Missing Madeleine
Come join us...there's more inside you cannot see as a guest!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Missing Madeleine
Come join us...there's more inside you cannot see as a guest!
Missing Madeleine
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRIT LAD: MADELEINE MCCANN WALKED PAST ME IN COSTA RESORT

+30
dutchclogs
Annabel
ann_chovey
Angelique
AnnaEsse
mossman
mumbles
Panda
Fern
Badboy
Oldartform
mariang
pennylane
matthew
maive
cherry1
marxman
ELI
Claudia79
Autumn
interested
steve1295
tanszi
Chris
jd16
almostgothic
mara thon
Justiceforallkids
margaret
Karen
34 posters

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

BRIT LAD: MADELEINE MCCANN WALKED PAST ME IN COSTA RESORT - Page 5 Empty Re: BRIT LAD: MADELEINE MCCANN WALKED PAST ME IN COSTA RESORT

Post  Panda Sat 21 Apr - 0:34

cherry1 wrote:Very true Marxman, another example here.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1236642/Father-guilty-murdering-daughter-15-honour-killing.html

tragic report of a father who murdered his young daughter in an honour killing, he was convicted
of murder and the body has never been found.

the father got life.

That poor girl would have still been alive if the Police had done their job. after police repeatedly ignored her pleas for help

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1236642/Father-guilty-murdering-daughter-15-honour-killing.html#ixzz1scswyYye

Panda
Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 30555
Warning :
BRIT LAD: MADELEINE MCCANN WALKED PAST ME IN COSTA RESORT - Page 5 Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100BRIT LAD: MADELEINE MCCANN WALKED PAST ME IN COSTA RESORT - Page 5 Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2010-03-27

Back to top Go down

BRIT LAD: MADELEINE MCCANN WALKED PAST ME IN COSTA RESORT - Page 5 Empty Re: BRIT LAD: MADELEINE MCCANN WALKED PAST ME IN COSTA RESORT

Post  maive Sat 21 Apr - 0:36

More info on wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_conviction_without_a_body

There have been over 350 murder trials in the United States where the body has not been found.

More recent cases

More recently, absence of a body has been less of an obstacle to conviction for murder. For example, circumstantial evidence was originally deemed sufficient in the Australian "Dingo baby case", and in others such as Bradley John Murdoch and the murder of Thomas and Jackie Hawks. In the 2002 murder of Danielle Jones, the required circumstantial evidence was provided by forensic analysis of text messages sent by the accused.

In the Australian no-body murder of Keith William Allan evidence from forensic accountants established a motive for his murder. The chance police finding of one perpetrator driving Allan's car and the conduct of all perpetrators, in particular mobile telephone records, were also important factors in their conviction.[10]

The murder of Arlene Fraser is another such recent case, although the conviction of Nat Fraser was subsequently quashed in Fraser v HM Advocate.

However, the possibility of the supposed victim turning up alive remains. In 2003, Leonard Fraser, having allegedly confessed to the murder of teenager Natasha Ryan, was on trial for this, and other murders, when she reappeared after having been missing for four years.[11]

In 2012 in Scotland David Gilroy was convicted of the murder of Suzanne Pilley without a body.
maive
maive
Rookie
Rookie

Female
Number of posts : 146
Warning :
BRIT LAD: MADELEINE MCCANN WALKED PAST ME IN COSTA RESORT - Page 5 Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100BRIT LAD: MADELEINE MCCANN WALKED PAST ME IN COSTA RESORT - Page 5 Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2011-06-22

Back to top Go down

Post  Panda Sat 21 Apr - 0:47

Who doesn't know about the Dingo Baby case, it had as much publicity as the Madeleine case around the World. It was only after the Mother had
served 4 years in Jail and her marriage had broken down that the baby's blood stained matinee jacket was found. The Mother went to Court to clear her name.
Panda
Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  maive Sat 21 Apr - 0:55

Indeed Panda, I remember that case, especially the movie about that.. I was very young when I saw that but I have never forgotten the case..

More info on Fox: http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,438661,00.html

Notable cases where the prosecution was able to get a conviction despite the homicide victim's body never being recovered:

————

In the 1950s, West Palm Beach municipal Judge Joe Peel had earned a reputation for straddling both sides of the law. When Senior Circuit Judge Chillingworth, his superior and a pillar of the West Palm Beach community, disciplined him for representing both the husband and wife in a divorce, Peel hired a World War II veteran and moonshiner to kill Chillingworth. On June 15, 1955, Floyd "Lucky" Holzapfel and George David, bootleggers who relied on Peel for protection, abducted Chillingworth and his wife Marjorie, took them out into the ocean, killed them and dumped the bodies. Evidence at the Chillingworth house quickly ruled out robbery as a motive and investigators were stumped. But four years later, Holzapfel mentioned his role to a friend, who turned him in. Lincoln and Holzapfel were granted immunity in return for their testimony. Peel was convicted and sentenced to life in prison. Experts regard it as the first time a conviction was achieved without a body.

More recent cases:

An Alva, Okla., jury deliberated two hours in September 2007 before convicting Katherine Rutan in the murder of her 6-year-old son, Logan Tucker. Prosecutors said Rutan killed her son on June 23, 2002, so she could be with her boyfriend. Key evidence included a boyfriend who testified that she told him she wished she could kill her children and get away with it. Rulan's other son, Justin, told the jury that his mother took his brother into the woods and returned without him. She was sentenced to life in prison.

————

Nina Reiser, wife of Linux software designer Hans Reiser, disappeared in September 2006 in Oakland, Calif. Nina, a Russian native, married Reiser in 1998 and filed for divorce a year later. The divorce was still pending when she disappeared, though she had already gained custody of the couple's two children. Hans Reiser claimed his wife had abandoned him and the children, but prosecutors said he had "motive coming out of his ears," including large child support payments and evidence Nina had an affair with his best friend. Reiser rejected a three-year plea deal to voluntary manslaughter, but four months after being convicted of first-degree murder last April he agreed to lead investigators to his wife's body in return for a lesser sentence. He is serving a 15-year-to-life sentence for second-degree murder.

————

Tom Capano, a wealthy lawyer from a prominent Delaware family, immediately became a suspect when one of his mistresses, Anne Marie Fahey, went missing in 1996 shortly after she broke off their affair. But without a body, prosecutors were stymied until they successfully pressured Capano's younger brother to admit that he helped dump Fahey's body at sea after she had been fatally shot. Capano, who claimed the shooting was an accident, was convicted of murder in 1999 and is serving a life sentence.

————

After Jami Shearer told her abusive husband, Steven, she was leaving him in September 1990, she disappeared. Steven, who had accused her of cheating on him with his friend, had told her he was going to kill her and had remarked that an area near their Seattle home was "a dumping ground for missing persons," friends later testified. Incidents of abusive behavior toward her were also document and records showed that Steven Shearer had also been actively using a dating service in the months before his wife's disappearance. His sister also testified that Steven Shearer had told her he had done something very bad. Police charged him with first-degree murder and, though prosecutors lacked a murder weapon or eyewitnesses, he was convicted nearly 10 years later and sentenced to 60 years in prison

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,438661,00.html#ixzz1sczKh3RL
maive
maive
Rookie
Rookie

Female
Number of posts : 146
Warning :

Registration date : 2011-06-22

Back to top Go down

Post  Panda Sat 21 Apr - 1:25

Crikey maive, your'e a walking encyclopedia BRIT LAD: MADELEINE MCCANN WALKED PAST ME IN COSTA RESORT - Page 5 294124 The dingo baby and JonBenet cases are the only two I remember.
Panda
Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  matthew Sat 21 Apr - 1:52

Badboy wrote:
Not Born Yesterday wrote:Has there ever been a case where someone has been convicted without a body being found and then at a later date the supposed victim turns up?
THERE WAS A CASE IN CHARLES II TIME.
SOMEONE WAS HANGED,THE VICTIM TURNED UP LATER,SAID HE HAD BEEN SOLD INTO SLAVERY?

So quite recent then BRIT LAD: MADELEINE MCCANN WALKED PAST ME IN COSTA RESORT - Page 5 294124

A spokesman for the Mccanns said they were encouraged by this miscarriage of justice BRIT LAD: MADELEINE MCCANN WALKED PAST ME IN COSTA RESORT - Page 5 23324
matthew
matthew
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Male
Number of posts : 967
Warning :

Registration date : 2011-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post  mossman Sat 21 Apr - 8:52

Did or do the portugese ever want to charge them with murder though ?

A thought struck me the other day. If Madeleine has died as a result of a fall, an accident, albeit an avoidable one, what official charges would there be ?

If it were a charge of let us say abandonment and concealing a body - is there a limitation on the time charges such as this can be brought ?
mossman
mossman
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Number of posts : 1639
Warning :

Registration date : 2011-05-25

Back to top Go down

Post  pennylane Sat 21 Apr - 9:06

mossman wrote:Did or do the portugese ever want to charge them with murder though ?

A thought struck me the other day. If Madeleine has died as a result of a fall, an accident, albeit an avoidable one, what official charges would there be ?

If it were a charge of let us say abandonment and concealing a body - is there a limitation on the time charges such as this can be brought ?

I have wondered this too. I tried checking around some time ago to see if there was a limitation on 'neglect/abandonment' charges, because I was suspicious that TM were perhaps prolonging things with Dr Amaral, and their request for the review for this reason.... but I couldn't find a satisfactory answer.
pennylane
pennylane
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Number of posts : 5353
Warning :

Registration date : 2010-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post  AnnaEsse Sat 21 Apr - 9:12

Badboy wrote:
Not Born Yesterday wrote:Has there ever been a case where someone has been convicted without a body being found and then at a later date the supposed victim turns up?
SOMEONE WAS HANGED,THE VICTIM TURNED UP LATER,SAID HE HAD BEEN SOLD INTO SLAVERY?

I think there is a more recent one in the Dr Crippen case. The body found in the cellar, which was said to be Crippen's wife, is now thought to have been male. He said his wife had gone to the US and there appears to be good evidence that she had.
AnnaEsse
AnnaEsse
Administrator
Administrator

Female
Number of posts : 18693
Warning :

Registration date : 2009-09-23

http://frommybigdesk.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  mariang Sat 21 Apr - 9:39

No english boy of 18 would use the word 'drifter' - they would use the term tramp...... In my opinion the word 'drifter' is american!
mariang
mariang
Rookie
Rookie

Number of posts : 142
Warning :

Registration date : 2011-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldartform Sat 21 Apr - 10:06

mariang wrote:No english boy of 18 would use the word 'drifter' - they would use the term tramp...... In my opinion the word 'drifter' is american!

I wondered if he was even English with a name like Sousa.
Oldartform
Oldartform
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Number of posts : 625
Warning :

Registration date : 2011-06-04

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat 21 Apr - 10:09

With acknowledgement to the Jill Havern forum, his full name is Billy Sousa Hughes which indicates that his mother is of Spanish origin.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  fred Sat 21 Apr - 10:18

Not Born Yesterday wrote:With acknowledgement to the Jill Havern forum, his full name is Billy Sousa Hughes which indicates that his mother is of Spanish origin.

Or Portuguese, my neighbour is Sousa. I bet his mum is Latino as here you put your mothers maiden name then fathers last name.
fred
fred
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Number of posts : 4927
Warning :

Registration date : 2009-08-25

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldartform Sat 21 Apr - 11:16

Not Born Yesterday wrote:With acknowledgement to the Jill Havern forum, his full name is Billy Sousa Hughes which indicates that his mother is of Spanish origin.

Cheers NBY BRIT LAD: MADELEINE MCCANN WALKED PAST ME IN COSTA RESORT - Page 5 25346
Oldartform
Oldartform
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Number of posts : 625
Warning :

Registration date : 2011-06-04

Back to top Go down

Post  Panda Sat 21 Apr - 11:21

I remember reading that the charge for neglect in Portugal is 1 year in Prison, neglect causing harm is 10 yrs. the PJ supposedly let the neglect charge lapse because they wanted the "causing harm" charge which is quite obviously A FACT. Maybe this is where Gordon Brown stepped in .
Panda
Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  mossman Sat 21 Apr - 12:07

Panda wrote:

I remember reading that the charge for neglect in Portugal is 1 year in Prison, neglect causing harm is 10 yrs. the PJ supposedly let the neglect charge lapse because they wanted the "causing harm" charge which is quite obviously A FACT. Maybe this is where Gordon Brown stepped in .

Is there a legal timelimit under which these charges or others such as concealing etc can be brought though ? I would agree with you , th PJ definatley wanted to charge them with someting more than neglect.

Last edited by mossman on Sat 21 Apr - 12:07; edited 1 time in total
mossman
mossman
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  Fern Sat 21 Apr - 12:07

mossman wrote:Did or do the portugese ever want to charge them with murder though ?

To add to this Mossman, even without a body just who exactly would they charge and on what evidence ?

What was the motive ?
Fern
Fern
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Female
Number of posts : 515
Warning :

Registration date : 2011-02-28

Back to top Go down

Post  mossman Sat 21 Apr - 12:11

Fern wrote:

To add to this Mossman, even without a body just who exactly would they charge and on what evidence ?

What was the motive ?

I am no legal expert, hence my original question, but they absolutely abandoned Madeleine and as a result caused her harm. Somebody concealed her body, that I am sure is what the police were trying to prove, the who concealed her and where. That is the, as yet, unanswered question.

Their own words provide the evidence that she was left, we know from the results she came to harm. What they will not tell us is the truth of what happened thereafter.
mossman
mossman
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  Panda Sat 21 Apr - 12:28

mossman wrote:
Panda wrote:

Is there a legal timelimit under which these charges or others such as concealing etc can be brought though ? I would agree with you , th PJ definatley wanted to charge them with someting more than neglect.

Morning mossman I think the one year penalty lapsed but am very doubtful that the Mccanns could ever be charged with anything now unless some
irrefutable evidence is found. The Prosecutor went to a Judge yonks ago asking if there was sufficient evidence to charge the McCanns and go to Trial,
the Judge replied "show me the body".
Panda
Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  mossman Sat 21 Apr - 13:58

Panda wrote:
mossman wrote:
Panda wrote:

Morning mossman I think the one year penalty lapsed but am very doubtful that the Mccanns could ever be charged with anything now unless some
irrefutable evidence is found. The Prosecutor went to a Judge yonks ago asking if there was sufficient evidence to charge the McCanns and go to Trial,
the Judge replied "show me the body".

Thanks Panda.
mossman
mossman
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  fred Sat 21 Apr - 14:51

Which judge said "Show me the body"?
fred
fred
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  Panda Sat 21 Apr - 15:21

Hi fred, I don't know, it was a Press report posted on here a long time ago, can't' remember the name of the Paper , sorry.
Panda
Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  Badboy Sat 21 Apr - 15:24

NOT CORREIA,ONLY GUESSING(OR DS)
Badboy
Badboy
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Male
Number of posts : 8852
Warning :

Registration date : 2009-08-31

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat 21 Apr - 15:45

AnnaEsse wrote:
Badboy wrote:

I think there is a more recent one in the Dr Crippen case. The body found in the cellar, which was said to be Crippen's wife, is now thought to have been male. He said his wife had gone to the US and there appears to be good evidence that she had.

I have read that the wife sent a letter from the States to Winston Churchill (who was Home Secretary) at that time, he put it in his pocket and forgot about it. It would have cleared Crippen, who was hanged, and so it had to be hushed up to protect the Government. They recently took DNA from two of Cora Crippen's living relatives (an old lady of about 90 was one, I believe) and there was no match to the remains.

There was also evidence since unearthed that Dr Crippen performed abortions (which were illegal then) and that the body in the cellar could have been one of his "operations" gone wrong.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  fred Sat 21 Apr - 16:24

Panda wrote:

Hi fred, I don't know, it was a Press report posted on here a long time ago, can't' remember the name of the Paper , sorry.

Right so it might not be true, just more garbage from the pros? I can't see judge saying that tbh.
fred
fred
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next