Missing Madeleine
Come join us...there's more inside you cannot see as a guest!

Libel case delay

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Libel case delay

Post  Panda on Sun 9 Sep - 11:17

The End Is Nigh wrote:Well yes: It isn't a setback, but merely a normal part of the way Justice works. Also, much as we don't like it, the Portuguese system does not actually require their attendance. Fortunately, Lawyers are there to present the facts and other evidence and only in rare cases does the superior intellect or experience of an individual manage to overcome the rules of evidence and fair play. Especially on TV. Most Hearings are straightforward, mundane and extremely tedious.

Personally, I'm perfectly happy for this to play out all in good time and according to procedure.

So if the McCanns don't appear, there is no need for Amaral to either? I don't have your patience and laissez faire attitude TEIN, I think of the Portugese Police who have been the butt of Kate's anger for all to read when in fact they did everything they could in the search. I also think of the people at the Ocean Club who searched for hours while the parents stayed in their warm Apartment. I think of the millions of £'s generously donated by people all over the world and the way this money was spent and deplore the arrogance of the McCanns .

Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 30555
Age : 59
Location : Wales
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2010-03-27

Back to top Go down

Re: Libel case delay

Post  Guest on Sun 9 Sep - 11:25

I imagine we all share many of those concerns, but I can't see what this short delay (the latest of many, before we're through) does to change that in any way?

As for Amaral, as he is the one defending his reputation (in effect), it's perhaps not in his best interests to be absent.

I think there has been reference somewhere on the Forum to how things work in Civil Hearings in Portugal, but I cannot locate it offhand - Nevertheless (and I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong), I seem to recall the Proceedings are focussed upon the various Depositions rather than the Examination, Cross-Examination and Re-Examination that we may be more familiar with.


Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Libel case delay

Post  Justiceforallkids on Sun 9 Sep - 11:43

MCCANNS WILL MISS COP’S TRIAL

ABOVE: Claims: Goncalo Amaral Kate and Gerry are not needed in Portugal for the trial
The McCanns’ lawyer Isabel Duarte

9th September 2012 By Daily Star reporter
THE parents of Madeleine McCann will avoid a showdown with a former police chief who wrongly claimed they lied about their daughter’s disappearance.

Kate and Gerry McCann are hoping to win a £1million libel payout from disgraced Goncalo Amaral, who they say has made their life hell.

But the McCanns, both 44, are staying away from this week’s trial in the Portuguese capital Lisbon.


Mr Amaral, 55, is attending the four-day hearing, which is scheduled to start on Thursday.

Kate and Gerry branded the ex-officer “poisonous” for claiming in a once-banned book that Maddie is dead and that they lied about her disappearance.

Their daughter vanished in Praia da Luz, Portugal, five years ago, aged three.

The McCanns’ lawyer Isabel Duarte said yesterday: “Kate and Gerry are not needed in Portugal for the trial.”

She said they were confident of victory, adding: “We reasonably expect compensation for the dreadful damages this book has brought the family.

Any payout will be spent entirely on the continuing global search for Maddie, the couple said.

Mr Amaral led the bungled investigation but was sacked for criticising British police.

Kate wrote in her 2011 book Madeleine: “That man has caused us so much upset and anger




whats that old saying pride comes before a falll??? the mcanns and supporters are scared witless imo

Justiceforallkids
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 5102
Age : 37
Location : tasmania australia
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2009-08-20

Back to top Go down

Re: Libel case delay

Post  mossman on Sun 9 Sep - 11:56

Cowards, pure and simple.

Healy and McCann should go to Portugal, look Amaral in the eye and tell him why he is wrong, why the investigation was wrong.

Happy to take his money, happy to destroy his life, but not so happy to look him in the eye and meet him face to face.




mossman
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Number of posts : 1639
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2011-05-25

Back to top Go down

Re: Libel case delay

Post  Justiceforallkids on Sun 9 Sep - 11:58

mossman wrote:Cowards, pure and simple.

Healy and McCann should go to Portugal, look Amaral in the eye and tell him why he is wrong, why the investigation was wrong.

Happy to take his money, happy to destroy his life, but not so happy to look him in the eye and meet him face to face.




they wont though becaus ethats part of their game playing human torture and playing mind games

Justiceforallkids
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 5102
Age : 37
Location : tasmania australia
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2009-08-20

Back to top Go down

Re: Libel case delay

Post  Guest on Sun 9 Sep - 12:00

The question is, when will it be enough?

Regardless of how you carve it up, Madeleine disappeared on their watch.

They have two other children who will one day find out that there is so much more to the affair than they have been told

Amaral

Tony Bennett

Elements of Free Speech



The damage just goes on and on.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Libel case delay

Post  cass on Mon 10 Sep - 8:41

thanks panda xx


does anyone think that this will be the end of the mcanns ? win float off to pastures new -- ga a broken man

because if they loose where does that leave them ? everyone and anyone would be able to print everything ga has said in his book

i think that portugal and sy have come to a deal to close this once and for all and shut everyone up

what will the result mean in terms of keeping this farse going for the neglecting mcanns

cass
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Number of posts : 1652
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2010-05-18

Back to top Go down

Re: Libel case delay

Post  Panda on Mon 10 Sep - 9:02

cass wrote:thanks panda xx


does anyone think that this will be the end of the mcanns ? win float off to pastures new -- ga a broken man

because if they loose where does that leave them ? everyone and anyone would be able to print everything ga has said in his book

i think that portugal and sy have come to a deal to close this once and for all and shut everyone up

what will the result mean in terms of keeping this farse going for the neglecting mcanns

Morning cass,hope you have you recovered from your Birthday Celebrations. To be honest, I don't know what to think anymore about this case, it's six of one and half a dozen of the other. I was sent a report recently which I think is too contentious to post here, but apparently Amaral was asked to produce evidence of U.K. government interference , but could not. At one time I thought Amaral was bound to win, but when a Portugese Chairman of Lawyers is testifying against him I just wonder what he has to say.!!!!

I think this Lawsuit will mean endgame on the case, the public is fed up , I don't even discuss it with friends because they cannot understand my continued interest in it. LOL

Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 30555
Age : 59
Location : Wales
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2010-03-27

Back to top Go down

Re: Libel case delay

Post  Carolina on Mon 10 Sep - 10:23

Panda wrote:
duncanmac wrote:Forget it, I am now convinced the MaCanns are home and dry.
Didnt Amaral ask for an adjournment previously as he was changing his lawyer as the travelling was too much for his last lawyer ?

Yes duncanmac, he did and he also wanted a videolink because the case was being tried too far away for HIM as far as I

remember. This whole thing stinks IMO , what possible illness could Amaral's Lawyer have which prevents him acting for his Client but ensures he will be fit in one weeks time? This is a Civil court so thankfully no Jury has been enlisted , but the Judges and Lawyers, Court time alloted , McCanns Travel Arrangements all affected.

My god, such pessimists here! Court cases get postponed all of the time, judges get sick or even die, lawyers get sick, plaintiffs (such as the McCanns) want to have video conference for their witnesses, defendents change lawyers, etc. And as for the McCanns being home and dry, the fact that they do not intend to attend the hearings shows that they are not confident about their case and its outcome. Otherwise, they would be over in Portugal with hundreds of journalists behind them to report on the testimonies.

Carolina
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Female
Number of posts : 874
Age : 70
Location : Algarve, Portugal
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2009-08-24

Back to top Go down

Re: Libel case delay

Post  Panda on Mon 10 Sep - 10:39

I think the McCanns remember the embarassment outside the Courthouse when they were handed red carnations from

Portugese women who they thought were wellwishers when in fact the Women were members of the Freedom Party and were in fact an insult. Also, Gerry was in danger of losing his temper with the Reporters outside especially the one out of sight asking pertinent questions. !!!! He also never showed up the next day, sending fiona to sit with Kate.

I also find it strange that that Pinto, the Portugese Chairman of Lawyers is a witness for the McCanns .

Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 30555
Age : 59
Location : Wales
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2010-03-27

Back to top Go down

Re: Libel case delay

Post  Guest on Mon 10 Sep - 10:44

Healy & McCann are entitled to call whomsoever they wish - whether calling Pinto is a wise move or a counterproductive strategy that will backfire remains to be seen

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Libel case delay

Post  Carolina on Mon 10 Sep - 11:00

The McCanns calling Marinho e Pinto as a witness on their behalf smells of desperation in my opinion. What can he say about their suffering or the damage caused by the book? I think that they want him to try to tarnish Gonçalo's reputation due to the Leonor case but I doubt that the judges will allow that because that can't be used as argument in a libel case. Marinho e Pinto is a loose cannon, a demagogue who never loses an opportunity to criticise the police, as if they were the criminals and all criminals victims of police brutality. A down right idiot he is and I suppose that if he were questioned by GA's lawyer in an aggressive way (this is one of the reasons that GA changed his lawyer, who is much more aggressive and incisive than his previous one) he would blow his stack. He already did on television when a journalist asked a question he did not like.

I would like to add that the fact that almost all of the McCanns English witnesses will be testifying by video conference shows that they either couldn't be bothered to travel to Portugal for them or that the McCanns didn't want to cough up the costs for their flights and accommodation.

As for court appearances, about 20 years ago, I was presented as a witness on behalf of the company I worked for in a dispute between some Swiss timeshare buyers and the company. I never understood why they wanted me to testify for them and was terrified at the prospect because I would be of no help whatsoever. Anyway, I really didn't have anything to fear because we went to Portimão courthouse 3 times and I never went further than the waiting room outside and never saw the inside of the courtroom. Never found out what the outcome was and I really didn't care since I didn't have to testify.

Carolina
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Female
Number of posts : 874
Age : 70
Location : Algarve, Portugal
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2009-08-24

Back to top Go down

Re: Libel case delay

Post  Panda on Mon 10 Sep - 11:09

The End Is Nigh wrote:Healy & McCann are entitled to call whomsoever they wish - whether calling Pinto is a wise move or a counterproductive strategy that will backfire remains to be seen

Morning TEIN, I don't know what Pinto's responsibilities were in this case but since a cime has not been proved I can't understand why the Chairman of Lawyers has been called. Is his testimony allowed to be about the legality of Amaral's claim that Madeleine had died in 5a....no , the Appellate Court ruled that the Final Report includes this theory.Is it a question of Amaral's responsibilities as Co-ordinator perhaps giving evidence Amaral was incompetent ?.....how does that figure in a Libel charge.

All I hope is that Amaral's Lawyer reminds the Judges that the case is about the McCanns claim regarding the effect his book had on their welfare ......they would have to provide proof of that, even if they had Doctors Certificates for themselves, how can they claim for their children who were about 4 yrs old at the time?

Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 30555
Age : 59
Location : Wales
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2010-03-27

Back to top Go down

Re: Libel case delay

Post  Guest on Mon 10 Sep - 11:18

Sorry, P -- been out Gardening before the rain comes (It's here now!): But I see Carolina has expanded very well on my own thoughts and provided useful reminders of the background too. Bravo Carolina

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Libel case delay

Post  Panda on Mon 10 Sep - 11:40

Carolina wrote:The McCanns calling Marinho e Pinto as a witness on their behalf smells of desperation in my opinion. What can he say about their suffering or the damage caused by the book? I think that they want him to try to tarnish Gonçalo's reputation due to the Leonor case but I doubt that the judges will allow that because that can't be used as argument in a libel case. Marinho e Pinto is a loose cannon, a demagogue who never loses an opportunity to criticise the police, as if they were the criminals and all criminals victims of police brutality. A down right idiot he is and I suppose that if he were questioned by GA's lawyer in an aggressive way (this is one of the reasons that GA changed his lawyer, who is much more aggressive and incisive than his previous one) he would blow his stack. He already did on television when a journalist asked a question he did not like.

I would like to add that the fact that almost all of the McCanns English witnesses will be testifying by video conference shows that they either couldn't be bothered to travel to Portugal for them or that the McCanns didn't want to cough up the costs for their flights and accommodation.

As for court appearances, about 20 years ago, I was presented as a witness on behalf of the company I worked for in a dispute between some Swiss timeshare buyers and the company. I never understood why they wanted me to testify for them and was terrified at the prospect because I would be of no help whatsoever. Anyway, I really didn't have anything to fear because we went to Portimão courthouse 3 times and I never went further than the waiting room outside and never saw the inside of the courtroom. Never found out what the outcome was and I really didn't care since I didn't have to testify.

Thanks Carolina, I feel better now.LOL When the Mccanns first sued Amaral for E1.2 millions there were set amounts, so much for Kate, so much for Gerry and so much each for the twins, they even included Madeleine but her name was hastily withdrawn when it was brought to their attention that Madeleine is a Ward of Court and they are no longer her Guardians

From what you say about Pinto, between him and Duarte Levy, the Judges will need to be firm. The McCanns asked for a

videolink so I think if they are not going to appear in Court this must be granted, how else are they to be questioned by

either Amaral's Lawyer, or any of the Judges.?.

Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 30555
Age : 59
Location : Wales
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2010-03-27

Back to top Go down

Re: Libel case delay

Post  pennylane on Mon 10 Sep - 12:48

The End Is Nigh wrote:Sorry, P -- been out Gardening before the rain comes (It's here now!): But I see Carolina has expanded very well on my own thoughts and provided useful reminders of the background too. Bravo Carolina

I absolutely agree.... . bravo from me too Carolina....

pennylane
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Number of posts : 5351
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2010-03-10

Back to top Go down

Re: Libel case delay

Post  Oldartform on Mon 10 Sep - 16:48

Panda - have you seen this video of Pinto - although all in Portuguese, it`ll give you some idea what a bully and nutjob he is :-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHldj8eG80A&feature=relmfu


Oldartform
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Number of posts : 625
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2011-06-04

Back to top Go down

Re: Libel case delay

Post  fred on Mon 10 Sep - 17:04

Oldartform wrote:Panda - have you seen this video of Pinto - although all in Portuguese, it`ll give you some idea what a bully and nutjob he is :-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHldj8eG80A&feature=relmfu


Manuela, if she yawns she'd swallow her own head, how can one woman be so ugly? Thank God, she isn't on tv anymore. As for the chap, suprised he didn't spontaneous combust with that tirade.

fred
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Number of posts : 4845
Location : Dining in my back garden
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2009-08-25

Back to top Go down

Re: Libel case delay

Post  Panda on Mon 10 Sep - 17:20

Oldartform wrote:Panda - have you seen this video of Pinto - although all in Portuguese, it`ll give you some idea what a bully and nutjob he is :-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHldj8eG80A&feature=relmfu


Thanks Oldartform.....I did try to translate but it didn't work, no surprise there then.

Actually, Pinto does look quite aggressive and I just hope the Judges have control of the case and don't let him or Duarte

posture . I shall be away on the 20th if the case goes ahead , but will go to the Library where you can have internet use . If there is another delay I'll throw the computer through the window.!!!!

Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 30555
Age : 59
Location : Wales
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2010-03-27

Back to top Go down

Re: Libel case delay

Post  Oldartform on Mon 10 Sep - 17:23

fred wrote:
Oldartform wrote:Panda - have you seen this video of Pinto - although all in Portuguese, it`ll give you some idea what a bully and nutjob he is :-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHldj8eG80A&feature=relmfu


Manuela, if she yawns she'd swallow her own head, how can one woman be so ugly? Thank God, she isn't on tv anymore. As for the chap, suprised he didn't spontaneous combust with that tirade.

Oh Fred, that`s unkind - she`s not bad looking, probably just overdone the botox. Anyway at least she tried to get a few words in so you`ve got to give her credit for that.

Lets just hope that the 3 judges don`t let him get away with that sort of behaviour next week.


Oldartform
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Number of posts : 625
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2011-06-04

Back to top Go down

Re: Libel case delay

Post  fred on Mon 10 Sep - 18:00

Oldartform wrote:
fred wrote:
Oldartform wrote:Panda - have you seen this video of Pinto - although all in Portuguese, it`ll give you some idea what a bully and nutjob he is :-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHldj8eG80A&feature=relmfu


Manuela, if she yawns she'd swallow her own head, how can one woman be so ugly? Thank God, she isn't on tv anymore. As for the chap, suprised he didn't spontaneous combust with that tirade.

Oh Fred, that`s unkind - she`s not bad looking, probably just overdone the botox. Anyway at least she tried to get a few words in so you`ve got to give her credit for that.

Lets just hope that the 3 judges don`t let him get away with that sort of behaviour next week.


I know, I am unkind when it comes to Manuela, she is now persona non grata on PT telly, so it doesn't matter. I don't think Big Gob will be allowed that kind of behaviour in court TBH.

fred
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Number of posts : 4845
Location : Dining in my back garden
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2009-08-25

Back to top Go down

Re: Libel case delay

Post  AnnaEsse on Mon 10 Sep - 18:06

fred wrote:
Oldartform wrote:
fred wrote:
Oldartform wrote:Panda - have you seen this video of Pinto - although all in Portuguese, it`ll give you some idea what a bully and nutjob he is :-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHldj8eG80A&feature=relmfu


Manuela, if she yawns she'd swallow her own head, how can one woman be so ugly? Thank God, she isn't on tv anymore. As for the chap, suprised he didn't spontaneous combust with that tirade.

Oh Fred, that`s unkind - she`s not bad looking, probably just overdone the botox. Anyway at least she tried to get a few words in so you`ve got to give her credit for that.

Lets just hope that the 3 judges don`t let him get away with that sort of behaviour next week.


I know, I am unkind when it comes to Manuela, she is now persona non grata on PT telly, so it doesn't matter. I don't think Big Gob will be allowed that kind of behaviour in court TBH.

Imagine him and Gerry together. It would be like the Jeremy Kyle show!

_________________________________________________________________________________________________
"You can run on for a long time, Run on for a long time, Run on for a long time, Sooner or later God'll cut you down." (Johnny Cash)

AnnaEsse
Administrator
Administrator

Female
Number of posts : 18463
Age : 105
Location : Casa Nostra
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2009-09-23

http://frommybigdesk.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Libel case delay

Post  Oldartform on Mon 10 Sep - 18:28

AnnaEsse wrote:
fred wrote:
Oldartform wrote:
fred wrote:
Oldartform wrote:Panda - have you seen this video of Pinto - although all in Portuguese, it`ll give you some idea what a bully and nutjob he is :-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHldj8eG80A&feature=relmfu


Manuela, if she yawns she'd swallow her own head, how can one woman be so ugly? Thank God, she isn't on tv anymore. As for the chap, suprised he didn't spontaneous combust with that tirade.

Oh Fred, that`s unkind - she`s not bad looking, probably just overdone the botox. Anyway at least she tried to get a few words in so you`ve got to give her credit for that.

Lets just hope that the 3 judges don`t let him get away with that sort of behaviour next week.


I know, I am unkind when it comes to Manuela, she is now persona non grata on PT telly, so it doesn't matter. I don't think Big Gob will be allowed that kind of behaviour in court TBH.

Imagine him and Gerry together. It would be like the Jeremy Kyle show!

Yep, interesting how many arrogant loudmouths are on the dodgey side. Polar opposite of Goncalo who doesn`t have to overpower to get his point across - no need.


Oldartform
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Number of posts : 625
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2011-06-04

Back to top Go down

Re: Libel case delay

Post  fred on Mon 10 Sep - 18:29

Even Jeremy K wouldn't get a word in with those two. (Whiny Scot) Welllllll let me finish please, arrogant Portuguese, slamming fist on table....

fred
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Number of posts : 4845
Location : Dining in my back garden
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2009-08-25

Back to top Go down

Re: Libel case delay

Post  almostgothic on Mon 10 Sep - 18:31

It's like watching a big bloated bullying bullfrog on speed!



And the McCanns have him for a witness ...... ROFLMAO!


almostgothic
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Number of posts : 2945
Location : Lost in the barrio
Warning :
0 / 1000 / 100

Registration date : 2011-03-18

Back to top Go down

Re: Libel case delay

Post  Sponsored content Today at 22:12


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum