Missing Madeleine
Come join us...there's more inside you cannot see as a guest!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Missing Madeleine
Come join us...there's more inside you cannot see as a guest!
Missing Madeleine
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Woman arrested after 5 children die in fire in Derby

+5
chrissie
AnnaEsse
wjk
tigger
princess_leia
9 posters

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Woman arrested after 5 children die in fire in Derby - Page 2 Empty Re: Woman arrested after 5 children die in fire in Derby

Post  Panda Fri 22 Jun - 16:51

Panda
Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 30555
Warning :
Woman arrested after 5 children die in fire in Derby - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Woman arrested after 5 children die in fire in Derby - Page 2 Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2010-03-27

Back to top Go down

Woman arrested after 5 children die in fire in Derby - Page 2 Empty Two more arrests in Derby House Fire

Post  Panda Thu 19 Jul - 15:51

Two more arrests in Derby house fire

Two more people have been arrested in connection with a house fire in Derby that killed six children.

Duwayne Philpott, 13, and his siblings Jade, 10, John, nine, Jack, eight, Jessie, six, and five-year-old Jayden, all lost their lives following the blaze in Allenton, Derby, in the early hours of May 11.

Police have arrested a 34-year-old man and a 29-year-old woman as part of the investigation into the fire.

Charged: The children's parents Mick and wife Mairead Philpott, seen here weeping at a press conference in May following the fire at their home, have been charged with their murder

The family in 2007: Back row from left, Katrine and Kirk in Lisa Willis's arms, Yawery and Jayden in the arms of Mr Philpott, Jade, Jack and Jordan. Front row, from left, Shareen and Jesse with Mrs Philpott, Duwayne and John

The children's parents, Mick Philpott, 55, and his wife Mairead, 31, have been charged with their murder after the fire at the family home.

No more information was released by Derby Police but the arrests coincide with fresh police activity at a property on the same road.

More...
Woman driver burned to death in motorway inferno after Porsche careered into the back of her broken down car
The semi-detached council home has been taped off with forensic science officers entering and leaving.

Assistant Chief Constable Steve Cotterill said: 'These latest arrests are part of the ongoing investigation into the circumstances surrounding the fire.

Floral tributes adorn the pavement outside the family home in Allenton following the fire which claimed the lives of six children

The children were buried in a joint funeral service at St Mary's Catholic Church in Derby last month

'Despite the fact that two people have already been charged with murder, we are continuing our investigation to ensure that all lines of inquiry are completed.

'No further information will be released at this time.'

The six children were asleep upstairs when the fire broke out at the semi-detached house in Victory Road in the early hours of May 11.

Derbyshire Police have confirmed that petrol was used to start the blaze.

Smoke from the fire travelled upstairs to where the children were in bed.

All six died as a result of smoke inhalation, the police have said.

An inquest into their deaths was opened and adjourned at Derby Coroner’s Court in May by Coroner Dr Robert Hunter.

The hearing was told that John, Jack, Jesse, Jayden and Jade were all certified dead at the accident and emergency department of the Royal Derby Hospital.

Duwayne died of his injuries in Birmingham Children’s Hospital two days later.
No causes of death were given during the inquest.

Daily Mail online July 19th, 2012

Panda
Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Warning :
Woman arrested after 5 children die in fire in Derby - Page 2 Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Woman arrested after 5 children die in fire in Derby - Page 2 Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Woman arrested after 5 children die in fire in Derby - Page 2 Empty Re: Woman arrested after 5 children die in fire in Derby

Post  Guest Thu 19 Jul - 16:12

I shouldn't be speculating I know but I wonder if the woman is the same one who was arrested previously, Mick's ex-girlfriend.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Panda Thu 19 Jul - 16:26

Not Born Yesterday wrote:I shouldn't be speculating I know but I wonder if the woman is the same one who was arrested previously, Mick's ex-girlfriend.

I found it hard to believe the Father could be so heartless after siring so many children.......have the Father and Mother actually admitted responsibility.?
Panda
Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu 19 Jul - 16:42

I think we'll have to wait for the trial in January for that, Panda. It took me a while to come round to the idea that the parents may have been involved as it does seem by all accounts that the Philpotts loved their children.

How could anyone be so wicked - but then as we know from so many other cases there is no end to some people's wickedness.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Panda Thu 19 Jul - 16:52

You have to wonder at human nature when a Father stabs his 3 children to death and kills himself.........take your own life if you must, but why kill your
children> I thought it might be because the couple were splitting up and it was spite over custody but when the first child died did he not realise what he was doing and come to his senses????
Panda
Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  chrissie Mon 5 Nov - 12:59

http://news.sky.com/story/1007185/derby-two-men-held-over-fatal-house-fire

Derby: Two Men Held Over Fatal House Fire

Police investigating the deaths of six children in a house fire in Derby have arrested two men.

The men, aged 45 and 49, were held on Monday morning in connection with the investigation into the blaze in the city's Victory Road.

Assistant Chief Constable Steve Cotterill said: "These arrests are part of the continuing investigation to seek justice for the children who died as a result of the fire in May."

The two men are in police custody and will be questioned later.

Jade Philpott, 10, and her brothers John, nine, Jack, eight, Jesse, six, and Jayden, five, all died in the fire on May 11. Duwayne, 13, died in Birmingham Children's Hospital two days later.

A plea and case management hearing for their parents, Michael and Mairead, who have been charged with the children's murders, will be held at Nottingham Crown Court on Thursday.

So we'll get to hear what plea the parents put in on Thursday.
chrissie
chrissie
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Number of posts : 3288
Warning :

Registration date : 2009-08-28

Back to top Go down

Post  Panda Mon 5 Nov - 13:09

chrissie wrote:http://news.sky.com/story/1007185/derby-two-men-held-over-fatal-house-fire

Derby: Two Men Held Over Fatal House Fire

Police investigating the deaths of six children in a house fire in Derby have arrested two men.

The men, aged 45 and 49, were held on Monday morning in connection with the investigation into the blaze in the city's Victory Road.

Assistant Chief Constable Steve Cotterill said: "These arrests are part of the continuing investigation to seek justice for the children who died as a result of the fire in May."

The two men are in police custody and will be questioned later.

Jade Philpott, 10, and her brothers John, nine, Jack, eight, Jesse, six, and Jayden, five, all died in the fire on May 11. Duwayne, 13, died in Birmingham Children's Hospital two days later.

A plea and case management hearing for their parents, Michael and Mairead, who have been charged with the children's murders, will be held at Nottingham Crown Court on Thursday.

So we'll get to hear what plea the parents put in on Thursday.

Your'e not gonna believe this chrissie, I have just spent the last 15 minutes trying to find the original story posted here ,months ago. Woman arrested after 5 children die in fire in Derby - Page 2 23324Woman arrested after 5 children die in fire in Derby - Page 2 23324

I copied the Article but couldn't find the Thread. I remember the funeral of the children, very sad . I also thought at the time that the Mother in particular looked heartbroken.
Panda
Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon 5 Nov - 14:00

Panda, there's a reasonably quick way to find old topics. If you posted on it yourself check out your topics via your profile.

Judging by their ages, these two men are the same ones who have been arrested previously and released on bail.

I'm baffled as to what motive the Philpotts had to kill their children - remembering of course that they haven't been convicted.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Panda Mon 5 Nov - 14:17

Not Born Yesterday wrote:Panda, there's a reasonably quick way to find old topics. If you posted on it yourself check out your topics via your profile.

Judging by their ages, these two men are the same ones who have been arrested previously and released on bail.

I'm baffled as to what motive the Philpotts had to kill their children - remembering of course that they haven't been convicted.

I was checking in the Daily News threadWoman arrested after 5 children die in fire in Derby - Page 2 294124I never heard of checking my topics on my Profile.......see, no-one tells me anything.......mucho gracias NBYWoman arrested after 5 children die in fire in Derby - Page 2 944533
Panda
Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon 5 Nov - 14:20

Sorry, I meant to say go to yourself on the members list and then to your statistics.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Panda Mon 5 Nov - 15:44

Not Born Yesterday wrote:Sorry, I meant to say go to yourself on the members list and then to your statistics.

O.K. will try it now.
Panda
Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  chrissie Mon 5 Nov - 15:46

Panda wrote:
Not Born Yesterday wrote:Sorry, I meant to say go to yourself on the members list and then to your statistics.

O.K. will try it now.

Panda, you can also put key words in the search box at the top right hand corner of the screen. That's how I usually do it.
chrissie
chrissie
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  Panda Mon 5 Nov - 16:00

chrissie wrote:
Panda wrote:

O.K. will try it now.

Panda, you can also put key words in the search box at the top right hand corner of the screen. That's how I usually do it.

chrissie, I tried that but all I got was about 6 different suggestions from one word I thought was key....anyway, I tried NBY and it worked. Trouble was, I was scrolling back on Daily News and the topic was on UK.News.Woman arrested after 5 children die in fire in Derby - Page 2 294124
Panda
Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  kitti Mon 5 Nov - 20:45

They will prob be told to plead guilty and get a Manslaughter charge....
kitti
kitti
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 13400
Warning :

Registration date : 2009-06-21

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon 5 Nov - 22:22

A third person has now been charged with murder.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-derbyshire-20215262
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  chrissie Mon 17 Dec - 15:20

Rupert Evelyn ‏@rupertevelyn

Mick & Mairead Philpott have just pleaded "not guilty" to manslaughter of their 6 children

Paul Moseley has also entered a plea of "not guilty" to the manslaughter of the 6 Philpott children
chrissie
chrissie
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  chrissie Mon 17 Dec - 15:34

The murder charges which the Philpott's had previously faced have been "stayed"

"stayed" definition is a stoppage or arrest of action; suspension of a judicial proceeding

I wonder why this is?

chrissie
chrissie
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon 17 Dec - 16:13

They now face manslaughter charges.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-derbyshire-20758906

I always found it hard to believe that they actually intended to kill their children.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  chrissie Mon 17 Dec - 16:20

I agree NBY. I think it may have been a plan to get a larger house which went very tragically wrong.
chrissie
chrissie
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  wjk Mon 17 Dec - 16:51

chrissie wrote:I agree NBY. I think it may have been a plan to get a larger house which went very tragically wrong.
Yes, I think you're right. How awful and how stupid of them!!
wjk
wjk
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 7815
Warning :

Registration date : 2009-08-20

Back to top Go down

Post  Panda Fri 1 Mar - 17:53

Philpott Trial Hears Secret Police Recordings

Police recorded Mick Philpott, whose children died in a
house fire, asking his wife "are we sticking to the story?" jury told.

4:32pm UK, Friday
01 March 2013

Woman arrested after 5 children die in fire in Derby - Page 2 Philpott-new-1-522x293
Video: Philpotts' 999 Call Played In
Court
Enlarge

• By David Crabtree, Midlands Correspondent

A man accused of starting a house fire which killed his six
    children is alleged to have whispered to his wife: "I didn't mean to do it. On
    my life."

Mick Philpott, 56, his wife Mairead, 31, and a third defendant Paul Mosley
    each deny six counts of manslaughter after the blaze in Derby last May.

In the days after the fire, covert recordings were made of the Philpotts'
    conversations in a police vehicle and a hotel bedroom.

In the van on May 31, Mick is heard asking his wife: "Are we sticking to the
    story?"

Mairead replies: "Hmmm." Mick whispers: "Good."

He then asks her: "Do you know something? Have they got any evidence on you?
    They've got nothing on me, nothing."

During another conversation he said to his wife: "I love you so much. Look at
    me. We will walk free and prove our innocence, right?
    Woman arrested after 5 children die in fire in Derby - Page 2 Paul-mosley-edit-1-1-522x293 Paul Mosley is also on trial

"And then we will sort them out, promise you."

Mairead replied: "Yeah, like I said, we can't even bury the kids."

The Philpotts' defence team disputes the contents of some of the recordings
    and called Martin Barry, a forensics speech analyst, who said he had listened to
    the disputed recording "several thousand times".

The prosecution alleges Mick can be heard to say: "You definitely sticking
    with the story? I didn't mean to do it, on my life."

Mr Barry agreed the comments "definitely sticking with the story" and "on my
    life" could be heard, but disputed the words "you" and "I didn't mean to do
    it".

The expert told the court the comments were "unclear" and "obscured" by the
    noise of the van.

The prosecution claims the children's deaths were a result of a "plan"
    devised to frame Mick's ex-mistress Lisa Willis that went wrong.

The judge at Nottingham Crown Court also decided to allow the release of a
    999 call made on the night of the fire.

The Philpotts can be heard sobbing and pleading for help and telling the
    operator that the children were trapped in an upstairs bedroom.

Jade, 10, and brothers John, nine, Jack, eight, Jesse, six and Jayden, five,
    all perished in the blaze on Victory Road in Allenton.

Their brother Duwayne, 13, was taken to Derby Royal Hospital, but died three
    days later after being transferred to a Birmingham hospital.

The trial continues.
Panda
Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  Panda Mon 4 Mar - 18:10

Philpott House Fire: 'Children Died In Sleep'

The youngsters were most likely overcome by fumes, a court
hears during the trial of their parents Mick and Mairead Philpott.

4:44pm UK, Monday
04 March 2013
Woman arrested after 5 children die in fire in Derby - Page 2 Philpott-new-1-522x293
Accused: Mick and Mairead Philpott

• [email=?subject=Shared from Sky News: Philpott%20House%20Fire%3A%20%27Children%20Died%20In%20Sleep%27&body=Shared from Sky News: Philpott%20House%20Fire%3A%20%27Children%20Died%20In%20Sleep%27 http://news.sky.com/story/1059945]Email[/email]

!function(d,s,id){var js,fjs=d.getElementsByTagName(s)[0];if(!d.getElementById(id)){js=d.createElement(s);js.id=id;js.src="http://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js";fjs.parentNode.insertBefore(js,fjs);}}(document,"script","twitter-wjs");

window.___gcfg = {lang: 'en-GB'};

(function() {
var po = document.createElement('script'); po.type = 'text/javascript'; po.async = true;
po.src = 'https://apis.google.com/js/plusone.js';
var s = document.getElementsByTagName('script')[0]; s.parentNode.insertBefore(po, s);
})();

By David Crabtree, at Nottingham Crown Court

Five children allegedly killed by their parents in a house fire
probably died in their sleep, a court has heard.

Richard Latham QC, for the prosecution, told Nottingham Crown Court it was "a
blessing" that the youngsters were unaware of what happened.

They were most likely to have been overcome by fumes and rendered unconscious
without waking up, according to pathology reports. There were no 'before death'
injuries.

The sixth child to lose his life in the fire, 13-year-old Duwayne, died three
days later of a combination of smoke inhalation and cardiac arrest.

Duwayne, his sister Jade, 10, and her brothers John, 9, Jack, 8, Jesse, 6,
and Jayden, 5, all perished as a result of the blaze in May 2012.

Their parents Mick and Mairead Philpott, and a third defendant, Paul Moseley,
all deny six counts of manslaughter following the fire in Allenton, Derby.

Earlier, the court heard from forensic and scenes-of-crime experts who gave
technical details of what they found at the house.

Scientific support officer David Ciudisks said he seized a petrol-driven
strimmer from the bottom of the garden. He decanted the fuel for analysis.

Fire service investigator Mat Lee said it was not possible to say whether
petrol was poured through the letter box, because the door was destroyed in the
blaze.

But petrol was detected on the floor close to the inside of the doorway.

The case continues.
Panda
Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  Panda Wed 6 Mar - 17:07

Philpott Weeps As Police Interviews Read Out

A court hears tapes of police interviews in which Mick
Philpott denied starting the fire that killed six of his children.

3:27pm UK,
Wednesday 06 March 2013
Mick and Mairead Philpott are accused of killing their
six children

By Lisa Dowd, Midlands Correspondent

A father accused of killing six of his children in a house fire
wept in court as the police interviews following his arrest were read out.

Mick Philpott and his wife Mairead deny six counts of manslaughter following
the blaze at their home on Victory Road in Allenton, Derby last May.

A third defendant, Paul Mosley, also denies manslaughter.

Jade Philpott, 10, and brothers John, nine, Jack, eight, Jessie, six and
Jayden, five all perished in the fire.

Their older brother Duwayne, 13, died three days later in hospital.

DC Steve Barnes interviewed Philpott after his arrest. When the detective
cautioned Mick, he replied: "I understand, I can't believe it."

Later he said: "I don't think you understand what it is like losing six
children."

Philpott told the detective that before the fire, at 7.30pm, Mosley, also
known as Shakey, had come to the house to play pool and Philpott had obtained
cannabis for his friend.

He said Mosley left at 12.45am, and that he and Mairead fell asleep in the
conservatory watching the film Centurion.

Philpott was woken by an alarm and saw "bright lights at the door".

He knew it was a fire and heard a "whoosh", adding: "It wasn't like an
explosion it was a pop sound."

Philpott said he put his Derby County jogging bottoms on, went through to the
back of the house, got ladders and put them up to Jade's window.

He tried to smash it first with a tennis racket, then a wrench.

"I smashed the window about five times, I wish now I could have got in, it
would have been me in that morgue and not my kids," he said.

Philpott said he was restrained by police officers from trying to get back in
the house.

The prosecution allege that the defendants started the fire to frame Mick's
ex girlfriend Lisa Willis, who he was in a custody battle with.

Ms Willis and her children used to live with the Philpotts and their
children, but left three months before the fire.

Asked about Ms Willis, Philpott said: "I treated her like a queen. For the
past four years I have given her all my attention and not to my wife.

"It came to a couple of points where I asked Mairead for a divorce, so I
could marry Lisa."

The court heard that Lisa had been chief bridesmaid at Mick and Mairead's
wedding.

"It was a three-way relationship between me, Mairead and Lisa," he said.
"It's just something that happened."

Philpott also told the detective: "You will find residents (residue) on my
clothes and shoes from the strimmer, you might find it on Duwayne's too."

In the interview he also said petrol would be found in the kitchen, front
room, conservatory, snooker room and the garden, where he had carried the
strimmer through.

When asked by a detective whether he was responsible for the fire, he
replied: "Watch these eyes, categorically no, nor was my wife."

The trial continues.
Panda
Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  Panda Wed 13 Mar - 16:57

Mick Philpott denies starting the house fire which killed
six of his young children, but says he has his suspicions who did.

4:16pm UK,
Wednesday 13 March 2013
Mick Philpott and wife Mairead are accused of killing
their six children

By Darren Little, Nottingham Crown Court

A father accused of killing six of his children in a house fire
slumped in the dock as his frantic 999 call was played to a court.

A sobbing Mick Philpott put his head in his hands and almost disappeared from
view as a jury at Nottingham Crown Court listened to the recording.

Once the phone call finished Philpott was asked if he wanted a break, but got
back to his feet and insisted on continuing to give evidence.

"I was hysterical," he said.

"How do you explain not being able to get to your babies?"

He wept as he said he was “screaming for his daughter” after climbing a
ladder and trying to break her bedroom window.

Giving evidence at the start of his defence, the 56-year-old insisted he had
nothing to do with the blaze - but that he had his suspicions about who did.

Anthony Orchard QC, defending Philpott, asked him: "Did you set the
fire?"

"No," Philpott replied.

"Are you connected to the setting of the fire?" the counsel continued.
Philpott responded: "No."
Woman arrested after 5 children die in fire in Derby - Page 2 Floral-tributes-outside-house-1-522x293 Floral tributes outside the Philpott home in
May last year

Mr Orchard then asked the defendant if he knew who did start the blaze, to
which Philpott replied that he did not.

Asked by the counsel: "Do you have your suspicions?" - Philpott answered: "I
do."

Philpott admitted he, his wife and their co-accused Paul Mosley had engaged
in sexual activity just hours before the fire.

After Mr Mosley had left in the early hours of the morning, Philpott said he
and his wife had gone to bed and were woken by the fire alarm.

He said he tried to get up the stairs to his children but could not get
through the smoke and fire.

When asked again about whether he was responsible for the fire Philpott said:
"It’s impossible for me or my wife to do. They (the children) are my life, my
heart. They’re everything to me."

Jade, 10, and brothers John, nine, Jack, eight, Jesse, six and Jayden, five,
all perished in the blaze on Victory Road in Allenton in May last year.

Their brother Duwayne, 13, was taken to Derby Royal Hospital but died three
days later after being transferred to a Birmingham hospital.

Mick Philpott, 56, and his wife Mairead, 31, deny killing their six children
after a "plan" to frame his ex-mistress Lisa Willis went wrong. A third
defendant, Paul Mosley, 46, also denies six counts of manslaughter.

Miss Willis, 29, lived with the Philpotts and her five children, four of whom
were fathered by Mick Philpott, until she left with the youngsters in February
last year.

Asked about their relationship, he said: "At that particular time I thought
that me and Lisa had this bond that was inseparable."

Philpott told the court he spent a lot of time with his wife and slept with
Miss Willis in the evenings.

The court heard he openly discussed his desire to divorce his wife and marry
Miss Willis, but said his wife would never leave him.

"She was not going anywhere," he told the jury. "Mairead will always be my
wife, even if we got divorced."

Whilst giving evidence, Philpott became emotional while talking of his wife’s
attempted suicide after Miss Willis moved out.

Philpott told the court he was “distraught” when he realised his wife had
taken an overdose.

He admitted the suicide attempt was a “wake up call”, and admitted he had
“made mistakes and had not been the best husband".

Jurors also heard of the family's appearance on television on the Jeremy Kyle
Show - a move Philpott said he regretted because his children were bullied and
the family received death threats afterwards.

Asked why he decided to go on the chat show by Mr Orchard, Philpott replied:
"We all decided. At that time we needed a bigger house."

In response to claims that the fire was set last year because the family
wanted a bigger house, Philpott told the court: "The house was quite
sufficient."

The trial continues.

Panda
Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next