Missing Madeleine
Come join us...there's more inside you cannot see as a guest!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Missing Madeleine
Come join us...there's more inside you cannot see as a guest!
Missing Madeleine
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

jo yeates

+69
Dimsie
princess_leia
T4two
pennylane
malena stool
Alpine Aster
kitti
ann_chovey
Badboy
margaret
Loopdaloop
fred
whatsupdoc
mumbles
fedrules
Wallflower
blackrose
Angelina
AspieDistra
Krisy22
Keela
wjk
keepingmum
MaryB
chrissie
Karen
SteveT
AnnaEsse
welshy
jejune
LJC
bootsy
Angelique
sunflower
POPPY1
dazedandconfused
Lioned
FSoares
sans_souci
Roasted Arizona
fuzeta
Smudge
docmac
buildersbum
jinvta
jay2001
tanszi
Arguida
quickfingers
jeanie
HiDeHo
Indigo
aqeleega
ashwil
blossom45
Faithlilly
Midas
DavidA
ali1966
Sandi
flower
Panda
FreddieFireHog
dutchclogs
maebee
RunningFree
Palmeras16
tabs
comperedna
73 posters

Page 19 of 40 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 29 ... 40  Next

Go down

jo yeates - Page 19 Empty Re: jo yeates

Post  bootsy Fri 31 Dec - 0:39

With respect he may or may not have been in a situation where he had a young pretty woman in front of him and could have made an advance toward her which could have been embarassingly rejected and a spur of the moent reaction could have resulted in murder?who knows
bootsy
bootsy
Reg Member
Reg Member

Number of posts : 258
Warning :
jo yeates - Page 19 Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100jo yeates - Page 19 Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2009-10-03

Back to top Go down

Post  Arguida Fri 31 Dec - 0:46

As we age we do get a bit more senile. I think the constraints that have kept us moral and upright citizens may lessen. I do believe we are more likely to commit an out of character crime as our brains age.

That said, he does have eyes and eyebrows like my father had. My father was also an English teacher and was a bit on the daft side. He had a excellent reputation in the community as a generous and involved man. At home he was a control freak and a bit bat shit crazy with a temper. He asked that he be cremated and all signs he had ever lived on the earth be destroyed. He told me because of all of the evil things he had done in his life he should be erased forever. I always wondered what he had done.
Arguida
Arguida
Rookie
Rookie

Number of posts : 103
Warning :
jo yeates - Page 19 Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100jo yeates - Page 19 Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2009-09-04

Back to top Go down

Post  Badboy Fri 31 Dec - 0:56

I did wonder when i saw the newspaper headlines this morning when it refered to someone if it was the landlord because his picture appeared alongside
Badboy
Badboy
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Male
Number of posts : 8852
Warning :

Registration date : 2009-08-31

Back to top Go down

Post  Lioned Fri 31 Dec - 1:02

Arguida wrote:As we age we do get a bit more senile. I think the constraints that have kept us moral and upright citizens may lessen. I do believe we are more likely to commit an out of character crime as our brains age.

That said, he does have eyes and eyebrows like my father had. My father was also an English teacher and was a bit on the daft side. He had a excellent reputation in the community as a generous and involved man. At home he was a control freak and a bit bat shit crazy with a temper. He asked that he be cremated and all signs he had ever lived on the earth be destroyed. He told me because of all of the evil things he had done in his life he should be erased forever. I always wondered what he had done.

Arquida. It sounds like your Dad was just a normal sort of bloke who lived a life not wishing to shout from the rooftops.Bit like me really.

Far as this bloke is concerned,it may well be he had a moment of madness.But i have asked for a motive ? and i aint got one !!
Lioned
Lioned
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Number of posts : 8554
Warning :

Registration date : 2009-08-30

Back to top Go down

Post  bootsy Fri 31 Dec - 1:05

Motive; Rejection?
bootsy
bootsy
Reg Member
Reg Member

Number of posts : 258
Warning :

Registration date : 2009-10-03

Back to top Go down

Post  jinvta Fri 31 Dec - 1:14

As for motive, maybe he tried to give her a date rape type drug and she had an adverse reaction and died? I suppose we may have to wait for an autopsy to find out the motive.
jinvta
jinvta
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Number of posts : 1065
Warning :

Registration date : 2010-01-18

Back to top Go down

Post  Lioned Fri 31 Dec - 1:15

bootsy wrote:Motive; Rejection?

My mrs has rejected me loads of times,but i havn't murdered her yet !!

It is not so simple,that is all we can say so far !
Lioned
Lioned
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Number of posts : 8554
Warning :

Registration date : 2009-08-30

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri 31 Dec - 1:18

STRANGLED JOANNA YEATES: LANDLORD HELD

Chris Jefferies was being questioned last night over the murder of Joanna Yeates

Friday December 31,2010
By John Chapman

A FORMER teacher known as “Mr Chips” was being questioned last night over the murder of Joanna Yeates.
Chris Jefferies, 65, who was also Miss Yeates’s landlord, was arrested by police 24 hours after claiming he saw three people leave her flat on the night she vanished.
Forensic teams removed large bags of Mr Jefferies’ belongings from his flat above Miss Yeates’s in the imposing Victorian property he owns in Clifton, Bristol.
Paper sacks and a rug were also seized and floorboards in the house were ripped up.
The silver-haired pensioner’s silver Chrysler car was towed away for examination, together with a nearby Volvo.
Mr Jefferies, a bachelor who lives alone, is a former teacher at nearby Clifton College, a £9,000-a -term public school.
It is believed he owns several properties, including one in the south of France.
He let the £200,000 basement flat to Miss Yeates, 25, who was found strangled on Christmas morning, three miles away.
The landscape architect was last seen by friends on December 17 and was reported missing two days later by her live-in boyfriend Greg Reardon when he returned from a weekend with relatives.
Former pupils last night painted a picture of eccentric Mr Jefferies. Some described him as a “Mr Chips”-style teacher – after the novel by James Hilton and several film versions – who lived for English literature.
One said he was “a sort of Nutty Professor”. But others said they were “creeped out” by his “strange” behaviour.
The bachelor, who retired from teaching nine years ago, sported blue hair and professed a love of romantic poetry when he taught pupils aged 14 to 16.

Former pupils told how he sported an “out of control” hairstyle and “constantly” made lewd sexual remarks as he clutched the hands of pupils in class.
One male student, who was taught GCSE English by Mr Jefferies in the 1990s and did not wish to be named, said the teacher “creeped out” both male and female students.
He added: “He was a stickler for discipline and was very traditional. He used to get very angry and shout and throw books and pens across the room.
“He used to touch people’s hands and he’d say: ‘Oh, you’re very sweaty. That means you’re sexually active. You’ve been sexually active recently.’
“You didn’t want him to come near you. He was very unkempt and had dirty fingernails. I think girls were more creeped out by him than boys. He was weird. He would over-emphasise words and repeat them 10 to 15 times over.
“He loved old English poetry but the way he talked, the way he walked and the way he acted – it was all very strange.
“When we told other teachers he was strange they would laugh and say: ‘Ah yes, Mr Jefferies. He’s a bit of a nutter, isn’t he?’”
Another student, who also did not wish to be named, added: “He was fascinated by making lewd sexual remarks.
“He used to make them constantly. It was really disturbing.
Another student added: “People were scared of him. They were freaked out. Everyone from Clifton College will always remember him. He’s one of those people you never forget.’’
Mr Jefferies, originally from Grimsby, was considered a key member of the college’s English department in the 1970s.
He was particularly fond of the work of the 19th-century romantic poet Christina Rossetti.
Described as “a pillar of society”, he is a member of the local Neighbourhood Watch and is well-known around the Clifton area where he campaigns for the local Liberal Democrats by posting leaflets. He also led the Canynge Road Campaign, which stopped the planned development of two houses on Clifton College’s sports ground in 2005.
Miss Yeates and her architect boyfriend Greg Reardon, 27, had rented their flat from Mr Jefferies for under six months.
He originally told detectives that he had seen her and two others walking out of her flat at 9pm on December 17, the night of her disappearance.
Initially he told neighbours he had been parking his car when he spotted three people heading up the street.
His silver 2002 automatic Chrysler Neon had atlases, road maps and A-Z maps of Bristol piled up on the back seat when it was towed away from where it was parked on Canynge Road shortly after his arrest. A silver Volvo was also towed away from outside the property about an hour later.
Mark Moore, head teacher of Clifton College, said Mr Jefferies had taken early retirement in 2001.
A source close to the police investigation, Operation Braid, said it was believed Miss Yeates’s murderer had tried but failed to conceal her body, which was discovered on a roadside near a quarry by a couple walking their dog. The source said: “It’s thought the murderer had been trying to dump her but was not strong enough to get her over the stone wall.”
Detectives from Avon and Somerset police, who confirmed that a 65-year-old man had been arrested on suspicion of murder, appealed for anyone with any information to call their incident room on 0845 456 7000 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.

Read more: http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/220304/Strangled-Joanna-Yeates-Landlord-held/Strangled-Joanna-Yeates-Landlord-held#ixzz19eEO9wEd
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  T4two Fri 31 Dec - 1:44

This guy's an eccentric and as far as we know, until now he's been a harmless eccentric. But it didn't take the sickos from the UK media very long to make the transition to sinister weirdo did it? As far as I can see, he was fingered by Sky News because what he was prepared to tell them did not correspond to what he told the police. Remember the "One-eyed weirdo" in the McCann case fingered by The Sun? This man has not been charged and yet the press are already engaged in the same kind of hue and cry. Perhaps it would be more seemly if we on this forum held fire with our speculation until more is known; or did we learn nothing from the Murat experience?
T4two
T4two
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Male
Number of posts : 1689
Warning :

Registration date : 2009-09-14

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris Fri 31 Dec - 1:55

T4two wrote:This guy's an eccentric and as far as we know, until now he's been a harmless eccentric. But it didn't take the sickos from the UK media very long to make the transition to sinister weirdo did it? As far as I can see, he was fingered by Sky News because what he was prepared to tell them did not correspond to what he told the police. Remember the "One-eyed weirdo" in the McCann case fingered by The Sun? This man has not been charged and yet the press are already engaged in the same kind of hue and cry. Perhaps it would be more seemly if we on this forum held fire with our speculation until more is known; or did we learn nothing from the Murat experience?

It is rather sad the media is resorting to "trial by former pupil opinion". I am surprised they haven't lined up a few notable Old Cliftonians to give their views. Perhaps they could start with John Cleese or maybe John Inverdale as he is probably young enough to have been there while Jefferies was teaching.
Chris
Chris
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Number of posts : 1632
Warning :

Registration date : 2010-05-27

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri 31 Dec - 6:47

T4two wrote:This guy's an eccentric and as far as we know, until now he's been a harmless eccentric. But it didn't take the sickos from the UK media very long to make the transition to sinister weirdo did it? As far as I can see, he was fingered by Sky News because what he was prepared to tell them did not correspond to what he told the police. Remember the "One-eyed weirdo" in the McCann case fingered by The Sun? This man has not been charged and yet the press are already engaged in the same kind of hue and cry. Perhaps it would be more seemly if we on this forum held fire with our speculation until more is known; or did we learn nothing from the Murat experience?

agreed. better to wait see what happens and hope the police haven't got this wrong. jo yeates - Page 19 25346
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri 31 Dec - 8:28

Police just been given a further 24 hours for questioning.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri 31 Dec - 8:30

mornin' sans,

care to add anything to the discussion following the events of yesterday? jo yeates - Page 19 25346
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri 31 Dec - 8:41

Joanna Yeates murder: suspect Christopher Jefferies was blue-haired eccentric
To his pupils, he was the harmless but eccentric English teacher with died blue hair, a passion for romantic poetry and a love of theatre and avant garde films.

jo yeates - Page 19 Yeates620_1794840b

Christopher Jefferies in a 1990 school photograph at Clifton College, where he worked for 30 years. He was described as eccentric Photo: JAY WILLIAMS

ARTICLE
The unanswered questions
By Steven Swinford, Laura Roberts and Stephen Adams 7:00AM GMT 31 Dec 2010

But yesterday friends of Christopher Jefferies, 65, were having to reconcile themselves with the fact he is the prime suspect in the murder of Joanna Yeates.
Mr Jefferies was born in Grimsby in 1945. His father, Edward, was a railway inspector and the family home was in a comfortable suburb on the outskirts of the town.
In the 1970s he began teaching English at Clifton College in Bristol, a £9,000-a-term public school, and quickly made waves with his flamboyant style and passion for poetry.
A lifelong bachelor, colleagues speculated that he may be homosexual.
Former pupils recalled that he preferred the verse of Percy Shelley – the Romantic poet known for his dark, Gothic themes – to the plays of William Shakespeare.
RELATED ARTICLES
Joanna Yeates murder: Christopher Jefferies helped fix car for boyfriend's trip away31 Dec 2010
Joanna Yeates murder: Christopher Jefferies profile31 Dec 2010
Joanna Yeates: police arrest architect's landlord on suspicion of murder31 Dec 2010
Joanna Yeates was with two people, her landlord tells police31 Dec 2010
To some pupils, he was an inspiration and part of the “fabric of the school”. To others, however, he nicknamed “The Strange Mr Jefferies”, remembered for his short temper and autocratic style.
One of his students said: ''He was a stickler for discipline and was very traditional. He used to get very angry and shout and throw books and pens across the room.
“He used to touch people's hands and he'd say 'Oh you're very sweaty. That means you're sexually active’. He was very flamboyant, the way he talked, walked and acted. I think the girls were more creeped out than the boys. He was weird.”
He began a film society at the school, with a particular focus on international cinema.
James Alvis, a sports teacher and student at Clifton College in the 1980s, said: “He showed some dark films, he was particularly keen on French films.”
Richard Bland, 74, a former history teacher who worked with Jefferies for three decades at Clifton College, said: “He was respected at the school and his students used to get good results under him. But he was a very strange character, a bit of a loner and a very private individual.
“He was notorious for his odd hairstyle, it was often poetically long, and definitely had a blue tinge. He was also famous for his utter dislike of sports.
"At boarding schools everyone has to chip in and teachers would often referee rugby or football matches, but not him. He made it perfectly clear from the start that that was not his scene."
He also ran the school’s theatre, the Redgrave. “He became the master in charge of theatrical bookings, it became a money spinner for the school," said Mr Bland.
“He was always very flamboyant, an infectious character and very high handed. He taught drama and oversaw plays but wasn’t into acting himself, he was just a very efficient organiser.”
He ran “music appreciation” as a special subject, often inviting pupils to listen to classical music at his flat. One said: “It involved pupils sitting in his flat, listening to the likes of Berlioz 'Symphonie Fantastique', and following the music in the score.
“He was very knowledgable about music. The class was designed to help us understand how classical music is layered and constructed. I still remember those classes all these years later as being really fascinating.”
Mr Jefferies' blue hair was a source of great amusement among his pupils, who often mocked his flamboyant looks.
Blue hair dye was popularised in the 18th Century by effeminate "macaroni and dandies", who tinted their hair with powder.
The flats on 44 Canynge Street were originally owned by Clifton College and let out to staff. In 1990 the school decided to sell them, and teachers were given first refusal.
Mr Jefferies and two other teachers purchased flats for significantly less than their market value.
His mother, Kathleen, died in 1998 leaving him an estate worth £237,897. He used the inheritance to buy the ground floor flat, which he let out after taking early retirement from Clifton College in 2001.
Joanna Yeates and her boyfriend, Greg Reardon, began renting three months ago.
He became an ardent campaigner for the Liberal Democrats, posting leaflets through doors around the upmarket area. Councillor Trevor Blythe, 63, who represents Clifton Ward for the Liberal Democrats, said: “He was certainly a member of the Lib Dems.
"He helped out during the elections and predates when I came to office in 2009. We were absolutely flabbergasted when we heard he'd been arrested.”
He also immersed himself in the community, becoming vice chairman of his local Neighbourhood Watch and an active member of the Clifton and Hotwells Improvement Society, which campaigns to conserve buildings.
In 2005 he led a campaign against he planned development of two houses on Clifton College’s sports ground. He said at the time: “
In 2006 he joined the Prayer Book Society, an organisation which promotes the use of the Common prayer book. He became chairman of the Bath and Wells branch, organising trips to Highgrove, the Prince of Wales’ estate, and Bath Abbey.
Oliver Cullen, a friend of Mr Jefferies, insisted his friend was innocent. He said: “He is a nice man, a bit vocal perhaps and rather eccentric, but not violent or aggressive at all.”
Asked if there could have been a sexual motive for the attack, Mr Cullen replied: “Not where a woman was concerned, no.”

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/8232573/Joanna-Yeates-murder-Christopher-Jefferies-helped-fix-car-for-boyfriends-trip-away.html

Last edited by carmen on Fri 31 Dec - 9:30; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : To add link and photo)
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri 31 Dec - 8:44

Asked if there could have been a sexual motive for the attack, Mr Cullen replied: “Not where a woman was concerned, no.”

nice friend. jo yeates - Page 19 25346
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Smudge Fri 31 Dec - 8:51

I feel sorry for the girl who heard the screams, this will probably haunt her for a very long time.
Smudge
Smudge
Rookie
Rookie

Number of posts : 103
Warning :

Registration date : 2010-03-03

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri 31 Dec - 9:31

Marky wrote:Asked if there could have been a sexual motive for the attack, Mr Cullen replied: “Not where a woman was concerned, no.”

Agree Marky - may say more about Mr Cullen than Mr Jeffreys, though jo yeates - Page 19 192282
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  tanszi Fri 31 Dec - 9:38

I really cannot believe this reporting and the comments from so called colleagues and people who knew him. i have a variety of hair colours and i wear pink or purple doc martens, and always black clothes; to some i appear a loner, and definitely eccentric. Does this mean at some time further in my dotage, im going to commit a heinous crime.

I think the time for this type of reporting is if and when any person is convicted of a crime.

Re the comment by Mr Cullen, he is one who knows is he, im surprised he wasnt asked about the basis for his comment, as the way it is presented infers that there would be a sexual motive for an attack on a man. Disgusting reporting and as you say Marky and Carmen says more about Mr Cullen than anyone else.
tanszi
tanszi
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Number of posts : 3124
Warning :

Registration date : 2009-09-10

Back to top Go down

Post  fred Fri 31 Dec - 9:43

tanszi wrote:I really cannot believe this reporting and the comments from so called colleagues and people who knew him. i have a variety of hair colours and i wear pink or purple doc martens, and always black clothes; to some i appear a loner, and definitely eccentric. Does this mean at some time further in my dotage, im going to commit a heinous crime.

I think the time for this type of reporting is if and when any person is convicted of a crime.

Re the comment by Mr Cullen, he is one who knows is he, im surprised he wasnt asked about the basis for his comment, as the way it is presented infers that there would be a sexual motive for an attack on a man. Disgusting reporting and as you say Marky and Carmen says more about Mr Cullen than anyone else.

But oh so typical!! Look at the frenzy at PDL it went on for months, the journos didn't give a shit who they insulted or ruined. I remember when they interviewed Gaynor de Jesus, Christ she was in such a frenzy slagging off Robert Murat, she almost had an orgasm on screen!
fred
fred
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Number of posts : 4927
Warning :

Registration date : 2009-08-25

Back to top Go down

Post  tanszi Fri 31 Dec - 9:54

Sadly Fred this appears to be the way these days. I can only think people are so craving of publicity they will do and say anything to appear in the media.
tanszi
tanszi
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Number of posts : 3124
Warning :

Registration date : 2009-09-10

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri 31 Dec - 9:55

carmen wrote:
Marky wrote:Asked if there could have been a sexual motive for the attack, Mr Cullen replied: “Not where a woman was concerned, no.”

Agree Marky - may say more about Mr Cullen than Mr Jeffreys, though jo yeates - Page 19 192282

maybe. could also be a somewhat misguided attempt to help. jo yeates - Page 19 25346
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri 31 Dec - 9:59

Marky wrote:
carmen wrote:

maybe. could also be a somewhat misguided attempt to help. jo yeates - Page 19 25346

Well, as my gran used to say "the least said the better"
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri 31 Dec - 10:02

carmen wrote:
Marky wrote:
carmen wrote:

yeah, sooner or later the press are going to start sniffing around his friends trying to build up a picture of his life. goodness knows what they'll dig up that some would rather they didn't, if you know what i mean.

jo yeates - Page 19 25346
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  fedrules Fri 31 Dec - 10:06

^
You are right that it could be the police have got it wrong, but I guess we'll have to wait and see if forensics back up their hunch... It could be that this man has spent years lording it over impressionable and perhaps intimidated children and couldn't adapt to somebody resisting him. From what we can read, he does seem a little obsessional and fanatic..but you are correct that, as yet, he is only being questioned.

Personally, I agree with Pennylane that he sounded rattled when interviewed. He tried to assume an air of authority, but he made several speech errors which betrayed his nervousness...
fedrules
fedrules
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Number of posts : 1282
Warning :

Registration date : 2009-10-19

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri 31 Dec - 10:11

carmen wrote:
Marky wrote:
carmen wrote:

Now you see, I didn't read Mr Cullen's remark as anything like that at all. You have to remember that Mr Jeffries is from an older generation, where it was 'wrong' or 'perverted' or 'sick', to be a 'shirt-lifter' or any of the other delightful phrases that abounded in that era. In fact as Mr Jeffries approached his teens and early twenties, homosexual relationships were still illegal in this country and people got jailed!

Presumably his friends are of the same generation and they just don't like to talk about it. I think it is just Mr Cullen's roundabout way of saying, "Yes. He's gay. He's not interested in women."
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 19 of 40 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 29 ... 40  Next