Missing Madeleine
Come join us...there's more inside you cannot see as a guest!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Missing Madeleine
Come join us...there's more inside you cannot see as a guest!
Missing Madeleine
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

And the future for News International??

+16
Badboy
marxman
Chris
almostgothic
Angelique
chrissie
Lioned
margaret
meg
kitti
pennylane
Annabel
docmac
whatsupdoc
Carolina
blossom45
20 posters

Page 3 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

And the future for News International?? - Page 3 Empty Re: And the future for News International??

Post  Guest Wed 13 Jul - 14:56

NEWS CORPORATION WITHDRAWS PROPOSED OFFER FOR BRITISH SKY BROADCASTING GROUP PLC

News Corporation (“News Corp”) announces that it no longer intends to make an offer for the entire issued and to be issued share capital of British Sky Broadcasting Group PLC (“BSkyB”) not already owned by it.

Chase Carey, Deputy Chairman, President and Chief Operating Officer, News Corporation, commented: “We believed that the proposed acquisition of BSkyB by News Corporation would benefit both companies but it has become clear that it is too difficult to progress in this climate. News Corporation remains a committed long-term shareholder in BSkyB. We are proud of the success it has achieved and our contribution to it.”

http://blogs.wsj.com/dispatch/2011/07/13/statement-news-corp-pulls-bskyb-bid/?mod=e2tw
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

And the future for News International?? - Page 3 Empty Re: And the future for News International??

Post  Guest Wed 13 Jul - 15:33

@BBCNews

Ofcom still reviewing under 'fit & proper' criteria News Corp's ownership of the 39% of #BSkyB it currently owns http://bbc.in/qd0yJj
2 minutes ago via TweetDeck
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed 13 Jul - 15:35

@BoycottMurdoch

If you haven't yet been to foxnewsuk.com, you definitely should.
half a minute ago via web

hehehehehe

www.foxnewsuk.com
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Panda Wed 13 Jul - 16:32

carmen wrote:
@BoycottMurdoch

If you haven't yet been to foxnewsuk.com, you definitely should.

hehehehehe

www.foxnewsuk.com

Iv"e just come in and it is on T.V. News. In a way this was inevitable under the current climate , a friend told me earlier today that her Newsagent had a stack of The Sun unsold and he told her this is happening every day, the public are showing their disgust. Newcorp is going to come under scrutiny
because Senator has asked for a probe into its affairs.
Panda
Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 30555
Warning :
And the future for News International?? - Page 3 Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100And the future for News International?? - Page 3 Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2010-03-27

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed 13 Jul - 18:39

Murdoch's biggest setback?
Robert Peston

In a business career of more than half a century, has 80 year-old Rupert Murdoch ever experienced such setbacks to his business ambitions?

The quintessential media mogul sees himself - rightly some would say - as the founder of British Sky Broadcasting, the UK's biggest broadcaster by revenues.

So to be told by politicians, who till recently were seen by some as his creatures, that he shouldn't press ahead with his attempt to own all of BSkyB, and then to have to do what they urged, well it is a humiliation of a kind that is somewhat unusual for him.

And, to state the obvious, that humiliation comes only a few days after another act that caused him acute pain, the closure of the News of the World, once his favourite newspaper.

Of course it would be wrong to overstate the damage to his News Corporation empire, owner of vast chunks of the US and global media industry.

It still remains immensely profitable. And News Corp still owns 39% of BSkyB, a business that bucked the recent recession to continue increasing its profits - to something like £1bn in the past year.

This will have been an 'incredibly painful' decision for Murdoch
But no one - including Mr Murdoch - can be certain what will emerge from either the police investigation or the judge-led public enquiry into alleged wrongdoing at the News of the World.

With the police as yet having contacted only the tiniest fraction of the thousands of people whose phones may have been hacked by a private detective in the employ of the News of the World, it is probable that there will be week after week of new shocking disclosures about the privacy of individuals being invade improperly.

And overnight there have been signs of contagion to other countries where News Corp has important assets: Senator Jay Rockefeller, the chairman of the Senate's commerce committee, urged US government agencies to probe whether the News of the World instigated attempts to hack the phones 9/11 victims and other American citizens.

So there could be further damage to the reputation of News Corporation, damage which could alienate advertisers and buyers of its newspapers and entertainment.

If that translated into losses of revenue, it would be easier for Mr Murdoch to shrug that off, if his recent investments had gone spectacularly well.

But he has written down the value of Dow Jones, owner of the Wall Street Journal - and he lost a fortune on the sale of MySpace, one of the original social networks.

Mr Murdoch would probably concede that in recent years he has not been infallible.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-14144731
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed 13 Jul - 18:46

@oflynnexpress

Tom Bradby on ITV news speculating on whether the Times will survive as "it loses a lot of money". This story is extraordinary.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Panda Wed 13 Jul - 19:16

I think Murdoch is playing a crafty Game. By withdrawing his bid "with a view to submit at a later date", he didn"t have to pay £2 extra for every share
because his offer was £9.75 and the share is just over £7.50. Public opinion is against Murdoch to such an extent that they are boycotting The Sun,
don"t know about the Times. means he may sell the British Newspapers .

I am just watching th Debate and it makes you laugh if it wasn"t so despicable, that all the Politicians banded together , yet it has taken how many Years.???????
Panda
Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Warning :
And the future for News International?? - Page 3 Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100And the future for News International?? - Page 3 Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu 14 Jul - 9:34

This was doing the rounds of twitter yesterday

And the future for News International?? - Page 3 Bskyb_10

anyone going to bid???

And the future for News International?? - Page 3 23324 And the future for News International?? - Page 3 23324 And the future for News International?? - Page 3 23324
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Panda Thu 14 Jul - 9:47

Carmen......excellent. And the future for News International?? - Page 3 613255 And the future for News International?? - Page 3 613255

I love the imagination of these clever people , where did you find this?
Panda
Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu 14 Jul - 9:49

Panda wrote:Carmen......excellent. And the future for News International?? - Page 3 613255 And the future for News International?? - Page 3 613255

the link was doing the rounds of twitter.

Here's the link for any potential bidders And the future for News International?? - Page 3 613255

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230646778819#ht_932wt_1167
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  almostgothic Thu 14 Jul - 9:52

Well I must admit, it is tempting. And the future for News International?? - Page 3 303636
I always fancied being a despot. And the future for News International?? - Page 3 364777

Hang on, I'll just go and check me piggy bank ... And the future for News International?? - Page 3 771556 And the future for News International?? - Page 3 23324
almostgothic
almostgothic
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Number of posts : 2945
Warning :

Registration date : 2011-03-18

Back to top Go down

Post  Panda Thu 14 Jul - 10:00

So "palacebreadboy" is the seller ......... I suspect he will be offering other items for sale. great stuff.
Panda
Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  Panda Thu 14 Jul - 11:51

There has just been a comment about the Meeting in Parliament next Tuesday where the Murdochs and Brooks are summoned to appear.
Since the Murdochs are not British there is no compulsion for them to attend but it would show signs of guilt on their part if they refused. Murdoch
is no pushover and will be closeted with his Lawyers no doubt and take the 5th Amendment. And the future for News International?? - Page 3 25346
Panda
Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu 14 Jul - 11:52

@BBCLauraK

@BBCLauraK
2.30 Tuesday afternoon at Culture Committee - you can put it in your diaries after all!
Reply Retweet

@BBCLauraK
And Cutlure Committee sending summons for both the Murdochs
1 minute ago via web

BREAKING - Rebekah Brooks WILL attend committee on Tuesday, Rupert Murdoch will not, James Murdoch is not available on that date
1 minute ago via web

Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu 14 Jul - 11:55

Panda wrote:There has just been a comment about the Meeting in Parliament next Tuesday where the Murdochs and Brooks are summoned to appear.
Since the Murdochs are not British there is no compulsion for them to attend but it would show signs of guilt on their part if they refused. Murdoch
is no pushover and will be closeted with his Lawyers no doubt and take the 5th Amendment. And the future for News International?? - Page 3 25346

According to Tom Watson MP, nationality isn't an issue - if they're on UK soil, they can be summoned, declared in contempt of Parliament and arrested by Sarjent at Arms - although what happens after that is a bit unknown!
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu 14 Jul - 11:56

@BBCLauraK

James Murdoch did offer another date to turn up in Aug - but cttee wouldn't accept it - they're issuing speaker's warrant to him + his Dad
2 minutes ago via web
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  margaret Thu 14 Jul - 12:03

carmen wrote:
Panda wrote:Carmen......excellent. And the future for News International?? - Page 3 613255 And the future for News International?? - Page 3 613255

the link was doing the rounds of twitter.

Here's the link for any potential bidders And the future for News International?? - Page 3 613255

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230646778819#ht_932wt_1167

That's GENIUS, have you read through the buyers questions? And the future for News International?? - Page 3 23324 And the future for News International?? - Page 3 23324 And the future for News International?? - Page 3 23324
margaret
margaret
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 4406
Warning :

Registration date : 2009-08-25

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu 14 Jul - 12:12

The q&a are brilliant And the future for News International?? - Page 3 23324 And the future for News International?? - Page 3 23324

And here is the text of James Murdoch's letter to the culture committee.

Dear John

Thank you for your letter of 12 July, on behalf of the committee, inviting me to give evidence to you on 19 July.

Unfortunately I am not available to attend the session you have planned next Tuesday.

However, I would be pleased to give evidence to your committee on either the 10 or 11 August. Naturally, if neither of these proves suitable I would be willing to consider any alternative dates you suggest.

I hope this is of help to the committee.

Yours sincerely,

James Murdoch

Rupert Murdoch's US holdings account for a dominant part of its more than $32bn global annual revenue Photograph: Pool/Reuters
11.59am: Here's what Rupert Murdoch said in his letter to the culture committee chairman.

Dear John,

Thank you for your letter of 12 July, on behalf of the committee, inviting me to give evidence to you on 19 July.

Unfortunately, I am not available to attend the session you have planned next Tuesday. However, I am fully prepared to give evidence to the forthcoming judge-led public inquiry and I will be taking steps to notify those conducting the inquiry of my willingness to do so. Having done this, I would be happy to discuss with you how best to give evidence to your committee.

I hope this is of help.

Yours sincerely,

Rupert Murdoch

11.54am: Here is the full statement from the culture committee.

The Commons Culture, Media and Sport Committee has this morning received letters from Rupert Murdoch, Chair and CEO of News Corporation, James Murdoch, Chairman and Chief Executive of News Corporation (International), and Rebekah Brooks, Chief Executive of News International, in response to its invitation to appear before the Committee.

Rebekah Brooks has accepted the invitation to appear before the Committee next week. Rupert Murdoch has indicated he is unable to attend to give evidence, and James Murdoch has indicated he is unable to attend on the specified date but offered to appear at an alternative date, the earliest of which was August 10th. The letters are attached.

The Committee has made clear its view that all three should appear to account for the behaviour of News International and for previous statements made to the Committee in Parliament, now acknowledged to be false.

Accordingly, the Committee has this morning decided to summon Rupert Murdoch and James Murdoch to appear before the Select Committee in Parliament at 2.30pm on Tuesday 19 July 2011.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/blog/2011/jul/14/nickclegg-phone-hacking#block-23
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu 14 Jul - 12:18

@julianhuppert

Formal summons are now being delivered to both Murdochs by the Deputy Sergeant at Arms #fb #live #phonehacking #notw

LibDem MP for Cambridge
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Panda Thu 14 Jul - 12:19

carmen wrote:
Panda wrote:There has just been a comment about the Meeting in Parliament next Tuesday where the Murdochs and Brooks are summoned to appear.

According to Tom Watson MP, nationality isn't an issue - if they're on UK soil, they can be summoned, declared in contempt of Parliament and arrested by Sarjent at Arms - although what happens after that is a bit unknown!

I think it was Nick Clegg who said he was going to frogmarch them into Parliament. And the future for News International?? - Page 3 25346
Panda
Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu 14 Jul - 12:20

And here is the full text of Rebekah Brooks's letter to the culture committee.

Dear John,

I am writing to confirm that I am available to appear before the committee on that date and welcome the opportunity to do so.

As you are well aware, the Metropolitan police investigation into illegal voicemail interception continues and we are fully cooperating with that. Aspects of the work to which your committee may wish to refer are likely to be relevant to that investigation. Indeed, the police have already asked us specifically to provide information about those matters.

I understand that various select committees have approached the police over time in relation to this and other cases. The police's position has been to co-operate where this did not directly impact on the investigation in question. In those cases where it did potentially impact, the police have historically declined to comment at that stage. Our understanding is that this approach has not been challenged. Given that we are in the midst of an investigation, and we do not want to prejudice it, I hope you will understand why we feel it would not be appropriate to respond to such questions at present in order to be consistent with [the] police's approach, and that as a result this may prevent me from discussing these matters in detail.

I hope this is of help, and look forward to hearing from you to discuss exact timings and other details.

Yours sincerely,

Rebekah Brooks

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/blog/2011/jul/14/nickclegg-phone-hacking#block-24
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu 14 Jul - 12:39

@GeorgeMonbiot

explosive sggstn from @ChrisBryantMP: House shld consider emergency motion on Monday to arrest murdochs if continue to refuse to attend.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  margaret Thu 14 Jul - 12:41

carmen wrote:
And here is the full text of Rebekah Brooks's letter to the culture committee.

Dear John,

I am writing to confirm that I am available to appear before the committee on that date and welcome the opportunity to do so.

As you are well aware, the Metropolitan police investigation into illegal voicemail interception continues and we are fully cooperating with that. Aspects of the work to which your committee may wish to refer are likely to be relevant to that investigation. Indeed, the police have already asked us specifically to provide information about those matters.

I understand that various select committees have approached the police over time in relation to this and other cases. The police's position has been to co-operate where this did not directly impact on the investigation in question. In those cases where it did potentially impact, the police have historically declined to comment at that stage. Our understanding is that this approach has not been challenged. Given that we are in the midst of an investigation, and we do not want to prejudice it, I hope you will understand why we feel it would not be appropriate to respond to such questions at present in order to be consistent with [the] police's approach, and that as a result this may prevent me from discussing these matters in detail.

I hope this is of help, and look forward to hearing from you to discuss exact timings and other details.

Yours sincerely,

Rebekah Brooks

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/blog/2011/jul/14/nickclegg-phone-hacking#block-24

Do you think she's going to try 'can't comment due to investigation' issues?
margaret
margaret
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 4406
Warning :

Registration date : 2009-08-25

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu 14 Jul - 12:44

Margaret wrote:Do you think she's going to try 'can't comment due to investigation' issues?

Sounds like she's paving that route - doubt she'll be allowed to get away with it though??

Mike Naworynsky, the deputy serjeant-at-arms at the Commons, is on his way to Wapping now, we're told, to deliver the summonses to Rupert Murdoch and James Murdoch ordering them to attend next week's culture committee hearing. Apparently he won't be wearing ceremonial outfit ("tights").

John Whittingdale said that Kevin Maxwell was the last person to receive a summons of this kind ordering him to attend a select committee hearing. Maxwell turned up.

Earlier (see 8.36am) Whittingdale talked about John Junor being ordered to attend parliament in 1957. To clarify: Junor was the last person ordered to attend the Bar of the House (ie, to come to the chamber itself) after being accused of a contempt of parliament.

If the Murdochs refuse to comply with the summonses they are receiving from the select committee, the committee could then report them to the Commons for contempt. At that point, the only sanction available to parliament would be to call them to the Bar for a reprimand.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/blog/2011/jul/14/nickclegg-phone-hacking
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu 14 Jul - 12:49

@GeorgeMonbiot

This is now a straightforward power struggle between Murdoch and parliament. Democracy demands that parliament wins.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next