Missing Madeleine
Come join us...there's more inside you cannot see as a guest!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Missing Madeleine
Come join us...there's more inside you cannot see as a guest!
Missing Madeleine
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

LATEST NEWS ON DEWANI MURDER

+51
AnnaEsse
chrissie
Lillyofthevalley
Badboy
Loopdaloop
mara thon
fuzeta
Angelina
Annabel
buildersbum
margaret
halfamo
Indigo
docmac
tanszi
Dimsie
Angelique
jejune
fred
Karen
POPPY1
blossom45
lifeisforliving
T4two
SteveT
pennylane
Chris
Alpine Aster
mumbles
zodiac
Wallflower
bootsy
MaryB
Midas
Christine
Fudge
contrary
Roasted Arizona
xtina
frencheuropean
Colonel Fabien
dutchclogs
maebee
nospinnaker
jassi
keepingmum
Carolina
Claudia79
flower
hobnob
fedrules
55 posters

Page 7 of 26 Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 16 ... 26  Next

Go down

LATEST NEWS ON DEWANI MURDER - Page 7 Empty Re: LATEST NEWS ON DEWANI MURDER

Post  fred Thu 9 Dec - 11:10

AnnaEsse wrote:
T4two wrote:
Dewani's QC Clare Montgomery dismissed the allegations facing him as "demonstrably false".

She accused the South Africans of trying to set him up for the murder to stop tourists being discouraged from visiting the country.

Not a very convincing argument and it reminds me of something someone else said about the Portuguese.

The Portuguese police did not want a murder on their hands!

Yes one of the Great Clarence quotes.
fred
fred
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Number of posts : 4927
Warning :
LATEST NEWS ON DEWANI MURDER - Page 7 Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100LATEST NEWS ON DEWANI MURDER - Page 7 Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2009-08-25

Back to top Go down

Post  T4two Thu 9 Dec - 11:12

AnnaEsse wrote:
T4two wrote:
Dewani's QC Clare Montgomery dismissed the allegations facing him as "demonstrably false".

She accused the South Africans of trying to set him up for the murder to stop tourists being discouraged from visiting the country.

Not a very convincing argument and it reminds me of something someone else said about the Portuguese.

Thanks for jogging my memory. Right, a murder; the inference being that the Portuguese were 'stitching up' the McCanns because they didn't want to have a murder which had been carried out by a Portuguese - bad for tourism. Why murder? I asked myself at the time - and I'm still puzzled as to why she used that word.
T4two
T4two
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Male
Number of posts : 1689
Warning :
LATEST NEWS ON DEWANI MURDER - Page 7 Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100LATEST NEWS ON DEWANI MURDER - Page 7 Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2009-09-14

Back to top Go down

Post  T4two Thu 9 Dec - 11:32

fred wrote:
AnnaEsse wrote:
T4two wrote:

Yes one of the Great Clarence quotes.

Think it was a Kate McCann quote?

As Mrs McCann succinctly put it just hours before being named as a suspect: "The police don't want a murder in Portugal and all the publicity about them not having paedophile laws here, so they're blaming us."
She added: "The Portuguese police are running out of budget for this investigation and want it to end."
Mr McCann, who until now has steadfastly refused to criticise the police, despairingly told a friend: "We are being absolutely stitched up."
The McCanns' friends believe the 130-day investigation has been politically driven, with a determination to make the couple scapegoats in order to protect the Algarve's all-important tourist industry.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1562714/McCanns-suffer-stain-of-suspicion.html
T4two
T4two
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Male
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu 9 Dec - 11:34

margaret wrote:
Chris wrote:
AnnaEsse wrote:Sky News is telling us that Dewani is fighting extradition. So, what happened to his spokesman's assurance that he would go back to South Africa and answer any question 'to get the truth out.'?

Bold words until tested!

I see there is also some CCTV which may have recorded a pay-off.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/3267547/Murder-suspect-Shrien-Dewani-caught-on-CCTV-paying-cash-to-plot-claim-cabbie.html

The article also includes the quote:

And a source close to him said: "This may be one of many instances where the wrong conclusions are being drawn and two plus two is being made to equal five."

That reminds me of something similar I have read elsewhere.

Now what did l say yesterday...? I think that was the 'delicate matter' Anis dad spoke about, l bet he had to go and view that footage and indentify Shrien as the person handing the money over. LATEST NEWS ON DEWANI MURDER - Page 7 192282

Well if they have that kind of evidence it's very hard to see how Dewani will be able to explain it away.
On the other hand, I still haven't heard a really convincing motive for him killing a woman he'd only just married. Also, if the driver reckons Dewani arranged to have someone murdered in SA before, why didn't he go through the same contacts (or is arranging a murder a service that any South African taxi driver will provide)? Presumably the police will be able to check who Dewani has visited SA with in the past, if he ever has, and whether his travelling companions are still alive to tell the tale.
Of course, whether the driver is right or wrong about Dewani's alleged past murders doesn't mean he did not (or did) arrange to kill Anni, but it will affect his credibility as a witness.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  docmac Thu 9 Dec - 11:45

The motive does seem unclear to many right now. But that is for the police and the courts to establish and I'm pretty sure it will be. It does seem evident there is a great deal of evidence mounting against this man and lack of apparent motive is certainly not sufficient cause not to put him on trial - or indeed to obtain a conviction. His motive can go to the grave with him for all I care. As long as justice is served.
docmac
docmac
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Number of posts : 1936
Warning :
LATEST NEWS ON DEWANI MURDER - Page 7 Left_bar_bleue30 / 10030 / 100LATEST NEWS ON DEWANI MURDER - Page 7 Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2010-07-21

Back to top Go down

Post  Claudia79 Thu 9 Dec - 11:51

AnnaEsse wrote:
T4two wrote:

Sure. because before they came here on holiday, there had never been a murder! LATEST NEWS ON DEWANI MURDER - Page 7 294124 Stupid people.
Claudia79
Claudia79
Administrator
Administrator

Female
Number of posts : 7007
Warning :

http://proud-of-the-pj.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu 9 Dec - 11:55

docmac wrote:The motive does seem unclear to many right now. But that is for the police and the courts to establish and I'm pretty sure it will be. It does seem evident there is a great deal of evidence mounting against this man and lack of apparent motive is certainly not sufficient cause not to put him on trial - or indeed to obtain a conviction. His motive can go to the grave with him for all I care. As long as justice is served.

If the man did the deed, I hope he gets banged up, Docmac. I strongly dislike Brits who commit crimes abroad and then run back here and start hiding behind expensive PRs and lawyers. Certainly, I see no reason why he shouldn't be extradited to stand trial.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  keepingmum Thu 9 Dec - 12:01

oooh - who can you mean?
keepingmum
keepingmum
Elite Member
Elite Member

Number of posts : 325
Warning :

Registration date : 2009-11-28

Back to top Go down

Post  T4two Thu 9 Dec - 12:01

Popcorn wrote:
margaret wrote:
Chris wrote:
AnnaEsse wrote:Sky News is telling us that Dewani is fighting extradition. So, what happened to his spokesman's assurance that he would go back to South Africa and answer any question 'to get the truth out.'?

Bold words until tested!

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/3267547/Murder-suspect-Shrien-Dewani-caught-on-CCTV-paying-cash-to-plot-claim-cabbie.html

And a source close to him said: "This may be one of many instances where the wrong conclusions are being drawn and two plus two is being made to equal five."

Now what did l say yesterday...? I think that was the 'delicate matter' Anis dad spoke about, l bet he had to go and view that footage and indentify Shrien as the person handing the money over. LATEST NEWS ON DEWANI MURDER - Page 7 192282

Well if they have that kind of evidence it's very hard to see how Dewani will be able to explain it away.
On the other hand, I still haven't heard a really convincing motive for him killing a woman he'd only just married. Also, if the driver reckons Dewani arranged to have someone murdered in SA before, why didn't he go through the same contacts (or is arranging a murder a service that any South African taxi driver will provide)? Presumably the police will be able to check who Dewani has visited SA with in the past, if he ever has, and whether his travelling companions are still alive to tell the tale.
Of course, whether the driver is right or wrong about Dewani's alleged past murders doesn't mean he did not (or did) arrange to kill Anni, but it will affect his credibility as a witness.

The possible motive is a mystery to me too, but according to other posters, we're dealing with a phenomenon which is not unusual in Indian culture. The whole thing has more than a touch of déjà vu about it however - especially the bit about being stitched up by the South Africans because they are protecting their tourist industry. The police are of course quite oblivious to the fact that the inevitable accusations of stitching someone up in this way would attract far more attention to the case and make it far more damaging for the tourist industry than if they banged up a few of the locals allowing the matter to be forgotten relatively quickly.
T4two
T4two
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Male
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  margaret Thu 9 Dec - 12:11

I'd like to know when Max Clifford is going to jump ship, PR not required if he's off to face trial.
margaret
margaret
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 4406
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris Thu 9 Dec - 12:12

T4two wrote:
The possible motive is a mystery to me too, but according to other posters, we're dealing with a phenomenon which is not unusual in Indian culture. The whole thing has more than a touch of déjà vu about it however - especially the bit about being stitched up by the South Africans because they are protecting their tourist industry. The police are of course quite oblivious to the fact that the inevitable accusations of stitching someone up in this way would attract far more attention to the case and make it far more damaging for the tourist industry than if they banged up a few of the locals allowing the matter to be forgotten relatively quickly.

I would have thought the tourist industry could actually benefit. 15,000 Rand? Its a bit like monopoly money if you are looking to bump someone off and much cheaper than the current UK rate (or so I am reliably informed) even with the cost of a flight and a couple of days in a hotel. You can even get airmiles!
Chris
Chris
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Number of posts : 1632
Warning :

Registration date : 2010-05-27

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu 9 Dec - 12:22

T4two wrote:
Popcorn wrote:
margaret wrote:
Chris wrote:

Bold words until tested!

Good point about the stupidity of a country's police force pinning murders on tourists in the name of protecting tourism, and a rep point from me. I must say, it was the sense of "deja vu" about this case that initially made me pay attention to it, and not in a favourable way for Mr Dewani. On closer inspection, I find myself torn, but I hope that more information will come out in court, and that all the right people are convicted.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

LATEST NEWS ON DEWANI MURDER - Page 7 Empty South African police chief calls husband of murdered bride 'a monkey' who thought he could get away with killing his wife there.

Post  mumbles Thu 9 Dec - 13:42

< snipped >

South Africa's top police officer was at the centre of a bizarre race row today after labelling the businessman accused of plotting the killing of his wife a 'monkey'

National police commissioner Bheki Cele made the comments while criticising Shrien Dewani for supposedly paying for his wife Anni to be killed in the crime-ridden nation.

Speaking in Limpopo province, the South African media reported him as saying: 'One monkey came from London to kill his wife here.

'He thought we South Africans were stupid. Don’t kill people here.'

A few days after the killing on November 13 Mr Cele said Dewani were not suspects.

His comments came as it was claimed the millionaire left an envelope of cash to pay for the hit in a taxi.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1337121/Honeymoon-murder-Shrien-Dewani-left-envelope-cash-taxi-pay-wifes-murder.html#ixzz17cbqkvO8
mumbles
mumbles
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 2121
Warning :

Registration date : 2009-02-03

Back to top Go down

Post  docmac Thu 9 Dec - 14:47

mumbles wrote:
< snipped >

South Africa's top police officer was at the centre of a bizarre race row today after labelling the businessman accused of plotting the killing of his wife a 'monkey'

National police commissioner Bheki Cele made the comments while criticising Shrien Dewani for supposedly paying for his wife Anni to be killed in the crime-ridden nation.

Speaking in Limpopo province, the South African media reported him as saying: 'One monkey came from London to kill his wife here.

A few days after the killing on November 13 Mr Cele said Dewani were not suspects.

His comments came as it was claimed the millionaire left an envelope of cash to pay for the hit in a taxi.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1337121/Honeymoon-murder-Shrien-Dewani-left-envelope-cash-taxi-pay-wifes-murder.html#ixzz17cbqkvO8

Monkey is a South African colloquialism, meaning idiot.
docmac
docmac
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Warning :
LATEST NEWS ON DEWANI MURDER - Page 7 Left_bar_bleue30 / 10030 / 100LATEST NEWS ON DEWANI MURDER - Page 7 Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post  T4two Thu 9 Dec - 15:19

docmac wrote:
mumbles wrote:
< snipped >

Yes, in England too - rogue or fool. It's just the Mail trying to put a racist spin on it. Pathetic really
T4two
T4two
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Male
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  fred Thu 9 Dec - 15:28

Typical Daily Mail though.
fred
fred
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Number of posts : 4927
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  AnnaEsse Thu 9 Dec - 15:31

docmac wrote:
mumbles wrote:
< snipped >

In Scotland too. It's fairly common for someone to be called 'a cheekie monkey.'
AnnaEsse
AnnaEsse
Administrator
Administrator

Female
Number of posts : 18693
Warning :

Registration date : 2009-09-23

http://frommybigdesk.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  docmac Thu 9 Dec - 15:55

AnnaEsse wrote:
docmac wrote:
mumbles wrote:
< snipped >

In Scotland too. It's fairly common for someone to be called 'a cheekie monkey.'

Yes I know. Just pointing out that monkey has no racist overtones, as has been inferred by the Mail. Actually, it's plain it was not inferred. It was simply IMPLIED. The fact that the 'monkey' statement came from a black and rather powerful South African makes it even more stupid imo.
docmac
docmac
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  AnnaEsse Thu 9 Dec - 16:06

docmac wrote:
AnnaEsse wrote:
docmac wrote:
mumbles wrote:
< snipped >

Yes I know. Just pointing out that monkey has no racist overtones, as has been inferred by the Mail. Actually, it's plain it was not inferred. It was simply IMPLIED. The fact that the 'monkey' statement came from a black and rather powerful South African makes it even more stupid imo.

Exactly, docmac!
AnnaEsse
AnnaEsse
Administrator
Administrator

Female
Number of posts : 18693
Warning :

Registration date : 2009-09-23

http://frommybigdesk.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  jejune Thu 9 Dec - 18:56

"She said Mr Dewani had never visited South Africa before, so could not have arranged any previous attack."

I imagine that's why terrorists can't set up plans to kill people, because they've never visited the country they're targetting LATEST NEWS ON DEWANI MURDER - Page 7 303636 .
jejune
jejune
Elite Member
Elite Member

Female
Number of posts : 312
Warning :

Registration date : 2009-09-15

Back to top Go down

Post  docmac Thu 9 Dec - 19:25

jejune wrote:"She said Mr Dewani had never visited South Africa before, so could not have arranged any previous attack."

I imagine that's why terrorists can't set up plans to kill people, because they've never visited the country they're targetting LATEST NEWS ON DEWANI MURDER - Page 7 303636 .

I think he has indeed been here before. He also has family living here (not in Cape Town).

There is a huge uproar in the Western Cape legislature and in the community at large at the moment, as it has come to light that a fair sprinkling of bookings by foreign travellers for the summer season have been cancelled. There will undoubtedly be a knock-on effect too. Tourism is by far the biggest money-spinner for this popular and beautiful part of the world. Not for nothing is Cape Town rated by Conde Nast readers as one of the 5 most desirable travel destinations on the planet, I assure you.

There is already a negative perception of crime in SA, though the figures are hugely distorted by violent crime within the very sort of area that the lady was killed in. Attacks and other serious crimes against foreigners are almost unheard of in Cape Town and are rare in most of the rest of SA. This man has much to be ashamed of if he is guilty of this crime - and I have no doubt that he is. His callous, barbaric action is going to have an impact on the tourism industry of the region, however small. And as most people would know, this is going to result in some job losses and subsequent hardship for the sort of folks who can least afford it.
docmac
docmac
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  docmac Thu 9 Dec - 21:48

There was a comment much earlier in this thread expressing doubt that this was an arranged marriage. We shall see...
docmac
docmac
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  Roasted Arizona Fri 10 Dec - 11:21

I've read this morning that there is suspicion that he might be gay. This could explain the motive? Maybe he didn't want to bring 'disgrace' on his family, so married to please them and then she was 'tragically' killed.
Roasted Arizona
Roasted Arizona
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Male
Number of posts : 719
Warning :

Registration date : 2009-08-26

Back to top Go down

Post  margaret Fri 10 Dec - 11:55

Breaking News

11:51am UK, Friday December 10, 2010
Honeymoon Murder: 'Husband Had Met Killer'

CCTV footage exists of repeated meetings between Shrien Dewani and the taxi driver accused of murdering the Briton's wife, it has been claimed.

A lawyer for South African authorities has told a court in London that the honeymooner spoke to Zola Tongo on the phone.

He also said cameras in the Cape Town hotel where the Dewanis were staying captured several meetings between the husband and Tongo, who has been jailed for 18 years over the murder.

The meetings allegedly took place both before and after Anni Dewani was shot dead.

Outside court, Sky News reporter Alistair Bunkall said: "The most interesting piece of evidence was footage apparently taken three days after Mrs Dewani's death, seeming to show the husband handing over a white packing to the driver
."

The lawyer offered the evidence as argument against granting Dewani bail, claiming he posed a significant flight risk.

A judge has revoked bail for the newlywed, who was not in court.

Dewani's family, however, attended proceedings - as did members of his wife's family.

As part of a plea bargain in South Africa, Tongo claimed he was paid by Dewani to organise the shooting.

-----

murdering barsteward.
margaret
margaret
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 4406
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  wjk Fri 10 Dec - 13:36

He's been granted bail!!
wjk
wjk
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 7815
Warning :

Registration date : 2009-08-20

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 26 Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 16 ... 26  Next