Missing Madeleine
Come join us...there's more inside you cannot see as a guest!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Missing Madeleine
Come join us...there's more inside you cannot see as a guest!
Missing Madeleine
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Search for Madeleine costs tax payer £6,000 PER DAY

+21
fred
kitti
Lioned
fedrules
Chris
Panda
Lillyofthevalley
malena stool
Keela
mossman
LJC
dazedandconfused
T4two
AnnaEsse
interested
marxman
cass
the slave
wjk
tanszi
mara thon
25 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Search for Madeleine costs tax payer £6,000 PER DAY Empty Search for Madeleine costs tax payer £6,000 PER DAY

Post  Panda Sun 3 Jun - 6:30

Search for Madeleine #McCann costs tax payer £6k per day

03Jun

THE British police hunt for Madeleine McCann is ­costing almost £6,000 a day, we can reveal.

Around £4,400 goes on ­detectives’ wages while transport, “supplies” and other police staff bump the figure up to just over £5,800.

Figures obtained by the Daily Star Sunday show the probe – launched last May – is likely to have cost around £2.15million.

The Home Office, which is footing the bill, has pledged no expense will be spared in trying to help the ­Portuguese authorities solve the case.

It is now more than five years since Madeleine – then aged three – vanished from her family’s holiday apartment in Praia da Luz.

Her parents Kate and ­Gerry McCann, from ­Rothley, Leics, believe she is still alive and police also think there is a chance she can be found.

An invoice sent to the Home Office by the Met ­police team reviewing the case shows the wage bill for “26.5” detectives, is ­estimated at £1,447,263 up to April 5.

A further £388,906 is ­estimated for the ten police staff helping the hunt.

With the Met putting no time limit on trying to solve the case the final bill could run into tens of millions of pounds.

And questions have been raised about why officers are working on a case led by Portuguese authorities at the expense of home-based investigations.

Daily Star online June 3rd, 2012
Panda
Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 30555
Warning :
Search for Madeleine costs tax payer £6,000 PER DAY Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Search for Madeleine costs tax payer £6,000 PER DAY Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2010-03-27

Back to top Go down

Search for Madeleine costs tax payer £6,000 PER DAY Empty Re: Search for Madeleine costs tax payer £6,000 PER DAY

Post  Panda Sun 3 Jun - 6:32

Could this be the start of a Press revolt?????
Panda
Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Warning :
Search for Madeleine costs tax payer £6,000 PER DAY Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Search for Madeleine costs tax payer £6,000 PER DAY Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Search for Madeleine costs tax payer £6,000 PER DAY Empty Re: Search for Madeleine costs tax payer £6,000 PER DAY

Post  fred Sun 3 Jun - 7:11

Panda wrote:

Most likely not. They will be polyfillering any tiny crack so the Mccanns remain untouchable.
fred
fred
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Number of posts : 4927
Warning :

Registration date : 2009-08-25

Back to top Go down

Post  Panda Sun 3 Jun - 7:24

fred wrote:
Panda wrote:

Most likely not. They will be polyfillering any tiny crack so the Mccanns remain untouchable.

Morning fred.....I don't know, to itemise the cost is quite revealing.also, there is no time limit mentioned so what has this Review acheived after almost
a Year.......NOTHING.!!!!
Panda
Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  fred Sun 3 Jun - 7:46

How can it be even called a review, when they didn't even interview the Tapas 9???? The governemnt and the media, think we are all mushrooms, keep us in the dark and feed us shit.
fred
fred
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Number of posts : 4927
Warning :

Registration date : 2009-08-25

Back to top Go down

Post  Panda Sun 3 Jun - 8:08

fred wrote:How can it be even called a review, when they didn't even interview the Tapas 9???? The governemnt and the media, think we are all mushrooms, keep us in the dark and feed us shit.

Cameron will get his comeuppance for this, as will Andy Redwood for his bungling comments on Panorama about the 195 possible leads and suggestion
that Madeleine could be alive. Any review would first of all start with events of the night, reading all the Witness statements, The Tapas 9, Bar Staff,
OC Staff etc to piece it all together. Then order a Recon. For me, that has always been the failure of the PJ investigation, not to arrange it while the
McCanns were still in Portugal.
Panda
Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  mara thon Sun 3 Jun - 8:20

I agree with you Fred, the media most certainly believe that the majority of the public will believe everything they put in the papers, I know quite a few people here who think if it's printed in a UK newspaper then it must be true, they wouldn't think to question anything. PR companies have always had, and no doubt still do, what they refer to as "PR flannel" and oh yes it works. Governments have always fed us on garbage and downright lies, quite often to cover their own misdoings, of which there are more than a few !

Considering all the money the Mccanns have raked in it is an absolute disgrace that the taxpayer gets to fund this multi million pound "review". I wholeheartedly agree the truth about Madeleine should be found but I also think it is disgusting that so much is spent on just one child, it appears that others are not at all important and not worth bothering about and that is not only disgraceful it is disgusting.

It is even more disgraceful when you consider the continual story changes, and as you pointed out, no interviewing of the tapas friends and not one question asked of the Mccanns themselves about the events and the story changes. NSY have only to read Kate's book and compare it with the police files to realise that there have been some very big lies told, it really doesn't need Sherlock Holmes.

The big question is still...............why is everyone, police, government, media, etc, so afraid of upsetting the Mccanns?
mara thon
mara thon
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Number of posts : 7076
Warning :

Registration date : 2009-08-21

Back to top Go down

Post  cass Sun 3 Jun - 9:48

well im looking at this as press might be turning a bit ---- they are keeping to facts --- no poor poor kate and gerry --- sy are helping portugal --- i think the worm will turn --- just when ?no abduction mentioned for a while --- we get vanished ---missing --- notice not many abduction words in the press for a bit
cass
cass
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Number of posts : 1654
Warning :

Registration date : 2010-05-18

Back to top Go down

Post  Panda Sun 3 Jun - 10:03

cass wrote:well im looking at this as press might be turning a bit ---- they are keeping to facts --- no poor poor kate and gerry --- sy are helping portugal --- i think the worm will turn --- just when ?no abduction mentioned for a while --- we get vanished ---missing --- notice not many abduction words in the press for a bit

Morning cass, in fact the 195 possible leads has dried up, no more press reports. Search for Madeleine costs tax payer £6,000 PER DAY 25346 I still can't understand why Oporto Police are going through the
files as well.!!! It appears they are not working together so the PJ must be furious at having to incur more expense when the economy is in dire straits.
You have to ask why after one year so many SY Officers are still employed when they did not have to start an investigation from scratch, all the
evidence was there, all they had to do was check it out.!!!!!
Panda
Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  tanszi Sun 3 Jun - 10:27

precisely, and why another set of translations. oh because they didnt want any mistranslations, i doubt there are many, if any, in the translations available on this forum. there have been so many visits by others that any discrepancy would have been shouted far and wide and used as another club to "bash those vile internet nutters" with. and whats more its free, readily available no need to wait. jimo
tanszi
tanszi
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Number of posts : 3124
Warning :

Registration date : 2009-09-10

Back to top Go down

Post  wjk Sun 3 Jun - 11:02

It really makes my blood boil when I read how much is being spent on ONE child!
Poor Kerry Needham and all the other parents searching for their lost children.
wjk
wjk
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 7815
Warning :

Registration date : 2009-08-20

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun 3 Jun - 12:00

cass wrote:well im looking at this as press might be turning a bit ---- they are keeping to facts --- no poor poor kate and gerry --- sy are helping portugal --- i think the worm will turn --- just when ?no abduction mentioned for a while --- we get vanished ---missing --- notice not many abduction words in the press for a bit

Agreed.

The silence from SY and the Portuguese is (rightly) deafening.

I am in no doubt that the right aspects are being looked at and I am also in no doubt that we will not be kept informed about progress - except, possibly, in the same bland and general manner as in the much debated but really rather irrelevant Panorama programme. Furthermore, I very much doubt that any of those who might become (or already are) suspects will be told any more than the public at large.

Nothing will be done that is likely to be prejudicial to a Just outcome.

Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  the slave Sun 3 Jun - 12:14

This news will NOT play well with the average joe in this country. How many nurses would that pay for? How many school buildings could it repair. How many apprenticeships?
The child is dead. Give LIVING children a chance. I'm appalled.
Because we know, and THEY KNOW the child isn't coming back.
If the docs ain't arrested at the end of this process there'll be BIG TROUBLE.
the slave
the slave
Reg Member
Reg Member

Female
Number of posts : 280
Warning :

Registration date : 2009-10-03

Back to top Go down

Post  cass Sun 3 Jun - 12:24

afternoon panda we always seem to miss each other ---- tein i agree sy will learn by their mistakes 195 leads -- bull --- and slave i also agree results will be asked for all this money spent on sweet fa ---
cass
cass
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Number of posts : 1654
Warning :

Registration date : 2010-05-18

Back to top Go down

Post  AnnaEsse Sun 3 Jun - 13:09

I'm hoping that SY is having their own translations of the files done so that they cannot be criticised for just accepting someone else's version. They will also be combing through the so-called 'leads,' for the same reason, so that no one can point the finger and say that they ignored evidence or witnesses. When they have eliminated all that, they will, hopefully, start interviewing the main players, with full knowledge of what's in the files, who said what when, and being able to state that they have found no credible leads. What's left then is what they will need to find out by interviewing and by setting up a reconstruction.
AnnaEsse
AnnaEsse
Administrator
Administrator

Female
Number of posts : 18693
Warning :

Registration date : 2009-09-23

http://frommybigdesk.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Panda Sun 3 Jun - 13:19

I don't think there has been a case like this and the intrigue has been palpable, Political interference , two "local" Police Forces who proved lax in their
investigation because they were in awe of the protagonists (good word eh?) . Millions of pounds spent , not on searching for the missing child , but
the Parents Legal expenses and Police investigation which has led nowhere.

There will one day be a film made of this case I have no doubt, but after 5 years it will be a miracle if we ever learn what happened to Madeleine.
Panda
Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  marxman Sun 3 Jun - 13:32

I truely believe that there is lots of diplomatic
and political wrangling going on behind the
scenes. Many people quite rightly raise the
question, why all this hugh economic effort to
find one child whilst in the middle of a deep
recession? Especially, when it appears that
this review has no clear life-span nor a plug
on it's resorces.
I can only guess, that its more to do with finding
a solution/resolution to a diplomatic problem
between two European sovereign states, and
with both arriving at a result that suits the
two factions,ie Portugese Justice and law
enforcement, and the mess the British political
elite have got themselves embroiled in.
However, at this point, I can only see one
realistic solution, that is, to restore the honour
of the Portugese legal system by setting adrift
the McCann debacle, and allowing the PJ with
full co-operation from all strands of the British
political, security and law agencies.
The McCanns MUST face a court of law, even
if it is to realise their proclaimed innocence.
If not, they will always be seen as 'dodgers
of truth' along with both Britain and Portugal.

Rant over.

marxman
marxman
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Male
Number of posts : 1122
Warning :

Registration date : 2011-02-28

Back to top Go down

Post  Panda Sun 3 Jun - 13:58

Hi marxman, the PJ had their chance of prosecuting the McCanns for neglect which carries a 1 year prison term , or Neglect causing harm" which carries a 10 year sentence. It was said the PJ let the first charge lapse because they weere convinced they could apply the second charge. Unless Madeleine's
body is found there is no way the McCanns will face any charges and they know it .

If and when the McCann v Amaral case ever comes to Court since it is a Civil Court I'm not at all sure the McCanns will have to attend and there is some
explanation needed as to why it is taking so long considering the way thhe McCanns have manipulated two Police forces , the High Court , the Press etc. You would think the Portugese Judiciary would have used this case to highlight the inconsistencies of the Tapas statements which bolsters the PJ
theory which Amaral used in his book.
Panda
Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  marxman Sun 3 Jun - 14:36

Panda wrote:Hi marxman, the PJ had their chance of prosecuting the McCanns for neglect which carries a 1 year prison term , or Neglect causing harm" which carries a 10 year sentence. It was said the PJ let the first charge lapse because they weere convinced they could apply the second charge. Unless Madeleine's
body is found there is no way the McCanns will face any charges and they know it .

If and when the McCann v Amaral case ever comes to Court since it is a Civil Court I'm not at all sure the McCanns will have to attend and there is some
explanation needed as to why it is taking so long considering the way thhe McCanns have manipulated two Police forces , the High Court , the Press etc. You would think the Portugese Judiciary would have used this case to highlight the inconsistencies of the Tapas statements which bolsters the PJ
theory which Amaral used in his book.

Yes Panda, the PJ were from the get-go under
so much pressure from the British, who in turn applied
equal pressure upon their Portugese counterparts.
This has been unique in many ways, which must
have made the PJ impotent and unable to bring
their investigation/prosecution forward.
It has now reached a stale-mate, the McCanns
are in limbo, not guilty nor or they cleansed of
involvement, the PJ are in limbo not able to
conclude their case and the British are in limbo
simply because they are stuck with the duo who
I think they want rid.
This situation just can't be sustained, so, being
the eternal optimist, a pending court case must
be the only solution to end this once and for all.
marxman
marxman
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Male
Number of posts : 1122
Warning :

Registration date : 2011-02-28

Back to top Go down

Post  interested Sun 3 Jun - 15:18

the slave wrote:This news will NOT play well with the average joe in this country. How many nurses would that pay for? How many school buildings could it repair. How many apprenticeships?
The child is dead. Give LIVING children a chance. I'm appalled.
Because we know, and THEY KNOW the child isn't coming back.
If the docs ain't arrested at the end of this process there'll be BIG TROUBLE.

As I read this comment I am reminded of some of the comments in the U.K. press in response to the costs of the Diamond Jubilee celebrations. I agree with "the slave", this news will not play well with the average person who is footing the bill.
interested
interested
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Number of posts : 2839
Warning :

Registration date : 2011-10-22

Back to top Go down

Post  Panda Sun 3 Jun - 16:28

Iv'e just been watching the Thames Pageant and it was magnificent and everyone taking part was proud to do so. The reason I say this is because one of the Official Organisers was asked how much the Celebrations have cost. He said, everything except the Policing was paid for out of donations .
Unlike youknowwho who opened a Fund to pay for every expense EXCEPT the search for Madeleine, yet kept most of the profit from Kate's Book ,
just the Royalties going towards the continued search. Cameron will rue the day he got taken in by the McCanns.
Panda
Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun 3 Jun - 16:36

I don't subscribe to the view that Cameron was in any way taken in by Healy & McCann.

However it may at times seem, not only is Political control of Police resources a thorny area, it is most unlikely that only one single person (The PM) was involved in the decision to structure and implement a Review. Especially in such an apparently short time-frame after the request from the former Arguidos.

On the other hand, that self-same request may well have created an expediency to at least be seen to partially justify something which had already been decided in principle.

Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  kitti Sun 3 Jun - 16:36

I think the portuguese would love to hand over the case to the British police and say, here you are, it was an abduction, it's yours now BUT unfortunately they can't as she went missing in Portugal and they can't rewrite the original conclusion which was that she died in apt 5a in pdl.....
kitti
kitti
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 13400
Warning :

Registration date : 2009-06-21

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun 3 Jun - 16:43

I almost agree, Kitti - but I suspect the Portuguese would rather be in a politically, diplomatically and financially acceptable position to be able to get on and bring the culprits to Trial themselves.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post  Panda Sun 3 Jun - 16:48

The End Is Nigh wrote:I don't subscribe to the view that Cameron was in any way taken in by Healy & McCann.

However it may at times seem, not only is Political control of Police resources a thorny area, it is most unlikely that only one single person (The PM) was involved in the decision to structure and implement a Review. Especially in such an apparently short time-frame after the request from the former Arguidos.

On the other hand, that self-same request may well have created an expediency to at least be seen to partially justify something which had already been decided in principle.

Hi Tien, I don't agree....Theresa May was prepared to do a scoping, but the Heartfelt letter in the Sun made it seem churlish not to agree a Review, but
he should have made the proviso that the Mccanns make a substantial donation to the cost. The McCanns had been paid £1 million by the Sun and Times, plus the advance from the sale of the Book ....did they offer to make a contribution when they didn't have to spend any money "searching".
Cameron's friendship with Murdoch and Rebekah Brooks was the clincher IMO.
Panda
Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next