Missing Madeleine
Come join us...there's more inside you cannot see as a guest!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Missing Madeleine
Come join us...there's more inside you cannot see as a guest!
Missing Madeleine
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

saint kate nominated for book award

+24
Claudia79
kitti
Lillyofthevalley
Carolina
LJC
tigger
Keela
fred
chrissie1
NoStone
Justiceforallkids
fedrules
mara thon
ann_chovey
Colonel Fabien
tanszi
gillyspot
Loveday
Lioned
Badboy
Autumn
HiDeHo
harryfifi
mumbles
28 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

saint kate  nominated for book award   Empty saint kate nominated for book award

Post  Justiceforallkids Tue 18 Oct - 13:38

http://www.galaxynationalbookawards.com/shortlist_cat_pop_nonfiction.asp?

Madeleine by Kate McCann

'The decision to publish this book has been very difficult, and taken with heavy hearts ... My reason for writing it is simple: to give an account of the truth ... Writing this memoir has entailed recording some very personal, intimate and emotional aspects of our lives. Sharing these with strangers does not come easily to me, but if I hadn't done so I would not have felt the book gave as full a picture as it is possible for me to give. As with every action we have taken over the last four years, it ultimately boils down to whether what we are doing could help us to find Madeleine. When the answer to that question is yes, or even possibly, our family can cope with anything ...

What follows is an intensely personal account, and I make no apology for that ...

Nothing is more important to us than finding our little girl.'

Kate McCann, May 2011

Justiceforallkids
Justiceforallkids
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 5102
Warning :
saint kate  nominated for book award   Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100saint kate  nominated for book award   Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2009-08-20

Back to top Go down

saint kate  nominated for book award   Empty Re: saint kate nominated for book award

Post  mumbles Tue 18 Oct - 13:46

I was wondering how long it would be before we heard this news....

It was on the cards!
mumbles
mumbles
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 2121
Warning :
saint kate  nominated for book award   Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100saint kate  nominated for book award   Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2009-02-03

Back to top Go down

saint kate  nominated for book award   Empty Re: saint kate nominated for book award

Post  Justiceforallkids Tue 18 Oct - 13:47

mumbles wrote:I was wondering how long it would be before we heard this news....

It was on the cards!

yeah it doesnt make it any less sickerning though does it!!!
Justiceforallkids
Justiceforallkids
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 5102
Warning :

Registration date : 2009-08-20

Back to top Go down

Post  Autumn Tue 18 Oct - 14:35

Galaxy will never taste the same after this saint kate  nominated for book award   36898
Autumn
Autumn
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Number of posts : 787
Warning :

Registration date : 2011-05-16

Back to top Go down

Post  Keela Tue 18 Oct - 16:38

Is this real? Is she really going to be nominated for a book award? If this load of drivelling bullshite gets an award, I think everyone else who has been awarded whatever prize ( no matter if it is in the past) should send theirs back. It would make any award totally meaningless.

Next stop - Gerry on one knee with HM's sword tapping him on the shoulder? ( narrowly missing his head). Piccies of them outside the Palace with their MBE or even better OBE for services to child welfare? If either of these happens, then I will know that something decidely dodgy is going on and this despicable pair of attention grabbing-money hungry-publicity seeking whores are being protected for whatever reason.
Keela
Keela
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 2360
Warning :

Registration date : 2009-08-24

Back to top Go down

Post  ann_chovey Tue 18 Oct - 16:57

Keela wrote:Is this real? Is she really going to be nominated for a book award? If this load of drivelling bullshite gets an award, I think everyone else who has been awarded whatever prize ( no matter if it is in the past) should send theirs back. It would make any award totally meaningless.

Next stop - Gerry on one knee with HM's sword tapping him on the shoulder? ( narrowly missing his head). Piccies of them outside the Palace with their MBE or even better OBE for services to child welfare? If either of these happens, then I will know that something decidely dodgy is going on and this despicable pair of attention grabbing-money hungry-publicity seeking whores are being protected for whatever reason.

shortlist 2011, popular non-fiction category

A History of the World in 100 Objects Neil MacGregor Allen Lane

How To Be a Woman Caitlin Moran Ebury Press

Madeleine Kate McCann Bantam Press

Map of a Nation Rachel Hewitt Granta Books

The Good, The Bad and The Multiplex Mark Kermode Random House Books

Wonders of the Universe Brian Cox Collins
ann_chovey
ann_chovey
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 2529
Warning :

Registration date : 2009-08-21

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue 18 Oct - 17:05

Keela: I'm not the only one then to have considered the dreadful possibility of the McCanns being given some award or another and / or becoming patrons of a children's or missing persons' charity. Please God (I'm an atheist though!) it will never happen but, as you said, if it did I hope that other award winners would send theirs back. I don't know if you're old enough to remember that's exactly what happened when the Beatles were given MBEs in the 1960s.

I like your user name by the way. Now we just need an Eddie.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

saint kate  nominated for book award   Empty Galaxy non fiction category

Post  tigger Tue 18 Oct - 18:06

It's in the wrong category!

Shall we email (I'm certainly going to) Galaxy and point this out?
tigger
tigger
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 1740
Warning :

Registration date : 2011-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post  mara thon Tue 18 Oct - 18:47

I truly think Kate Mccann could have written two pages in an exercise book and she would have been nominated for an award. There's a big power behind a big throne somewhere.

Last edited by mara thon on Tue 18 Oct - 20:57; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : add word)
mara thon
mara thon
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Number of posts : 7076
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  Autumn Tue 18 Oct - 19:01

mara thon wrote:I truly think Kate Mccann could have written two pages in an exercise book and she would have nominated her for an award. There's a big power behind a big throne somewhere.

Spot on Marathon saint kate  nominated for book award   944533 and its looking more and more that the way is being paved for Kate to be offered senior positions in Children and Missing Persons Charities.
Autumn
Autumn
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  ann_chovey Tue 18 Oct - 19:20

Autumn wrote:
mara thon wrote:I truly think Kate Mccann could have written two pages in an exercise book and she would have nominated her for an award. There's a big power behind a big throne somewhere.

Spot on Marathon saint kate  nominated for book award   944533 and its looking more and more that the way is being paved for Kate to be offered senior positions in Children and Missing Persons Charities.

It is looking that way, they could prob. have entered the sticker book list and it would have been nominated. :-(
ann_chovey
ann_chovey
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 2529
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  Autumn Tue 18 Oct - 19:33

ann_chovey wrote:
Autumn wrote:

It is looking that way, they could prob. have entered the sticker book list and it would have been nominated. :-(

saint kate  nominated for book award   23324

Anyone come up with connections between Galaxy (is it made by Cadburys?) and the McCanns? How long have Galaxy been involved in giving out book awards, is this somthing new? Any familiar names on the panel?

Autumn
Autumn
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  harryfifi Tue 18 Oct - 19:46

Hope Caitlin Moran wins. Great book and very funny read. Kate McCanns book should be in the fiction section. I have read both and I spun through Caitlin's book in about a day. Kate McCanns book however was a very turgid, appallingly badly written book that took me weeks to read. I couldn't read more than one or two pages at a time.
harryfifi
harryfifi
Rookie
Rookie

Number of posts : 65
Warning :

Registration date : 2011-05-12

Back to top Go down

Post  Loveday Tue 18 Oct - 20:20

Someone on here very kindly emailed me Kate's book as I would never line her pockets and I just couldn't get past the first dozen or so pages. I had to give up.

I wonder what the prize is?
Loveday
Loveday
Elite Member
Elite Member

Female
Number of posts : 300
Warning :

Registration date : 2011-05-29

Back to top Go down

Post  HiDeHo Tue 18 Oct - 20:33

I wonder how Pat Brown and Goncalo Amaral feel about this.
HiDeHo
HiDeHo
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 1541
Warning :

Registration date : 2009-08-29

http://madeleinemccann.aimoo.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Autumn Tue 18 Oct - 21:18

What is the criteria for being chosen as a winner?
Judges are invited to vote for one book from each of the shortlists. The criteria for a winning book is primarily the appeal, profile and sales impact of the title concerned.

What rules are in place to ensure impartiality?
Academy members are required to be totally impartial in all their dealings with The Galaxy National Book Awards. Only Academy members may vote but they are not permitted to vote for any author or book which they, the company for which they work, or other company within their company group, represented or published in the previous twelve months or at the time of voting. This rule also applies to sales agencies, literary agents etc who should not vote for any book they represented in the previous twelve months or at the time of voting. Such votes will be invalid and will not be counted.

Who are the organisers?
The awards are organised and governed by Agile Marketing with developmental help from a cross-industry steering group. The event and TV programmes are managed by Cactus TV Ltd.

http://www.galaxynationalbookawards.com/press_faqs.asp

Seems that this is mainly about books which have made the biggest impact in shops rather than the quality of the contents.
Autumn
Autumn
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  HiDeHo Tue 18 Oct - 21:21

member on mcf claiming Freud involved in pr...haven't checked it out myself..

http://www.thedrum.co.uk/news/2011/08/11/galaxy-extends-partnership-quick-reads-2012
HiDeHo
HiDeHo
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 1541
Warning :

Registration date : 2009-08-29

http://madeleinemccann.aimoo.com

Back to top Go down

Post  gillyspot Tue 18 Oct - 21:40

Freud Communications (a PR company) is run by Matthew Freud (Clarence Mitchells ex boss) and Clements son.

Is that enough to get Kate's book rejected from a shortlist?
gillyspot
gillyspot
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Number of posts : 813
Warning :

Registration date : 2011-10-09

Back to top Go down

Post  malena stool Tue 18 Oct - 21:42

There is no comparison with the ramblings of a self confessed child neglecter and work such as Wonders of the Universe by Brian Cox...
How dare they demean past presentations to learned scholars or professional writers by likening this woman to an authoress......
malena stool
malena stool
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Male
Number of posts : 13924
Warning :

Registration date : 2009-10-04

Back to top Go down

Post  Autumn Tue 18 Oct - 21:44

HiDeHo wrote:member on mcf claiming Freud involved in pr...haven't checked it out myself..

http://www.thedrum.co.uk/news/2011/08/11/galaxy-extends-partnership-quick-reads-2012

Yes a quick google tells us Freud are connected HideHo

So we are lucky to have the continuing support of our main sponsor, Galaxy, which together with Freud Communications, are creating and backing a major campaign,

Aramide Aina's Experience

Intern on Consumer Team
Freud Communications

Privately Held; Public Relations and Communications industry

November 2010 – November 2010 (1 month) London, United Kingdom

Position: Intern on Consumer team
Accounts: Galaxy (Galaxy National Book Awards), Nike, Ellie Goulding.
Highlight: Joined Freud at the height of the preparations for the Galaxy National Book Awards. It was exciting because it was the first time I had been involved in nationally televised event. I had to organize the packing and delivery of a thousand goody bags in safe condition. I also had to help create a coverage booklet for Galaxy which was immensely gratifying as I had been Involved in the preparations of the event.
Summaries of Responsibilities:
Liaising with journalists,
Creating and updating media lists,
Social media work (liaising with bloggers, using Twitter and Facebook.)
Autumn
Autumn
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  Autumn Tue 18 Oct - 21:54

interesting snippet by Jilly Cooper.........

JILLY COOPER - Aug 2011

Towards the end of April, JUMP! came out in paperback and wonderfully went straight to Number One. My publishers Transworld took me out to a glorious celebratory dinner at the Caprice: (oh those divine fishcakes). They were all, I felt, rather strung up because they were poised to publish Madeleine by Kate McCann, about which I have to admit I expressed reservations. Bill Scott-Kerr, Transworld’s editorial director, however insisted they all adored Kate and Gerry McCann, totally believed their story and felt Kate had written a heartbreaking, truthful, incredibly important book.

And weren’t they right! Madeleine received wonderful, wonderful reviews, has been a phenomenal bestseller, and let us pray that one day they will find their little girl.

http://www.jillycooper.co.uk/notes/notes_2011_08_pg1.html
Autumn
Autumn
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  malena stool Tue 18 Oct - 22:06

Autumn wrote:interesting snippet by Jilly Cooper.........

JILLY COOPER - Aug 2011

Towards the end of April, JUMP! came out in paperback and wonderfully went straight to Number One. My publishers Transworld took me out to a glorious celebratory dinner at the Caprice: (oh those divine fishcakes). They were all, I felt, rather strung up because they were poised to publish Madeleine by Kate McCann, about which I have to admit I expressed reservations. Bill Scott-Kerr, Transworld’s editorial director, however insisted they all adored Kate and Gerry McCann, totally believed their story and felt Kate had written a heartbreaking, truthful, incredibly important book.

And weren’t they right! Madeleine received wonderful, wonderful reviews, has been a phenomenal bestseller, and let us pray that one day they will find their little girl.

http://www.jillycooper.co.uk/notes/notes_2011_08_pg1.html
Oh jolly good show...haw haw haw.... Jilly writes a good novel about horses but has no real idea about child neglecters...
malena stool
malena stool
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Male
Number of posts : 13924
Warning :

Registration date : 2009-10-04

Back to top Go down

saint kate  nominated for book award   Empty Galaxy PR department

Post  tigger Wed 19 Oct - 7:02

I'm going to mail a polite objection to Galaxy and will point out to them that they should read the many negative comments in newspapers and in e.g. Metro, from readers when Kate was named the most inspirational women of the year.

I for one, would make sure never to buy a Galaxy product in future.
Any suggestions?
tigger
tigger
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 1740
Warning :

Registration date : 2011-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post  gillyspot Wed 19 Oct - 7:08

What about the link between Clarence Mitchell and Matthew Freud of Freud Communications. Surely that is not allowed if the judges are to be impartial.
gillyspot
gillyspot
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  gillyspot Wed 19 Oct - 7:11

Forgot also that Matthew Freud's father in law Rupert Murdoch has been widely publicising Kate's "novel" too (conflict of interest)?
gillyspot
gillyspot
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next