Missing Madeleine
Come join us...there's more inside you cannot see as a guest!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Missing Madeleine
Come join us...there's more inside you cannot see as a guest!
Missing Madeleine
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Riots in Tottenham now

+15
AnnaEsse
halfamo
Angelina
Angelique
mara thon
kitti
Keela
wjk
margaret
Top dog
fedrules
pennylane
Dimsie
mumbles
malena stool
19 posters

Page 3 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

Riots in Tottenham now - Page 3 Empty Re: Riots in Tottenham now

Post  Panda Mon 8 Aug - 1:27

sky News

Top Stories

Arrests In Enfield Amid Looting And Violence

12:29am UK, Monday August 08, 2011

Extra police have been deployed to Enfield to handle clashes that have
broken out this evening after a night of rioting in nearby Tottenham.

At least 200 youths are believed to be in the area Enfield High Street where
shop windows have been smashed and a police car attacked.

Scotland Yard confirmed several people have been arrested after looting in
the borough.

It said earlier it has an operation in place across the capital tonight, with
"high visibility" patrols being carried out.

Additional officers will be stationed in Tottenham throughout the night.

Hours of violence saw around 300 people battle police in north London on
Saturday night and into the early hours of Sunday.
Panda
Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 30555
Warning :
Riots in Tottenham now - Page 3 Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Riots in Tottenham now - Page 3 Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2010-03-27

Back to top Go down

Post  Panda Mon 8 Aug - 6:48

sky news

Shops in Brixton, south London, were targeted by looters, with the London
Fire Brigade sending six units to fight a fire at a Foot Locker store in Brixton
Road.

Other stores attacked by mobs, described by police as "small and mobile
groups," included Currys, Halfords and Body Shop.

Numerous people were seen carrying away looted goods, including boxed
widescreen television sets.
Panda
Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Warning :
Riots in Tottenham now - Page 3 Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Riots in Tottenham now - Page 3 Right_bar_bleue

Back to top Go down

Post  kitti Mon 8 Aug - 9:00

Indigo wrote:Have you all seen the other topic about the report so far. I'm not sure what to think and haven't been since this news broke. We are all meant to think that the man who died was a gangster who shot at police, but what if this isn't true. I am keeping an open mind until I get more information. Of course I am against the violence and looting.

His friends have said he carried his gun in his sock.....that enough proof.
kitti
kitti
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 13400
Warning :

Registration date : 2009-06-21

Back to top Go down

Post  chrissie Mon 8 Aug - 10:08

mumbles wrote:I've got a friend who lives in Enfield... and about 35 mins ago she wrote that there was a helicopter overhead and she could also hear shots being fired.

Hi Mumbles,

I live in Enfield and it was happening at the end of my road. I was absolutely terrified, scary stuff! Didn't get a wink of sleep last night in case they decided to go down the side roads. The town looks like a war zone this morning, police and vans everywhere :(
chrissie
chrissie
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Number of posts : 3288
Warning :

Registration date : 2009-08-28

Back to top Go down

Post  Panda Mon 8 Aug - 10:40

Hi chrissie,

I was in London visiting Friends and one night in Soho having a drink in a Bar before going to the theatre. suddenly, there was a roar of chanting and the sound of marching protesters against thje Poll Tax. The Landlord locked the Pub doors , if you know Soho the streets are very narrow.....it was quite
scary. Cars were burned that night as well by hooligans not genuine Protesters. Britain has it"s share of violence and the Government cutting Police
Forces is madness, yet Cameron can spend £3.5 million on a review of the McCann case!!!!
Panda
Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  AnnaEsse Mon 8 Aug - 10:44

chrissie wrote:
mumbles wrote:I've got a friend who lives in Enfield... and about 35 mins ago she wrote that there was a helicopter overhead and she could also hear shots being fired.

Hi Mumbles,

I live in Enfield and it was happening at the end of my road. I was absolutely terrified, scary stuff! Didn't get a wink of sleep last night in case they decided to go down the side roads. The town looks like a war zone this morning, police and vans everywhere :(

On Radio 4 this morning the Met Police were coming in for a great deal of criticism for not getting the situation under control. The officer who was responding was quite good. He said that they would have been accused of being heavy-handed if they had just gone in there with strength and also that police work shifts and they cannot always anticipate these things and have the manpower immediately available.

The numbers of police officers are being cut, but some people still expect an immediate response to situations like those we have seen in London.
AnnaEsse
AnnaEsse
Administrator
Administrator

Female
Number of posts : 18693
Warning :

Registration date : 2009-09-23

http://frommybigdesk.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  chrissie Mon 8 Aug - 12:41

AnnaEsse wrote:
chrissie wrote:

Hi Mumbles,

On Radio 4 this morning the Met Police were coming in for a great deal of criticism for not getting the situation under control. The officer who was responding was quite good. He said that they would have been accused of being heavy-handed if they had just gone in there with strength and also that police work shifts and they cannot always anticipate these things and have the manpower immediately available.

The numbers of police officers are being cut, but some people still expect an immediate response to situations like those we have seen in London.

I totally agree AnnaEsse. I really do not know what more the police could have done. Personally I think they did a good job. Here an interesting blog:

http://thewestlondoner.wordpress.com/2011/08/07/breaking-riots-in-enfield-edmonton-walthamsto-brixton/

The last photo on the blog of a little boy being handcuff outside 'my' Subway made sad.
chrissie
chrissie
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  AnnaEsse Mon 8 Aug - 14:52

chrissie wrote:
AnnaEsse wrote:
chrissie wrote:

Hi Mumbles,

I totally agree AnnaEsse. I really do not know what more the police could have done. Personally I think they did a good job. Here an interesting blog:

http://thewestlondoner.wordpress.com/2011/08/07/breaking-riots-in-enfield-edmonton-walthamsto-brixton/

The last photo on the blog of a little boy being handcuff outside 'my' Subway made sad.

Chrissie, thank you. Very interesting. And yes, that little lad being handcuffed is quite sad. He looks about 9/10.
AnnaEsse
AnnaEsse
Administrator
Administrator

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  chrissie Mon 8 Aug - 15:23

Looks like it's all ready to start again in Enfield this afternoon according to Twitter. Hope I can get to my house.
chrissie
chrissie
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  kitti Mon 8 Aug - 15:31

Feel sad for the old and disabled who will be terrified in their houses and that's not to say for the animals cowering somewhere when the fireworks were going off.

Do i feel sad for that child, sorry no, he's a looter whether he is 9 or 19....why isn't he indoors?
kitti
kitti
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 13400
Warning :

Registration date : 2009-06-21

Back to top Go down

Post  chrissie Mon 8 Aug - 15:41

Hi Kitti, I did feel sorry for the elderly people today. All the shops and banks were closed and I know that would have caused a lot of problems for them.

As for the little boy, yes he should have been indoors. I guess I found it sad given his tender age and obvious lack of any guidance.
chrissie
chrissie
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  mumbles Mon 8 Aug - 15:44

chrissie wrote:Looks like it's all ready to start again in Enfield this afternoon according to Twitter. Hope I can get to my house.

Hi Chrissie,

Sorry to hear that you live right bang in the middle of where all this is occurring... it must be terrifying for you.

Many years ago, my mum got stuck right in the middle of what almost become a riot in Wood Green, whilst on her way home from work.
She was in a mini... surrounded on all sides by screaming and angry youths and was lucky to get out in one piece. (as was the car)

Take care and stay safe. Riots in Tottenham now - Page 3 Icon_flower

mumbles
mumbles
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 2121
Warning :

Registration date : 2009-02-03

Back to top Go down

Post  chrissie Mon 8 Aug - 16:12

mumbles wrote:
chrissie wrote:Looks like it's all ready to start again in Enfield this afternoon according to Twitter. Hope I can get to my house.

Hi Chrissie,

Sorry to hear that you live right bang in the middle of where all this is occurring... it must be terrifying for you.

Many years ago, my mum got stuck right in the middle of what almost become a riot in Wood Green, whilst on her way home from work.
She was in a mini... surrounded on all sides by screaming and angry youths and was lucky to get out in one piece. (as was the car)

Hi Mumbles,

Your poor Mum! Sounds very frightening. I'll be fine, I'm just hoping they keep to the town centre and don't come down the residential streets.

Thank you Riots in Tottenham now - Page 3 Icon_flower

chrissie
chrissie
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  mumbles Mon 8 Aug - 16:19

chrissie wrote:
mumbles wrote:

Hi Chrissie,

Hi Mumbles,

Your poor Mum! Sounds very frightening. I'll be fine, I'm just hoping they keep to the town centre and don't come down the residential streets.

Thank you Riots in Tottenham now - Page 3 Icon_flower

I would imagine they'd stay in the town centre... where they can loot!

mumbles
mumbles
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 2121
Warning :

Registration date : 2009-02-03

Back to top Go down

Post  wjk Mon 8 Aug - 18:07

Keep safe xx
wjk
wjk
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 7815
Warning :

Registration date : 2009-08-20

Back to top Go down

Post  wjk Mon 8 Aug - 19:50

carmen wrote:
@MayorOfLondon Boris Johnson
Heading to the airport. Back in London tomorrow lunchtime. This mindless violence must cease.

Dear god! No rush, Boris!!
wjk
wjk
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Number of posts : 7815
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  Panda Mon 8 Aug - 20:21

Channel 4 News reporting apart from the 4 Boroughs affected, Birmingham could be having problems, though this is not confirmed. Reporter was saying
there are middleaged Men involved in the looting, a white man broke a window at an Optician and young lads started taking the stock on display and
were obviously working for him. A shop was demolished by throwing a burning Tyre inside and in the process demolished the whole building and all
the Residents on the first Floor had to flee with just the clothes they wore , everything they owned destroyed in the fire.

I really don"t know why they don"t call the Army in with their Water Tanks , a meeting in Hackney where the MP is speaking is apparently turning nasty.,
215 people arrested but only 25 charged. One Protester wearing a Grey Hoodie with just his eyes showing was voicing his protest........very brave of
him making sure he could not be identified. !!
Panda
Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  Panda Mon 8 Aug - 20:38

carmen wrote:
@Queen_UK Elizabeth Windsor
Never mind water cannon, having real cannons sent to Hackney. #londonriots
5 minutes ago

What"s this, Tweeter or Facebook? Whatever, great minds think alike,. Riots in Tottenham now - Page 3 25346
Panda
Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  Panda Mon 8 Aug - 21:03

Yes, very funny. We have the Mayor of London, Boris, reluctantly on his way back from Holiday, expected to arrive tomorrow, our Prime Minister in a
talkathon with the G7 , all the Countries Leaders, except Spain whose Prime Minister cancelled his holiday, making momentous decisions yet remaining
at their Holiday resorts. Riots in Tottenham now - Page 3 371436

shares around the World have dropped 5% at least.
Panda
Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  AnnaEsse Mon 8 Aug - 22:16

Yobs of the UK are uniting. I can hardly believe what is happening. No excuses. There are just so many of them all over this country, using the social media, like Twitter, to co-ordinate rioting and looting. I would never have believed there were so many feral young people. It's a real eye-opener about what our country has come to.
AnnaEsse
AnnaEsse
Administrator
Administrator

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  Dimsie Tue 9 Aug - 1:53

AnnaEsse wrote:Yobs of the UK are uniting. I can hardly believe what is happening. No excuses. There are just so many of them all over this country, using the social media, like Twitter, to co-ordinate rioting and looting. I would never have believed there were so many feral young people. It's a real eye-opener about what our country has come to.
Yes, it's an eye-opener all right. Maybe now those who think a softly-softly approach to social disorder is best will have to have a rethink. It always amazes me that anyone can actually believe that those who're prepared to take to the streets to riot and steal and set buildings and cars alight can somehow be persuaded with nice words to see the error of their ways and meekly head home. It might occasionally happen like that in old movies but it doesn't work in real life. Plastic bullets and tear gas might be pretty effective though ...

Dimsie
Dimsie
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Number of posts : 1476
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  Panda Tue 9 Aug - 3:04

A discussion on the News earlier came out with the usual twaddle "The Police are not trying to understand the problems in these Areas" "You have to understand, these are kids with no hope of a job, no Youth Club" etc .....there is NO excuse and the sooner the Parents, Teachers, Government take
action, the worse it will be. Apparently, they are using their Blackberrys to contact other gangs , how can they afford such expensive phones? There
is concern that the Olympic Games will be a target.
Panda
Panda
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Post  AnnaEsse Tue 9 Aug - 7:56

Panda wrote:A discussion on the News earlier came out with the usual twaddle "The Police are not trying to understand the problems in these Areas" "You have to understand, these are kids with no hope of a job, no Youth Club" etc .....there is NO excuse and the sooner the Parents, Teachers, Government take
action, the worse it will be. Apparently, they are using their Blackberrys to contact other gangs , how can they afford such expensive phones? There

I don't think the yobs who are involved are the type to sit around in a youth club playing Scrabble. And a good majority of them probably have no interest in education and don't want to be getting up early every morning to go to a job where they have to actually put in regular hours.
AnnaEsse
AnnaEsse
Administrator
Administrator

Female
Warning :

Back to top Go down

Riots in Tottenham now - Page 3 Empty hi

Post  Top dog Tue 9 Aug - 8:02

AnnaEsse wrote:
Panda wrote:A discussion on the News earlier came out with the usual twaddle "The Police are not trying to understand the problems in these Areas" "You have to understand, these are kids with no hope of a job, no Youth Club" etc .....there is NO excuse and the sooner the Parents, Teachers, Government take

I don't think the yobs who are involved are the type to sit around in a youth club playing Scrabble. And a good majority of them probably have no interest in education and don't want to be getting up early every morning to go to a job where they have to actually put in regular hours.

Someone came with an idea yesterday, I sort of modified it a bit how about water cannons, shooting out a non toxic green dye that will turn your skin green for 2 to 3 weeks, just round anyone with green dye on later, well got them. Riots in Tottenham now - Page 3 25346 Riots in Tottenham now - Page 3 25346 Riots in Tottenham now - Page 3 25346
Top dog
Top dog
Rookie
Rookie

Number of posts : 92
Warning :

Registration date : 2011-08-03

Back to top Go down

Post  pennylane Tue 9 Aug - 8:07

AnnaEsse wrote:Yobs of the UK are uniting. I can hardly believe what is happening. No excuses. There are just so many of them all over this country, using the social media, like Twitter, to co-ordinate rioting and looting. I would never have believed there were so many feral young people. It's a real eye-opener about what our country has come to.

I was speaking to a neighbour yesterday who has a second home in France.... he told me the English kids in the school's out there behave appallingly, and that they are obnoxious and use foul language and the teachers can't control them, whereas the French children have excellent manners and are courteous and well behaved. He also said he avoids the English ex-pats and much prefers to mingle with the French who leave fresh vegetables on his doorstep whenever he goes out there, and have been so kind and welcoming to him and his family.
pennylane
pennylane
Platinum Poster
Platinum Poster

Number of posts : 5353
Warning :

Registration date : 2010-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next