Missing Madeleine
Come join us...there's more inside you cannot see as a guest!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Missing Madeleine
Come join us...there's more inside you cannot see as a guest!
Missing Madeleine
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

No settlement

+28
cass
interested
Chris
jinvta
halfamo
Annabel
Angelina
dutchclogs
Panda
AnnaEsse
Palmeras16
Keela
jay2001
Carolina
frencheuropean
malena stool
kitti
margaret
chrissie
maebee
weissnicht
tanszi
SteveT
wjk
matthew
pennylane
mossman
Karen
32 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

No settlement - Page 3 Empty Re: No settlement

Post  cass Tue 19 Feb - 12:51

portugal have always said that they wont open the case unless there is something to reopen it for and move on -- now sy is suposed to be working with portugal on this to come to some sort of end -- would there have to be a reopening of the case from portugal before say the tapas can be re questioned -- unless this happens or someone confesses this case will never end imo
cass
cass
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Number of posts : 1654
Warning :
No settlement - Page 3 Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100No settlement - Page 3 Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2010-05-18

Back to top Go down

Post  Me Tue 19 Feb - 12:56

I do wonder if this is a definite outcome to the negotiations.

The report says that the defence team (i.e Amaral's lawyer) are saying the talks have broken down. This doesn't appear to be coming from the Mccann's team.

Could it simply be a pressure application ploy by Amaral's team in the negotiations?

It seems fairly certain the McCann's don't want to go to trial so perhaps there's a bit of brinkmanship going on here?
Me
Me
Rookie
Rookie

Number of posts : 79
Warning :
No settlement - Page 3 Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100No settlement - Page 3 Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2011-05-25

Back to top Go down

Post  Carolina Tue 19 Feb - 12:59

The article seems to have omitted the fact that the ban on the book and the documentary was overturned in October 2010!
Carolina
Carolina
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Female
Number of posts : 874
Warning :

Registration date : 2009-08-24

Back to top Go down

Post  jay2001 Tue 19 Feb - 13:04

The article also says that the book ban is still in place and that's not true either (if I've read it correctly). You'd think the Algarve press would be up to speed, but I think they've been pro mc in the past. Why let truth get in the way - that must be PR/lawyer speak - of a story.
jay2001
jay2001
Elite Member
Elite Member

Number of posts : 403
Warning :

Registration date : 2009-09-06

Back to top Go down

Post  Keela Tue 19 Feb - 13:35

The Portugal News was always on the side of the duo, now lets see what they publish about this turn of events. The owner of the paper could see nothing but good in this pair and trumpeted their innocence!!!!! Get ready to eat your words Mr Luckman.
Keela
Keela
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 2360
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  Palmeras16 Tue 19 Feb - 14:32

Claudia79 wrote:Wonder how our friend Palmeras is feeling...

I’m feeling happy and well, Claudia, thank you for asking. I suspect that the same cannot be said for GA, now that the McCanns have turned down his settlement offer and elected to move to a full trial. The notion that Amaral is “standing his ground” or “has an ace up his sleeve” is ludicrous, as I think you well know. I hate to be a party pooper but, as far as I can see, the clock is not ticking, the end isn’t nigh and the McCanns are not stocking up on Imodium. What I do foresee though, is Mr Amaral donating at least half of his seized assets to the Find Madeleine Fund.
Palmeras16
Palmeras16
Reg Member
Reg Member

Number of posts : 275
Warning :
No settlement - Page 3 Left_bar_bleue66 / 10066 / 100No settlement - Page 3 Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2010-06-03

Back to top Go down

Post  Panda Tue 19 Feb - 14:38

Let's hope the new date for the Trial is not delayed for too long , the suspense is killing me.No settlement - Page 3 294124
Panda
Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 30555
Warning :

Registration date : 2010-03-27

Back to top Go down

Post  Keela Tue 19 Feb - 14:39

Palmeras16 wrote:

I’m feeling happy and well, Claudia, thank you for asking. I suspect that the same cannot be said for GA, now that the McCanns have turned down his settlement offer and elected to move to a full trial. The notion that Amaral is “standing his ground” or “has an ace up his sleeve” is ludicrous, as I think you well know. I hate to be a party pooper but, as far as I can see, the clock is not ticking, the end isn’t nigh and the McCanns are not stocking up on Imodium. What I do foresee though, is Mr Amaral donating at least half of his seized assets to the Find Madeleine Fund.

I must have been living on a different planet - I WASN'T aware that GA had made a settlement offer to the Mccanns, I thought that it was them who wanted to have an out of court settlement and suggested it in the first place.
Keela
Keela
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 2360
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue 19 Feb - 14:41

No doubt P16 will enlighten us as to what was the settlement offer that the McCanns rejected.

Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Claudia79 Tue 19 Feb - 14:42

Palmeras16 wrote:

Palmeras, I have never used some of the terms you chose to use on your post so I have no idea why you chose them. They are mostly emotional and not my cup of tea at all. But I guess that's your only alternative after such a disappointment . From day 1 I knew it was the McCanns who asked for the court case to be interrupted so an agreement could be tried. And from day one I knew GA would decline. I have no idea what the court case result will be (the law is an ass, etc). Depending on the judge, it can go either way, as the previous decisions can prove. But what I do know is that the McCanns will never see a cent from GA without a court decision. And it will take years for a definite one. No settlement - Page 3 25346
Claudia79
Claudia79
Administrator
Administrator

Female
Number of posts : 7007
Warning :

Registration date : 2009-08-25

http://proud-of-the-pj.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Panda Tue 19 Feb - 14:53

What do you mean Claudia "never see a cent from GA without a court decision. And it will take years for a definite one". No settlement - Page 3 25346 If the Court case is say to be held on 30th March and takes 2 weeks for each side to put their case , why would there be years for a definite decision ????
Panda
Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  cass Tue 19 Feb - 14:55

Palmeras16 wrote:

and talking of the fund wasnt it suposed to be for missing children ? they looked like they hadnt two pennys to scratch their arses with in 2007 -- the lord n lady done well
cass
cass
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Number of posts : 1654
Warning :

Registration date : 2010-05-18

Back to top Go down

Post  Claudia79 Tue 19 Feb - 14:58

Panda wrote:What do you mean Claudia "never see a cent from GA without a court decision. And it will take years for a definite one". No settlement - Page 3 25346 If the Court case is say to be held on 30th March and takes 2 weeks for each side to put their case , why would there be years for a definite decision ????

Because both parties will appeal time and time again if the decision isn't in their favour.
Claudia79
Claudia79
Administrator
Administrator

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  Panda Tue 19 Feb - 15:12

Claudia79 wrote:
Panda wrote:What do you mean Claudia "never see a cent from GA without a court decision. And it will take years for a definite one". No settlement - Page 3 25346 If the Court case is say to be held on 30th March and takes 2 weeks for each side to put their case , why would there be years for a definite decision ????

Because both parties will appeal time and time again if the decision isn't in their favour.
Oh, don't say that!!! there must be a limit to the number of appeals and Solomon's judgement sought
Panda
Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  Palmeras16 Tue 19 Feb - 15:20

Because Amaral will appeal time and time again if the decision isn't in his favour. Futile delaying tactics. Tick tock and all that.
Palmeras16
Palmeras16
Reg Member
Reg Member

Number of posts : 275
Warning :
No settlement - Page 3 Left_bar_bleue66 / 10066 / 100No settlement - Page 3 Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2010-06-03

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue 19 Feb - 15:31

The same can of course be said for the McCanns. I still would like to know what was the offer of settlement that they declined.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  AnnaEsse Tue 19 Feb - 15:35

Palmeras16 wrote:

Because Amaral will appeal time and time again if the decision isn't in his favour. Futile delaying tactics. Tick tock and all that.

And should this go all the way to the Supreme Court in Portugal, do you think that court would decide in favour of the McCanns when that very court overturned the book ban, stating that the book did not infringe the McCanns' rights in any way?
AnnaEsse
AnnaEsse
Administrator
Administrator

Female
Number of posts : 18693
Warning :

Registration date : 2009-09-23

http://frommybigdesk.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Panda Tue 19 Feb - 15:40

There nust be arbitration at some stage neither side can go on ad infinitum appealing. after about 3 appeals a senior judge will make a decision
Panda
Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  Claudia79 Tue 19 Feb - 15:40

I can see this easily going all the way to the ECHR.
Claudia79
Claudia79
Administrator
Administrator

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  dutchclogs Tue 19 Feb - 15:45

Keela wrote:
Palmeras16 wrote:

I must have been living on a different planet - I WASN'T aware that GA had made a settlement offer to the Mccanns, I thought that it was them who wanted to have an out of court settlement and suggested it in the first place.

spot on Keela
dutchclogs
dutchclogs
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 1062
Warning :

Registration date : 2009-08-22

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue 19 Feb - 15:50

It must not be forgotten that the misguided Case brought against Amaral could be affected in a major fashion depending upon the outcome of the continuing liaison between Lisbon and SY.

Let's face it, if (for the sake of argument) the Plaintiffs in this ongoing Case vs. Amaral were to have been stripped of their liberty, that would rather put a different complexion on things No settlement - Page 3 25346

Last edited by The End Is Nigh on Tue 19 Feb - 15:55; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : sp.)
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Angelina Tue 19 Feb - 15:51

Not Born Yesterday wrote:The same can of course be said for the McCanns. I still would like to know what was the offer of settlement that they declined.

6 tins of sardines No settlement - Page 3 23324
Angelina
Angelina
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Number of posts : 2933
Warning :

Registration date : 2008-08-01

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue 19 Feb - 15:52

That's a lot more than they deserve!
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Angelina Tue 19 Feb - 15:54

Well, I suppose sea bass might have been preferable No settlement - Page 3 294124
Angelina
Angelina
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Number of posts : 2933
Warning :

Registration date : 2008-08-01

Back to top Go down

Post  Annabel Tue 19 Feb - 15:58

Algarve Daily News http://algarvedailynews.com/news/8941-mccanns-vs-amaral-trial-to-go-ahead

McCanns vs Amaral trial to go ahead

Tuesday, 19 February 2013 01:06

Kate and Gerry McCann have failed to reach an out-of-court settlement or agreement in the civil case against Gonçalo Amaral, the former Police Inspector accused of defamation.

The defence lawyer said today that as the parties have not reached any agreement the case should now be reactivated in the Civil Court of Lisbon which will have to schedule a new date for the start of the trial.

The first hearing was scheduled for January 24th 2013 but a week before the trial was due to start the judge granted a breathing space in the hope that a settlement could be reached in the case where Madeleine's parents are claiming compensation of €1.2 million from Amaral for defamation.

This action has already prompted a request for the seizure of Gonçalo Amaral’s goods as a ‘precautionary measure.’

In a related case the Civil Court of Lisbon decided in January 2010 to maintain the ban on the book "Maddie - The Truth of the Lie", written by Gonçalo Amaral, and on a video with the same title based on a documentary broadcast on TVI.

The ban of the book and the video, in which Gonçalo Amaral claims that Kate and Gerry McCann were involved in the disappearance of their daughter and in the concealment of her body, has been in place since September 9th 2009.

Madeleine McCann disappeared on May 3, 2007, while holidaying in an apartment in a holiday village of Praia da Luz.

At the time of her disappearance, Goncalo Amaral was the coordinator of the Criminal Investigation Department of the Judicial Police of Portimão and was in charge of the investigation.

Kate and Gerry McCann have always claimed that the child was abducted but were made defendants in September 2007.

The case was closed for lack of evidence in July 2008, although prosecutors say they will reopen the case if new facts emerge about the child's disappearance. Despite investigations by a dedicated team from Scotland Yard no new facts of significance have emerged.
Annabel
Annabel
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 3528
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next