Missing Madeleine
Come join us...there's more inside you cannot see as a guest!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Missing Madeleine
Come join us...there's more inside you cannot see as a guest!
Missing Madeleine
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

KILLER CUCUMBER OUTBREAK SPREADS

+13
Angelique
wjk
Angelina
AnnaEsse
halfamo
Lioned
fred
docmac
Bebootje
pennylane
mumbles
kitti
Lillyofthevalley
17 posters

Page 4 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

KILLER CUCUMBER OUTBREAK SPREADS - Page 4 Empty Re: KILLER CUCUMBER OUTBREAK SPREADS

Post  Panda Sun 5 Jun - 16:43

Badboy wrote:german-grown BEANSPROUTS ARE BELIEVED TO BE SOURCE OF ECOLI OUTBREAKS(SKY NEWS 4.20 PM)

Hi Badboy

It would be a massive coincidence if everyone affected ate at that Restaurant and the WHO would have to get every person affected so far to try to
remember what they ate 24 hours before they became ill.
Panda
Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 30555
Warning :
KILLER CUCUMBER OUTBREAK SPREADS - Page 4 Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100KILLER CUCUMBER OUTBREAK SPREADS - Page 4 Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2010-03-27

Back to top Go down

KILLER CUCUMBER OUTBREAK SPREADS - Page 4 Empty Re: KILLER CUCUMBER OUTBREAK SPREADS

Post  mara thon Sun 5 Jun - 16:51

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/german-beansprouts-behind-e-coli-outbreak-153814311.html

..German-grown beansprouts are the likely cause of the E.coli outbreak, say health authorities investigating the crisis.

A spokesman for the agriculture ministry in Germany's Lower Saxony state said people should stay away from eating the beansprouts, which are often used in mixed salads.

More to follow...
mara thon
mara thon
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Number of posts : 7076
Warning :
KILLER CUCUMBER OUTBREAK SPREADS - Page 4 Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100KILLER CUCUMBER OUTBREAK SPREADS - Page 4 Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2009-08-21

Back to top Go down

Post  mara thon Sun 5 Jun - 16:54

Panda wrote:
Badboy wrote:german-grown BEANSPROUTS ARE BELIEVED TO BE SOURCE OF ECOLI OUTBREAKS(SKY NEWS 4.20 PM)

Hi Badboy

It would be a massive coincidence if everyone affected ate at that Restaurant and the WHO would have to get every person affected so far to try to
remember what they ate 24 hours before they became ill.

I don't think it would necessarily be people who ate in any particular restaurant, bags of mixed salad, including beansprouts are sold in many outlets, supermarkets etc.
mara thon
mara thon
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Number of posts : 7076
Warning :

Registration date : 2009-08-21

Back to top Go down

Post  Panda Sun 5 Jun - 16:57

mara thon wrote:http://uk.news.yahoo.com/german-beansprouts-behind-e-coli-outbreak-153814311.html

..German-grown beansprouts are the likely cause of the E.coli outbreak, say health authorities investigating the crisis.

A spokesman for the agriculture ministry in Germany's Lower Saxony state said people should stay away from eating the beansprouts, which are often used in mixed salads.

More to follow...

Thanks mara thon,

As I said to Badboy, they will have to interview every person affected around the world to learn if they had eaten beansptouts before they became ill,

marathon task.........pardon the pun. KILLER CUCUMBER OUTBREAK SPREADS - Page 4 25346
Panda
Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  Angelique Mon 6 Jun - 9:08

This is quite worrying because I have recently had beansprouts - but ahem... I actually never got round to eating them and threw them away, errr.. twice. Meaning I have had two packets of them. I didn't tell my partner because he gets upset if I let things go out of date and throw them away. I very glad I did. Or maybe I wouldn't be here!
Angelique
Angelique
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 3418
Warning :

Registration date : 2010-08-28

Back to top Go down

Post  Bebootje Mon 6 Jun - 10:27

The beansprouts (Tauge) now is seen as the primary soure of spreading the deadly EHEC.

"The authorities in the area Nedersaksen (Germany) are pretty sure that the little bean sprouts are the cause of the epidemic EHEC. An organic grower is suspected of bringing EHEC in circulation. Two employees were on the diarrhea. One was infected with EHEC.
Bean sprouts are produced at temperatures of 38 degrees celscius. That would be an ideal temerature for the germination of other germs like EHEC. Beansprouts have been over the years often a cause of infectious diseases. Years ago the bean sprouts were also cause of a big EHEC outbreak in Japan."

Amazing that this appearently known risk wasn't investigated immediatly. It would have prevented the dramatic economic consequences for the Agro producers in Holland and Spain.
Bebootje
Bebootje
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Female
Number of posts : 635
Warning :

Registration date : 2009-09-05

Back to top Go down

Post  Panda Mon 6 Jun - 10:41

Bebootje wrote:The beansprouts (Tauge) now is seen as the primary soure of spreading the deadly EHEC.

"The authorities in the area Nedersaksen (Germany) are pretty sure that the little bean sprouts are the cause of the epidemic EHEC. An organic grower is suspected of bringing EHEC in circulation. Two employees were on the diarrhea. One was infected with EHEC.
Bean sprouts are produced at temperatures of 38 degrees celscius. That would be an ideal temerature for the germination of other germs like EHEC. Beansprouts have been over the years often a cause of infectious diseases. Years ago the bean sprouts were also cause of a big EHEC outbreak in Japan."

Amazing that this appearently known risk wasn't investigated immediatly. It would have prevented the dramatic economic consequences for the Agro producers in Holland and Spain.

Thanks Bebootje,

This is apparently a new strain but since beean sprouts have been the cause of infectious diseases maybe they should not be grown at all, I don"t
think the Public would miss them .
Panda
Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  docmac Mon 6 Jun - 10:51

Just seen this thread.

E.coli resides in sh1t, and is transmitted therefrom. This whole 'blaming salads and vegetables' thing is just plain wrong. Someone didn't wash their hands - and then many others didn't. Simple.
docmac
docmac
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Number of posts : 1936
Warning :
KILLER CUCUMBER OUTBREAK SPREADS - Page 4 Left_bar_bleue30 / 10030 / 100KILLER CUCUMBER OUTBREAK SPREADS - Page 4 Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2010-07-21

Back to top Go down

KILLER CUCUMBER OUTBREAK SPREADS - Page 4 Empty as above

Post  halfamo Mon 6 Jun - 15:18

Now saying beansprouts not the cause they can't make up their minds , they need to do one thing and thats apologize to Spain , they really have handled this very badly.
halfamo
halfamo
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 1905
Warning :

Registration date : 2009-06-21

Back to top Go down

Post  halfamo Mon 6 Jun - 15:22

Panda wrote:

Yes Angelique if it"s not airborne how come people can travel all the way from Gerrmany to other countries , as far a way as the States before they
become ill? Hamburg is a huge City did all these travellers to and from there dine at the same Restaurant or eat the same food.?

Hi panda its not airborne but the incubation period is 7 to 10 days so people moving around not realising they have it , and the main outbreak is still centred around the Hamburg area.
halfamo
halfamo
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  Panda Mon 6 Jun - 16:18

halfamo wrote:
Panda wrote:

Yes Angelique if it"s not airborne how come people can travel all the way from Gerrmany to other countries , as far a way as the States before they
become ill? Hamburg is a huge City did all these travellers to and from there dine at the same Restaurant or eat the same food.?

Hi panda its not airborne but the incubation period is 7 to 10 days so people moving around not realising they have it , and the main outbreak is still centred around the Hamburg area.

Thanks halfamo,

Considering one of the symptoms is diarrhea that"s a long incubation period. KILLER CUCUMBER OUTBREAK SPREADS - Page 4 294124 Mustn"t laugh it"s the kidney problems which are serious , I"m like
you, a bit sceptical , if it is beansprouts why tell us to not eat fruit etc. I know it"s hard for the WHO to deal with a new strain of E coli, remember swine
flu and the NHS stocking up with masses of Flu jabs which turned out to be over bought. Let"s hope the epidemic tapers off now.
Panda
Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  halfamo Mon 6 Jun - 17:22

They show no symptoms for 7 days so its said so people wandering around for that time without feeling ill ,I'm really missing my salads its very hot here 32 degrees at the weekend , getting some rain now but still humid .
halfamo
halfamo
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  Panda Mon 6 Jun - 17:42

halfamo wrote:They show no symptoms for 7 days so its said so people wandering around for that time without feeling ill ,I'm really missing my salads its very hot here 32 degrees at the weekend , getting some rain now but still humid .

Better be safe than sorry, crikey 32%, that"s hot.!!! Where I live the weather is very changeable , some rain, some cold, today Sunny for a change about 18%. When I was in Tenerife earlier this Year the Hotel was full of Germans . I was the only Brit for a couple of days. Made friends with two couples one from Dinslaken in Westphalia, do you know it?
Panda
Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  Panda Tue 7 Jun - 3:33

E.coli: Germany Baffled On Outbreak Source

2:45am UK, Tuesday June 07, 2011
German officials have admitted they may never be able to identify the source of the E.coli outbreak, as the investigation into the infections continue.

The E.coli bacteria under the microscope

German authorities are struggling to pinpoint the source of the outbreak

The admission comes as the country appears to have been left floundering in the investigation surrounding the bug, which has killed 22 people.

Andreas Hensel, head of Germany's Federal Institute for Risk Assessment, warned: "We have to be clear on this: Maybe we won't be able anymore to identify the source."

Officials have already tried, and failed, to point the finger at Spanish cucumbers, then German beansprouts.

Authorities feared the sprouts from a farm in the Uelzen area, between the northern cities of Hamburg and Hannover, could be traced to infections in five German states.

This kind of wishy-washy response is incompetent.

Michael Osterholm, University Of Minnesota

But the agriculture ministry said on Monday that 23 of 40 samples from the sprout farm suspected of being behind the outbreak tested negative for the strain of E. coli bacteria responsible for the outbreak.

A wider test will now be carried out on samples of older sprouts and packaging from the farm.

Meanwhile, one US expert has called the investigation a "disaster".

"This kind of wishy-washy response is incompetent," Michael Osterholm, director of the Centre for Infectious Disease Research and Policy at the University Of Minnesota, said.

Panda
Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  Badboy Tue 7 Jun - 12:20

A REPORT IN THE GUARDIAN HAVE MOST CASES PER 1,000 PEOPLE IN HAMBURG,LOWER SAXONY AND BREMEN,WITH LEAST CASES IN BAVARIA
Badboy
Badboy
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Male
Number of posts : 8852
Warning :

Registration date : 2009-08-31

Back to top Go down

Post  Panda Tue 7 Jun - 12:35

Badboy wrote:A REPORT IN THE GUARDIAN HAVE MOST CASES PER 1,000 PEOPLE IN HAMBURG,LOWER SAXONY AND BREMEN,WITH LEAST CASES IN BAVARIA

Hi Badboy,

It"s very worrying now that they have changed their minds again and can"t isolate the Source.
Panda
Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  halfamo Tue 7 Jun - 14:31

They said the beansprouts were not the cause now theyre saying they still might be , also there may not be a conclusion because the food has moved through the chain so they might never know.NRW is a very big area panda the largest county i think ,we're near Cologne i've never heard of the place you mentioned.
halfamo
halfamo
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  halfamo Wed 8 Jun - 15:12

I have so had enough with this , now people are avoiding dairy products we might as well stop eating they do not have a clue, its a disgrace the way this has been handled . The man who owns the restaurant says his business is in danger the Spanish are demanding full compo and now there is talk of it may being deliberate:
halfamo
halfamo
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  Panda Wed 8 Jun - 16:09

I"m just wondering if it is not even a new strain of Ecoli, but something more sinister . What if it is a mild form of Radiation poisoning from the Japan
Nuclear plant leak which drifted to Europe.
Panda
Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  Panda Thu 9 Jun - 6:15

Cucumbers are back on the Menu.

Scrapings of Cucumber found in Bin of Home where all Members of the Family were taken ill. To Date 26 Dead and 2,6000 ill
Panda
Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  Panda Thu 9 Jun - 8:23

E.coli Compensation Raised To 210m Euros
13 Comments12:53am UK, Thursday June 09, 2011

European trade bosses have raised the offer of compensation to 210 million euros (£187m) to farmers suffering heavy losses as a result of scare stories surrounding a deadly E.coli outbreak.

The European Commission initially offered a sum of 150 million euros (£134m) to help growers whose lettuce, tomatoes and cucumbers have had to be thrown away, only to be told it was nowhere near enough.

European Union agriculture commissioner Dacian Ciolos told a news briefing in Brussels that the new aid budget would see farmers able to claim at least 50% of reference prices for certain produce.

That decision came despite Spanish cucumber farmers demanding 100% of revenues lost after German authorities initially - and falsely - traced the source of the disease to Spanish produce.

EU agriculture and rural develpment commisioner Dacian Ciolos

Mr Ciolos added that growers who are members of vegetable producer associations would have access to other funding sources which would allow them to claim "up to 70%" of the value of unsold produce.

"In total, in the first instance, we will have a budget of 210 million euros," he said.

The Romanian commissioner said the EU executive was "doing the maximum within the budget and current constraints".

Mr Ciolos also added two new vegetables to the cucumbers, tomatoes and lettuce already on the warning list: courgettes and peppers.

Panda
Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  Panda Thu 9 Jun - 8:26

It is estimated that this outbreak has resulted in E417 million loss to Farmers and Growers around Europe because of the decline in Fruit , Courgettes
and Cucumber sales.
Panda
Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  AnnaEsse Thu 9 Jun - 11:38

AnnaEsse
AnnaEsse
Administrator
Administrator

Female
Number of posts : 18693
Warning :

Registration date : 2009-09-23

http://frommybigdesk.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  AnnaEsse Thu 9 Jun - 11:39

AnnaEsse
AnnaEsse
Administrator
Administrator

Female
Number of posts : 18693
Warning :

Registration date : 2009-09-23

http://frommybigdesk.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Panda Thu 9 Jun - 12:01

Thanks AnnaEsse,

I just had a look on the Jaycee thread and this is the link......don"t know how to show it here though, KILLER CUCUMBER OUTBREAK SPREADS - Page 4 294124 It is looking very serious, still not knwing
what caused it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0NAS_B6pAM&feature=player_embedded#at=47
Panda
Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next