Missing Madeleine
Come join us...there's more inside you cannot see as a guest!

Book on Maddie tops the paperback charts

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Book on Maddie tops the paperback charts

Post  Annabel on Sat 16 Jun - 10:40

http://www.thisisleicestershire.co.uk/Book-Maddie-tops-paperback-charts/story-16386243-detail/story.html?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed


Book on Maddie tops the paperback charts

Saturday, June 16, 2012Leicester MercuryFollow

The paperback version of Kate McCann's book Madeleine has topped the charts, selling 39,000 copies since it was released five weeks ago.

Her book about the abduction and continuing search for her daughter entered the paperback non-fiction chart at number two, climbing to number one for the second and third week of sale.

It is currently fourth in the league table, surprising industry experts.

Philip Stone, charts editor at The Bookseller magazine, said: "I was quite impressed.

"It was one of those books that I thought, if you wanted to read it, you would have wanted to read it when everyone was talking about it and when it was serialised in the paper – when the hardback came out.

"I thought that might mean the paperback would struggle. Shows what I know.

"It is one of the best-selling non-fiction paperback books of the last month."

At its peak, the paperback reached 13th place in the top 50 list of all books on sale, and sits at the 33rd position in that league table.

The book was released on May 11 – a year after the hardback version became one of the fastest-selling non-fiction books since records began in 1998.

It sold about 73,000 copies in the week of its release. Only five other non-fiction books have registered stronger sales in their first week – two cookery books by Delia Smith, the autobiographies of David Beckham and Tony Blair and a book by Princess Diana's former butler, Paul Burrell.

The 496-page paperback book has been published by Corgi, and is on sale for £7.99.

All the proceeds from sales will go towards the search for Madeleine, who went missing, aged three, during a family holiday to the Portuguese resort of Praia de Luz in May 2007.

The official Find Madeline Campaign took part in The Big Tweet, run by the Missing Children charity, last month.

For a whole day, on May 25, the charity tweeted messages dedicated to each missing child in the UK – including Maddie – and via the campaign website Kate McCann encouraged Twitter users to repost the messages to their followers.

On Wednesday, the campaign's Facebook page also urged holidaymakers to print off special translated posters about Maddie, in the language of their destination country, to distribute while on holiday.

A message on the campaign website said: "Going on holiday? Please take a holiday pack to raise awareness and to keep people looking for Madeleine.

"The vital piece of information that leads to a happy and longed-for reunion is usually thanks to a caring and vigilant member of the general public, often recognising a face from a poster. It is for this reason that we must continue to remind people of Madeleine and the fact that she is still missing."

http://findmadeleine. com/home.html

Annabel
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 3528
Location : Europe
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2009-08-25

Back to top Go down

Re: Book on Maddie tops the paperback charts

Post  Guest on Sat 16 Jun - 10:45

The Search For Madeleine?

Only by Proxy, it seems.


Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Book on Maddie tops the paperback charts

Post  T4two on Sat 16 Jun - 11:44

A message on the campaign website should have said: "Going on holiday?.... be sure to count the number of kids you take with you and bring them all back".

T4two
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Male
Number of posts : 1689
Age : 68
Location : Germany/England
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2009-09-14

Back to top Go down

Re: Book on Maddie tops the paperback charts

Post  Guest on Sat 16 Jun - 12:04

It would be useful to have a couple of appraisals of the book from those who have bought it - to include their reason for doing so, their original opinion of what happened to Madeleine and any part Healy/McCann may have played in it, and whether the book caused them to alter their view.

I certainly agree with T4two that a "before and after" headcount of children is a good idea.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Book on Maddie tops the paperback charts

Post  Guest on Sat 16 Jun - 12:36

What charts?

Where can we verify this information?


Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Book on Maddie tops the paperback charts

Post  malena stool on Sat 16 Jun - 16:27

I couldn't find any validation Iris, but these reviews appeared on Amazon... (If they are to be believed).

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Madeleine-Kate-McCann/dp/0593067916

Review
"You won’t find a more moving and powerful account of love and loss"--Douglas Wight, News of the World

"Madeleine is not only an impressive and well-written chronicle of a terrible crime, it is a must-read because someone out there knows something"--James Murray, The Sunday Express

"Powerful … Kate’s book blazes with the sheer, visceral force of her love for her daughter"--Sandra Parsons, Daily Mail

"Mrs McCann writes honestly about her torment"-- Robert Mendick, The Sunday Telegraph

"It’s hard to read these words without wanting to weep"--Christina Patterson, Independent

"This haunting account makes me rue the day I doubted them"--David Jones, Daily Mail

"It is high time the McCann haters pushed off... It seems clear that, far from self-justifying, or attention-seeking, this book is what it has always been about for the McCanns – a practical solution to fundraising."--Barbara Ellen, The Observer

malena stool
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Male
Number of posts : 13368
Location : Spare room above the kitchen
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2009-10-04

Back to top Go down

Re: Book on Maddie tops the paperback charts

Post  Guest on Sat 16 Jun - 16:32

I can get any amount of Eggs in stock ready for those really rather poor Journalists to wear facially in due course.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Book on Maddie tops the paperback charts

Post  Panda on Sat 16 Jun - 17:34



I mentioned on one of the threads a couple of weeks ago that Amazon has reduced the price to £3.88, a couple of Members said their Supermarkets
had plenty on their shelves . It is also untrue that all proceeds go towards the search for Madeleine, it's only the Royalties.

Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 30555
Age : 59
Location : Wales
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2010-03-27

Back to top Go down

Re: Book on Maddie tops the paperback charts

Post  Not Born Yesterday on Sat 16 Jun - 17:36

after refreshing my memory of those journalistic quotes. I think that they first appeared when the hardback was published last year and aren't specifically about the paperback. The comments from the Mail and Observer "journalists" - using the word loosely - are quite definitely from last year.

Not Born Yesterday
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 6697
Age : 103
Location : Over the hills and far away
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2011-10-09

Back to top Go down

Re: Book on Maddie tops the paperback charts

Post  Panda on Sat 16 Jun - 17:44

Not Born Yesterday wrote: after refreshing my memory of those journalistic quotes. I think that they first appeared when the hardback was published last year and aren't specifically about the paperback. The comments from the Mail and Observer "journalists" - using the word loosely - are quite definitely from last year.

It's gone very quiet in the McCann Camp, no more "sightings" of Madeleine to keep them in the spotlight . I think the fact that the price was halved on Amazon after only two weeks says it all.

Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 30555
Age : 59
Location : Wales
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2010-03-27

Back to top Go down

Re: Book on Maddie tops the paperback charts

Post  cherry1 on Sat 16 Jun - 17:54

How can she have written honestly about her torment when she goes into detail about
searching for Madeleine forgetting she had already admitted in her TV interview that she said
she hadnt searched!

cherry1
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 6240
Location : Here, there and everywhere
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2012-02-03

Back to top Go down

Re: Book on Maddie tops the paperback charts

Post  Panda on Sat 16 Jun - 18:32

cherry1 wrote:How can she have written honestly about her torment when she goes into detail about
searching for Madeleine forgetting she had already admitted in her TV interview that she said
she hadnt searched!

I remember that cherry1 and thought at the time the "we were busy" was quite a crass remark to make. any other Parents would have been out searching with the Residents of PDL until they were completely exhausted.

Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 30555
Age : 59
Location : Wales
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2010-03-27

Back to top Go down

Re: Book on Maddie tops the paperback charts

Post  Lillyofthevalley on Sat 16 Jun - 19:12

Well if the Leicester (McCann supporters) Mercury says Katies bewk sold 39,000 copies then it must be true

Lillyofthevalley
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Number of posts : 1552
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2009-08-20

Back to top Go down

Re: Book on Maddie tops the paperback charts

Post  interested on Sat 16 Jun - 21:24

Why is the book described as "non-fiction"? I take exception to THAT description.

interested
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Number of posts : 2424
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2011-10-22

Back to top Go down

Re: Book on Maddie tops the paperback charts

Post  Lioned on Sat 16 Jun - 22:11

Another 'Sheds are Us' lorry was seen leaving Rothley towers last week.

Lioned
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Number of posts : 8554
Age : 107
Location : Down South
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2009-08-30

Back to top Go down

Re: Book on Maddie tops the paperback charts

Post  Chris on Sun 17 Jun - 7:46

I wonder which outlets are making the sales. Tesco had the book at 43rd in their "bestsellers" last time I looked.

Chris
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Number of posts : 1607
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2010-05-27

Back to top Go down

Re: Book on Maddie tops the paperback charts

Post  Panda on Sun 17 Jun - 10:43


I think proibably Gerry drafted the Article and sent it to the local Paper.

"On Wednesday, the campaign's Facebook page also urged holidaymakers to print off special translated posters about Maddie, in the language of their destination country, to distribute while on holiday".........The McCanns just don't stop trying to get the Public help do they.!!!! On their Book Promotion
Tour, why didn't they post them themselves????? Another waste of money having posters translated.

Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 30555
Age : 59
Location : Wales
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2010-03-27

Back to top Go down

Re: Book on Maddie tops the paperback charts

Post  snowflake on Sun 17 Jun - 20:14

Annabel wrote:http://www.thisisleicestershire.co.uk/Book-Maddie-tops-paperback-charts/story-16386243-detail/story.html?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed


Book on Maddie tops the paperback charts

Saturday, June 16, 2012Leicester MercuryFollow

The paperback version of Kate McCann's book Madeleine has topped the charts, selling 39,000 copies since it was released five weeks ago.

Her book about the abduction and continuing search for her daughter entered the paperback non-fiction chart at number two, climbing to number one for the second and third week of sale.

It is currently fourth in the league table, surprising industry experts.

Philip Stone, charts editor at The Bookseller magazine, said: "I was quite impressed.

"It was one of those books that I thought, if you wanted to read it, you would have wanted to read it when everyone was talking about it and when it was serialised in the paper – when the hardback came out.

"I thought that might mean the paperback would struggle. Shows what I know.

"It is one of the best-selling non-fiction paperback books of the last month."

At its peak, the paperback reached 13th place in the top 50 list of all books on sale, and sits at the 33rd position in that league table.

The book was released on May 11 – a year after the hardback version became one of the fastest-selling non-fiction books since records began in 1998.

It sold about 73,000 copies in the week of its release. Only five other non-fiction books have registered stronger sales in their first week – two cookery books by Delia Smith, the autobiographies of David Beckham and Tony Blair and a book by Princess Diana's former butler, Paul Burrell.

The 496-page paperback book has been published by Corgi, and is on sale for £7.99.

All the proceeds from sales will go towards the search for Madeleine, who went missing, aged three, during a family holiday to the Portuguese resort of Praia de Luz in May 2007.

The official Find Madeline Campaign took part in The Big Tweet, run by the Missing Children charity, last month.

For a whole day, on May 25, the charity tweeted messages dedicated to each missing child in the UK – including Maddie – and via the campaign website Kate McCann encouraged Twitter users to repost the messages to their followers.

On Wednesday, the campaign's Facebook page also urged holidaymakers to print off special translated posters about Maddie, in the language of their destination country, to distribute while on holiday.

A message on the campaign website said: "Going on holiday? Please take a holiday pack to raise awareness and to keep people looking for Madeleine.

"The vital piece of information that leads to a happy and longed-for reunion is usually thanks to a caring and vigilant member of the general public, often recognising a face from a poster. It is for this reason that we must continue to remind people of Madeleine and the fact that she is still missing."

http://findmadeleine. com/home.html


snowflake
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Female
Number of posts : 825
Age : 61
Location : UK
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2008-11-03

Back to top Go down

Re: Book on Maddie tops the paperback charts

Post  Guest on Sun 17 Jun - 22:24

What on earth do you find to applaud about the gullibility of people who have chosen to believe a work of fiction over and above the vast pantheon of evidence, intelligence and circumstance that suggests a rather different story?

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Book on Maddie tops the paperback charts

Post  Not Born Yesterday on Sun 17 Jun - 22:28

I don't think that you can have read Snowflake's previous postings, The End is Nigh! At least she's polite unlike most totally blinkered McCann supporters.

Not Born Yesterday
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 6697
Age : 103
Location : Over the hills and far away
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2011-10-09

Back to top Go down

Re: Book on Maddie tops the paperback charts

Post  marxman on Sun 17 Jun - 22:28

I think you will find that 'Snowflake' is
every bit a WUM.

marxman
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Male
Number of posts : 1122
Location : In the dog house
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2011-02-28

Back to top Go down

Re: Book on Maddie tops the paperback charts

Post  Guest on Sun 17 Jun - 22:29

Not Born Yesterday wrote:I don't think that you can have read Snowflake's previous postings, The End is Nigh! At least she's polite unlike most totally blinkered McCann supporters.

Certainly have. Every word.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Book on Maddie tops the paperback charts

Post  Not Born Yesterday on Sun 17 Jun - 22:36

Brave man! Marxman, I don't know about Snowflake being a wind-up merchant, I'm not sure that she'd carry on a joke for this long. I really don't know why she's here rather than on the Facebook McCann page - a much more suitable site for trusting delicate souls!

Not Born Yesterday
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 6697
Age : 103
Location : Over the hills and far away
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2011-10-09

Back to top Go down

Re: Book on Maddie tops the paperback charts

Post  Guest on Sun 17 Jun - 22:39

I very much hope that nobody, nobody at all, whatever their opinion about how things came to pass, considers the disappearance of an innocent child to be "a joke".

That would be repulsive.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Book on Maddie tops the paperback charts

Post  snowflake on Sun 17 Jun - 22:45

marxman wrote:I think you will find that 'Snowflake' is
every bit a WUM.

What is a "wum"?

snowflake
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Female
Number of posts : 825
Age : 61
Location : UK
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2008-11-03

Back to top Go down

Re: Book on Maddie tops the paperback charts

Post  Sponsored content Today at 22:37


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum