Missing Madeleine
Come join us...there's more inside you cannot see as a guest!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Missing Madeleine
Come join us...there's more inside you cannot see as a guest!
Missing Madeleine
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Parents who Kill - Interesting reading

2 posters

Go down

Parents who Kill - Interesting reading Empty Parents who Kill - Interesting reading

Post  Guest Wed 14 Jan - 5:36

Parents Who Kill - From US Time website circa 1994 (I have omitted the more horrifying details)

The drama was familiar, and so, tragically, was its conclusion. Three days before Susan Smith reported her children abducted, 24-year-old Pauline Zile told police that while she and her daughter Christina Holt were at the Swap Shop flea market just west of Fort Lauderdale, Florida, the seven-year-old had disappeared from a stall in the ladies' room. For five days, Zile played the terrified mother on television, weeping and running her fingers through the hair of one of her daughter's dolls. A massive hunt for the little girl commenced.
Then on Oct. 27, the truth emerged. Police had searched Zile's apartment and discovered blood. She had implicated her husband John, who led them to a 5- ft.-deep grave behind a local K Mart. Christina had never been to the Swap Shop. One night six weeks before her "disappearance," police affidavits report, John had beaten her on the body and face as her mother watched. John later added that Pauline joined in the beating. When Christina started screaming, he stopped her mouth with a towel. When she choked and went into seizures, he says, he tried to perform CPR, unsuccessfully. The couple kept her corpse in a closet for four days. Last Friday, just 17 hours after South Carolina police shocked the nation with the announcement that they were taking Susan Smith in for murdering her children, Pauline Zile, like her husband, was also charged with murder.
If only to maintain our faith in ourselves and our families, we are honor bound to believe each tearful young mother, to pray for the dog-and-helicopter searches and to wear psychological, if not literal, yellow ribbons. But even as we do so, again and again, we are coming to realize that the climax of such searches is seldom a tearful reunion or even an apprehended bad guy. Far more often, it is a recanting, a tormented regression from "she was stolen" to "she fell" to "I may have dropped her" to "I hit her with a big rock."
Not all abduction stories are fiction, of course. Seared in the memory of America is the kidnapping nightmare that ended in the death of Polly Klaas in Northern California last December. But we also remember the story of Paula Sims, who went public in 1986 about the "disappearance" of her daughter Loralei and, three years later, her daughter Heather, and is now serving a life sentence in connection with their murders. And then there was the case of Diane Downs, the Springfield, Oregon, mother who claimed in May 1983 that a stranger waved down her car on a deserted road and shot her and her three children, killing seven-year-old daughter Cheryl Lynn. She too is now in jail for life, convicted of murder.

The statistics on parents who kill their kids vary, measured on different scales, gauging not only infanticide but other social ills as well. The FBI's most recent statistics indicate that in 1992, 662 children under the age of five were murdered. Ernest Allen, president of the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children, estimates that about two-thirds of those victims were killed by one or both of their parents. These figures, however, do not tell the whole story. The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services calculates that in 1992 about 1,100 children died from abuse or neglect. Far more common than the sensational murders in Union County are the smaller deceptions practiced by mothers who claim that abused or neglected children died of Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS) or accidents. They are also far more perfect crimes. Charles Ewing, a law and psychology professor at the State University of New York at Buffalo, estimates that only half the country's abuse deaths are uncovered.

Dr. Michael Durfee, a child psychiatrist with the Los Angeles County Department of Health Services and a leading expert in the area, believes that men are more often responsible than women for killing offspring under 12 -- a contention borne out by state and local statistics. Durfee and other experts agree that the younger the victim, the greater the chance that his or her mother is the culprit, if only because mothers are still America's primary care givers during infancy. The Smith case is typical in that, says Dr. Randell Alexander, a child-abuse expert at the University of Iowa Medical School, "if you get a more elaborate cover-up, that's mainly a female domain."
One of the most disturbing aspects of these deaths, experts say, is that they are preventable. After the Zile murder was revealed, Palm Beach County assistant state attorney Scott Cupp, who heads the Crimes Against Children Unit, exploded: "We're burying too many kids who died at the hands of their parents. We need to be taking more of them out of these homes before this happens. I'm tired of it, sick of it. A lot of these kids could have been saved. Yet so often society doesn't pay attention to the signs." Murder "is usually not the first assault on the child," explains Jill Korbin, an anthropology professor at Case Western Reserve University and author of a study of women incarcerated for deadly child abuse. "These women often let others know about incidents of abuse prior to the fatal incident. But many times, the seriousness of the incidents isn't recognized."
Yet for all the cases of prior abuse, premeditation of the sort Smith is accused of is atypical. Says Suzanne Barnard, a social worker with the $ children's division of the American Humane Association: "I don't think most parents who murder children wake up in the morning and say, 'This is the day I'm going to kill my kids.' " Dewey Cornell, a clinical psychologist at the University of Virginia, says, "Usually one thing leads to another, and the problem escalates to the point where eventually the person caves in under the pressure and stress."

That leaves plenty of room to speculate, however, about what the "one thing" and "another" may be. On a psychological level, there are as many preferred diagnoses as diagnosticians. Says Cornell: "Most typically this is in the context of a woman who is severely depressed and may also be suicidal." Indeed, that seems to be the case with Smith. Other doctors are inclined to cite psychosis or postpartum depression.

The genre's more gothic cases include that of an Atlanta woman who smothered four of her children, one each time her husband threatened to leave her. Her behavior has been ascribed to Munchausen's syndrome by proxy, in which mothers secretly make their children sick to win attention. Originally the authorities had concluded that the deaths were caused by SIDS.
When the social roots of parental killing are at issue, however, the experts speak nearly unanimously. Susan Hiatt, the director of the Kempe National Center for the Prevention and Treatment of Child Abuse and Neglect in Denver, explains that "generally parents who kill their children tend to be under a lot of stress. They may be very young and not ready for the demands of parenthood. In all likelihood they are socially isolated and do not have a large social net. They may have been victims of violence themselves." Says Durfee: "The parents commonly have a history of previous violence, social isolation, substance abuse and poverty."

It is this consensus on the problem's social causes that enables those who study it to attain a sympathy for potential Smiths and Ziles that may elude other Americans. For every infant murdered, they say, there is another saved by the intervention of community health professionals and protective-services workers. Says Cornell: "The major message from this is to try to appreciate how important it is to educate people and help them to become better parents." Barnard remembers meeting with a woman in Colorado who had killed her infant child. "She had substance-abuse and mental-illness problems. Her husband had left. She felt that she had no future and that the child had no future. I asked if she knew about all the ways she could get help, from public assistance to family members. She didn't know. She had been abused herself." Barnard sighs. "I felt profound sadness and helplessness. I had access to lots of resources, but we hadn't connected in time."

Last week's arrest in South Carolina may have been shocking, but the fact is that infanticide is not new to this country. What is remarkable is that America, which 30 years ago did not talk openly about cancer and 15 years ago was leery of the subject of abuse, is still reluctant to believe that such tragedies can happen. Says Hazelwood: "It happens in families where there's no history of violence and where there's a long history of violence. It crosses racial lines, socioeconomic lines. It's not black, Hispanic or white, rich or poor. It's a horror that we as a society are going to be confronted with again and again."
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Parents who Kill - Interesting reading Empty Murdered Children: In Most Cases, a Parent Did It

Post  Guest Wed 14 Jan - 5:38

It seems an unthinkable crime: mothers killing their children. But statistics show that in the United States, when young children are slain, the parents are usually their murderers. And in the past two weeks alone, three mothers have been charged either with killing their children or conspiring with the men in their lives to do so.

In Union, S.C., Susan V. Smith's tearful pleas to the man she said had driven away with her two young sons brought national publicity, but the local police said on Thursday that she had confessed to killing them. Yesterday she was charged with their murder.

In South Florida, the police undertook a five-day search after Pauline Zile reported her 7-year-old daughter missing from a shop near Fort Lauderdale on Oct. 22. But after the girl's body was found on Oct. 27, Mrs. Zile told the police that she had concocted the abduction story to cover up the beating death of the girl, Christina Holt, at the hands of her husband, Walter John Zile, who was Christina's stepfather. Mrs. Zile was charged with murder yesterday in the girl's beating death.

And last week, the police in San Jacinto, Calif., charged Dona Buenrostro with killing her three children: Susana, 9; Vicente, 8, and Diedra, 4. Mrs. Buenrostro had initially accused her estranged husband, with whom she was having a bitter custody battle, but the police determined that he had reported to work 100 miles away at the time of the children's death.

A recent Justice Department study of 8,063 homicides in urban areas found that parents were charged in 57 percent of the murders of children under 12. The study said such deaths usually followed a pattern of child abuse; in 80 percent of the cases, the parent who killed a child had also abused that child. There is no known history of abuse in the case of the Smith children.

Several advocates for missing or abducted children said yesterday that they feared that the public would now be skeptical of all reports of kidnappings in the aftermath of apparent hoaxes.

One of the most celebrated cases involving false kidnapping claims was in 1983, when Diane Downs told the police in Springfield, Ore., that a "bushy-haired stranger" had waved down her car on a deserted road and shot her three children. Her 7-year-old daughter died, and a son and another daughter remain badly disabled. Ms. Downs, who was convicted of murder, is serving a life sentence.

But it is particularly rare for parents to concoct stories of stranger abductions, as Mrs. Smith and Mrs. Zile are accused of doing.

Richard J. Gelles, a professor of sociology and psychology at the University of Rhode Island who is an expert on family violence, says the National Committee to Prevent Child Abuse estimates that 700 mothers kill their children each year. But only 50 or so fabricate tales of abductions, he said, citing figures from the National Center on Missing and Exploited Children in Washington.

While details of Mrs. Smith's case are still emerging, several prosecutors, lawyers and psychologists who have studied why mothers kill their children point to several common factors. They include depression, emotional strains like financial troubles or custody disputes, a history of child abuse, a need for attention on the mother's part or a destructive relationship with a man.

Dr. Michael Solomon, a psychiatrist at the Northwestern University Medical School, says that in recent years he has examined many women charged with killing children while directing a forensic program at the University of Virginia. In many cases, he said, the mother was mentally ill. "I've seen several women who at other times were good, responsible caring mothers who had very severe depression with hallucinations," he said.

Dr. Solomon and several other experts, including Dr. Julie Blackman, a psychologist who is writing a book about mothers who have killed their children, said some mothers appeared to be at least partly motivated by a need for attention and for publicity and sympathy that arise from false claims. But this condition, known as Munchausen-by-proxy, more often appears in mothers who have induced illness in their children, not killed them.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Parents who Kill - Interesting reading Empty Re: Parents who Kill - Interesting reading

Post  Guest Wed 14 Jan - 5:38

Marjory Fisher, bureau chief of the Queens District Attorney's special victims bureau, who has prosecuted child abuse cases for more than 12 years, said that in many of those cases, a mother's male companion had killed the child, but the mother either did not intervene or tried to cover up for the man.

Several cases involve battered women who are too intimidated by the men to protect the children, as in the case of the beating death of Lisa Steinberg in front of her mother, Hedda Nussbaum.

Mrs. Zile's lawyer, Ellis Rubin, told reporters yesterday that she was a battered wife under her husband's control. "I pray that everyone who ever knew and will know me will forgive me for not being a strong person and eventually will trust me again," Mrs. Zile said in a statement Thursday.

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9B01E0D8153EF936A35752C1A962958260&sec=health&spon=&pagewanted=2
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Parents who Kill - Interesting reading Empty Re: Parents who Kill - Interesting reading

Post  Guest Wed 14 Jan - 9:30

Very interesting reading it. But i still dont get it..... How parents kill their own children
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed 14 Jan - 16:49

Anybody think Kate did this to Maddie because of depression? Or maybe becasue she wanted Gerry's attention??
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  pm Wed 14 Jan - 17:40

eddie wrote:Anybody think Kate did this to Maddie because of depression? Or maybe becasue she wanted Gerry's attention??

i vote for the acident, lost of control, a crack in the face and Maddie´s head hit the corner of the wall

my questions are:

why she wanted to hit Maddie

if was an acident why she didn´t said the true, called 991, ambulance and so on and so on

why they began the mediatic circus and the 10000000000000000 lies
pm
pm
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 4300
Location : Cave of the MOUNTAIN OF THE 3RD WORLD - PORTUGAL - St Gerald i am sending your goats to you again
Warning :
Parents who Kill - Interesting reading Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Parents who Kill - Interesting reading Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2008-07-21

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed 14 Jan - 17:47

pm wrote:
eddie wrote:Anybody think Kate did this to Maddie because of depression? Or maybe becasue she wanted Gerry's attention??

i vote for the acident, lost of control, a crack in the face and Maddie´s head hit the corner of the wall

my questions are:

if was an acident why she didn´t said the true, called 991, ambulance and so on and so on

Good evening Paula

Are you finished work for the day? Is Ana any better?

You have raised some good questions in this post.

Do you remember a rumour a while back about the manager of Mark Warner and another employee, who were supposed to have heard Kate screaming and shouting and Madeleine's voice also, in the apt that evening, around six o clock? Then all in the apt went quiet ....
I can't remember reading any interviews that developed on this.
I was wondering was it just another forum rumour.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  pm Wed 14 Jan - 17:51

Erin wrote:
pm wrote:

my questions are:

Good evening Paula

Do you remember a rumour a while back about the manager of Mark Warner and another employee, who were supposed to have heard Kate screaming and shouting and Madeleine's voice also, in the apt that evening, around six o clock? Then all in the apt went quiet ....

Hello Erin, hope you and your family are well

I am at home with Ana, so no work for me at the factory this week

she is a little better but now she has her body with spots

is not a rumour is a FACT

several witness said that to PJ during the oficial interviews

They heard screams inside the apart and sudently ...nothing!

it is also in Amaral´s book
pm
pm
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Location : Cave of the MOUNTAIN OF THE 3RD WORLD - PORTUGAL - St Gerald i am sending your goats to you again
Warning :
Parents who Kill - Interesting reading Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Parents who Kill - Interesting reading Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed 14 Jan - 17:56

pm wrote:
Erin wrote:
pm wrote:

my questions are:

Good evening Paula

Hello Erin, hope you and your family are well

I am at home with Ana, so no work for me at the factory this week

she is a little better but now she has her body with spots

is not a rumour is a FACT

several witness said that to PJ during the oficial interviews

They heard screams inside the apart and sudently ...nothing!

it is also in Amaral´s book

Maybe she will start to get better now that her body has broken out in the rash. You are right to stay at home with her, children need their mother when they are sick. We don't always have a choice unfortunately, but if you are able to stay with them, you should.

Well well well Parents who Kill - Interesting reading 303636 so that wasn't a rumour. I just hadn't heard/read about it since.
I will have to wait until I get the book until I read more about it.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  pm Wed 14 Jan - 17:59

Erin (i need to use to this username)

somewhere here you can read the book in English...erm, my english

i made a translation

And Claudia did also and her english is super

Later, ask Amber, she knows where it is
pm
pm
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed 14 Jan - 18:06

pm wrote:Erin (i need to use to this username)

i made a translation

Thanks Paula. :Hug1:

I assume the book will be released here in Ireland, if its going to be in the UK by the summer, surely we will have it too??
I hope so anyway.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed 14 Jan - 19:39

pm wrote:

my questions are:

mothers lose patience all the time. one day it can land em in trouble and thats what happened here
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Susan Wed 14 Jan - 20:51

i made a translation

Well that would be in the AMARAL section wouldnt it you silly woman!!! Parents who Kill - Interesting reading 911264

https://missingmadeleine.forumotion.net/amaral-f8/
Susan
Susan
Administrator
Administrator

Female
Number of posts : 11477
Location : Spain. The place where children are welcome in tapas bars
Warning :

https://missingmadeleine.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  pm Wed 14 Jan - 21:08

Ambersuz wrote:

i made a translation

Well that would be in the AMARAL section wouldnt it you silly woman!!! Parents who Kill - Interesting reading 911264

Erin, Amber is calling you silly!
pm
pm
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed 14 Jan - 22:09

pm wrote:
Ambersuz wrote:

i made a translation

Erin, Amber is calling you silly!

I'm a big girl! I can take it! LOL :risas:
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down