Missing Madeleine
Come join us...there's more inside you cannot see as a guest!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Missing Madeleine
Come join us...there's more inside you cannot see as a guest!
Missing Madeleine
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Mccanns have let themselves go...

+2
curious george
Loopdaloop
6 posters

Go down

The Mccanns have let themselves go... Empty The Mccanns have let themselves go...

Post  Loopdaloop Mon 11 Mar - 22:16

The Mccanns have let themselves go... Article-2291463-18911CBB000005DC-333_634x359
Okay, so its not the mccann's (though we can't be 100% sure due to the fact the faces are blurred but Gerry may have stopped running The Mccanns have let themselves go... 52433 )But the point to this article is that joe bloggs members of the public got charged, so if its deemed that the Mccanns drugged their children to keep them asleep whilst they got drun with their mates...
(A perspective purported by Goncalo and the media at the time, should carter ruck be watching, dont forget gerry doesnt mind 'purported' theories and Kate herself suggested the twins may have been drugged) then they should also be charged!

Although, it is strange that Maddies sleep problems were so tough at home that they implemented a behaviour chart yet whilst on holiday the issue was not even mentioned once, not even in kates book! Maddie nust have been 'cured' by the portugese air!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2291463/Drug-addict-parents-sedated-toddler-night-catch-sleep.html

Drug addict parents sedated toddler every night 'to catch up on their sleep'
Little girl was routinely given Medised at night from the age of two
Toddler also took the sedative Diazepam, Gloucester Crown Court told
'Plainly selfish' mother and father given suspended sentences

By KERRY MCDERMOTT
PUBLISHED: 11:12, 11 March 2013 | UPDATED: 18:41, 11 March 2013

A couple who routinely drugged their toddler daughter so they could 'catch up on their sleep' have been given suspended prison sentences.

The drug addict mother, 41, and father, 40, regularly gave their two-year-old daughter the liquid paracetamol Medised - intended for children more than twice her age - for a year and a half so she was less likely to wake in the night and disturb their sleep, a court heard.

Gloucester Crown Court was told the little girl also sometimes had the sedative Diazepam - used to treat severe anxiety and agitation.

The parents admitted cruelty after drugging their toddler with Medised so they could catch up on their sleep
The girl had to be fed through a nasal tube when she was born due to problems caused by her mother's use of Diazepam and the heroin substitute methadone while she was pregnant, the court heard.

Instead of weaning their daughter off the tube, the couple, from Nailsworth in Gloucestershire, continued to use it routinely because it was easier.
They went on to give her Medised on a nightly basis between the ages of two and a three and a half so they could sleep, he added.

The little girl was taken into the care of an aunt in June 2011 after her 'plainly selfish' parents, who met in rehab, told a social worker what they had been doing.

Judge Jamie Tabor QC criticised the couple for their 'remarkably stupid' actions, and told them he would have jailed them were it not for the fact it would deprive their daughter of weekly supervised visits from her parents.

The parents, whose identities cannot be revealed, walked free from court after being handed suspended sentences
Their offences were not malicious but they were quite plainly selfish to spare themselves the tribulations of parenthood, the judge said.

'Every parent of a young child will have undergone sleepless nights because the child is unsettled for one reason or another. You chose to adminster Medised, which was not intended for a child that age, and you chose to keep very quiet about it,' he said.

'I see before me a wholly inadequate man who was rather struggling with this child and a mother who was more concerned with herself than her child,' the judge added.

Both parents admitted being cruel to their daughter between September 2009 and June 2011 by routinely administering Medised - a liquid medicine typically prescribed to children between the ages of six and 12 to relieve cold and flu symptoms, fevers or headaches.

Her mother admitted a similar charge involving her daughter taking Diazepam, but denied that she had given it to her daughter deliberately.

'Plainly selfish': The mother, 41, and father, 40, were given suspended sentences at Gloucester Crown Court
The couple's denial of a charge of administering methadone to their daughter was accepted by the prosecution.

They had faced another charge of cruelty by using a feeding tube on the child, which was not proceeded with.

'Every parent of a young child will have undergone sleepless nights because the child is unsettled for one reason or another'

Judge Jamie Tabor QC

The woman was sentenced to 18 months suspended for a period of two years, while the man was given a 12 month sentence suspended for the same period.

Both were placed under a curfew between the hours of 8pm and 6am for a period of six months.

The court heard the couple's daughter was eating normally within a month of being taken into care and had grown into a 'bright little button'.

Her parents have supervised access to their daughter at weekends.

It might send the little girl 'off the rails' if she were to be deprived of the visits, the judge said.

Her aunt said in a recent statement: 'She is a much loved, beautiful and bright little girl, surrounded by the people who love her deeply, especially her mum and dad.'

Giles Nelson, representing the girl's mother, said the couple met when they were both in rehab in 2001. 'I am afraid they went badly wrong as parents,' he said.

Martin Steen, representing her father, said: 'He thought that by giving Medised he was relieving her [his daughter] and relieving himself. He now recognises he was wrong and is ashamed. He loves his daughter dearly.'

Judge Tabor told the couple that with their own drug addiction histories they should have known better and what they had done was 'most remarkably stupid'.

He said the mother had show no real effort to address her own addictions and was still taking the highest prescription of methadone he had ever seen.

Last edited by Loopdaloop on Mon 11 Mar - 22:28; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : On mobile)
Loopdaloop
Loopdaloop
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Number of posts : 815
Warning :
The Mccanns have let themselves go... Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100The Mccanns have let themselves go... Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2010-02-11

Back to top Go down

The Mccanns have let themselves go... Empty Re: The Mccanns have let themselves go...

Post  tigger Tue 12 Mar - 6:55

Kate said we'd be more sympathetic if she had big breasts and weighed a few stone more.

I don't feel any sympathy for these two chubbies. Nope - I don' t think it's the overweight/big breasts issue, I think it's not looking after your children.

Weird that. The Mccanns have let themselves go... 157799
tigger
tigger
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 1740
Warning :
The Mccanns have let themselves go... Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100The Mccanns have let themselves go... Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2011-07-02

Back to top Go down

The Mccanns have let themselves go... Empty Re: The Mccanns have let themselves go...

Post  curious george Tue 12 Mar - 7:59

Amaral hypothesised that liquid paracetamol had been used to sedate the children. I don’t know whether he used the trade name Calpol or whether that was surmised being a leading brand. However, it was quickly pointed out that Calpol is not a sedative.

But Medised is different. Liquid paracetamol combined with an antihistamine.
curious george
curious george
Reg Member
Reg Member

Number of posts : 188
Warning :

Registration date : 2009-09-05

Back to top Go down

Post  tigger Tue 12 Mar - 8:25

curious george wrote:Amaral hypothesised that liquid paracetamol had been used to sedate the children. I don’t know whether he used the trade name Calpol or whether that was surmised being a leading brand. However, it was quickly pointed out that Calpol is not a sedative.

But Medised is different. Liquid paracetamol combined with an antihistamine.

Slightly off topic, but I wonder if pharmaceutical industries contribute to e.g. medical studies grants/medical faculties.
I have found that doctors and also nurses often use medication where laymen would leave the problem to sort itself out. I understand that the pharma industry does have a stake in NHS trusts and GP practices. Correct me if I'm wrong.

There was a brand of antihistamine in 5a, allegedly for Gerry's use. It's certainly a strong sedative for a child. I took anti histamine to sleep for a while. It knocks me out.
tigger
tigger
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 1740
Warning :

Registration date : 2011-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post  mossman Tue 12 Mar - 10:53

I know many parents who regularly use antihistamines on toddlers in particular whilst flying. They say it keeps normally active toddlers quiet during the flight or indeed keeps them asleep for most of the journey. Most definitely a staple must have in holiday luggage for the flight home too.

mossman
mossman
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Number of posts : 1639
Warning :

Registration date : 2011-05-25

Back to top Go down

Post  margaret Tue 12 Mar - 11:08

mossman wrote:I know many parents who regularly use antihistamines on toddlers in particular whilst flying. They say it keeps normally active toddlers quiet during the flight or indeed keeps them asleep for most of the journey. Most definitely a staple must have in holiday luggage for the flight home too.

Parents like that disgust me. They can't be bothered to parent for a few hours, if only things like colouring, reading and sticking books or games like i-spy were invented.....
margaret
margaret
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 4406
Warning :

Registration date : 2009-08-25

Back to top Go down

Post  mossman Tue 12 Mar - 11:22

margaret wrote:
mossman wrote:I know many parents who regularly use antihistamines on toddlers in particular whilst flying. They say it keeps normally active toddlers quiet during the flight or indeed keeps them asleep for most of the journey. Most definitely a staple must have in holiday luggage for the flight home too.

Parents like that disgust me. They can't be bothered to parent for a few hours, if only things like colouring, reading and sticking books or games like i-spy were invented.....

Or simply don't choose holiday destinations that require flying.....I had three children under three and I would have had to sedate myself at the mere thought of flying with them when small. We were never short of holiday destinations and things to do, we just avoided flying. Simple.
mossman
mossman
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Number of posts : 1639
Warning :

Registration date : 2011-05-25

Back to top Go down

Post  tanszi Tue 12 Mar - 19:21

i had a WHAT??? moment when i read about parents giving children anti histamines on flights so they would sleep. Absolutely disgusting.
tanszi
tanszi
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Number of posts : 3124
Warning :

Registration date : 2009-09-10

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down