Missing Madeleine
Come join us...there's more inside you cannot see as a guest!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Missing Madeleine
Come join us...there's more inside you cannot see as a guest!
Missing Madeleine
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

LATEST NEWS ON DEWANI MURDER

+51
AnnaEsse
chrissie
Lillyofthevalley
Badboy
Loopdaloop
mara thon
fuzeta
Angelina
Annabel
buildersbum
margaret
halfamo
Indigo
docmac
tanszi
Dimsie
Angelique
jejune
fred
Karen
POPPY1
blossom45
lifeisforliving
T4two
SteveT
pennylane
Chris
Alpine Aster
mumbles
zodiac
Wallflower
bootsy
MaryB
Midas
Christine
Fudge
contrary
Roasted Arizona
xtina
frencheuropean
Colonel Fabien
dutchclogs
maebee
nospinnaker
jassi
keepingmum
Carolina
Claudia79
flower
hobnob
fedrules
55 posters

Page 6 of 26 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 16 ... 26  Next

Go down

LATEST NEWS ON DEWANI MURDER - Page 6 Empty Re: LATEST NEWS ON DEWANI MURDER

Post  jejune Wed 8 Dec - 18:05

T4two wrote:
jejune wrote:
T4two wrote:
Angelique wrote:I have also asked this before - if Shrien didn't want to marry Anni - why did he go ahead. Is he suffering from some malady perhaps.

Why, if the supposed "kidnapping" wasn't arranged - were these other people involved. If it wasn't true they would be superfluous. The taxi driver could have done the kidnapping himself.

Angelique

It doesn't add up, because if the intention had been to murder the wife, there is no point in staging an abduction for her benefit or of the participants. Perhaps the wife was supposed to be abducted for ransom and it all went horribly wrong?

It would have looked even more suspicious to simply kill her and let him go at the point where they were carjacked. In reality it's likely that they would both be killed at the same time. If Anni was taken to be sexually assaulted and robbed it seems highly likely that the husband wouldn't just be thrown out of the car completely unharmed. I can understand people finding it strange that someone would kill their bride on the honeymoon, when separation and divorce is the normal response to dissatisfaction with a marriage, but men have killed women (and children) for all sorts of pathetic reasons. I read somewhere that they were not even legally married, but rather had a type of wedding blessing, as Daweni is still legally married to a previous woman. Since then this information seems to have disappeared off the internet (courtesy of reputation protection services LATEST NEWS ON DEWANI MURDER - Page 6 424625?), but I definitely saw it.

As far as the families' culture is concerned - there was a Hindu wedding ceremony and a Hindu shrine created after the death, which suggests their culture is Hindu LATEST NEWS ON DEWANI MURDER - Page 6 25346 .

To whom would it have looked more suspicious? To the victim or to the perpetrators? Nobody else was present. There are after all no independent witnesses - so why stage a hijack at all? Why not just kill her and say there was a hijack?

To the police?
jejune
jejune
Elite Member
Elite Member

Female
Number of posts : 312
Warning :
LATEST NEWS ON DEWANI MURDER - Page 6 Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100LATEST NEWS ON DEWANI MURDER - Page 6 Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2009-09-15

Back to top Go down

Post  mumbles Wed 8 Dec - 18:09

jejune wrote:Although this isn't relevant to the discussion, I wonder if Shrien Dawani is the same Shrien Dewani, 22, general secretary of National Hindu Students Forum. This was in 2002, so the date matches with his age now. I thought it couldn't be when it was suggested he was a Sikh, but now I'm thinking there's a good chance it is him.

Yes. it's the same man.

http://www.thisisbristol.co.uk/news/Husband-Bristol-woman-shot-dead-South-Africa-begged-Don-t-kill-wife/article-2898202-detail/article.html

< Snippet>

"He was the general secretary of the National Hindu Students Forum and after university continued to assist the younger generation in maintaining their culture and religion.

"This now serves to help him in his own hour of grief."

mumbles
mumbles
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 2121
Warning :
LATEST NEWS ON DEWANI MURDER - Page 6 Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100LATEST NEWS ON DEWANI MURDER - Page 6 Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2009-02-03

Back to top Go down

Post  jejune Wed 8 Dec - 18:19

Thanks for that information, Mumbles.

"This now serves to help him in his own hour of grief." Who does that remind you of?

Last edited by jejune on Wed 8 Dec - 18:21; edited 1 time in total
jejune
jejune
Elite Member
Elite Member

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  T4two Wed 8 Dec - 18:20

jejune wrote:
T4two wrote:
jejune wrote:
T4two wrote:
Angelique wrote:I have also asked this before - if Shrien didn't want to marry Anni - why did he go ahead. Is he suffering from some malady perhaps.

Why, if the supposed "kidnapping" wasn't arranged - were these other people involved. If it wasn't true they would be superfluous. The taxi driver could have done the kidnapping himself.

Angelique

It doesn't add up, because if the intention had been to murder the wife, there is no point in staging an abduction for her benefit or of the participants. Perhaps the wife was supposed to be abducted for ransom and it all went horribly wrong?

It would have looked even more suspicious to simply kill her and let him go at the point where they were carjacked. In reality it's likely that they would both be killed at the same time. If Anni was taken to be sexually assaulted and robbed it seems highly likely that the husband wouldn't just be thrown out of the car completely unharmed. I can understand people finding it strange that someone would kill their bride on the honeymoon, when separation and divorce is the normal response to dissatisfaction with a marriage, but men have killed women (and children) for all sorts of pathetic reasons. I read somewhere that they were not even legally married, but rather had a type of wedding blessing, as Daweni is still legally married to a previous woman. Since then this information seems to have disappeared off the internet (courtesy of reputation protection services LATEST NEWS ON DEWANI MURDER - Page 6 424625?), but I definitely saw it.

As far as the families' culture is concerned - there was a Hindu wedding ceremony and a Hindu shrine created after the death, which suggests their culture is Hindu LATEST NEWS ON DEWANI MURDER - Page 6 25346 .

To whom would it have looked more suspicious? To the victim or to the perpetrators? Nobody else was present. There are after all no independent witnesses - so why stage a hijack at all? Why not just kill her and say there was a hijack?

To the police?

Wasn't very successful then? LATEST NEWS ON DEWANI MURDER - Page 6 23324
T4two
T4two
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Male
Number of posts : 1689
Warning :

Registration date : 2009-09-14

Back to top Go down

Post  jejune Wed 8 Dec - 18:25

T4two wrote:

No, I agree LATEST NEWS ON DEWANI MURDER - Page 6 944533 , but perhaps he thought the use of a PR consultant would overcome that drawback LATEST NEWS ON DEWANI MURDER - Page 6 23324 LATEST NEWS ON DEWANI MURDER - Page 6 23324 ?
jejune
jejune
Elite Member
Elite Member

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  T4two Wed 8 Dec - 18:30

jejune wrote:
T4two wrote:

No, I agree LATEST NEWS ON DEWANI MURDER - Page 6 944533 , but perhaps he thought the use of a PR consultant would overcome that drawback LATEST NEWS ON DEWANI MURDER - Page 6 23324 LATEST NEWS ON DEWANI MURDER - Page 6 23324 ?

LATEST NEWS ON DEWANI MURDER - Page 6 23324 LATEST NEWS ON DEWANI MURDER - Page 6 23324 LATEST NEWS ON DEWANI MURDER - Page 6 23324 LATEST NEWS ON DEWANI MURDER - Page 6 307691
T4two
T4two
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Male
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  flower Wed 8 Dec - 20:58

Midas wrote:
buildersbum wrote:Just listend to Max Clifford speaking on the News, Im shocked that Clifford could be taken in so easly, or has he seen how Mitchell has had such alot of media attention from the McCann case that he though I would like some of that, I had to smile to myself when the news reader said that a close family member said this charge "is ludicrous" LATEST NEWS ON DEWANI MURDER - Page 6 25346

LATEST NEWS ON DEWANI MURDER - Page 6 944533

I could smell a rat at that point too. But I was most intrigued when I heard they were getting hold of PREVIOUS TELPHONE RECORDS .......... Mmmmm ....... Let's see how quickly the police are given these in comparison to the McCann case.

We may be able to question why we can send phone records to South Africa ...... but not Portugal.

I wonder how things are at the moment in the McCann household??................ So many comparisons between this and them.................. I'll bet they are terrified (or maybe not - knowing them!!) especially about these TXT messages and the words of Max Clifford................. it could almost be 'there but for the grace of God go we'................. How can The McCanns still be peddling the same old, same old after 3+ years......... it's unbelievable.................... And what's even more unbelievable is that there are still people out there who believe every word.................. They were fortunate with their story in that Madeleine went missing first - I can't believe that if the same thing was happening today that a soul in the world would believe them.............

Think I'm starting to wilt again - sorry LATEST NEWS ON DEWANI MURDER - Page 6 Icon_flower
flower
flower
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Number of posts : 678
Warning :

Registration date : 2009-09-02

Back to top Go down

Post  fred Wed 8 Dec - 21:02

They will just be laughing how they got away with the sardine munching incompetent PJ: Shame the asian bloke didn't have the same nous to copy them!!!
fred
fred
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Number of posts : 4927
Warning :

Registration date : 2009-08-25

Back to top Go down

Post  Midas Wed 8 Dec - 21:12

flower wrote:
Midas wrote:
buildersbum wrote:Just listend to Max Clifford speaking on the News, Im shocked that Clifford could be taken in so easly, or has he seen how Mitchell has had such alot of media attention from the McCann case that he though I would like some of that, I had to smile to myself when the news reader said that a close family member said this charge "is ludicrous" LATEST NEWS ON DEWANI MURDER - Page 6 25346

LATEST NEWS ON DEWANI MURDER - Page 6 944533

I could smell a rat at that point too. But I was most intrigued when I heard they were getting hold of PREVIOUS TELPHONE RECORDS .......... Mmmmm ....... Let's see how quickly the police are given these in comparison to the McCann case.

We may be able to question why we can send phone records to South Africa ...... but not Portugal.

I wonder how things are at the moment in the McCann household??................ So many comparisons between this and them.................. I'll bet they are terrified (or maybe not - knowing them!!) especially about these TXT messages and the words of Max Clifford................. it could almost be 'there but for the grace of God go we'................. How can The McCanns still be peddling the same old, same old after 3+ years......... it's unbelievable.................... And what's even more unbelievable is that there are still people out there who believe every word.................. They were fortunate with their story in that Madeleine went missing first - I can't believe that if the same thing was happening today that a soul in the world would believe them.............

Think I'm starting to wilt again - sorry LATEST NEWS ON DEWANI MURDER - Page 6 Icon_flower

Please don't wilt, flower. Join us at the fountain and drink deeply ....... because it will be interesting to see how these records are released in this case. LATEST NEWS ON DEWANI MURDER - Page 6 192282

Isn't it marvellous how people with money run to publicicts these days! Instead of sitting down with the police and answering questions truthfully.

Midas
Midas
Elite Member
Elite Member

Number of posts : 473
Warning :

Registration date : 2010-10-31

Back to top Go down

Post  flower Wed 8 Dec - 21:34

Please don't wilt, flower. Join us at the fountain and drink deeply ....... because it will be interesting to see how these records are released in this case. LATEST NEWS ON DEWANI MURDER - Page 6 192282

Isn't it marvellous how people with money run to publicicts these days! Instead of sitting down with the police and answering questions truthfully.

[/quote]

Thanks Midas - where is this Fountain?? Mine is a White Wine!! Seriously though - it's absolutely unbelievable - no way could I afford a Publicist - but the problem as I see it - is that even if you have a Publicist you should still have to answer police questions - and that is what has been serioulsy lacking in the whole McCann case......... there is no way 99% of the population would have been able to avoid police questioning - yet Kate and Gerry - and the whole of the Tapas lot have been able to do just that -WHY??
flower
flower
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Number of posts : 678
Warning :

Registration date : 2009-09-02

Back to top Go down

Post  docmac Wed 8 Dec - 22:01

From the Telegraph article:

Lawyers for the South African government also disclosed for the first time that Shrien Dewani withdrew around £1,000 in cash in the days before his wife Anni’s murder, including £800 on the eve of the shooting.

£800 would buy about 40 meals for each of them - including drinks - at the restaurant they went to that night. And leave more than enough for taxi fare.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/8190093/Honeymoon-murder-claim-Shrien-Dewani-organised-similar-killing-before.html
docmac
docmac
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Number of posts : 1936
Warning :
LATEST NEWS ON DEWANI MURDER - Page 6 Left_bar_bleue30 / 10030 / 100LATEST NEWS ON DEWANI MURDER - Page 6 Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2010-07-21

Back to top Go down

Post  kitti Thu 9 Dec - 7:56

They dont earn much in that country and £1,500 would keep a man and his 5 kids in fodd etc for a few years.

These three men were prob not that well educated and that sort off money prob sounded very enticing.

I feel sorry, just a bit, also for these men who were targeted to do this murder through lack off money.

So whoever payed them is more evil than the people who killed her.

kitti
kitti
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 13400
Warning :

Registration date : 2009-06-21

Back to top Go down

Post  AnnaEsse Thu 9 Dec - 8:07

Sky News is telling us that Dewani is fighting extradition. So, what happened to his spokesman's assurance that he would go back to South Africa and answer any question 'to get the truth out.'?
AnnaEsse
AnnaEsse
Administrator
Administrator

Female
Number of posts : 18693
Warning :

Registration date : 2009-09-23

http://frommybigdesk.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  mumbles Thu 9 Dec - 8:10

Handcuffed: The husband accused of honeymoon bride's murder and 'plotting an earlier killing in South Africa'

By Paul Harris and Tom Kelly
Last updated at 7:29 AM on 9th December 2010

* Videos
* Add to My Stories

* Businessman is accused of hiring two hitmen to target his wife Anni
* He denies 'ludicrous' allegations and is desperate to clear his name
* Head of South African opposition: 'He must be extradited'

The millionaire accused of plotting the ‘assassination’ of his wife on their honeymoon tried to orchestrate a similar hit on a previous visit to South Africa, a court has heard.

The astonishing claims were made in Cape Town by the taxi driver who alleges he was hired by Shrien Dewani to organise his bride’s death.

Zola Tongo was convinced Mr Dewani had earlier ‘arranged for someone to be killed in a fake hijacking’, Westminster Magistrates’ Court was told.
Shrien Dewani leaves Westminster Magistrates' Court, where South African authorities blocked his bail application
Shrien Dawani leaving Westminster Magistrates

Millionaire businessman Shrien Dewani leaves Westminster Magistrates' Court, where South African authorities blocked his bail application

The court heard Mr Dewani withdrew £800 from a Cape Town cashpoint on the eve of his wife’s murder last month.

Together with £200 he withdrew a few days earlier, it added up to 10,000 rand (£1,000) used to ‘pay for the assassination of his wife’, the court was told.

The 30-year-old bridegroom faces extradition to South Africa after being charged with conspiracy to murder his wife Anni on November 13 just two weeks after the couple married.
Shrien Dewani's father, Prakash, leaves the court after hearing that his son has been remanded in custody as the South African authorities fight to extradite him

Shrien Dewani's father, Prakash, leaves the court after hearing that his son has been remanded in custody as the South African authorities fight to extradite him
Anni Dewani's cousin leaves Westminster Magistrates' Court. Shrien Dewani has been accused of conspiring to murder his wife while on honeymoon near Cape Town in November

Anni Dewani's cousin leaves Westminster Magistrates' Court. Shrien Dewani has been accused of conspiring to murder his wife while on honeymoon near Cape Town in November

He was granted bail yesterday on condition his family provide a £250,000 surety and he is electronically tagged. But the decision was over-ridden before he could walk free after representatives of the South African government lodged an appeal.

Senior District Judge Howard Riddle said: ‘Either Mr Dewani over a period of time plotted the murder of his wife or he is one of the tragic victims of this incident.
Murdered: Shrien Dewani (left) is accused of involvement in the death of his wife Anni

Murdered: Shrien Dewani (left) is accused of involvement in the death of his wife Anni

‘It is clear there is evidence that has been put before me and on the face of it, and I put it no higher than that, evidence on which a trial could evidently proceed.’

But he added there was ‘a real possibility the defendant would be acquitted in due course’.

Mr Dewani, a care home owner from Bristol, will appear before the High Court – possibly today – where a more senior judge will decide if he can be granted bail.

His wife, 28, was shot dead after two gunmen ambushed the couple’s cab as they were driven through an impoverished township to see the ‘real Africa’.

The killers were allegedly organised by Tongo. Both he and Mr Dewani were released unharmed in the attack.

As part of a plea bargain, the driver later told police he had arranged the killing at Mr Dewani’s instigation. Tongo said Mr Dewani appeared to know what he was doing, barrister Ben Watson, representing the South African authorities, told the court.

‘He said he thought this man had been in South Africa before and done something like this before.

‘He said the man said he had previously arranged for someone to be killed in a fake hijacking in South Africa.’

Mr Watson added: ‘From the outset investigators were puzzled by the events and also suspicious of the accounts supplied by Mr Dewani and Mr Tongo.
Four key questions facing millionaire

Murdered: Anni Dewani was shot in a carjacking in Cape Town

Murdered: Anni Dewani was shot in a carjacking in Cape Town

‘Firstly they considered it strange the couple did not make use of the airport to hotel shuttle service to the 5-star Cape Grace where they were staying. They were suspicious that neither of the two men were injured while the victim had been brutally killed.’

Yesterday relatives of the wedding couple sat just a few feet apart in the courtroom.

The last time they were together like this was at a colourful Indian wedding in Mumbai.

As the first stage of the legal wrangle got under way, all the newlyweds’ relatives could do was to listen in silence.
Allegations: Taxi driver Zola Tongo at the South African court yesterday

Allegations: Taxi driver Zola Tongo at the South African court yesterday

Mr Dewani was led in by four security guards. He was unshaven and wearing a hooded sports top with a crest on the front and a number 8 on the back. He spoke only once during the hour long hearing, to give his name, date of birth and address.

His lawyer described him as ‘devastated’; his demeanour appeared to confirm it.
Enlarge Gugulethu locator map

He had led an ‘exemplary’ life, the court was told, came from a good family, had a university education and worked hard for his living. His barrister Clare Montgomery QC said anyone who knew the couple would be in no doubt they had ‘very strong feelings for one another’.

Mr Watson opposed bail saying Mr Dewani had access to large amounts of cash and was liable to flee because he faced life in a South African jail.

But Miss Montgomery described the evidence against him as ‘flimsy’, suggesting the charge had a political motivation. ‘It was readily apparent that the murder of Mrs Dewani would seriously damage the interests of South Africa if it emerged it was merely the work of a local gang,’ she said.

She said Mr Dewani had never visited South Africa before, so could not have arranged any previous attack.

Mr Dewani walked into Bristol police station on Tuesday night after he was accused in a South African court of ordering his wife’s death by Tongo. Tongo was sentenced to 18 years for his part in the killing, reduced from 25 years.

Two other men accused of the murder are due to stand trial in South Africa next year.

Last night, Anni’s sister Ami Denborg said she ‘does not know what to believe’ following the arrest of Mr Dewani.

‘It’s really difficult for the family to hear this, for everyone in this situation, and all we want is the truth.’

She added: ‘Shrien was such a nice guy and it’s just hard to believe.
Vinod Hindocha Dewani, Anni's father, wept in the court on Tuesday as he clutched a photo of his murdered daughter

Vinod Hindocha Dewani, Anni's father, wept in the court as he clutched a photo of his murdered daughter

The car in which Anni Dewani was found murdered is towed from the crime scene last month

The car in which Anni Dewani was found murdered is towed from the crime scene last month

SOUTH AFRICAN POLITICIANS AND MEDIA FURIOUS OVER SUGGESTIONS DEWANI IS INNOCENT

By DAN NEWLING

The arrest of Shrien Dewani risked turning into a full-scale diplomatic spat today as one of South Africa’s most senior politicians insisted that the Briton ‘must be extradited’.

Helen Zille, who is leader of the country’s main opposition party, appeared to believe the South African police’s claim that Mr Dewani arranged the murder of his wife, saying: ‘I can’t believe there is such evil in the world.’

Referring to the allegation that Mr Dewani employed three South Africans to carry out the ‘hit’ for him, Mrs Zille went on: ‘This evil appears to have been compounded by the abuse of South Africans.’

And reacting to accusations from Mr Dewani’s spokesman that the Briton is being ‘set up’ for the crime, Mrs Zille said: ‘If Max Clifford is telling the truth, his client will not hesitate to submit to cross-examination in a South African court of law.

‘I would prefer to believe a judge than Max Clifford. His comments about South Africa are outrageous. For him to try and tarnish our image enrages every South African.’

‘Shrien must be extradited,’ she added, ‘we must get to the truth of this gruesome murder.’

In speaking out so forcefully, Miss Zille tapped into popular anger towards Mr Dewani, coupled with a growing sense of relief that someone other than a South African is allegedly responsible for the crime.

Today practically all of South Africa’s newspapers accused Mr Dewani of trying to ‘exploit’ the country’s sky-high crime rate by arranging to have his wife murdered here.

The country’s powerful Congress of South African Trade Unions said: ‘The murder appears to have been planned on the assumption that hijacking and murder are believed to be so commonplace that it would be easy to stage a murder and then claim it was another normal criminal act.

‘Let us hope that the swift and efficient way in which this case has been dealt with, and the fact that it is now becoming clear that it was planned by a non-South African, will help to restore the country’s reputation to the levels we achieved during and after the World Cup.’

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1336695/Honeymoon-murder-Shrien-Dewani-plotted-kill-bride-Anni-earlier-South-Africa.html#ixzz17bGDe9nc
mumbles
mumbles
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 2121
Warning :

Registration date : 2009-02-03

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris Thu 9 Dec - 8:15

AnnaEsse wrote:Sky News is telling us that Dewani is fighting extradition. So, what happened to his spokesman's assurance that he would go back to South Africa and answer any question 'to get the truth out.'?

Bold words until tested!

I see there is also some CCTV which may have recorded a pay-off.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/3267547/Murder-suspect-Shrien-Dewani-caught-on-CCTV-paying-cash-to-plot-claim-cabbie.html

The article also includes the quote:

And a source close to him said: "This may be one of many instances where the wrong conclusions are being drawn and two plus two is being made to equal five."

That reminds me of something similar I have read elsewhere.
Chris
Chris
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Number of posts : 1632
Warning :

Registration date : 2010-05-27

Back to top Go down

Post  AnnaEsse Thu 9 Dec - 8:22

Chris wrote:
AnnaEsse wrote:Sky News is telling us that Dewani is fighting extradition. So, what happened to his spokesman's assurance that he would go back to South Africa and answer any question 'to get the truth out.'?

Bold words until tested!

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/3267547/Murder-suspect-Shrien-Dewani-caught-on-CCTV-paying-cash-to-plot-claim-cabbie.html

And a source close to him said: "This may be one of many instances where the wrong conclusions are being drawn and two plus two is being made to equal five."

HONEYMOON murder suspect Shrien Dewani was seen on CCTV paying cash to the cabbie who claims the millionaire Briton arranged the killing of his bride, The Sun can reveal.

Footage from a camera at a posh Cape Town restaurant recorded a private meeting between the care home tycoon and driver Zola Tongo after wife Anni's death.

The film and examinations of phone call and text records prompted South African authorities to launch moves to extradite Dewani, 30.

He appeared in a London court yesterday after presenting himself at a police station on Tuesday night following Tongo's allegations that he hired hitmen to kill Anni, 28, and arranged a fake carjacking to cover up the crime.

Tongo claimed Dewani paid him £90 to help him find a killer and stage the carjacking.

A police source in Cape Town, where the honeymooning couple's taxi was ambushed in a crime-ridden township last month, said: "Tongo's claim he was given money by Dewani after Anni's death is backed up in full colour on video.

"CCTV footage shows them meeting in a restaurant area of a hotel and Shrien Dewani hands money to the driver.

"This was days after Anni's body was found, at a time when Dewani was staying in the Cape Grace Hotel and being comforted by relatives.

"The driver's statements are also supported by witness statements and phone records at crucial times.

"Police believe they have enough evidence to prosecute Dewani and that there is a clear case to answer."

It was unclear last night why the businessman, of Westbury-on-Trym, Bristol, handed over the money - and whether he was simply paying a fare.

South African investigators are also puzzled about Dewani's decision to hire 31-year-old Tongo on arrival in Cape Town despite the availability of a hotel courier service.

Advertisement

Tongo has been jailed for 18 years after confessing to being part of a plot with locals Xolile Mngeni, 23, and Mzwamadoda Qwabe, 25.

Dewani, being held on suspicion of conspiracy to murder, was led away in handcuffs after a dramatic extradition hearing at City of Westminster court.

District judge Howard Riddle awarded him bail despite hearing he posed a serious risk of doing a bunk.

The judge imposed stringent conditions including an electronic tag and a £250,000 surety from his family.

But in yet another twist to the case barrister Ben Watson, acting for South African authorities, launched an immediate appeal.

That ensured Dewani, wearing sport clothes emblazoned with his initials, remained in custody prior to a High Court hearing. That is likely today.

Dewani's QC Clare Montgomery dismissed the allegations facing him as "demonstrably false".

She accused the South Africans of trying to set him up for the murder to stop tourists being discouraged from visiting the country.

The QC added: "He was very much in love with his wife."

Swedish-born Anni's sister Ami said last night: "I don't know what to believe."

AnnaEsse
AnnaEsse
Administrator
Administrator

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  keepingmum Thu 9 Dec - 8:58

Anni's sister said "I don't know what to believe" apparently.

I do.
keepingmum
keepingmum
Elite Member
Elite Member

Number of posts : 325
Warning :

Registration date : 2009-11-28

Back to top Go down

Post  AnnaEsse Thu 9 Dec - 9:00

keepingmum wrote:Anni's sister said "I don't know what to believe" apparently.

I do.

Me too!

A police source in Cape Town, where the honeymooning couple's taxi was ambushed in a crime-ridden township last month, said: "Tongo's claim he was given money by Dewani after Anni's death is backed up in full colour on video.

"CCTV footage shows them meeting in a restaurant area of a hotel and Shrien Dewani hands money to the driver.

"This was days after Anni's body was found, at a time when Dewani was staying in the Cape Grace Hotel and being comforted by relatives.

"The driver's statements are also supported by witness statements and phone records at crucial times.

Why would he have been meeting the taxi driver and possibly handing over money after his wife's death?
AnnaEsse
AnnaEsse
Administrator
Administrator

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  POPPY1 Thu 9 Dec - 9:07

AnnaEsse wrote:
keepingmum wrote:Anni's sister said "I don't know what to believe" apparently.

I do.

Me too!

Why would he have been meeting the taxi driver and possibly handing over money after his wife's death?

Now the question arises, did he take out a large insurance policy on his wife ?
POPPY1
POPPY1
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Male
Number of posts : 1103
Warning :

Registration date : 2010-01-18

Back to top Go down

Post  docmac Thu 9 Dec - 10:05

AFAIK this was in fact the very same night - or possibly in the morning - after he and Tongo were taken back to the hotel by investigators.
docmac
docmac
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Warning :
LATEST NEWS ON DEWANI MURDER - Page 6 Left_bar_bleue30 / 10030 / 100LATEST NEWS ON DEWANI MURDER - Page 6 Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post  docmac Thu 9 Dec - 10:12

December 9 2010 at 11:52am

British millionaire Shrien Dewani was arrested in London for suspected involvement in his wife Anni's murder, the BBC reported.

The SA Police Service remained mum on Thursday as new rumours flew around about the Anni Dewani murder case, including claims that her husband had plotted another similar murder in South Africa.

We definitely won't give information,” said national police spokeswoman Brigadier Sally de Beer, responding to a statement that had been made by the SA government's lawyer, Ben Watson.

He told the Westminster Magistrate's Court in England that the taxi driver, Zola Tonga, who had implicated Shrien Dewani in his wife's murder, also believed that Dewani had in the past arranged another murder in the country in similar circumstances, reported the UK-based Press Association.

Watson said Tonga got the impression that Dewani had been in South Africa before and that he had said he had previously arranged for someone to be killed in a fake hijacking in South Africa.

But De Beer would not say anything about this, and neither did she want to comment on a report in the UK-based The Sun newspaper that the police had closed circuit television footage of Shrien Dewani paying the taxi driver a few days after the murder.

We present our information as evidence in court. We really can't discuss it beforehand,” said De Beer.

http://www.iol.co.za/news/crime-courts/tongo-s-claim-backed-by-cctv-footage-1.999413

Slowly...catcheee...monkey
docmac
docmac
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  margaret Thu 9 Dec - 10:27

Chris wrote:

Bold words until tested!

Now what did l say yesterday...? I think that was the 'delicate matter' Anis dad spoke about, l bet he had to go and view that footage and indentify Shrien as the person handing the money over. LATEST NEWS ON DEWANI MURDER - Page 6 192282
margaret
margaret
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 4406
Warning :

Registration date : 2009-08-25

Back to top Go down

Post  docmac Thu 9 Dec - 10:41

margaret wrote:
Chris wrote:

Bold words until tested!

Now what did l say yesterday...? I think that was the 'delicate matter' Anis dad spoke about, l bet he had to go and view that footage and indentify Shrien as the person handing the money over. LATEST NEWS ON DEWANI MURDER - Page 6 192282

I do believe you were right, Margaret LATEST NEWS ON DEWANI MURDER - Page 6 307691
docmac
docmac
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  T4two Thu 9 Dec - 10:48

Dewani's QC Clare Montgomery dismissed the allegations facing him as "demonstrably false".

She accused the South Africans of trying to set him up for the murder to stop tourists being discouraged from visiting the country.

Not a very convincing argument and it reminds me of something someone else said about the Portuguese.
T4two
T4two
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Male
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  AnnaEsse Thu 9 Dec - 10:56

T4two wrote:

Not a very convincing argument and it reminds me of something someone else said about the Portuguese.

The Portuguese police did not want a murder on their hands!
AnnaEsse
AnnaEsse
Administrator
Administrator

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 26 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 16 ... 26  Next