Missing Madeleine
Come join us...there's more inside you cannot see as a guest!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Missing Madeleine
Come join us...there's more inside you cannot see as a guest!
Missing Madeleine
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What is a pro or an anti?

+21
ELI
amber
Angelina
kitti
margaret
malena stool
chrissie
Chris
marxman
Justiceforallkids
Velvet
tigger
T4two
dutchclogs
gillyspot
flower
matthew
Oldartform
Lioned
pennylane
Autumn
25 posters

Page 8 of 15 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 11 ... 15  Next

Go down

What is a pro or an anti? - Page 8 Empty Re: What is a pro or an anti?

Post  AnnaEsse Wed 18 Jan - 23:07

jodel wrote:
ELI wrote:
jodel wrote:
ELI wrote:
jodel wrote:

Inconclusive means inconclusive. The result neither increase nor decrease the possibility that Madeleine McCann contributed to the sample from the Scenic.

This is the case because it is equally possible:

1/ That Madeleine contributed to the sample
2/ That Madeleine did not contributed to the sample

giving it am evidentiary value of zero.

An inconclusive result does not rule anyone out, an exclusion does just as an inclusion conclusively rules someone in. If it is considered to be a partial DNA match, which it certainly looks like then it can be used as evidence, giving it a just a tad more value than zero.

I think that you are wrong. For this result to be placed before a jury, it would have to be supported by an expert opinion on its evidentiary value. There are two possible cases-

1/Madeleine contributed to the sample
2/Madeleine did not contribute to the sample.

The expert witness would be asked to give the probability of each in turn. As either result is equally possible (which is what inconclusive means) the expert would have to state that to be the case and that would destroy it as evidence.

We've had an expert ' opinion' ;

“ In my opinion, the laboratory results that were attained did not help to clarify whether or not the DNA results obtained within the scope of this case were from Madeleine McCann.”

Opinions vary considerably and in any case such as this any forensic results should have been given in terms of probabilities - Failure to exclude a "match" is not absolute, when a person is not excluded as being the source of an evidentiary DNA profile , the strength of the evidence should be given in terms of probabilities and in relation to other evidence.

That we have yet to see don't we.

must go , pleasure chatting What is a pro or an anti? - Page 8 25346

Nice attempt at a drive-by!

If you understood the genetics, the chances of getting the same result from the mixture of five otherwise unrelated people from Northern Europe (and in no way admitted to the McCanns) is better than fifty per cent. This is what was meant by the throw away comment about a group of random people in the FSS lab having the same markers.

Drive by? Please try not to be patronising to other members. You even had the cheek to ask me if I understood what LCN was about. You don't even know what a 'primary sample,' is.
AnnaEsse
AnnaEsse
Administrator
Administrator

Female
Number of posts : 18693
Warning :
What is a pro or an anti? - Page 8 Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100What is a pro or an anti? - Page 8 Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2009-09-23

http://frommybigdesk.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed 18 Jan - 23:08

jodel wrote:[Mquote="AnnaEsse"]
jodel wrote:
Iris wrote:Misguided by whom?

Misguided in their moral choice.

By whom though, have they been misguided in their moral choice?

Misguided by their own set of values.

People may be simply misguided without there being a person to cause the misguiding.[/quote]

Does Healy and McCann being "misguided" render them guilty of neglect/abandonment in moral terms (If not strictly Legal terms)?

Or do you think, like some do, that the alleged neglect didn't happen at all?

Last edited by The End Is Nigh on Wed 18 Jan - 23:09; edited 1 time in total
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  jodel Wed 18 Jan - 23:08

Iris wrote:
jodel wrote:

Oh, misguided by morals, that's a new one. And are they also as rude as you, coming on here and telling people that they "don't understand" stuff?

I have not been 'rude' to anyone. Several people have been fairly rude to me.

If one cannot debate matters (disagreement is necessary for that- and that involves suggesting that the other person is possibly wrong) then what is a discussion site for?

Not rude, but debating.
jodel
jodel
Rookie
Rookie

Number of posts : 140
Warning :
What is a pro or an anti? - Page 8 Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100What is a pro or an anti? - Page 8 Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2012-01-18

Back to top Go down

Post  ELI Wed 18 Jan - 23:08

jodel wrote:
ELI wrote:
jodel wrote:
ELI wrote:
jodel wrote:

Inconclusive means inconclusive. The result neither increase nor decrease the possibility that Madeleine McCann contributed to the sample from the Scenic.

This is the case because it is equally possible:

1/ That Madeleine contributed to the sample
2/ That Madeleine did not contributed to the sample

giving it am evidentiary value of zero.

An inconclusive result does not rule anyone out, an exclusion does just as an inclusion conclusively rules someone in. If it is considered to be a partial DNA match, which it certainly looks like then it can be used as evidence, giving it a just a tad more value than zero.

I think that you are wrong. For this result to be placed before a jury, it would have to be supported by an expert opinion on its evidentiary value. There are two possible cases-

The expert witness would be asked to give the probability of each in turn. As either result is equally possible (which is what inconclusive means) the expert would have to state that to be the case and that would destroy it as evidence.

“ In my opinion, the laboratory results that were attained did not help to clarify whether or not the DNA results obtained within the scope of this case were from Madeleine McCann.”

Opinions vary considerably and in any case such as this any forensic results should have been given in terms of probabilities - Failure to exclude a "match" is not absolute, when a person is not excluded as being the source of an evidentiary DNA profile , the strength of the evidence should be given in terms of probabilities and in relation to other evidence.

If you understood the genetics, the chances of getting the same result from the mixture of five otherwise unrelated people from Northern Europe (and in no way admitted to the McCanns) is better than fifty per cent. This is what was meant by the throw away comment about a group of random people in the FSS lab having the same markers.

No no no..... the chances of someone having t same genetic match are millions to one. It's clear in the report there were what appeared to be other contributors , but it's also clear that ALL CONFIRMED COMPONENTS in the profile of Madeleine were present. So what are the probabilities of someone from Northern Europe having the exact same number of components matching Madeleine Mccann ??

Nice try too, now must really go.
ELI
ELI
Elite Member
Elite Member

Number of posts : 337
Warning :

Registration date : 2011-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post  jodel Wed 18 Jan - 23:10

The End Is Nigh wrote:
jodel wrote:[Mquote="AnnaEsse"]
jodel wrote:

By whom though, have they been misguided in their moral choice?

Misguided by their own set of values.

People may be simply misguided without there being a person to cause the misguiding.

Does Healy and McCann being "misguided" render them guilty of neglect/abandonment in moral terms (If not strictly Legal terms)?[/quote]

Moral standards are notoriously variable. I find their behaviour to be morally reprehensible but others may not.

I also suspect that they lied to cover their backs and that was reprehensible too.
jodel
jodel
Rookie
Rookie

Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed 18 Jan - 23:10

jodel wrote:
Iris wrote:
jodel wrote:

Oh, misguided by morals, that's a new one. And are they also as rude as you, coming on here and telling people that they "don't understand" stuff?

If one cannot debate matters (disagreement is necessary for that- and that involves suggesting that the other person is possibly wrong) then what is a discussion site for?

Not rude, but debating.

Please specify who has been rude. I'm sure all Members would wish to learn from their mistakes.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  AnnaEsse Wed 18 Jan - 23:11

jodel wrote:
Iris wrote:
jodel wrote:

Not rude, but debating.

You commented about people posting a lot on the McCann case, and you've notched up a helluva lot of posts in one day, mostly on one thread. Why not have a read of a few others. Try telling us, for instance what you think of the billowing curtains? Or maybe just tell us if you think there is any evidence for abduction, since you haven't ruled that out, which implies that you think there is at least some evidence for it.
AnnaEsse
AnnaEsse
Administrator
Administrator

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  jodel Wed 18 Jan - 23:12

ELI wrote:
jodel wrote:
ELI wrote:
jodel wrote:
ELI wrote:

No no no..... the chances of someone having t same genetic match are millions to one. It's clear in the report there were what appeared to be other contributors , but it's also clear that ALL CONFIRMED COMPONENTS in the profile of Madeleine were present. So what are the probabilities of someone from Northern Europe having the exact same number of components matching Madeleine Mccann ??

If you're talking about the swab from the Scenic, I am afraid you are wrong. The odds are not millions to one but about fifty per cent.
jodel
jodel
Rookie
Rookie

Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  AnnaEsse Wed 18 Jan - 23:13

jodel wrote:
ELI wrote:
jodel wrote:
ELI wrote:
jodel wrote:

If you're talking about the swab from the Scenic, I am afraid you are wrong. The odds are not millions to one but about fifty per cent.

Do tell us what your qualifications are in genetics?
AnnaEsse
AnnaEsse
Administrator
Administrator

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed 18 Jan - 23:13

jodel wrote:

Moral standards are notoriously variable. I find their behaviour to be morally reprehensible but others may not.

I also suspect that they lied to cover their backs and that was reprehensible too.

Interesting.

I shall cogitate upon this in the land of nod.

Goodnight all.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  flower Wed 18 Jan - 23:14

flower wrote:
jodel wrote:
flower wrote:
flower wrote:
jodel wrote:

I am not able to go beyond the very limited information that we have that could decide between homicide and abduction. I do believe both to be possible, but neither to be provable.

That is my point though - I would welcome your thoughts on how an abduction could be possible - I can see hoe (C) is possible - but I have no thoughts on how an abduction could be possible - I only ask how an abduction could be possible in your mind..............

Thanks jodel - I think my thoughts have been lost amongst other posts.......... at least you debate without sarcasm bullying............

Thanks. It is pleasant to debate without abuse and other silly insults. I have been nothing but polite and rational here, yet several people seem to think that their case is advanced by using abuse and sarcasm which is a little sad.

I have a totally open mind on the matter and this seems to annoy both camps, whatever we call them.

Ok - and thanks for that.................... but I would like you to answer the question of how - in your mind only - that an abduction could be possible.....................

That is my question too AnnaEsse................ What is a pro or an anti? - Page 8 Icon_flower
flower
flower
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Number of posts : 678
Warning :

Registration date : 2009-09-02

Back to top Go down

Post  ELI Wed 18 Jan - 23:17

jodel wrote:
ELI wrote:
jodel wrote:
ELI wrote:
jodel wrote:

There were no percentages given, this is one of the factors which should have been given -ie probabilities.

“ in the first scientific approach”
“ the report recognizes that "in a first scientific approach, the possibility of a compatibility between Madeleine's DNA profile and some of the residues that were collected (among which those that existed in the Renault Scenic vehicle that was rented by the McCanns, were in great quantity), was apparent".

really must go. What is a pro or an anti? - Page 8 23324
ELI
ELI
Elite Member
Elite Member

Number of posts : 337
Warning :

Registration date : 2011-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed 18 Jan - 23:19

jodel wrote:I have not been 'rude' to anyone. Several people have been fairly rude to me.

Not rude, but debating.

Really? You have been here for all of five minutes. You have bragged about your supposed "qualifications" and knowledge, God knows why. You have told us that we are all too ignorant to understand things. You have told us that we are all blinkered and incapable of seeing things outwith our own comfort zones. You have told us what we are "convinced" of. "One" is perfectly capable of debating matters, but only with respectful and civil participants. "One" does not trouble oneself with people who come to patronise and insult. Perhaps this may explain why people here are "rude" to you. You haven't exactly endeared yourself to the natives.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  jodel Wed 18 Jan - 23:20

AnnaEsse wrote:
jodel wrote:
Iris wrote:
jodel wrote:

Not rude, but debating.

You commented about people posting a lot on the McCann case, and you've notched up a helluva lot of posts in one day, mostly on one thread. Why not have a read of a few others. Try telling us, for instance what you think of the billowing curtains? Or maybe just tell us if you think there is any evidence for abduction, since you haven't ruled that out, which implies that you think there is at least some evidence for it.

I am less interested in comments made in interviews (which are notoriously inaccurate in any case) than in matters that are at least decidable (DNA, Cadaver Odour, rules of evidence).

One possibility is that the checking timeline was a load of baloney invented to avoid being blamed for neglect and this blew up in their faces. Thus giving plenty of time for an abduction or woke and wandered.

All very reprehensible but probably never going to come to court.
jodel
jodel
Rookie
Rookie

Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  AnnaEsse Wed 18 Jan - 23:23

jodel wrote:
AnnaEsse wrote:
jodel wrote:
Iris wrote:
jodel wrote:

Not rude, but debating.

I am less interested in comments made in interviews (which are notoriously inaccurate in any case) than in matters that are at least decidable (DNA, Cadaver Odour, rules of evidence).

One possibility is that the checking timeline was a load of baloney invented to avoid being blamed for neglect and this blew up in their faces. Thus giving plenty of time for an abduction or woke and wandered.

So, Kate McCann cannot be taken seriously in that interview about the curtains? What are you talking about? The point of the discussion about the curtains is the constantly changing description of what Kate McCann saw and what she did. And what does timelines have to do with what I asked you?

ETA: you have told us that you haven't ruled out abduction. So, there must be some reason why you think it's a possibility. What might your reason(s) be?

Last edited by AnnaEsse on Wed 18 Jan - 23:25; edited 1 time in total
AnnaEsse
AnnaEsse
Administrator
Administrator

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  jodel Wed 18 Jan - 23:24

Iris wrote:
jodel wrote:I have not been 'rude' to anyone. Several people have been fairly rude to me.

Not rude, but debating.

Really? You have been here for all of five minutes. You have bragged about your supposed "qualifications" and knowledge, God knows why. You have told us that we are all too ignorant to understand things. You have told us that we are all blinkered and incapable of seeing things outwith our own comfort zones. You have told us what we are "convinced" of. "One" is perfectly capable of debating matters, but only with respectful and civil participants. "One" does not trouble oneself with people who come to patronise and insult. Perhaps this may explain why people here are "rude" to you. You haven't exactly endeared yourself to the natives.

What 'qualifications' have I 'bragged' about?

Where did I call anyone 'ignorant'?

Where have I said that anyone is 'blinkered' or 'incapable of seeing things outwith (their) own comfort zones'?

Where have I told people 'what (they) are convinced of'?

That is a rather long list of unsubstantiated allegations.
jodel
jodel
Rookie
Rookie

Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  jodel Wed 18 Jan - 23:26

AnnaEsse wrote:
jodel wrote:
AnnaEsse wrote:
jodel wrote:
Iris wrote:

Not rude, but debating.

So, Kate McCann cannot be taken seriously in that interview about the curtains? What are you talking about? The point of the discussion about the curtains is the constantly changing description of what Kate McCann saw and what she did. And what does timelines have to do with what I asked you?

Human memory is not like a video camera- it is patchy and unreliable. People make many errors when asked to recall actions and observations.
jodel
jodel
Rookie
Rookie

Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  AnnaEsse Wed 18 Jan - 23:27

jodel wrote:
Iris wrote:

Not rude, but debating.

Where have I said that anyone is 'blinkered' or 'incapable of seeing things outwith (their) own comfort zones'?

Well, you implied that ELI did not understand the genetics. And as for generalisations - too many for me to be bothered to list.
AnnaEsse
AnnaEsse
Administrator
Administrator

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  jodel Wed 18 Jan - 23:29

AnnaEsse wrote:
jodel wrote:
Iris wrote:

Not rude, but debating.

Well, you implied that ELI did not understand the genetics. And as for generalisations - too many for me to be bothered to list.

So you agree that none of Iris's wild allegations can be linked to any post I have made- I have been extremely polite.

Saying that ELI did not understand the genetics is true- he does not- if he did he would understand why the odds are fifty fifty and not millions to one against.
jodel
jodel
Rookie
Rookie

Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  flower Wed 18 Jan - 23:29

jodel wrote:
AnnaEsse wrote:
jodel wrote:
Iris wrote:
jodel wrote:

Not rude, but debating.

Sorry to butt in but I presume this could also be an answer to my enquiry as to your thoughts as to how an abduction could have taken place........... I have yet to see/read a credible solution as to how an abduction could have occured - I guess I have to keep on thinking (C) is the preferred option - for me anyhow........... I am disappointed that a more reasoned answer could not have been given re the abduction......... surely someone out there can give me a reasonable answer as to how an abduction could have taken place............
flower
flower
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  AnnaEsse Wed 18 Jan - 23:31

jodel wrote:
AnnaEsse wrote:
jodel wrote:
Iris wrote:

Not rude, but debating.

So you agree that none of Iris's wild allegations can be linked to any post I have made- I have been extremely polite.

Saying that ELI did not understand the genetics is true- he does not- if he did he would understand why the odds are fifty fifty and not millions to one against.

Now you're not even just twisting what I said, you're inventing something. I made no comment about Iris.
AnnaEsse
AnnaEsse
Administrator
Administrator

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed 18 Jan - 23:31

jodel wrote:
Iris wrote:

Not rude, but debating.

Try reading back over your own posts and you will see that NOTHING I have written is "unsubstantiated". You do not impress me with your big words and I now believe that every single poster on this board can see right through you. I am getting bored with you now so I am going to ignore you, you'd be better off trotting off back to the dark side to do your crowing over there. They might appreciate you, I don't.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  jodel Wed 18 Jan - 23:34

flower wrote:
jodel wrote:
AnnaEsse wrote:
jodel wrote:
Iris wrote:

Not rude, but debating.

Sorry to butt in but I presume this could also be an answer to my enquiry as to your thoughts as to how an abduction could have taken place........... I have yet to see/read a credible solution as to how an abduction could have occured - I guess I have to keep on thinking (C) is the preferred option - for me anyhow........... I am disappointed that a more reasoned answer could not have been given re the abduction......... surely someone out there can give me a reasonable answer as to how an abduction could have taken place............

I was mentioning it in passing really- one solution that does not involve wild behaviour changes or super quick abduction is the possibility that most of the checks were fiction.

Any explanation I have seen so far requires incredible actions to occur; the above explanation is mundane and believable.

I still have no idea what happened and doubt that we shall ever know for sure.
jodel
jodel
Rookie
Rookie

Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  jodel Wed 18 Jan - 23:35

Iris wrote:
jodel wrote:
Iris wrote:

Not rude, but debating.

Try reading back over your own posts and you will see that NOTHING I have written is "unsubstantiated". You do not impress me with your big words and I now believe that every single poster on this board can see right through you. I am getting bored with you now so I am going to ignore you, you'd be better off trotting off back to the dark side to do your crowing over there. They might appreciate you, I don't.

Throwing mud and running away is a childish action.
jodel
jodel
Rookie
Rookie

Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  flower Wed 18 Jan - 23:36

jodel wrote:
flower wrote:
jodel wrote:
AnnaEsse wrote:
jodel wrote:

Not rude, but debating.

I was mentioning it in passing really- one solution that does not involve wild behaviour changes or super quick abduction is the possibility that most of the checks were fiction.

Any explanation I have seen so far requires incredible actions to occur; the above explanation is mundane and believable.

I still have no idea what happened and doubt that we shall ever know for sure.

Sorry to sound stupid - but is that your reason for Abduction??

Last edited by flower on Wed 18 Jan - 23:37; edited 1 time in total
flower
flower
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 15 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 11 ... 15  Next