Missing Madeleine
Come join us...there's more inside you cannot see as a guest!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Missing Madeleine
Come join us...there's more inside you cannot see as a guest!
Missing Madeleine
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

McCanns ask for OUT OF COURT Settlement!

+18
almostgothic
joyce1938
nospinnaker
Carolina
cass
susible
Karen
dutchclogs
quickfingers
Palmeras16
Keela
marxman
Angelique
hobnob
interested
matthew
T4two
HiDeHo
22 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

McCanns ask for OUT OF COURT Settlement! - Page 3 Empty Re: McCanns ask for OUT OF COURT Settlement!

Post  quickfingers Fri 25 Jan - 15:31

Amaral has nothing to lose and everything to gain from the case going ahead. Why would he ask for its suspension? I don't believe he has any money or anything of value now.
quickfingers
quickfingers
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Number of posts : 661
Warning :
McCanns ask for OUT OF COURT Settlement! - Page 3 Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100McCanns ask for OUT OF COURT Settlement! - Page 3 Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2009-09-06

Back to top Go down

McCanns ask for OUT OF COURT Settlement! - Page 3 Empty Re: McCanns ask for OUT OF COURT Settlement!

Post  Guest Fri 25 Jan - 15:35

quickfingers wrote:Amaral has nothing to lose and everything to gain from the case going ahead. Why would he ask for its suspension? I don't believe he has any money or anything of value now.

I said much the same a few Posts ago, but it seems such patent truths are not palatable to those whose minds are made up.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri 25 Jan - 15:39

The End Is Nigh wrote:And have you looked at the previous Judgements in the Healy/McCann vs Amaral saga so far?

What flaws do you see that could be exploited by the Plaintiffs, in the light of what has gone before, to rack up a "win" in what is a Case with many features in common with previous efforts?

Unrealistic expectations on the part of the Plaintiffs, don't you think? Badly advised, perhaps, or just vexatious. Or both.

PS: Do you happen to know if Amaral's books have been returned yet? That particular news has passed me by.

Yes, they were. There was a picture of them all nicely wrapped in cling film (presumably to try and suffocate them) being delivered back to the publishers, this was some months ago.

McCanns ask for OUT OF COURT Settlement! - Page 3 Books

Eta = April 2012.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri 25 Jan - 15:43

Keela wrote:Goncalo will pay compensation to the McCanns? I don't think so. You are more likely to see camels on Dancing on Ice.

Oh FFS, don't tell us that Antonella Lazyarsi is getting tanned up in sequins and blades! I don't think my heart could stand it! McCanns ask for OUT OF COURT Settlement! - Page 3 294124
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri 25 Jan - 15:45

@Iris

Thanks - I'm afraid I'm a sporadic visitor here for one reason and another, so picking up everything is difficult.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  cass Fri 25 Jan - 15:47

could have clarrie and auntie phil in pink tu tus also McCanns ask for OUT OF COURT Settlement! - Page 3 477442
cass
cass
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Number of posts : 1654
Warning :
McCanns ask for OUT OF COURT Settlement! - Page 3 Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100McCanns ask for OUT OF COURT Settlement! - Page 3 Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2010-05-18

Back to top Go down

Post  Carolina Fri 25 Jan - 16:03

The End Is Nigh wrote:
Palmeras16 wrote:
The End Is Nigh wrote:Actually, logic dictates that Amaral, who has already lost much in his quest for the world to know the truth, is hardly likely to settle by compensating the Plaintiffs.
So what in your opinion is the likely outcome of these negotiations?

I've already stated that several times, the last occasion being in the very Post you have replied to: but I think he will either

a. Accept punitive damages allied with a public apology in all UK and Portuguese Media

or

b. Go to full Hearing

Personally, I'd prefer to see the latter.

But all of this presupposes that the culprits in the Madeleine Case are still at liberty.

So, having indulged you, perhaps you can answer whether you've read the PJ Files and the sequence of Judgements hitherto as asked in the Post you selectively quoted from?

Do you mean that GA would accept punitive damages and an apology from the McCanns or the other way around?
Carolina
Carolina
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Female
Number of posts : 874
Warning :

Registration date : 2009-08-24

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri 25 Jan - 16:14

Amaral the beneficiary, obviously. ( "...... he will either >> a. Accept .............." )

This is Justice, not the Healy & McCann factory of dreams!

Last edited by The End Is Nigh on Fri 25 Jan - 16:15; edited 1 time in total
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Carolina Fri 25 Jan - 16:15

Palmeras16 wrote:
Carolina wrote: This is a fact: The McCanns asked for the suspension and to negotiate, it was not Gonçalo who asked for it.

Please can you substantiate this "fact" with some concrete proof and I don't mean quoting ramblings from a blog or forum. Surely, logic dictates that GA approached the McCanns, perhaps on the advice of his new “hotshot” lawyer, to request an out of court settlement in order to negotiate a substantially lower figure than the € 1.2m compensation which they are claiming. The McCanns agreed to open negotiations and therefore requested an adjournment of the case. There is no doubt in my mind that GA will pay compensation to the McCanns, the only question is how much.

Carolina wrote:Some people can't see the truth even if it bit them. Delusional in my opinion.
At least on this we can agree.

Hernâni de Carvalho confirmed that the McCanns asked for the suspension and negotiation on television and in his article in TVMais. Also, I have other sources for this information which I can't divulge and it is not from blogs or fora. Normally and logically, it is the defendent who requests a settlement but in this case, it is the McCanns who requested it. It is not a matter of determining how much Gonçalo would be "willing to pay", money is not the issue with him, it's the truth as well as freedom of speech and opinion. He told the truth in his book and he isn't going to back down and say he didn't tell the truth when it isn't the case. In a few months we will see who has been delusional or not.

Last edited by Carolina on Fri 25 Jan - 16:18; edited 1 time in total
Carolina
Carolina
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  Carolina Fri 25 Jan - 16:16

The End Is Nigh wrote:Amaral the beneficiary, obviously. ( "...... he will either >> a. Accept .............." )

Thank you, it wasn't too clear in my head.
Carolina
Carolina
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri 25 Jan - 16:17

Hear, hear.

That's what the rest of us (bar one!) have been saying even without privileged knowledge.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri 25 Jan - 16:20

Carolina wrote:
The End Is Nigh wrote:Amaral the beneficiary, obviously. ( "...... he will either >> a. Accept .............." )

Thank you, it wasn't too clear in my head.

Well I haven't taken the Pink Pound! McCanns ask for OUT OF COURT Settlement! - Page 3 294124

Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  dutchclogs Fri 25 Jan - 18:11

devonmum wrote:I am wondering how the newspapers who settled with the McCanns feel right now?

One man, with right on his side has taken on the Mccanns and called their bluff. McCanns ask for OUT OF COURT Settlement! - Page 3 307691

Will the newspapers decide they want their pound of flesh anytime soon?

I do hope so

yes me too devonmum
dutchclogs
dutchclogs
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 1062
Warning :

Registration date : 2009-08-22

Back to top Go down

Post  Karen Sat 26 Jan - 8:25

UPDATE from Joana Morais

Gonçalo Amaral, quoted the following, by the Brazilian philosopher Paulo Freire (author of Pedagogy of the Oppressed) on January 19th: “If our option is progressive, if we are in favour of life and not death, of equity and not injustice, of correctness and not of fatalism, of the coexistence with the other and not of its denial, we do not have another path but live fully with our choice.”

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Excerpt from 'Querida Júlia' talk show, broadcast by SIC on 23. 01. 2013

Hênani Carvalho (HC) - The McCanns, Madeleine's parents, as you know, sued Gonçalo Amaral for defamation. On the eve of the trial they asked for an extrajudicial meeting with the various defendants. As you know the defendants are the coordinating inspector Gonçalo Amaral, TVI, Valentim de Carvalho and Guerra & Paz. They asked for an extrajudicial meeting. I wrote about that this week on TVmais.

Júlia Pinheiro (JP) - The issue is today on the news-stands.

HC - Exactly. The extrajudicial meetings close to the trials are common, but usually it's the defendant who proposes...

JP - The defendants, right?

HC - ... a solution out of court.

JP - Not the one that accuses [plaintiff], right?

HC - Let's see if this meeting will end in something, if it doesn't, at least it bought someone time, whomever that someone is.

JP - So, what do you think? Is this a delaying tactic, to win time?

Lower Third - 'McCann couple orders the suspension of the trial against Gonçalo Amaral'

HC - So far... the beginning of this trial has been postponed about two or three times already. The fact that all parties have agreed [on the extrajudicial meeting requested by the McCanns] led the judge to agree with the suspension of the trial, so everything will start in six months time with either an extrajudicial solution or with the trial.

JP - Unfortunately, without knowing anything about Maddie McCann. That's the issue that doesn't move forward, it doesn't progress anymore.

HC - About that, there is something that we do know, she disappeared from Praia da Luz, that night, from that apartment.

JP - And she was never seen again. Let's move to...

HC - She was seen various times.

JP - Recently I haven't seen anything about the sightings.

HC - There was another one, just a few days ago she “appeared” [ref. Brazilian Hoax/Daily Express].

JP - Really?

HC - Yes, but I have had enough of that championship [circus].
Karen
Karen
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Female
Number of posts : 635
Warning :

Registration date : 2010-03-26

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat 26 Jan - 8:38

" ................... live fully with our choice"

Sounds as if his commitment is as firm as ever.

So yesterday's flutter of panic from the other side (In this very Thread) may now be giving way to lots of foot-stamping.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  susible Sat 26 Jan - 8:52

Palmeras16 wrote:“I do hope that any financial settlement in Amaral's favour comes along with a public apology” – don’t waste your time on false hope. GA will have to pay the McCanns a considerable amount in compensation. Wait and see.
“One man, with right on his side has taken on the Mccanns and called their bluff” – no he hasn’t
“i think the tide is turning” – no it isn’t
“I do so hope that this is a McCann cave-in and not GA” – see above re: false hope

Lol...Why on earth would he have to pay them anything, his book was based on the case files, there was nothing in those files that was not a statement of fact. The only reason (IMO) that the McCanns managed to swan off, scot free, is that there was not enough concrete evidence to convict them in Portugal (though it would have been enough in the UK)

And as Goncalo Amaral has firmly stood by his beliefs over the intervening years, he's obviously not going to settle out of court, he has not maligned the McCanns in the way they claim he has...don't forget all the nonsense about harming the search etc when the reality is that there have been all of the alleged sightings during that period...makes their claim a pile of poop..And that's just one of their ridiculous claims.

I hope that Dr Amaral insists it goes to trial, the Mc's will lose and then I hope he will counter sue them, that would be justice served properly.
susible
susible
Reg Member
Reg Member

Number of posts : 282
Warning :

Registration date : 2011-07-16

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat 26 Jan - 9:07

McCanns ask for OUT OF COURT Settlement! - Page 3 307691 McCanns ask for OUT OF COURT Settlement! - Page 3 307691
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Lillyofthevalley Sat 26 Jan - 9:48

Dr Amaral has patiently waited all these years for this, I'm sure a few more months wont bother him too much, unlike the Mcs they will be McCanns ask for OUT OF COURT Settlement! - Page 3 540205
Lillyofthevalley
Lillyofthevalley
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Number of posts : 1552
Warning :

Registration date : 2009-08-20

Back to top Go down

Post  cass Sat 26 Jan - 10:22

double doses of immodium needed lilly -- thing is this wont ever go away back in 2007 they all thought as soon as the gont back to the uk on safe ground they were safe -- did they think that it would still be a hot topic -- i dont think so -- they created this and it will go on -- they are not having it their own way now -- the biggest thing that happened was the u turn on the book ban -- the files became public and it was down hill from there -- now i am on the fence re if there will ever be justice for madeline -- some days i think they will face big questions and other days i think they are still home and dry -- over the last week or two i now feel some sort of justice could come -- the internet is a wonderful thing -- and without ga tony and the internet -- all this would have been burried
cass
cass
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Number of posts : 1654
Warning :

Registration date : 2010-05-18

Back to top Go down

Post  Carolina Sat 26 Jan - 11:59

Oh, the irony of it all. The McCanns had Gonçalo Amaral's assets frozen in order to strangle him financially and force him to agree to an out of court settlement. Now, it is the McCanns who are backed into the corner and are asking for a suspension and settlement. What goes around comes around.
Carolina
Carolina
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  nospinnaker Sat 26 Jan - 12:26

While the latest developments come as a bit of a surprise, what with the chappie running off to Brazil, the Fund's accounts being late, Kate donating her million quid, the Brazil/Ibiza sighting, and now learning that the McCanns want to do a deal, maybe we are being a little premature in celebrating the doctors' downfall.

It's been posted elsewhere that maybe the McLawyers want to offer Dr Amaral some sort of deal that would drop the claim for 1.2 million quid, pay his lawyers' fees and in return ask for his continued silence and the withdrawal of his book. That would free Dr Amaral of the uncertainty and stress that would accompany the hearing - while he seems to have a very good case to a layman like me one never knows with courts and lawyers. He could then, perhaps, get on with his life, they may think. Naturally that would achieve what the McCanns really want - removal of the threat of further adverse publicity from Dr Amaral - and it would undermine the cases of his co-defendants. It may well prejudice Mr Bennett's legal troubles, too. The McCanns' legal team have placed Dr Amaral under great pressure and just possibly they reckon it's enough to make him give way. It's not justice as I know it, but it's life in the harsh reality of the legal world.

Hopefully I'm wrong, but I bet I'm not. Maybe the details are wrong but the outline will be something like that.

All the rest of it - Brazil, accounts, book etc., is just the usual smoke 'n mirrors trick so frequently wielded by TM.
nospinnaker
nospinnaker
Reg Member
Reg Member

Number of posts : 188
Warning :

Registration date : 2009-11-08

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat 26 Jan - 12:33

No, he has clearly said he will pursue the original goal.

It's in one of the other current Threads ..... give me a minute and I'll find it.

See Post in this Thread by Karen @ 08.25: End of paragraph one.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  devonmum Sat 26 Jan - 12:37

I don't for one minute believe that GA will accept being gagged .

He has fought long and hard for the freedom of expression, he would not give up on that now, it has cost him way too much along the way
devonmum
devonmum
Reg Member
Reg Member

Number of posts : 185
Warning :

Registration date : 2009-09-18

Back to top Go down

Post  joyce1938 Sat 26 Jan - 12:49

I wonder why amaral agreed to waite 6 months before he can go to court ,if that is what he would prefer to get it all done and dusted ,cant see him saying as part of settlement that he would not ever speak of his book and what he has stated in that book,i would be most surprised if he settled that way . maybe there is a lot we dont know of the advantage of waiting longer ,looks like it had to be agreed by am lawyer.I am sure poor man is tired to bits after all that he has suffered over the years,has he had more than enough ?or has he still fight left to continue ? i do hope so .joyce1938
joyce1938
joyce1938
Elite Member
Elite Member

Number of posts : 345
Warning :

Registration date : 2009-12-26

Back to top Go down

Post  almostgothic Sat 26 Jan - 13:02

They have taken away from him not just his money, but everything he holds dear.
Everything they have done to him, he should do to them, threefold.
I hope he goes ahead with the trial which they cannot win because that would finish off their cruel games forever - and then counter sue them.
If he doesn't, then I hope he takes them for every penny, and yes, even their house (because that is what they would do to the likes of him). Without any gagging proviso and with a demand for profuse public apologies from everyone who has bad-mouthed him.

Without money they have no power. No more extortionate, devious lawyers, no more slimy, underhand PRs and astroturfers. The spell is broken - they are NOTHING.
almostgothic
almostgothic
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Number of posts : 2945
Warning :

Registration date : 2011-03-18

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next