Missing Madeleine
Come join us...there's more inside you cannot see as a guest!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Missing Madeleine
Come join us...there's more inside you cannot see as a guest!
Missing Madeleine
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sky News Report

+9
fred
wjk
jassi
comperedna
MaryB
Angelina
weissnicht
DavidA
margaret
13 posters

Go down

Sky News Report Empty Sky News Report

Post  Panda Thu 24 Oct - 0:14

http://news.sky.com/story/1158880/madeleine-mccann-portugal-cops-may-open-case

Would someone like to open this, there is a photo of Madeleine ...not the one in the red dress.!!!!
Panda
Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 30555
Warning :
Sky News Report Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Sky News Report Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2010-03-27

Back to top Go down

Sky News Report Empty Re: Sky News Report

Post  Panda Thu 24 Oct - 0:53

Sky News have just reported that Portugese Television has reported on this and Oporto want to "clear up some anomolies". I think whatever they have found is considered important enough and maybe they have a definite suspect. The McCanns are said to be delighted that the case will be re-opened.
Panda
Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  margaret Thu 24 Oct - 9:45

Madeleine McCann: Portugal Cops May Open Case

Officers have been reviewing the case and have identified a number of issues they wish to clarify, say sources.

Portuguese police are to request that the Madeleine McCann investigation be reopened, according to local media.

Police in Oporto have been reviewing the case and have identified a number of issues they wish to clarify, an unnamed police source was quoted as saying.

The team of officers is said to have had no involvement in the original Portuguese police investigation which ended in 2008 and was heavily criticised in the British media.

Sky's Tom Parmenter said: "From what we understand the decision by the Portuguese is one for them to make alone, and their decision to reconsider opening the investigation is something that has come through their work rather than necessarily the work carried out by officers based here."

Carrie-Marie Bratley, who works for the Portugal News in Lagoa, in the Algarve, said the officers "were chosen for their emotional and physical distance from this case in the hope that maybe they could go over it with a fine-tooth comb and come up with something, which it seems they may have done".

Reopening the case would allow them "to talk to people who are maybe of interest that were possibly overlooked during the original investigation", she said.

She told Sky News: "There are people who are extremely supportive of the McCanns, there are people who are extremely sympathetic ... and they are very much interested in this case.

"As you have those people who for whatever reason may have become slightly desensitised, whether that is because they fear for the reputation of the region that they live in, whether it's just because they're frustrated that there's been no concrete outcomes, no answers to this.

"It very much remains a mystery," she added.

The move to re-examine the case in the country where Madeleine went missing - which the Metropolitan Police have always said they would welcome - comes after a fresh appeal for information was aired in the UK, Holland and Germany.

Scotland Yard received more than 2,400 phone calls from across Europe following the broadcast of a reconstruction of events leading up to the three-year-old's disappearance in 2007.
Kate and Gerry McCann pose with a computer generated image of how their missing daughter Madeleine might look now, during a news conference in London The McCanns have never given up hope of finding their daughter alive

A spokesman for the McCanns reportedly said the change of heart may be partly due to publicity surrounding the case after the fresh appeal - and the recent discovery of an allegedly abducted blonde girl, known as Maria, who was found living with a Roma family in Greece.

"Kate and Gerry don’t want to get their hopes up too much. But if the Portuguese do resume their investigation it would be a significant development and an important step forward," the Daily Mirror reported the spokesman as saying.

British police say their review of the case suggests it was a premeditated abduction, with their focus turning towards a man seen carrying a child at about the same time Madeleine was found to be missing from the family's holiday apartment.

Detectives have released two e-fit images of a man they want to speak to in connection with the case based on the accounts of two witnesses.

Both described seeing him in Praia da Luz on the evening of May 3, as Madeleine's parents dined at a nearby tapas restaurant with friends.

Four other e-fits based on witness accounts of men seen in the area, some of whom may have been working as "charity collectors" who may or may not be genuine, were also released.

An appeal is due to air on Irish television later this month.
margaret
margaret
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 4406
Warning :

Registration date : 2009-08-25

Back to top Go down

Post  Angelina Thu 24 Oct - 9:52

Panda wrote:Sky News have just reported that Portugese Television has reported on this and Oporto want to "clear up some anomolies". I think whatever they have found is considered important enough and maybe they have a definite suspect. The McCanns are said to be delighted that the case will be re-opened.

Why didn't they stop it being closed 6 years ago then?
Angelina
Angelina
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Number of posts : 2933
Warning :

Registration date : 2008-08-01

Back to top Go down

Post  kitti Thu 24 Oct - 10:12

Funny that a Roma camp was raided in Ireland when the mccanns are due there.

Shame the girl has been proven to be who the parents say she is otherwise the mccanns would off been on roll then.

I still think someone has been 'send out' to find a blond girl in a Romany camp and they were told...'and don't come back till you found one'.

They prob got the idea from the Greek story only they got disappointed as the media started to concentrate on Ben Needham...and that just won't do so they moved on' and found their very own, accidentally off course, blond child in ROMANY camp in Ireland.

kitti
kitti
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 13400
Warning :

Registration date : 2009-06-21

Back to top Go down

Post  DavidA Thu 24 Oct - 10:37

Panda wrote:http://news.sky.com/story/1158880/madeleine-mccann-portugal-cops-may-open-case

Would someone like to open this, there is a photo of Madeleine ...not the one in the red dress.!!!!
It is interesting that the 2nd e-fit picture (that has similar face size to Gerry) has been put directly above where Gerry is in the photo of both Mccanns. Did they intentionally make it so that scrolling up and down gives a direct comparison?

Also, it is interesting that the two e-fit photos are over a beach. It was said before that if someone wanted to lose a body, then the sea would be a probable place.

Maybe this is coincidence, or maybe some of the media are preparing for or suggesting something else?

DavidA
DavidA
Elite Member
Elite Member

Number of posts : 385
Warning :

Registration date : 2009-09-25

Back to top Go down

Post  Panda Thu 24 Oct - 10:43

DavidA wrote:
Panda wrote:http://news.sky.com/story/1158880/madeleine-mccann-portugal-cops-may-open-case

It is interesting that the 2nd e-fit picture (that has similar face size to Gerry) has been put directly above where Gerry is in the photo of both Mccanns. Did they intentionally make it so that scrolling up and down gives a direct comparison?

Also, it is interesting that the two e-fit photos are over a beach. It was said before that if someone wanted to lose a body, then the sea would be a probable place.

Maybe this is coincidence, or maybe some of the media are preparing for or suggesting something else?

Redwood gave a two-line speech earlier this morning and it seems as though Oporto are going this alone, it is not a joint venture. I find that quite significant.
Panda
Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  weissnicht Thu 24 Oct - 10:48

Angelina wrote:
Panda wrote:Sky News have just reported that Portugese Television has reported on this and Oporto want to "clear up some anomolies". I think whatever they have found is considered important enough and maybe they have a definite suspect. The McCanns are said to be delighted that the case will be re-opened.
So far as I understood, mccanns demanded the shelving, they didn't want to keep it open.
weissnicht
weissnicht
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Number of posts : 851
Warning :

Registration date : 2009-09-10

Back to top Go down

Post  Angelina Thu 24 Oct - 10:58

weissnicht wrote:
Angelina wrote:
So far as I understood, mccanns demanded the shelving, they didn't want to keep it open.
Oh, never heard that before...just that they could have prevented it being closed/shelved.
Angelina
Angelina
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Number of posts : 2933
Warning :

Registration date : 2008-08-01

Back to top Go down

Post  Panda Thu 24 Oct - 11:00

weissnicht wrote:
Angelina wrote:
You are right weissnicht , the McCanns had a couple of months to appeal but they didn't . Oporto has made it clear this has nothing to do with SY and bumbling Redwood so I don't expect any Efits to be part of their findings. I think now the timelines have changed their "anomalies" will be centred around the Tapas 9 statements which are all over the place.
Panda
Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  MaryB Thu 24 Oct - 11:15

Surely it must all rest on who was where at 9.55. That is if the person the Smith's saw was the person who took Madeleine.
MaryB
MaryB
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Number of posts : 1581
Warning :

Registration date : 2009-09-15

Back to top Go down

Post  comperedna Thu 24 Oct - 11:24

Panda, can you expand a bit on what you think is the significance of Oporto 'going it alone'. Do you mean that the relationship between them and Redwood is poor or that it is irrelevant to what they want to do?
comperedna
comperedna
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Number of posts : 865
Warning :

Registration date : 2009-08-24

Back to top Go down

Post  jassi Thu 24 Oct - 11:31

Panda wrote:
weissnicht wrote:
Angelina wrote:
You are right weissnicht , the McCanns had a couple of months to appeal but they didn't . Oporto has made it clear this has nothing to do with SY and bumbling Redwood so I don't expect any Efits to be part of their findings. I think now the timelines have changed their "anomalies" will be centred around the Tapas 9 statements which are all over the place.
Can we anticipate a Rotherly Towers summit just to straighten out these anomolies ?
jassi
jassi
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Number of posts : 911
Warning :

Registration date : 2009-08-21

Back to top Go down

Post  fred Thu 24 Oct - 11:40

jassi wrote:
Panda wrote:
weissnicht wrote:
Angelina wrote:
Can we anticipate a Rotherly Towers summit just to straighten out these anomolies ?
Written on the back of one of the twins school books?
fred
fred
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Number of posts : 4927
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  kitti Thu 24 Oct - 12:06

If I remember, Mitchell said the mccanns welcome the archiving off the case which means they can now employ their own defectives.
kitti
kitti
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  wjk Thu 24 Oct - 12:10

Yep, that's what I remember kitti.
wjk
wjk
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 7815
Warning :

Registration date : 2009-08-20

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu 24 Oct - 12:29

weissnicht wrote:
Angelina wrote:
I think that is actually in GAs book somewhere.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Panda Thu 24 Oct - 12:42

comperedna wrote:Panda, can you expand a bit on what you think is the significance of Oporto 'going it alone'.  Do you mean that the relationship between them and Redwood is poor or that it is irrelevant to what they want to do?
The Portugese are p***ed off with the McCann saga which has had a big effect on tourism and too much interference from the U,K. When Redwood took up the reins it was a "review" and I suspect Oporto was sidelined although this new team were meant to work with SY. Then it was decided to investigate and there were no joint statements , he hogged the limelight . This is why I think Oporto will ignore Redwood as he has ignored them and only tell the Court in private why they feel a re-opening of the case will bring results because they know Redwood keeps the McCanns informed.
Panda
Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  Panda Thu 24 Oct - 12:48

Iris wrote:
weissnicht wrote:
Angelina wrote:
I don't think that's right. The Portugese decided to shelve the case because it was going nowhere and the McCanns had 2 months to appeal the decision , which they didn't, yet a couple of years later they wanted the case re-opened. If it wasn't for Cameron, Prime Minister don't forget , the case would still have been shelved.
Panda
Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  fred Thu 24 Oct - 12:56

Panda wrote:
Iris wrote:
weissnicht wrote:
Angelina wrote:
I don't think that's right. The Portugese decided to shelve the case because it was going nowhere and the McCanns had 2 months to appeal the decision , which they didn't, yet a couple of years later  they wanted the case re-opened. If it wasn't for Cameron, Prime Minister don't forget , the case would still have been shelved.
That is how I understand it too!
fred
fred
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Number of posts : 4927
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  jeanmonroe Thu 24 Oct - 13:28

Panda wrote:
Iris wrote:
weissnicht wrote:
Angelina wrote:
I don't think that's right. The Portugese decided to shelve the case because it was going nowhere and the McCanns had 2 months to appeal the decision , which they didn't, yet a couple of years later  they wanted the case re-opened. If it wasn't for Cameron, Prime Minister don't forget , the case would still have been shelved.
Er, the McCanns were not so 'keen' to get the case re-opened!

GA.
"To ask for the process to be reopened, all it would take is a letter to the Prosecutor, as it has already happened in so many other cases. It costs them nothing, just the stamp on the letter."
GA.
"A book that is written by someone who was a suspect may become of use as a document, maybe even a piece of documental evidence. Let us wait," he added.
...........................................................................................

Maybe what KM wrote in her book may be the 'anomalies' the PJ want to clear up!
jeanmonroe
jeanmonroe
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Number of posts : 1041
Warning :

Registration date : 2011-07-27

Back to top Go down

Post  Panda Thu 24 Oct - 14:10

Martin Brunt being interviewed says the Senior Portugese Detectives have been huddled in Oporto for the last 15 months and he emphasised their investigation is in parallel, not joint ,with the SY investigation. The Portugese had to get permission from the Portugese Attorney General this morning.

SY say they will continue with their own investigation.

Theresa May was interviewed and said she is very hopeful that after such a long time a breakthrough has been made.
Panda
Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  kitti Thu 24 Oct - 14:47

So pj say death and SY say abduction.....
kitti
kitti
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  widowan Thu 24 Oct - 15:23

No one really likes having their work reviewed or audited and I think PJ would be no exception, to have  Redwood go on and act like he's broken exciting new info when the suspects are cooperating with him, and refused to do so and misled, the PJ, is hard to swallow. The new info is that Bundleman was not, and Smith sighting might be real. The PJ seemed to discount Bundleman from the beginning, drawing egg man, etc - they just did not believe Jane saw the abductor walk out right when Gerry was there and neither he nor Jez saw her nor the man carrying his child home.

it turns out Jane is very much more observant than Gerry, whatever else we may say about her.

the Smith sighting has always interested me because they were not connected with T9 and had no reason to be shielding them, and there were several of them, and the timing is right.

Where'd they get the efits of this guy though? They don't look that similar to each other. I wonder if PJ would use those - they must be sharing info if it's a parallel investigation. Otherwise what a waste of resources on both sides. That doesn't mean they're working together but surely if PJ is going to investigate the guy SY will give them the efit and who the "witnesses" were.

I laughed watching Redwood's intense expression as he talked about uncovering who this Bundleperson was, because so much time and money and drama was wasted on something that the team whose work he is there to review never took seriously as an abductor, and yet the fact that the T9 did take Bundleman very seriously as the abductor led them to change statements and mis witness things and refuse to come back and reconstruct, and he seems to not want to be mentioning that unfortunate side effect on the case. It wasn't the PJ who thought Bundleman was the abductor, it was the T9 who insisted upon this, wrongly, then wrongly spread that despite judicial secrecy, through every channel they could.

Last edited by widowan on Thu 24 Oct - 15:35; edited 1 time in total
widowan
widowan
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Number of posts : 3378
Warning :

Registration date : 2010-08-23

Back to top Go down

Post  widowan Thu 24 Oct - 15:31

MaryB wrote:Surely it must all rest on who was where at 9.55.  That is if the person the Smith's saw was the person who took Madeleine.
955 is awfully precise. The restaurant says the hue and cry went up between 930 and ten and Mrs Carpenter says 930. If that's the case Gerry would have had ample time to find madeleine "gone" and carry her off, if he was crazy enough to do that.

An abductor would have had time as well, after the listening check to take her out and get down to the beach - on foot - again, if he was crazy enough. Planned abductions you would have thought, would include a vehicle and not a ten PM parade through the resort.

The notion that SY thinks it's a planned abduction seems to rest on the fact that a random one would be extremely unlikely and on the lurking men. But the notion of someone going on foot like that belies any planning worth the name.
widowan
widowan
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Number of posts : 3378
Warning :

Registration date : 2010-08-23

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content