Missing Madeleine
Come join us...there's more inside you cannot see as a guest!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Missing Madeleine
Come join us...there's more inside you cannot see as a guest!
Missing Madeleine
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Extremist Islamic group defends Wootton Bassett parade

3 posters

Go down

Extremist Islamic group defends Wootton Bassett parade Empty Extremist Islamic group defends Wootton Bassett parade

Post  Guest Mon 4 Jan - 9:53

Extremist Islamic group defends Wootton Bassett parade _46704645_008258042-1

The leader of an Islamic group, said to have extremist links, has written to families of fallen soldiers about its plans to march through Wootton Bassett.

Islam4UK wants to walk through the Wiltshire town, which has become famous for paying tribute to soldiers killed in Afghanistan, carrying empty coffins.

Anjem Choudary, of Islam4UK, admitted the town had been chosen because it would attract the most media attention.

But former mayor Chris Wannell asked the group to reconsider its choice.

Islam4UK is said to call itself a "platform" for the extremist movement al-Muhajiroun.

Mr Choudary, a former lawyer and the leader of Islam4UK, has written a letter on the organisation's website entitled "To the families of British soldiers who have fallen", explaining reasons for the planned march.

He said the event, if permitted by police, would involve peaceful "symbolic coffins" being carried to honour Muslim victims of the conflict in Afghanistan.

The sad reality of the situation is that if I were to hold it somewhere else it would not have the media attention that it has now.
Anjem Choudary - Islam4UK

Mr Choudary said: "The procession is not actually about the people of Wootton Bassett and it never was about them.

"We are having a procession, it's in Wootton Bassett but it's not about the people there and it's not against them personally - rather it's to highlight the real cost of war in Afghanistan.

"The sad reality of the situation is that if I were to hold it somewhere else it would not have the media attention that it has now.

"If I am to balance between the sensitivity of having it in Wootton Bassett and the possibility of continuing the quagmire and cycle of death in Afghanistan, then quite honestly I'm going to balance in favour of the latter.

'Bad choice'

"In the next couple of weeks, I'm going to be engaging with the local community and the public at large by way of press releases and letters to explain why we're having this march."

Mr Wannell, of Wootton Bassett, said: "I know we still have freedom of speech and freedom of movement but I think that Mr Choudary has made a bad choice and I would hope he would examine himself and say, 'no I'm doing the wrong thing here', and go somewhere else.

"I think if Mr Choudary has any decency about him he will not march in Wootton Bassett."

Mr Choudary said he had not yet applied to the police with a date requesting permission for the procession through the town.

He said it would not coincide with a repatriation ceremony.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/wiltshire/8438915.stm
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Extremist Islamic group defends Wootton Bassett parade Empty Re: Extremist Islamic group defends Wootton Bassett parade

Post  AnnaEsse Mon 4 Jan - 12:02

"They shall not pass."

http://frommybigdesk.blogspot.com/

Islam4UK, an Islamic group linked to the extremist organisation Al-Muhajiroun is planning a march through Wootton Bassett in the coming weeks in memory of Muslims, "‘murdered in the name of democracy and freedom’. There's something quite ironic there.

Islam4UK's leader, Anjem Choudary, said the protest, involving 500 people, would be ‘peaceful’ and that ‘symbolic coffins’ would be carried to honour Muslim victims of the conflict.

"But Chris Wannell, the Wiltshire town’s former mayor, said: ‘We don’t do what we do for any political reason but to pay our respects to those who have given their lives for our freedom.

‘We are a Christian country and a traditional old English market town who honour very much our Queen and country. We obey the law and pay respects to our servicemen who protect our freedom."(Daily Mail)

Now, I'll come out here and say that I am a pacifist and that I particularly see no sense in the original reasons for invading Afghanistan or for the continuing conflict there. However, I have known men and women who have served in the armed forces, most of whom have joined with very good intentions and a belief that they were defending the freedoms we in the west enjoy and possibly helping people in countries who did not enjoy those freedoms. I have also, as a teacher, known young people who intended to join the armed forces, some because they saw it as a way to gain training for future employment and as a way to travel and see some of the world, some because they couldn't think of any other way to leave home, most with a sense of doing something honourable and decent.

The people who turn out time after time in Wootton Bassett to pay their respects to the British service men and women who have been killed in Afghanistan could be honouring one of my ex-students, young people who went where they were sent and died for a cause that I don't believe is worth dying for, but I think they and their families and the people of Wootton Bassett should not be insulted by this planned march.

On October 4th, 1936, an event took place in London, that came to be known as, "The Battle Of Cable Street." Oswald Mosley and his British Union of Fascists planned to march through Stepney, the area with the largest Jewish population in England.

"Their way was blocked by thousands of demonstrators, made up of communists, Jews, dockers and labourers from the local community.

They flooded the narrow streets, making them impassable. They carried banners and chanted "They Shall Not Pass" a slogan adopted from the Spanish Republicans." (BBC)

This planned demonstration by around 500 people from Islam4UK must not be allowed to happen. Those of us who feel that the dead from a futile war should be allowed to travel in peace to their final resting place and that the route of their final journey should not be tainted by hate must come together now and echo the words of those ordinary folks of East End London.

"They shall not pass."
AnnaEsse
AnnaEsse
Administrator
Administrator

Female
Number of posts : 18693
Warning :
Extremist Islamic group defends Wootton Bassett parade Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Extremist Islamic group defends Wootton Bassett parade Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2009-09-23

Back to top Go down

Extremist Islamic group defends Wootton Bassett parade Empty Re: Extremist Islamic group defends Wootton Bassett parade

Post  Angelina Mon 4 Jan - 13:46

They've got an effing cheek and it's about time the UK Gvt put a stop to it.
Angelina
Angelina
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Number of posts : 2933
Warning :
Extremist Islamic group defends Wootton Bassett parade Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Extremist Islamic group defends Wootton Bassett parade Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2008-08-01

Back to top Go down

Post  AnnaEsse Mon 4 Jan - 13:53

Angelina wrote:They've got an effing cheek and it's about time the UK Gvt put a stop to it.

Abso-f*cking-lutely. If that group truly just wanted to honour Muslims killed in Afghanistan, they would march through an area that was predominantly Muslim. Choosing Wootton Bassett is a confrontational act, to stir up hatred and probably violence and I can imagine the sickening banners they will present.
AnnaEsse
AnnaEsse
Administrator
Administrator

Female
Number of posts : 18693
Warning :

Registration date : 2009-09-23

Back to top Go down

Post  Angelina Mon 4 Jan - 14:16

AnnaEsse wrote:
Angelina wrote:They've got an effing cheek and it's about time the UK Gvt put a stop to it.

Abso-f*cking-lutely. If that group truly just wanted to honour Muslims killed in Afghanistan, they would march through an area that was predominantly Muslim. Choosing Wootton Bassett is a confrontational act, to stir up hatred and probably violence and I can imagine the sickening banners they will present.

Can you imagine the outcry if the residents of Wootton Bassett marched through a mainly Muslim area....the fur would be flying everywhere. One of these days it will all be a step too far and there'll be massive trouble on our streets.
Angelina
Angelina
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Number of posts : 2933
Warning :

Registration date : 2008-08-01

Back to top Go down

Post  AnnaEsse Mon 4 Jan - 14:29

Angelina wrote:
AnnaEsse wrote:

Can you imagine the outcry if the residents of Wootton Bassett marched through a mainly Muslim area....the fur would be flying everywhere. One of these days it will all be a step too far and there'll be massive trouble on our streets.

The words of Enoch Powell now seem somehow prophetic. "Rivers of blood," we may be close to seeing. This is Anjem Choudary, leader of Islam4UK which is planning the march through Wootton Bassett, talking about 7/7, refusing to condemn his "Muslim brothers," and in stating that only Muslims are "innocent," implicitly saying that all those killed or seriously injured were legitimate targets.