - Page 4 Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2010-03-26

Back to top Go down

I wonder why the Trial date has not been set - Page 4 Empty Re: I wonder why the Trial date has not been set

Post  Panda Wed 26 Feb - 9:27

Karen wrote:
Panda wrote:
Karen wrote:On twitter 1.UK Justice Forum ‏@Justice_forum 7 hrs
#McCann vs Gonçalo Amaral & Others libel trial to resume in Lisbon next week. Judge in meantime bombarded with questions from both parties.
          Details Expand Collapse

Thanks Karen, it looks as though a resumption of the Trial is imminent then , since the McCanns and Amaral will not be allowed to speak I assume it is the closing day so the Judge's decision will soon be known .

Very WELCOME Panda.   I wonder why the Trial date has not been set - Page 4 25346 

Morning Karen, Iv'e cancelled a holiday to make sure I am here when the verdict is announced. I wonder why the Trial date has not been set - Page 4 25346 No I havn't just kidding!!! . It seems unusual that the Plaintiff and Defendant are not required to give evidence , but ours is not to reason why. I wonder why the Trial date has not been set - Page 4 303636 
Panda
Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 30555
Warning :
I wonder why the Trial date has not been set - Page 4 Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100I wonder why the Trial date has not been set - Page 4 Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2010-03-27

Back to top Go down

Post  frencheuropean Wed 26 Feb - 9:42

The last quote I find on the justice forum about the trial is this one by the administrator John:

"McCann v Gonçalo Amaral libel trial as it happens.
« Reply #1788 on: February 24, 2014, 12:12:07 PM »Contrary to what was reported previously, the judge has not yet set a date for the next hearing.  The reason for this appears to be that both sides have asked for clarification of several matters from the judge."

It was someone who phoned the courthouse who gave him this information.
frencheuropean
frencheuropean
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Number of posts : 1203
Warning :

Registration date : 2009-11-02

Back to top Go down

Post  Panda Wed 26 Feb - 9:54

frencheuropean wrote:The last quote I find on the justice forum about the trial is this one by the administrator John:

"McCann v Gonçalo Amaral libel trial as it happens.
« Reply #1788 on: February 24, 2014, 12:12:07 PM »Contrary to what was reported previously, the judge has not yet set a date for the next hearing.  The reason for this appears to be that both sides have asked for clarification of several matters from the judge."

It was someone who phoned  the courthouse who gave him this information.

Thanks frencheuropean...well not really since you are the bearer of bad tidings. I wonder why the Trial date has not been set - Page 4 389741 

You really couldn't make this up could you !!!!!

When the 7th January was bypassed as the closing date, why didn't the McCanns and Amaral ask for clarification THEN
instead of now?????
Panda
Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  mossman Wed 26 Feb - 10:36

I don't see an up-date to yesterday's tweet as posted by Karen above. Time will tell.
mossman
mossman
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Number of posts : 1639
Warning :

Registration date : 2011-05-25

Back to top Go down

Post  Panda Wed 26 Feb - 10:44

mossman wrote:I don't see an up-date to yesterday's tweet as posted by Karen above.  Time will tell.

It's the frencheuropean info which appears to be the latest. By the end of the day I'm sure someone will be able to confirm or deny, just wait and see isn't it ...like we have been doing for the last 7 years. I wonder why the Trial date has not been set - Page 4 25346 
Panda
Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  interested Wed 26 Feb - 16:58

Yes, we will all have to wait and see as we have been doing for seven years. I do hope the just verdict in Mr. Amaral's favour will be announced prior to April 25th which will be the 40th anniversary of the revolution - one of (if not THE) most important events in Portugual's history.
interested
interested
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Number of posts : 2839
Warning :

Registration date : 2011-10-22

Back to top Go down

Post  Panda Wed 26 Feb - 17:13

Portugal is an old Country and like Britain did a lot of exploration and colonisation Centuries ago , the two Countries have respect for each other and at the moment have more things to worry about, like their Economy and a lot of young people who have graduated have left Portugal to work in other Countries.

I'm sure they have more to worry about than setting Trial dates and I think they should tell SY they are not prepared to spend any more money on the investigation and close it down after the Trial.
Panda
Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  widowan Wed 26 Feb - 20:07

Panda wrote:Portugal is an old Country and like Britain did a lot of exploration and colonisation Centuries ago , the two Countries have respect for each other and at the moment have more things to worry about, like their Economy and a lot of young people who have graduated have left Portugal to work in other Countries.

I'm sure they have more to worry about than setting Trial dates and I think they should tell SY they are not prepared to spend any more money on the investigation and close it down after the Trial.

Panda you have these petty concerns - like spending millions of dollars of the hard working tax payers on bullsh*t like this - you should run for office. It seems to bother no one else that they lag on and on whereas the people involved just do not seem interested. Hve they never worked to a BUDGET? Or heard the expression throw good money after bad? The libel case is bad enough as that with the plaintiff's money and the defendants but still someone has to pay the judge

Cameron is willing to spend any amount of the country's money and the time of SY who (I hope) are needed to solve REAL crimes that aren't being micromanaged via his political machine as to whether they are important and who gets to see what or how we want to "play" this.

SO ANNOYING when you think how hard people work for their money and how they scrimp to make ends meet to have it thrown into the likes of these investigations etc with the lawyers making out like bandits to get the suspects off scot free or stymie the police from getting needed answers - and spending people's donations to hire media monitors to spin CRAP - where is the value for money, where is the justice in any of this? It's like some crappy game you get to play with other people's money and meanwhile no closer, not one inch, to finding what happened because lawyers are there to stick in their oar every time anyone seems to be getting anywhere, as long as they can make a penny.

The oldest profession is prostitution and the second oldest lawyers and the two have so much in common but at least you get value for money on the first one, and no one else is hurt.

widowan
widowan
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Number of posts : 3378
Warning :

Registration date : 2010-08-23

Back to top Go down

Post  MaryB Thu 27 Feb - 0:34

So we are still none the wiser as to when the trial will resume in spite of all the rumours that the date is 25th February, that's gone or next week.  I think it should be suspended till Scotland yard has finished chasing three burglars round the world at enormous cost.
MaryB
MaryB
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Number of posts : 1581
Warning :

Registration date : 2009-09-15

Back to top Go down

Post  Panda Thu 27 Feb - 6:58

widowan wrote:
Panda wrote:Portugal is an old Country and like Britain did a lot of exploration and colonisation Centuries ago , the two Countries have respect for each other and at the moment have more things to worry about, like their Economy and a lot of young people who have graduated have left Portugal to work in other Countries.

Panda you have these petty concerns - like spending millions of dollars of the hard working tax payers on bullsh*t like this - you should run for office. It seems to bother no one else that they lag on and on whereas the people involved just do not seem interested. Hve they never worked to a BUDGET? Or heard the expression throw good money after bad? The libel case is bad enough as that with the plaintiff's money and the defendants but still someone has to pay the judge

Cameron is willing to spend any amount of the country's money and the time of SY who (I hope) are needed to solve REAL crimes that aren't being micromanaged via his political machine as to whether they are important and who gets to see what or how we want to "play" this.

SO ANNOYING when you think how hard people work for their money and how they scrimp to make ends meet to have it thrown into the likes of these investigations etc with the lawyers making out like bandits to get the suspects off scot free or stymie the police from getting needed answers - and spending people's donations to hire media monitors to spin CRAP - where is the value for money, where is the justice in any of this? It's like some crappy game you get to play with other people's money and meanwhile no closer, not one inch, to finding what happened because lawyers are there to stick in their oar every time anyone seems to be getting anywhere, as long as they can make a penny.

The oldest profession is prostitution and the second oldest lawyers and the two have so much in common but at least you get value for money on the first one, and no one else is hurt.

Widowan, I don't think they are petty concerns, both Countries have spent millions which could have been put to better use. Admittedly there is nothing I can do about it , I just hope there is an end result.
Panda
Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  Panda Thu 27 Feb - 7:03

MaryB wrote:So we are still none the wiser as to when the trial will resume in spite of all the rumours that the date is 25th February, that's gone or next week.  I think it should be suspended till Scotland yard has finished chasing three burglars round the world at enormous cost.

I agree, MaryBbut maybe SY will wheel out another few 'persons of interest' to be investigated soon and as I say , the only way to stop this nonsense is for the Government to intervene and get the investigation closed, and the Portugese
Government to get on with whatever OPORTO have discovered.
Panda
Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  mossman Thu 27 Feb - 9:00

Have faith for a little longer Panda. It is because of the money spent in UK they will have to reach a conclusion and they know that conclusion will be scrutinised to the tiniest detail.

Portugal cannot afford this spending so they must have a very good reason for doing so.

This is all about money and has been from day one. Money talks so hopefully so too will the tapas.
mossman
mossman
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  Panda Thu 27 Feb - 9:33

mossman wrote:

Have faith for a little longer Panda.  It is because of the money spent in UK they will have to reach a conclusion and they know that conclusion will be scrutinised to the tiniest detail.

Portugal cannot afford this spending so they must have a very good reason for doing so.

This is all about money and has been from day one.  Money talks so hopefully so too will the tapas.

morning mossman, I hope you are right , it gets to me that the McCanns have run rings around everybody and in all truth,  I will never understand why 7 years down the line, with all the investigation, we are no nearer getting justice
for Madeleine. A long time ago , I'm sure within a year of Madeleine missing a Portugese Prosecutor asked the Court if the mobile phone info could be used in a Trial, the verdict was it was too intrusive.!! The second time the Prosecutor asked if there was enough evidence to go to Court, a Judge said 'show me the body' . So you see, attempts were made years ago to resolve this case , who knows what might have developed if the Judges had given permission.
Panda
Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  widowan Thu 27 Feb - 13:33

Seemingly you can do anything with enough high powered lawyers, and media attention. Especially because this was a tale of two countries, two languages, two sets of laws there were loopholes galore to exploit. The media monitor and CR were fighting the case in the press, and that meant British hearts/minds hence the cnotinued attention of the prime minister etc - this is a case that engages people so we better be on the right side of it.

Maybe more to it but I think a good plan A if you commit a crime or are suspected is to get the spin master and the best lawyers you can hire and keep anything from happening in the courts while rewriting history and spinning away about break ins and burglars and jimmied shutters and no one having a watch or credit card.
Huge amount of money gone to pot - all other people's. If Kate spent any of her advance on the book or whatever Rebecca B paid her for the serialization on the "Search" it'd be good to know. Since the book cover only said royalties would go to the Fund. Although the FUnd is still their piggy bank, it has to account for itself whereas their private bank accounts are off limits.

Now they can go delve into the bank accounts of "suspects" in PDL -!
widowan
widowan
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Number of posts : 3378
Warning :

Registration date : 2010-08-23

Back to top Go down

Post  Panda Sun 2 Mar - 9:21

Widowan, the Fund was set up 48 HOURS after Madeleine went missing.!!!!! I was browsing through old stuff I have and this is on Bates Wells & Braithwait (Solicitors) headed paper

'Setting Up Madeleine's Fund'

'Rosamund McCarthy and Philip Kirkpatrick were involved with setting up Madeleine's Fund: Leaving No Stone Unturned within 48 hrs and helping to present it's launch live on BBC and Sky TV'

How could anyone know Madeleine would not be found ??????
Panda
Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  mossman Sun 2 Mar - 9:36

How exactly was the fund first mentioned ? Who spoke to the public and what exactly was said ?

Funds for earthquake victims and those type of natural disasters have always been around. The personal tragedy ones are relatively new, back in 2007, how many had there ever been ?

Why did the public suddenly, for this disaster, decide there should be a fund, or was it a cleverly orchestrated idea, implanted in people's minds, by one of the McCanns employees ?

I remember watching events unfold in the first few days but I do not remember having an overwhelming feeling that I needed to send them money.

On the contrary, given their background and "image" portrayed, I would have thought the majority of the public would have considered them financially well off, almost an insult to send them two pounds in an envelope. So why did it come about so easily for them ?
mossman
mossman
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  Panda Sun 2 Mar - 10:02

mossman wrote:How exactly was the fund first mentioned ?  Who spoke to the public and what exactly was said ?

Funds for earthquake victims and those type of natural disasters have always been around.  The personal tragedy ones are relatively new,  back in 2007, how many had there ever been ?  

Why did the public suddenly, for this disaster, decide there should be a fund, or was it a cleverly orchestrated idea, implanted in people's minds, by one of the McCanns employees ?

I remember watching events unfold in the first few days but I do not remember having an overwhelming feeling that I needed to send them money.

On the contrary, given their background and "image" portrayed, I would have thought the majority of the public would have considered them financially well off, almost an insult to send them two pounds in an envelope.  So why did it come about so easily for them ?

Morning mossman, Amy Winehouse' Father set up a Fund, to help curb drug abuse, there are several Funds I can think of , but none where the Parents are the Beneficiaries, they are asking for financial aid to search for their missing daughter!!!!! From May to December there was over £2 million in the Fund, yet the Daily Mail pointed out in the 1st Year Accounts that only 13% was spent on searching for Madeleine. Apparently Gerry was told by the Charities Commission you could not have a Charity for one living person .
Panda
Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  Panda Mon 3 Mar - 11:13

Still no news on a Trial Date almost 2 months now since the 7th January was given by the Judge. I really do think it has something to do with the investigation . Now that the Portugese have fallen out with SY , maybe there will be a Report by Oporto made public. If there is nothing significant in their Report, maybe the Portugese will close the case rather than waste any more money .......will SY go it alone in the U.K?
Panda
Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  tanszi Mon 3 Mar - 11:45

Panda i think this should be rested until there is positive news about it.
tanszi
tanszi
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Number of posts : 3124
Warning :

Registration date : 2009-09-10

Back to top Go down

Post  Panda Mon 3 Mar - 11:51

tanszi wrote:Panda i think this should be rested until there is positive news about it.  

Hope we don't have to wait much longer tanzi , you must admit it is not normal behaviour in a Court case, let's hope Amaral wins and the E1 million will be paid to him pronto.
Panda
Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  Claudia79 Mon 3 Mar - 15:29

I wonder why the Trial date has not been set - Page 4 680495 
Claudia79
Claudia79
Administrator
Administrator

Female
Number of posts : 7007
Warning :

Registration date : 2009-08-25

http://proud-of-the-pj.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Claudia79 Mon 3 Mar - 15:42

Here is an example of a case which took 17 (seventeen) years to be finalised.

http://www.cmjornal.xl.pt/detalhe/noticias/exclusivo-cm/tribunal-demora-17-anos-a-julgar-processo

This one took 9 (nine).

http://www.cmjornal.xl.pt/detalhe/noticias/exclusivo-cm/justica-demora-nove-anos-a-julgar-caso-de-pedofilia?nPagina=1

Court cases take an average of 3 years to be concluded in Portugal. An average. And many of those do not exhaust all appeals...
Claudia79
Claudia79
Administrator
Administrator

Female
Number of posts : 7007
Warning :

Registration date : 2009-08-25

http://proud-of-the-pj.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  whatsupdoc Mon 3 Mar - 17:10

Trials are nothing like as swift as those on TV so I think that unles we discuss relevant factors in a trial then it is best just to sit back and wait for a result, which may or may not be made public..

What I find very unfair is the fact that GA had to put up such a lot of money whereas the McCanns didn't. I suspect that the govt will pay any damages as the McCanns seem averse at spending their own monwey on anything.They weedled free accommodatio etc etc and I can't remember them having to pay for anything including taxis from the airport as supplied by the police/MI5. I think this on it's own suggests a big cover-up.

whatsupdoc
whatsupdoc
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Male
Number of posts : 777
Warning :

Registration date : 2010-09-26

Back to top Go down

Post  Panda Mon 3 Mar - 17:27

Hi what'supdoc, this was a private case the McCanns brought against Amaral so i very much doubt the U.K. Government will pick up the tab. I can't remember any case anywhere where the Defendent had to put up 1 million, this after Amaral had fought and won the injunction against him selling his book. I don't understand why his lawyer did not protest at the time given that the case has stalled.
Panda
Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum